Trick or treat etiquette? Rules?

Gerswin

• Game Master

Most of the things you ask are fine, but a lot of players specifically roll new characters to take advantage of the extra XP and the protection of large leagues. As GM's the only things we frown on are AFK masterminds leeching the rewards, and bad manners. 

As for location, just remember there are plenty of places to ToT. A league doesn't cause too much lag or problems, but 2 or more leagues can cause so much lag the rewards are severely reduced. If the lag is terrible consider moving your league to another location in the zone.

Edited by GM Crumpet
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Also it's not just MM's as afk leeches. That's a common choice because their pets, but I've seen enough ranged ATs targeting through a door clicker with an taoe on auto that it becomes very obvious.

I've led several of these leagues last year, and I have absolutely no qualms about lowbies coming along as long as they are actively working, and I have enough 50s to support their team. I do actively observe and boot people that are AFK as there's more often than not someone in broadcast looking to join.

TLDR...can be summed up with a quote "I only have one rule, everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll kill you myself. Welcome to the Roughnecks."

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

13 hours ago, biostem said:

I didn't see any announcements;  Is the ToT event even live now, or is this an anticipatory thread?

Shoot, is this happening already??

• Confused 1

Well, which is it, young feller?  You want I should freeze or get down on the ground?
If'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop.  And if'n I drop I'll be in motion.

• Game Master
2 hours ago, roleki said:

Shoot, is this happening already??

Not yet. People are just discussing the etiquette involved. Should be live first or second week in October. It depends on when Cipher and the other yellow admins decide to flick the switch

Edited by GM Crumpet
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

As someone who runs MSRs, my advice is you should never assume the person running the league is okay with you dual boxing or leeching. If they notice either, don't be surprised if you get kicked.

If you need to go AFK, say something in chat and take care of your business quickly. If something is going to keep you away for a while, you should drop out of the league. Remember that player notes are a thing and it's hard to tell the difference between a ditz and a deliberate leech.

Lowbies are fine as long as they put in an effort to contribute.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

21 hours ago, srmalloy said:

Not even necessarily with an AoE heal on auto, although that helps ensure their pets stay alive; last couple of Halloween events, you could pretty much expect to have at least two Bots MMs running Group Fly to keep their pets in the air in the middle of the courtyard 24/7, like the people camping Adamastor in Echo: Dark Astoria.

Pretty sure I've spotted at least one person's character who's done both, yeah.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 9/26/2023 at 5:35 PM, Black Zot said:

He's talking about a prime ToT farming location in Peregrine Island.  It's technically a motel, but either way it tends to attract ToT leagues because there's so many doors in close proximity, making it super easy to crank through waves of Halloween baddies.

Ah, thanks. I was wondering if some weird new Overlook Hotel feature had been added to the H'ween event. (I've been away from the City for a while.)

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

7 hours ago, Kita said:

Did someone say trick or treat?

peanuts-rock.webp

Rock

Temp Melee Moderate.png

Description

You got a rock.

How to Get

The rock was a treat that was given out during the Halloween Event. It is a ranged attack that does a small amount of smashing damage.

Power Summary

Duration 1 use
Damage Smashing
Effects Ranged Smashing Damage

Notes

Unlike many temporary powers, it is possible to get more than one rock at a time. They show up separately in a character's temporary powers list, instead of increasing the charges of the first rock.

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Rock

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

8 hours ago, smnolimits43 said:

when does the halloween event normally start ??

The first week of October usually it seems, but ....

15 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

Not yet. People are just discussing the etiquette involved. Should be live first or second week in October. It depends on when Cipher and the other yellow admins decide to flick the switch

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 9/26/2023 at 7:02 PM, Gerswin said:

Can someone fill me in on the "rules" of ToT?

Is multiboxing ok at the hotel? Afk multiboxing? 

Is soloing at the hotel permitted?

Is it rude to have a team and not invite lowbies who are asking for invites?

If you are badge hunting for a certain enemy is it BM to leave without killing the full spawns?

Individual leagues or shards may have different etiquette involved. I've already put up Torchbearer's etiquette for the season, but it remains largely unchanged from year to year.

Soloing at the Motel and leaving your mobs behind isn't terrible, as they will get taken down. Leaving mobs elsewhere is kind of like littering. Please clean up after yourself. Even if you spawn 50 +3 mobs in PI, you might have some low 40's get wiped out. For GM hunts in PI (or any zone) itself, you need to clear out the Unseelies as they will prevent a new GM spawn and they are a right pain to search for.

If you want to solo or run a team, that's your prerogative. You can invite whomever you want. Want to multiboxing on a team by yourself, eh. Multibox on a team with others, if they're cool with it I guess. It's your team, invite whomever you like.

As we've run it on Torch, we have a few ground rules. Frequent or prolonged AFKs will be kicked to make room for active players. I typically invite in the order that was asked and endeavor to not play favorites (unless I need a 50). Multiboxing is heavily discouraged, with only 2 specific exceptions. Homecoming's multiboxing CoC are the community rules, but as a player led event, I reserve the right to limit you to one spot on my league when others are waiting. AFK multiboxing on the league, that's multiple kicks. We leave the league open to anyone that wants to join, participate, and be nice. As I've said, other leagues or shards may follow different rules. Generally speaking playing alongside the league is usually fine.

On 9/26/2023 at 9:02 PM, Hedgefund said:

If you're a 50 and the team lead within a league, even involuntarily, please, I implore you when you're ready to leave,  find another 50 in the league that's not a team lead and work with the league leader to get another 50 to take over the star for your team.  I'm sure most everybody reading this has been ToTing and suddenly found themselves fighting EBs +20 to them.

That is so true. League leads cannot change player position within the teams themselves so it's a lot of work to get it rearranged.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

faceplant.jpg

Torchbearer Temporary Hero-ing:

Experts in - Soil Analysis, Hamidon & Hive Viscera Clean-up, Mayhem Motel Menacing, Advertising Aficionados, Undertaking, Undertaken, and........

Spoiler

The Spanish Inquisition!!!

• Game Master
50 minutes ago, Herah said:

Individual leagues or shards may have different etiquette involved. I've already put up Torchbearer's etiquette for the season, but it remains largely unchanged from year to year.

Soloing at the Motel and leaving your mobs behind isn't terrible, as they will get taken down. Leaving mobs elsewhere is kind of like littering. Please clean up after yourself. Even if you spawn 50 +3 mobs in PI, you might have some low 40's get wiped out. For GM hunts in PI (or any zone) itself, you need to clear out the Unseelies as they will prevent a new GM spawn and they are a right pain to search for.

If you want to solo or run a team, that's your prerogative. You can invite whomever you want. Want to multiboxing on a team by yourself, eh. Multibox on a team with others, if they're cool with it I guess. It's your team, invite whomever you like.

As we've run it on Torch, we have a few ground rules. Frequent or prolonged AFKs will be kicked to make room for active players. I typically invite in the order that was asked and endeavor to not play favorites (unless I need a 50). Multiboxing is heavily discouraged, with only 2 specific exceptions. Homecoming's multiboxing CoC are the community rules, but as a player led event, I reserve the right to limit you to one spot on my league when others are waiting. AFK multiboxing on the league, that's multiple kicks. We leave the league open to anyone that wants to join, participate, and be nice. As I've said, other leagues or shards may follow different rules. Generally speaking playing alongside the league is usually fine.

That is so true. League leads cannot change player position within the teams themselves so it's a lot of work to get it rearranged.

Sounds like very reasonable rules to me. As a team GMs try to stay out of league stuff, a league leader makes the rules and if people don't like it they are free to go make a league of their own.

• Thumbs Up 2

My only beefs from last year was the afk bots mm flying that was grouped that intentionally would leech kills to grief others in PI and league leaders that would go AFK.

PI because of those 2 things was a bit of a nightmare.    

And on rare occasion there was the issues with people teleporting others to fight GM's when the leagues had the consensus not to(as folks would not always have.. especially on new toons, the teleport prompt on).  

That said, The groups at Khalista Warf were exceptional and I hope it becomes as successful this year (and more the go to this year vs PI) as it was there last year.

• Like 4

On 9/27/2023 at 7:30 AM, Random Axis said:

I don't get why you want to be at the motel if there are already tons of people there. Plenty of other places with lots of doors you can go to.

Precisely *because* there are tons of people - enemies are constantly coming out, so you're sure to get bosses and get all the badges, get a ton of XP (and if they do the same as last year, get your 10 prismatics quickly.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 9/27/2023 at 7:40 PM, sh1zuchan said:

As someone who runs MSRs, my advice is you should never assume the person running the league is okay with you dual boxing or leeching. If they notice either, don't be surprised if you get kicked.

Isn't that against the CoC anyway? (Dual boxing in MSR or Hami, specifically.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

4 hours ago, Greycat said:

Isn't that against the CoC anyway? (Dual boxing in MSR or Hami, specifically.)

The CoC does not specify this. The multi-boxing policy only describes how many accounts can be active from one user given a set population per shard. A player could probably read between the lines and connect this to treating other players with respect to say that players shouldn't outright leech during league-wide events like MSR or Hami (but I'll let that to the GMs to adjudicate).

Edit: Disregard my above reply.

Edited by Glacier Peak

Hamidon is addressed in the CoC

An exception to this rule is Hamidon raid zones (The Hive, The Abyss) which have a limited population cap. No multiboxing is allowed in these zones. Breaking this rule may result in all of your characters being removed from the zone and short-term suspensions being issued for repeat offenders

See https://forums.homecomingservers.com/code-of-conduct/#multiboxing-policy

MSRs, or any player event for that matter, can have rules set by the league leader and very frequently you'll see MSR leaders have that policy.

I did see an exception to 2-boxing on an Indom Hami I joined.  Let's just say a multi-boxer taking up an active player's spot isn't an issue for them.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Hedgefund said:

Hamidon is addressed in the CoC

See https://forums.homecomingservers.com/code-of-conduct/#multiboxing-policy

MSRs, or any player event for that matter, can have rules set by the league leader and very frequently you'll see MSR leaders have that policy.

I did see an exception to 2-boxing on an Indom Hami I joined.  Let's just say a multi-boxer taking up an active player's spot isn't an issue for them.

MSRs are also operating under a tightly-capped zone population (RWZ is capped at 50) and really should have the same restriction.  If it's not in the CoC, that's a grievous oversight.

Can someone fill me in on the "rules" of ToT?

Sure thing

one door at a time
clean up your spawns

share the doors its an open city

call out if you see jack or eochai people might need them for the badge

call out if you get one of the malleus missions people need those for the 6-7 achievements as well

If a zombie invasion occurs joining or starting a league is always a good thing

be courteous its a holiday activity for fun

Is multiboxing ok at the hotel? Afk multiboxing? 

Both are considered bad manners you should be participating not just leeching

s soloing at the hotel permitted?

Sure it is but youd have a better chance in a large group of getting badges and drops if you want to solo there are many good locations all over the city

Is it rude to have a team and not invite lowbies who are asking for invites?

if you are soloing with friends and dont want to invite anyone else that is fine  a simple and POLITE denial of the asking party would be acceptable but if you are with a friend and have room the more the merrier i say

If you are badge hunting for a certain enemy is it BM to leave without killing the full spawns?

Yes it is BM to just leave the spawn its like littering always clean up your trash

Finally, are there any zones where the etiquette is relaxed and you are pretty much free to play as you wish without angering anyone?

Nope Bad manners is Ban manners everywhere you go and good manners are encouraged everywhere as well

be polite, share. and help where you can

Edited by catsi563
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

2 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

The CoC does not specify this. The multi-boxing policy only describes how many accounts can be active from one user given a set population per shard. A player could probably read between the lines and connect this to treating other players with respect to say that players shouldn't outright leech during league-wide events like MSR or Hami (but I'll let that to the GMs to adjudicate).

Nope, it is indeed in the COC:

An exception to this rule is Hamidon raid zones (The Hive, The Abyss) which have a limited population cap. No multiboxing is allowed in these zones. Breaking this rule may result in all of your characters being removed from the zone and short-term suspensions being issued for repeat offenders

and I know it's been enforced in the RWZ, too, at least during MSRs.

Edited by Greycat
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Nope, it is indeed in the COC:

and I know it's been enforced in the RWZ, too, at least during MSRs.

I thought it was said explicitly in the RWZ.  Oh well.  Maybe because of a multibox running thru to a mission or something in the zone, but there should be wording about MSRs.

I think the only multibox that made sense in a ToT setting was the few times that there was a lack of 50s and someone would get an anchor for team until it wasn't needed.  (Come to think of it last year at least one league leader had the incan return point to the motel by a second.

One other thing during the Motel League that I didn't see mentioned:

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Whispered_Rumor

If you get this tip, see if the league can set up a team for running these.   Every so often, you'd get someone below 50 start the mission causing the whole team to drop level.

• Thumbs Up 1