Sigh...this is why we can't have nice things.

Skyhawke

Popped into the university to craft some IOs and when I went to buy some salvage I was out of, I ran into someone realllllly overpricing all the basic salvage. Why, oh why (besides the obvious) do people do this?

what.jpg

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

25 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

10,000 is the cap.  I'd be willing to bet that there common salvage offered significantly lower than that.  10,000 is just what someone paid for the last five.

Yeah, but now when I bid the usual 300 it doesn't take. I know it'll go back down, but at the moment, it was driving me batty. Seems like a dick move to me. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

As long as you're not in "buy it now" mode it's rarely an issue.  I tend to plan ahead on my crafters and put in bids for common salvage well below 300 and it's extremely rare to not have them filled by then next time I log on that character.

Now uncommon salvage on the other hand, it's going for an order of magnitude higher than it used to regularly and that's apparently the new norm.  It's surged up for a while before but did eventually come down.  It doesn't look like that's going to happen this time.  I don't know if there's been discussion about why or if anyone knows the reason.  My best guess is that it's mainly fallout from the farming nerfs.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Snarky said:

People are derps.   Vampires drain derps.  Vampires are here to make the world a better place

You're slacking. The Derps to Non-Derps ratio in the world clearly demonstrates this.

Get Back To Work.

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

4 hours ago, Skyhawke said:

Yeah, but now when I bid the usual 300 it doesn't take. I know it'll go back down, but at the moment, it was driving me batty. Seems like a dick move to me. 🤷‍♂️

Try bidding for one at a time up in modest increments until you find a reasonable price that fills instantly. If there isn't one today, wait until tomorrow.

11 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

You're slacking. The Derps to Non-Derps ratio in the world clearly demonstrates this.

Get Back To Work.

you know how much effort goes into disposal?  you either spend all night on it yourself or subcontract out to idiots.  who are almost always derps who then need to also be disposed of.  it never ends

How to Bury a Dead Body - YouTube

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Maybe so, but who wants to have to live on a pig farm?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Sure, it's absolutely a dick move... but unless you're dealing in truly massive quantities, 10,000 inf is still kind of a drop in the bucket.

• Like 2

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

3 minutes ago, Mjolnerd said:

Sure, it's absolutely a dick move... but unless you're dealing in truly massive quantities, 10,000 inf is still kind of a drop in the bucket.

Sometimes it's the principle, but really all it does is make it more difficult for newer players that haven't built up a stash

• Like 6

1 hour ago, lemming said:

Sometimes it's the principle, but really all it does is make it more difficult for newer players that haven't built up a stash

This takes me back ti starting a new villain and getting a Luck Charm, 15,000 and feeling like i was rolling in it lololol

Edited by Snarky

7 hours ago, Skyhawke said:

I'm not sure what the dick move is here.  Is it that someone else bid 10,000 for 5 or more common salvage, or is it that someone else didn't post common salvage when you wanted it at or under your price point?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?

The last 5 are notoriously incorrect at times. I've never paid for a common that was more than 100.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

A friend who knows well more about the market than I says there are currently extensive attempts to manipulate it.

Someone who never took an economics course, and has more inf than int. (Not me; I'm tied at best!)

So, I guess we can soldier on, posting and buying stuff at a proper price, or say "Screw it!" and win by not playing.

Person-to-person trades and base storage still work, and I don't know about you, but I have a bunch pf Brainstorms to burn!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

IMO, this is an example where "just wait until the price stabilizes" doesn't make sense. Because the item in question is a Common Salvage, how long is the reasonable waiting time? An hour? Fifteen minutes? Everyone can go to Ouro, select a mission with arcane enemies, set its difficulty to -1x8, and run it.

For example, when I ran Defeat Goddess Hequat Mission, I got two spirit thorns from the 98th and 109th Mu critter. In Catch Dr. Aeon, I got three from the 37th, 48th, and 59th Arachnos critter. In Get Void Hunter rifles for Abyss, I got four from the 111th, 135th, 233rd, and 263rd Council critter. None of these mobs are arcane type.

I will get the correct common salvages after defeating around 100 critters, so I won't wait since I can get them in less than an hour. Or, from another perspective, paying thousands of Inf* to skip killing 100 critters doesn't quite make sense.

Low-level toons would take longer to kill 100 critters, but I am sure it's quicker to run a few missions than waiting for the price drops.

council.csv mu.csv arachnos.csv mu.txt arachnos.txt council.txt

1 hour ago, MoonSheep said:

if it’s not buying for 300, why not just bid 11,111 and get it instantly?

8 hours ago, lemming said:

• Like 3

Pretty sure this doesn't happen often.  I usually drop a lot of commons at a time and price them all at 255, and have them take days to sell out.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

i was on a couple teams with noobs and older noobs in the last year and the topic comes up on how to transfer influence between characters.  The players had no concept of sending money between characters in email or thought the limit was 10,000.    They would just bid up a piece of junk.  Not sure the risk in that but COH players always find a way around things.

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

2 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

if it’s not buying for 300, why not just bid 11,111 and get it instantly?

And then the price becomes 11,111 and now people think they need to pay even higher for a buy it now pricing which in turn just keeps raising the price. At some point you have to ask yourself why are you paying that much for common salvage? See uncommon salvage the past few months.

If at some point all my characters were maybe level 30 or above, I would be swimming in uncommons and selling stacks of them, and yet, that market has nearly jumped 11x what it was a few months ago. Part of the problem is that all common and uncommon salvage are bucketed into one price point. This means uncommons which only work for low level recipes are now showing up as the same price as ones which are needed for higher end recipes or in reality certain salvage drops way more often and hence has a higher supply will show its listing as something with lower supply. Case in point, Gold drops a ton for me, and I hardly ever actually need it, so I sell stacks of it. Meanwhile, the uncommons used to help flip Level 41 Def recipes are listed as the same price, and those can be much harder to come by, and I would use them way more.

Edited by Without_Pause

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Buy a single item low and sell it for 3 million profit and then go buy 300 common salvage at the seeded price of 10,000.  Or wait for bids to fill at 300 inf and get 10,000 common salvage.

Even at the seeded price,  common salvage is still too inexpensive to matter.  I killed a single lvl 52 boss and can almost afford 4 of them at max price.  Clear 2 spawns of level 50 enemies and buy 30 of them,  sell a white recipe drop to a vendor and buy 10 of them.  Literally 1 minute of fighting enemies lets you afford multiple common salvage at 10,000.