Best way to help lower-level players in-game?

biostem

I want to preface this topic by saying I do not run farms for other people.  That being said, what I tend to do is run PI Council Radio mission teams that are open to anyone.  I also tend to drop 50+ SOs on low level characters in AP to sell or save, (I tend not to have large amounts of inf).  Any other things I can do on a casual basis to help others level up a bit?  What things do you folks like to do with your 50s when you aren't suffering a bought of alt-itis?  Thanks for your input!

I tend to hop on a lowbie or exempt down and help them with their missions or low level tfs. I try not to toss the kids in the deep end of the pool until their ready, as I'm not a fan of the random lvl 50 that has no clue what their doing or how to get anywhere.

I'm not saying that's the best way to help, but I think it helps produce a more well rounded player.

Edited by SeraphimKensai
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ask them what kind of help they want.

I think joining them to do content at their own level and giving them information when it come up naturally in play is the best way to nurture a fun understanding of the game.

But trying to give people help they don't want generally is more likely to deflate any interest they have.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think it depends on whether the low level is a new player or not, and the only way to know that is to ask them.

I've had people drop SOs on me on a level 2, and then I pull their global and email them a bn inf.  I appreciate their wanting to help, but not everyone wants or needs to be helped in that way.  Maybe they don't even know how to sell anything yet, or maybe they are running a fund-your-own-way challenge. 

Actually, I find the dropping of garbage items pretty offensive.  If you want to give me money, give me money.  Don't give me your rubbish.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

54 minutes ago, Snarky said:

form task forces.  lead task forces

I would like to add that the leader not assume the person knows the TF as well and actually lead not just form the team which some people equate to leading.

Edited by Kinestron
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Left 1

I help out in help channel if I know the answer or can make up a convincing answer. I don't do much other than that though. Maybe buy teammates certain enhancements if they are struggling with something. Told my low level team about the magic of Panacea proc and how you can slot it right away due to being a PVP enhancement, then bought everyone one that needed it. Even that is a fit of uncharacteristic generosity though since I'm generally a scrooge. 

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, FupDup said:

Before I log off I like to drop an Ouros portal so that somebody who doesn't have it unlocked on that alt yet can grab it. 

When I'm leading one of those PI radio teams, I tend to drop an Ouro portal if I need to head off, so I don;t leave any lower-level players stranded mid-zone.

Usually help running the lower level TF's.  Sometimes give them a Pancea or Performance Shifter Proc enhancements to help them with end issue. If they don't know about exploration badges I'll show them all the zones based on their level including the echo zones.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Fixed 

😉

In the defense of Snarky (yes, i talk about myself in the 3.5thst person) the Snarky has never (yet) quit a TF he formed.  Has wanted to when they wander up to City Hall in a Posi 1.  Snarky still has a horrible memory of one seriously useless team member who was flying around AP in that mission way up high and back and forth.  Like a drunk buzzard.  Then Snarky watched in horror as soon as we saved the 4th guy that drunk buzzard landed in front of City Hall door.  Then drunkenly flew away again.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, biostem said:

I want to preface this topic by saying I do not run farms for other people.  That being said, what I tend to do is run PI Council Radio mission teams that are open to anyone.  I also tend to drop 50+ SOs on low level characters in AP to sell or save, (I tend not to have large amounts of inf).  Any other things I can do on a casual basis to help others level up a bit?  What things do you folks like to do with your 50s when you aren't suffering a bought of alt-itis?  Thanks for your input!

1. I would team with lower level teams versus running level 50 missions. I have seen various fully IOed out Level 50s joining missions like Frostfire and that helps out a ton. I've seen someone consistently do it as a Tanker. I haven't really picked a Level 50 for this, but I might use my Time/rad Defender after I get them to 50. You get your primary by 21 with being exempted and for that build Rad is going to make lower level people hit more often.

2. Drop Level 50 common IO recipes instead. Those are worth way more and you aren't likely using them anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Their name is going to escape me, but there is a player who runs an amazing tour through zones gathering badges and unlocking long range travel access.

It is super organized, informative, and they'll offer to help folks if a bit slower. It's the most generous thing I've seen done in game.

Personally and aside from offering some start-up funding to red-siders from time to time, I think being patient is helpful.

Leading a couple lower level Trials and being sure to explain the badges at least briefly.

• Death from Below (DFB) level 1+
  • Drowning in Blood (DiB) level 15+
Edited by Troo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hi guys, just to turn it round a bit in the hope it just might dredge up other means of help, are there ways of helping we used to do that no longer are seen ingame ?

Am thinking of the fab Taxibots players and them getting me to Steel Icon or around the Shards 😀

And was it Captain Canada(?) who stood at Miss L dropping a million inf on new guys but really not needed now?

I always used to respond to a shout for a missing or not able to be found badge but hardly see shouts for help these days.

Anyways just a thought, keep safe all.

Edit because old brain, I do like to run the Bank missions red and blue side so the guys can get the explore badges. Do it using the unlocked contacts so proper quick.

Edited by Jacktar
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Troo said:

Their name is going to escape me, but there is a player who runs an amazing tour through zones gathering badges and unlocking long range travel access.

It is super organized, informative, and they'll offer to help folks if a bit slower. It's the most generous thing I've seen done in game.

Personally and aside from offering some start-up funding to red-siders from time to time, I think being patient is helpful.

Leading a couple lower level Trials and being sure to explain the badges at least briefly.

• Death from Below (DFB) level 1+
  • Drowning in Blood (DiB) level 15+

Okemi Okama... I am probably (definitely,,) misspelling that.  Been on that tour with a number of alts.  Great service from a cool player

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, biostem said:

I haven't done this in a while, but sometimes I will lead DFB's and pay "bounties" for whoever gets the killshot on Tinder, etc. I align that with the badges, too, so that no bounty is paid out if a cadaver is killed first when fighting Dr. Meinst, for example. It's relatively minor transfer of inf, but I hope it also gets new players used to reading (freakin') chat. Honestly, it's a bit of a bookkeeping nightmare, which is why I wish we had the ability to click a player name and select "Send Mail" and have it pop up with a message formatted to their global. I'd probably do that more often if it was easier.

MSRs are pretty easy to lead (they almost run themselves nowadays) and can net a fair amount of XP for players. The other rewards from an MSR maybe aren't so great given the time commitment, though, and I do know some people just sit AFK in the bowl which irritates some. Still, there are plenty of people who enjoy getting the XP from that.

My only other suggestion would be exactly what you are doing already. So, keep that up!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ZemX said:

Okuri Okami.  From Japanese folklore.

Dude is awesome.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Make their experience positive by showing patience, generosity and plain ol' good manners (I could say this about all PUGs in general, of course--especially since I've run into a few more examples of the opposite of late).

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

5 hours ago, Jacktar said:

Hi guys, just to turn it round a bit in the hope it just might dredge up other means of help, are there ways of helping we used to do that no longer are seen ingame ?

Low level mission teams are almost non existent thesedays with DFB and double XP catapulting people to level 20

the days of running frostfire, lowbie kings row missions etc are long gone. the extreme pace of the game removes the gradual learning curve people experience through running that type of content

most of us have less free time compared to 15 years ago, spending 2-3 months of regular gameplay to reach 50 is out of the question for many of us, can always be nostalgic though 😀

apart from the absolutely crawl lvl 39-45 used to be.. not nostalgic about that

I see Frostfire being run decently enough. I aim to unlock it on any new character. Seeing a lower level team being run is also not out of the question. I'm not saying they are being run every time I log in, but I do see them run often. I know I saw a lower level team being run this morning. 35-50 can be be done on the casual in a couple of weeks. Getting to 35 isn't that difficult. I can cakewalk hitting 15 much of it solo on a Sat/Sun. 

Edited by Without_Pause
  • Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I will help in Help channel answering legitimate questions.  If I am on a PUG with em I try to be supportive.

Otherwise its totally situational because some of my ideas for helping others aren't always helping and at time are dictating how they should play which I have no real right to do; my position on banning all farming being top of the list.  That's why in game I keep those ideas in my pants.

There are real helpers out there, as well as boosters.  Okuri Okami the explore badges is for sure one.  Oklahoman for the iTrial cycles, Blapperella for consistent quality speed runs, Monty Haull and Captain Canada with their Atlas Park philanthropy, Yomo and the free money and others of course.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)