Bigotry and Racism

mechahamham

Over the past several days, I've noticed a distinct uptick in the amount of racism and bigotry I've seen in various chats. The usual pattern I've witnessed is that one person will say something slightly or very blatantly bigoted, including obvious slurs, and if they're called out on it, a couple others will leap to the defense and attack the person who speaks up. The language is straight off of 4chan in a lot of cases.

I've been wearing out the /petition button reporting these incidents.

It's no secret that other private CoH servers have pretty serious racism problems. Those people are coming here, infecting our servers with hatred and intolerance. Don't stand for it. Don't ignore it. Don't make excuses for it. Call it out when you see it, and /petition the people who do it.

Devs and GMs, please take the reports seriously when you get them.

We're better than this. Don't let hatred and bigotry ruin Homecoming.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

I dont speak for the GMs,  but they can and do take action on the reports.  It might not be instant and they dont make action taken public,  but they are working to keep the servers clean.

So keep sending reports of inappropriate behavior and dont get discouraged if the individual 'gets away with it' (they probably didnt).

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Report them and move on.  This is the internet and there will be a-holes, edgelords, and actual bigots.  I'm not excusing them, but you have to get a thicker skin - use the tools available to report them via the proper channels, block them, and don't let them get to you.  Don't acknowledge or respond to such people, as that's likely what they want.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

41 minutes ago, honoroit said:

i try, but the mods come by and wipe posts explaining fundamentalisms, why they harm, and how to spot them.

it is a problem on excelsior, I don't know if its contained there.  I hope so.

No, you attribute things to people with no proof and clutch pearls tighter than the clam that made them.  You've been advised of what the proper actions to take are, and that politics or the like are not be discussed on these forums.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

This has been, and always will be, a problem in any community.  Years ago I played in WoW (after CoH intentionally flew itself into the terrain) and there was not just blatant racism but active pedos.  Not kidding, people in open chat looking for minors.  I reported so much of it.  

I have not experienced this on Excelsior, to any extent really.  Maybe one or two political statements that were right off 4chan.  But no racism, bigotry, or illegal sexual slime.  Now, the last 4-5 weeks I have not been on much.  Busy busy.  Maybe the world rapidly evolved like the corpse I forgot to bury.  Freaking petri dish that.  Somehow I doubt it.  

Also, it is easy to be hyper sensitive to these issues.  Or... mostly unaware.  I am more unaware.  Because I dont care.  But if you are on the front lines of an issue any wrong word can seem like a "code word" or "targeted communication" when it might just be a blithely unaware person parroting something without thinking, or using a word the wrong way.  Again, this is DIFFERENT than blatant bigotry and deviancy.  

I have a number of amusing anecdotes about such topics.  Me completely unaware and ignorant hanging with various groups who are hyper aware and the miscommunications that can ensue.  As long as nothing is INTENTIONALLY hurtful and everyone is open to be educated and treating each other with respect this is a GOOD thing.  Broaden your horizons, elevate the discussion.

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mechahamham said:

Devs and GMs, please take the reports seriously when you get them.

FWIW: The Team does, they just don't make a lot of noise about it.

1 hour ago, mechahamham said:

We're better than this. Don't let hatred and bigotry ruin Homecoming.

We are, and we won't. 🫂

48 minutes ago, biostem said:

Don't acknowledge or respond to such people, as that's likely what they want.

This. Engagement is Validation in the minds of those who would stir up trouble in any form of online communication. Report them silently and move on with life.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

Take heart, the devs do react!  I've reported some stuff here on the forums and seen them get zapped, so I'm pretty sure they do it in-game as well. 

Just click ignore for them, maybe make a one-strar note for possible future use, and walk away.

• Thumbs Left 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

3 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Just click ignore for them, maybe make a one-strar note for possible future use, and walk away.

or maybe don't put them on ignore. take screenshots of the chat with timestamp on an upload it to your ticket through https://forums.homecomingservers.com/support/

I obviously agree with using the ignore button for somethings, but turning a blind-eye to wrong doing isn't one of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Oh yes, "report them" was a step I accidentally left out.  Big believer in doing so, which is how I got to see devs react.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

36 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

or maybe don't put them on ignore. take screenshots of the chat with timestamp on an upload it to your ticket through https://forums.homecomingservers.com/support/

I obviously agree with using the ignore button for somethings, but turning a blind-eye to wrong doing isn't one of them.

I do not think you need screenshots.  Cant the devs see the history?

I haven't seen too much of this directly but I wanting to report something and couldn't remember how. Anyone care to post a reminder?

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

42 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I haven't seen too much of this directly but I wanting to report something and couldn't remember how. Anyone care to post a reminder?

Menu/Support. Select "Harassment and Conduct". I copy and paste the offensive chat into the description box.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

whatever happened on excelsior yesterday, remains quite uncommon.

there are some persistent offenders, who're venomous about 'pandas', when theyre not even trying, or moreso in lacing venom into what they try to pass as innocuous.

then theres spam posting hate about colors of skin, as we saw on blast in several chat channels yesterday.

both are unwelcome, those that sew ruin longer term, and hang about, are worse, in my eye. basically, like terrorists.

we'll hope the diligent gm and homecoming team dont have to deal with as much of this, and I'll hope google search spiders gobble up pattern and practice from what includes homecoming forums.

the machine, theyll know us, soon enough.  this isnt good for the wildly bigoted / racist actor.

Edited by honoroit
  • Like 1

Last night on Excelsior it wasn't subtle or minor, some cat popped on and dropped what amounted to a paragraph worth of racial slurs, specifically the N word connected to the classic stereotypical associations with that word.  I reported then blocked.

For me its been about six months since I saw a blast of suck like that.  As others have said, its not common and the community reacts appropriately then moves on.

The key is reacting appropriately before moving on otherwise the foolish assume that silence equals acceptance.  They begin to believe that more people than there actually are agree with their words and over time become further emboldened, and as is the nature of humanity as a whole but especially the online world, some will begin to believe that it is acceptable, that its no big deal, that its snowflakes getting butt hurt.

Evil must always be challenged, fought and defeated and in a game based on heroes, it should be even more so.

Edited by High_Beam
Corrected Spelling Errors.
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Something something idiots.
Something something drag you down.
Something something beat you with experience.

Reacting to these asshats gives them what they want.

1. Report them.
  2. Mute/ignore them
  3. Move on

"Fighting" them simply gives them the affirmation they want.

979994153_trolls2-thumb-480x3411.jpg.124aaa59712d9c7f12fa20fad63ac5d8.jpg

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Same thing with the mental defectives who try to start up blatantly political crap.

We see enough of that crap every day.

I don't want to see it in my damn passtimes as well!

Edited by Hyperstrike
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

• Lead Game Master

So, the folks in this thread mostly have the right idea.

I'll add for clarification's sake that we prefer that users provide both the character name and global name when sending in a report. Note that, due to font and spelling shenanigans, that you should probably copy/paste the other user's name and global instead of just manually typing them. "lNSTIGAT0R" has an L and a zero in it, which may be hard to tell at a glance, and it will be harder to find the relevant log if you assume it was spelled correctly.

But otherwise, yes: Report, Ignore, and Move on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 7

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

39 minutes ago, High_Beam said:

Last night on Excelsior it wasn't subtle or minor, some cat popped on and dropped what amounted to a paragraph worth of racial slurs, specifically the N word connected to the classic stereotypical associations with that word.  I reported then blocked.

For me its been about six months since I saw a blast of suck like that.  As others have said, its not common and the community reacts appropriately then moves on.

The key is reacting appropriately before moving on otherwise the foolish assume that silence equals acceptance.  They begin to believe that more people than there actually are agree with their words and over time become further emboldened, and as is the nature of humanity as a whole but especially the online world, some will begin to believe that it is acceptable, that its no big deal, that its snowflakes getting butt hurt.

Evil must always be challenged, fought and defeated and in a game based on heroes, it should be even more so.

The response was impressively swift in chat.

Giving the advice of reporting, posting a note, and ignoring.

• Like 1

/e poofgone

2 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Anyone care to post a reminder?

You can also post a ticket directly in the forums by going to https://forums.homecomingservers.com/support/

It is the tab at the top just to the left of [Server Status]

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

11 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

Something something beat you with experience.

The one I prefer is Shaw, "Never wrestle with pigs.  You both get dirty and the pig likes it."

You gotta respect someone who lived 100 years ago offering the most perfectly concise description of internet trolls.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Snarky said:

This has been, and always will be, a problem in any community.  Years ago I played in WoW (after CoH intentionally flew itself into the terrain) and there was not just blatant racism but active pedos.  Not kidding, people in open chat looking for minors.  I reported so much of it.

You're right. And yet, at the same time...

I played korean MMOs (on english servers) before CoH, late 90s early 00s. Full-on PvP, extremely competitive. Racism and homophobic slurs were ubiquitous.

Then I moved straight to CoH. Where I don't think I've seen a single instance of either in years of play. Even in PvP zones.

It used to be there were pockets of ugly behavior in the most toxic communities, sure. Basically individuals using the most heinous stuff they can think of, either in frustration or to upset their enemies. With a select few nutjobs who genuinely believed these things and used the platform to air it out.

But now, there's a genuine racist counterculture. It used to be a casual cooperative game like CoH wouldn't attract this sort of behavior. The interconnectedness of everything makes us vulnerable too.

Ironically, I wish we could "segregate" again... The cool people who play CoH, of all colors and creds, away from the rest of the Internet. The way it used to be, mostly. I miss communities being distinctive islands. Although, it's worth praising just how much this community here has retained its identity.

Edited by nihilii
  • Like 2

I must have my blinders on because I have yet to witness what is being described.  If I were, my knee jerk response is to not engage or ignore user.  Engaging with trolls, especially emotionally charged trolls is a recipe to perpetuate a situation when keyboard warriors are so prevalent.  In real life, different approach for sure but online, report, ignore, don't engage is my mantra. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Crossie said:

I must have my blinders on because I have yet to witness what is being described.  If I were, my knee jerk response is to not engage or ignore user.  Engaging with trolls, especially emotionally charged trolls is a recipe to perpetuate a situation when keyboard warriors are so prevalent.  In real life, different approach for sure but online, report, ignore, don't engage is my mantra. 

Honestly I can't say I see it either, but then again most of the time I'm playing and not paying that much attention to chat.