Sigh...this is why we can't have nice things.

Skyhawke

37 minutes ago, ZemX said:

Sales below 10K are always from players putting salvage on the auction house for that price or cheaper.  Seeded salvage is 10K.  Period.  The only way you can possibly buy seeded salvage is if you bid 10K or more (which you did) and if you first purchase ALL items offered for less than 10K (which you can't be sure of since you didn't bid 9,999).

Think of it as a community donation. 🤪

damn, i am now tempted to drop perhaps 50-70M on sub 10K bids to see whether it has any impact

i think even if i depleted the sub-10k player held salvage it would quickly return to normal with people putting bids back on the market for low prices. it would need near continuous bids placed for sub 10K to hold the price high

I saw someone in chat mention buying 40k (I think that's the number) boosters, that's why I proffer it's mostly the work of one person.  Certainly that has a cascading effect of "buy-it-naos" needing to exceed 2M that draws in additional buyers.

Edited by Hedgefund

7 minutes ago, Hedgefund said:

I saw someone in chat mention buying 40k (I think that's the number) boosters, that's why I proffer it's mostly the work of one person.  Certainly that has a cascading effect of "buy-it-naos" needing to exceed 2M that draws in additional buyers.

I agree its possible, but that's spending 80 Billion to get stuff that would be worth half that in a few weeks, and that could have been bought for half that a few weeks prior. 

Edited by Andreah

30 minutes ago, Hedgefund said:

Speaking of boosters, thank you to whoever put out all those 2M inf bids.  I owe you a Christmas card, this was the largest inf generating event I've had in this game.  I spent over 2.5 hours one day just acquiring them with merits and throwing them on AH.  Let's just say it put me at an inf threshold I never expected to get to.

I play rarely now (although a few months ago i was grinding for months...time off lol)   The best INF generating I had this year was at the end of that hot streak.  Another player who is never on anymore happenwed by.  I asked them for 2 billion to continue my alt building madness. (They a whale, though not as ginormous as Yomo...)  They gave 2 billion to each of the team that asked that night.  (all old SG mates)  

That is how you get things.  Be a vampire.  Leech baby leech.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ZemX said:

Similarly, posting a sale for more than 10K will never succeed because anyone bidding higher than 10K will be connected with the lowest offer, which is guaranteed to be, at most, 10K.

I haven't checked this recently, but it should still hold.

There are people with outstanding offers on common salvage over 10,000; on uncommon salvage over 100,000; and on rare salvage over 1mm.  Those offers will stay there until either the seeded amounts get bought, the offers get taken down, or the accounts get deleted.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

20 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I play rarely now (although a few months ago i was grinding for months...time off lol)

But it's spooky season!!  Is this like the vampires and monsters in Buffy that try and lay low because they find Halloween cheesy or something?

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 minute ago, Story Archer said:

How does somebody rig 10 million pieces of basic salvage?

If they're a developer they enter it directly into the database. There may be some fancy scripting involved, and it might need to go in as multiple chunks, but having backened access to the database means the usual rules we as players have (limited market slots, stacks of ten, etc) to follow don't apply.

1 hour ago, Story Archer said:

How does somebody rig 10 million pieces of basic salvage?

s-l1200.webp

... but, seriously, sometimes the market is crazy busy and it's trying to do its shell game to manipulate where stuff is going.

Some people bid on something than then rapidly put in a higher bid, etc. until they get what they want. Each time they do the the market has to calculate they them placing the bid and removing the bid which add more time in the delay. Then the market gets less busy for a moment and suddenly the sale goes through.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 10/22/2023 at 7:29 AM, TheZag said:

Buy a single item low and sell it for 3 million profit and then go buy 300 common salvage at the seeded price of 10,000.  Or wait for bids to fill at 300 inf and get 10,000 common salvage.

Even at the seeded price,  common salvage is still too inexpensive to matter.  I killed a single lvl 52 boss and can almost afford 4 of them at max price.  Clear 2 spawns of level 50 enemies and buy 30 of them,  sell a white recipe drop to a vendor and buy 10 of them.  Literally 1 minute of fighting enemies lets you afford multiple common salvage at 10,000.

Or, you could be level 7 and need some salvage to craft a nifty recipe you got from the AH at a bargain. But the rascally marketing cabal has seen fit to bid higher than "normal" and have sucked up all the cheap supply, and then they relist it even higher prices. It's a short term manipulation that won't last. But, for that level 7 or other lowbie trying to craft something on the cheap - it's not so inexpensive to them. 

I'm just glad the damned things are capped at 10k inf. 

Also, it makes me want to farm just to dump salvage on the market cheap. But that's kind of boring. 

3 minutes ago, Perfidy said:

Or, you could be level 7 and need some salvage to craft a nifty recipe you got from the AH at a bargain. But the rascally marketing cabal has seen fit to bid higher than "normal" and have sucked up all the cheap supply, and then they relist it even higher prices. It's a short term manipulation that won't last. But, for that level 7 or other lowbie trying to craft something on the cheap - it's not so inexpensive to them. 

I'm just glad the damned things are capped at 10k inf. 

Also, it makes me want to farm just to dump salvage on the market cheap. But that's kind of boring. 

I sell my common salvage at 100 ... or less 🙂 

/e poofgone

35 minutes ago, Perfidy said:

Or, you could be level 7 and be able to sell some unneeded salvage for higher than "normal" prices, and be able to afford SOs or whatever other salvage or recipes you want.

High salvage prices aren't hurting the low level player; they help them since they can now sell it to others at higher prices.  Inflation hurts most those who already have the most money in storage, and it benefits those who are earning at market rates.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

I just cant get behind the argument that new characters cant afford stuff.  I had a new character that was given 2 inf as a joke from another player.  I went on the AH and with only that 2 inf,  i kept buying and selling until i got bored of tracking the profits at about 10 million inf.  Granted the first few transactions were for common salvage and my bid took several hours to fill,  but once i made a few hundred inf it went really quick.  Vendor 3 crappy enhancement drops for that first few thousand inf and go make it into several million in a day.

2 minutes ago, TheZag said:

I just cant get behind the argument that new characters cant afford stuff.  I had a new character that was given 2 inf as a joke from another player.  I went on the AH and with only that 2 inf,  i kept buying and selling until i got bored of tracking the profits at about 10 million inf.  Granted the first few transactions were for common salvage and my bid took several hours to fill,  but once i made a few hundred inf it went really quick.  Vendor 3 crappy enhancement drops for that first few thousand inf and go make it into several million in a day.

So, I completely see your point, and Yomo's above. But there are a number of folks who have no idea how this is done. Those 80-90% of folks who <gasp> have never even heard of Yomo, let alone knew to ask him for 20M no questions asked. 

They are just there to play, organically, without thought to how to kit out their characters, or any thought to how to finance the items required to kit out the character. So, their ignorance results in an artificial increase in the volume of cries about how hard it is to earn inf. Fun comes in a variety of different ways for different people. Some folks are NEVER going to accept the tedium of bidding low and selling high in a game. They're just not going to do it, no matter how fantastic the YouTube videos by Dahle and the written guides here by Yomo are. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheZag said:

One time I went and saw a few recipes for an often not used debuff set and there were zero bids, so I on a whim put in a bid of 1. I instantly got it. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

3 hours ago, TheZag said:

That’s you though.

Others just want to play and be able to afford the basics without dedicating hours/days trying to play the market - so it’s quite understandable that new players don’t have the funds.

And stuff like this is exactly why I stock every type of salvage in my base.

"But why keep common salvage? Just buy it on the AH if you need some."

Yeah, no thanks. I'd rather be able to just step into my base, step over to the crafting building, and make anything I need without having to go in and out of the base to buy salvage. I've got about 20 of every type of common, 10 of every uncommon, and 6-8 of every rare. I can make anything I need. 

If I DO manage to run out of rare salvage, I've got a couple dozen characters with 9000 AE tickets who can just hop up and buy a bunch and restock.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, WumpusRat said:

And stuff like this is exactly why I stock every type of salvage in my base.

"But why keep common salvage? Just buy it on the AH if you need some."

Yeah, no thanks. I'd rather be able to just step into my base, step over to the crafting building, and make anything I need without having to go in and out of the base to buy salvage. I've got about 20 of every type of common, 10 of every uncommon, and 6-8 of every rare. I can make anything I need. 

If I DO manage to run out of rare salvage, I've got a couple dozen characters with 9000 AE tickets who can just hop up and buy a bunch and restock.

I am the opposite of you. I keep nothing other than purples and other similar super rare things, and not only do I not store stuff in base, I don't even have a base. Overall I prefer to use the market as a storage service, and occasionally paying extra for stuff is my fee for not having to organize or store anything myself. Paying extra usually hurts my sense of decency more than my wallet realistically, and I'm certainly not someone with multiple billions. As long as my funds keep up with my new character's Gucci builds that's enough for me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, A Cat said:

I am the opposite of you. I keep nothing other than purples and other similar super rare things, and not only do I not store stuff in base, I don't even have a base. Overall I prefer to use the market as a storage service, and occasionally paying extra for stuff is my fee for not having to organize or store anything myself. Paying extra usually hurts my sense of decency more than my wallet realistically, and I'm certainly not someone with multiple billions. As long as my funds keep up with my new character's Gucci builds that's enough for me. 

A base is handy to store the rare stuff at least.   I also don't bother storing commons or uncommons.  I zip through my base between teams, sell off common IO recipes and anything over about level 40 that isn't terribly valuable (since they aren't worth crafting at that level).  Then I hit the table and craft anything that shows up bold, meaning I happen to be carrying the salvage for it.  Then I hit the quartermaster and sell any common/uncommon salvage that has more than 3 in a stack.  Keeping 3 means I end up with a good variety for crafting those random recipes.  When I start to be annoyed by the random set IOs I am accumulating in my trays, I take a few extra minutes to convert them into something that sells well and I post it on the AH.

This is sort of the minimum effort I'm willing to make to sell what is dropped to me in one way or another.  I suppose I should be dumping the common salvage on the AH instead of vendoring it so it'd be available for others to purchase.  Maybe I'll think about that.

20 hours ago, Perfidy said:

Some folks are NEVER going to accept the tedium of bidding low and selling high in a game. They're just not going to do it, no matter how fantastic the YouTube videos by Dahle and the written guides here by Yomo are. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.