Run, Jump, or Fly?

All of them!!!!  If you are concerned about being stuck on the ground there are many cheap jet packs to buy from p2w, earn from bank missions or other sources.  I put the power that best fits my characters story. 

I will even take teleport which is the red headed step child of travel.  I just put the power in the zero “0” bubble and point, click, zero until I get there.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

2 minutes ago, starro said:

All of them!!!!  If you are concerned about being stuck on the ground there are many cheap jet packs to buy from p2w, earn from bank missions or other sources.  I put the power that best fits my characters story. 

I will even take teleport which is the red headed step child of travel.  I just put the power in the zero “0” bubble and point, click, zero until I get there.  

Good to know! Thanks for the advice!

Now I'm thinking of going for Flying first, then take Jumping afterwards, ending with Speed for Hasten.

• Like 1

My favorite is probably Teleport, however to really be good with it, I feel it requires either macros or keybinds.

Teleport in the hands of someone skilled with it, is the fastest travel power bar none. Fold Space is also a great power for grouping mobs into an AOE to speed up clear times.

*That said this topic shouldn't be in help and support, but should be in the general discussion subforum.

Edited by SeraphimKensai
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

• Game Master

Hello Rahimus and welcome to the game!

I've tried all of them and I personally use speed the most, then jump, then flight.  Sometimes I don't even take a travel power and rely on Sprint, Combat Jump, and Athletic Run (or similar) from the P2W vendor.

PS - I moved your topic from support to general as it is more of a general question vs needing some technical support.  You did nothing wrong, I'm just keeping things neurotically tidy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

I'm most often a flier... It's not the fastest of the travel powers, but it's the most useful under the most circumstances.

That said, the Super Jump/Super Speed combo is just straight-up great fun... *IF* you're a good driver.

Otherwise? You'll end up caught on every bridge, bus stop and power-line in the city. 😝   

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Based on my current latest characters, in this order:

Teleport:  It really is the fastest, TP Target is useful for lost teammates and pulling, fold space is fun.

Flight: It's just a nice way to travel. I often get Mystic Flight instead.

Super Jump:  Mainly for combat jumping, but SJ is a lot of fun.  Especially playing the street is lava (just can't cheat using the double jump...)

Super Speed: Hardly ever.  Just not my style  (I think out of my current stable of 96 50s, one has SS)

1 hour ago, Rahimus said:

Good to know! Thanks for the advice!

Now I'm thinking of going for Flying first, then take Jumping afterwards, ending with Speed for Hasten.

Fly is my favorite. 

Also, unlike your power selection these travel powers can be “respec” or swapped out if you don’t feel it. And trust me - character slots.  Can’t stop making / trying new stuff out.

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

I tend to default with super speed and combat jumping, but I use any of them if it fits the concept, they all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Super Speed: Fast, but can be hard to control, especially in confined spaces. Combat jumping is almost a requirement with this or you will find your jumps sending you hurtling into the distance. It's got a bit of a learning curve but once you get used to it, it's extremely fun, and very easy to build into as Haste is one of the best powers in the game, and is in the same pool.

Fly: Just a solid travel power all around, and with after burner, very fast as well. Flight can also REALLY play into your combat strategy, as it can make it impossible for some enemies to get in melee with you, and while all enemies have ranged attack, they are usually significantly weaker.

Teleport: The Fastest travel power in the game once you get it down, and by like ALOT. The downside however is that its only really good at getting from Point A to Point B. If you want to roam a area, or search for something it's not too great at that, neither is it very useful inside.  However there is utility in just being able to bypass anything, and combat teleport in the same pool can help with indoor spaces.

Super Jump: This is kinda the jack of all trades travel power, it does just about everything and does it well. It works well indoors, outdoors, anywhere, even in confined spaces, small hops get the job done with little to no loss in speed, with the added bonus of not having to worry as much about getting stuck on geometry (with SS and even fly suffer from). The downside is that it tends to lose in raw speed, that is however not to say it's slow by any means, but on a straight away SS will run circles around it.

Super Speed, Fly and Super Jump, also have alternate version in Sorcery, Experimentation, and  Force of Will pools, these are effectively the same thing but come with different secondary powers, most notably Mystic flights and Speed of Sound's teleport powers, which can be really useful.

Edited by Riot Siren

Kaika DB/INVUN Stalker                                                 Unluck AR/Nin Blaster

Riot Siren Bio/Dark Tank                                                      Ria Greenheart Axe/Sheild scrapper

Blue Meteor Em/Rad Scrapper                                             Fio Rune  FIre/Rad Stalker 

• City Council

I personally always take Fly. Usually for the convenience of being able to access anywhere on any map without any difficulties, or the need for extra temp powers (i.e. Jetpack).

• Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Please contact me on the Homecoming Discord for a faster response! Arcanum#7164

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

All the travel powers are good, and they're much faster now than they were on Live (thanks, Homecoming team!), so I usually just go with whatever works for the character's theme.  But here are my thoughts on each pool:

• Flight often feels the most heroic, and sometimes I'll log into one of my flying characters just to soar above the city for a while.  No other travel power inspires that for me.  Back in the day when travel powers were much slower, Flight was also good for being a "passive" travel power; you could point yourself to your destination, hit "R", then go take a bio break while you waited to get to where you were going.  Thankfully, that's not much of a concern now.
  • Leaping is the most all-around useful IMO.  Combat Jumping is so great as a low-endurance defensive buff that many builds use it even if it's the only jumping power taken.  Super Jump is fast, maneuverable, and as @Riot Siren says it's useful just about everywhere.  With Double Jump, you can usually get to most heights and can Super Jump across pretty much any zone* as quickly and easily as flying there.  Add a jetpack and you can go anywhere.
  • Speed is a lot of fun, and a natural choice if you're going to be taking Haste anyway.  It's not as easy to get vertical movement, though (you can jump farther when you're going really fast, but I've never really gotten the hang of that), and a lot of zones are really hard to run through—so much so that any raw speed advantage is often overcome by having to run around buildings and other obstacles.
  • Teleportation—well, I can't say much about this.  I only have one character with this as their travel power, mostly because it almost never seems to fit the theme.  Also, it takes more work to use, and I always seem to overshoot my target, or have to triangulate my teleportations to get to where I want to end up.  But Teleport Target, Fold Space, and Team Teleport are all really useful team support powers.

For pure travel, don't sleep on Athletic Run (or Beast Run or Ninja Run, if you like a weird running stance), available at the P2W vendor.  They won't get you across large distances as quickly as the travel pools powers do, but they help a lot with letting your superhero jump to things a superhero out to be able to jump to and overall not feeling too slow.  Athletic Run plus a jetpack is often all you need.  But I usually want some power from a travel pool anyway (i.e., Combat Jumping, Haste), and so it's easy to take whatever travel power comes with the pool I need.

* Independence Port not included in "pretty much any zone."

Edited by Zhym

During live I was an argent supporter of Super speed but

as I am much older and my reflexes and brain clock speed has dulled

for awhile I was using stealth's movement penalty with super speed to make it manageable (shakes fist at oranbega torches)

but that is no longer an option so.....

I usually take flight now because

I can easily chat while flying

I can auction house while flying

I can craft inspirations while flying

I can quickly refill my coffee while flying

I can fly inside and outside

plays well with other travel powers too

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

1 hour ago, Oklahoman said:

I almost always take flight. It just makes getting around easier.

This. I've created speedsters, tried to get around and immediately respecced into Fly. Jumping is...ok, but being able to just hit the air and get out and stay out of reach is too good, to me. It's the slowest, but afterburner and the jump pack zip me ahead of jumpers and usually speedsters since I'm not having to navigte terrain. YMMV

• Like 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

- Fly because it's safe and very superheroic.  And because hoverblasters are epic.  You can even take a break from street sweeping simply by going up a couple hundred feet.  It's my most commonly taken travel power.

- Jump because it's fun.  It's not easy to master, and like TP it's very much not passive.  But there's just something about it...

- Superspeed, Teleport, tried 'em, respecced out of them.  SS is too clunky outside of flat city zones, TP requires too much attention and eye/hand coordination.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

Depends on the character.  Fly for Defenders so I can hover back or above everything and stay out of trouble.  Anything that is in melee regularly I do super speed at the least and possibly jump as well.  I normally pick stealth plus the stealth proc in sprint plus the stealth from SS makes buzzing through maps way easier.   Unless it's Ninja for Scrappers or a Sent because I don't have the room so I just rely on jetpacks. 

Fly for range attack users. Being out of melee range as much as possible leads to much better survival chances.  Jump for melee most of the time though I may take Super Speed for a change of pace despite it making elevated destinations somewhat of a challenge to reach. 

I only take something other than fly if I can't afford the extra power pool. I have a couple of characters who are so tight on powers they have to live without a travel power altogether and they have been designed to look ok with the generic jetpack. Flight is convenient, fast enough, and just feels right in the game.

For me it really depends on the character, Taiga Rana uses Super Jump for obvious reasons (well, perhaps not so obvious, Rana being a genus of frogs), my Ice and sometimes Water characters typically use Speed Run with the 'slide' animation, others use Fly/Mystic Flight. Many that don't fly will have Hover.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

I take the Sorcery Pools Mystic Flight to gain the Translocation(teleport) that comes with it.

Currently on a Blaster with Flight, Hover, and Evasive Manvuers... I love the precision EM gives. 

Super Speed builds momentum. Once you figure out the drift when you jump, pretty awesome way to cover the city. I feel Combat Jump limits this, but could be my imagination. 

I don't use the Speed Phase that comes with it much, but it does come in handy sometimes.

/e poofgone

5 hours ago, Rahimus said:

what speed power group do you prefer? Superspeed, Jumping, or Flight?

From a purely practical standpoint, I usually try to fit some sort of flight power into all my builds.  That being said, I also frequently take combat jumping.  I sometimes take combat teleport, but would rather go with mystic flight over straight-up teleport.  Similarly, unless I'm going for acrobatics or spring attack, or if by build won't permit another power pool pick, I'll also generally take mighty leap over super jump.  I almost never take super speed, and would rather take the experimentation version of SS, unless I specifically want the extra stealth or am going for some sort of hasten - SS - burnout.