If you were to solo a character, what character would it be ??

I need a break from teaming.  I want to be able to take breaks when i need em.  I like melee, but i think i'm more of a ranged player.  Do ranged characters really do more damage.  If so which one does more single target damage ??  

Sentinel. I have a soft spot for Tankers though. Basically anything durable and that has CC immunity. A Sentinel is more 'durable' than a tank by hovering in the air but a Tanker will go x8 more quickly. They will both kill at about the same speed.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, smnolimits42 said:

I need a break from teaming.  I want to be able to take breaks when i need em.  I like melee, but i think i'm more of a ranged player.  Do ranged characters really do more damage.  If so which one does more single target damage ??  

So here's the rub - If playing solo, you want to be able to do a little bit of everything, which includes having some way of dealing with mezzes.  Blasters do great damage, but have a narrower margin for survival.  I really enjoy playing sentinels, and as @Sovera pointed out, they provide ranged damage and survivability.  I've been on a bit of a /ninjitsu kick, since it has stealth, a heal, end recovery, and even protects you from fear & psionics.  pair it with a primary like pistols, dark or electricity and you also get a hold.  Now add to that some other utility powers from regular or APPs/PPPs and you've got it made...

56 minutes ago, biostem said:

So here's the rub - If playing solo, you want to be able to do a little bit of everything, which includes having some way of dealing with mezzes.  Blasters do great damage, but have a narrower margin for survival.  I really enjoy playing sentinels, and as @Sovera pointed out, they provide ranged damage and survivability.  I've been on a bit of a /ninjitsu kick, since it has stealth, a heal, end recovery, and even protects you from fear & psionics.  pair it with a primary like pistols, dark or electricity and you also get a hold.  Now add to that some other utility powers from regular or APPs/PPPs and you've got it made...

Second this.  Although I went full on damage with Fire/Ninja and got my hold very late in the Psi mastery. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, HelenCarnate said:

Second this.  Although I went full on damage with Fire/Ninja and got my hold very late in the Psi mastery. 

I have a 50 fire/regen sentinel.  I just cannot get passed the weird momentary repel of the really powerful ST blast and thought going without it hampered my damage output, so moved on to some other builds.  I think my dark/SR and DP/Nin sentinels are my favorites.

2 hours ago, smnolimits42 said:

Contrary to others, I solo Blasters just fine and at increased levels.  It is completely doable.  I will always choose a Blaster over other ATs, if given a choice.  Blasters also get some very heavy hitting melee attacks - all depending on your secondary, of course.  You will also get controls, which will increase your survivability while you dish out all that damage.  

Sentinels, will provide you with an easier time given they have a shield set, but they aren't infallible either.  But they have only the primary ranged attack set.  No melee powers, unless you can find one in the epics.  In my opinion, they are rather the "easy button" of ranged fighting and kind of boring.  Whenever I play mine, I'm always thinking - "I could be doing more damage and killing these the mobs faster if I was on my blaster."  😄  

Many also solo Corruptors quite easily and are happy with it.  You get a buff/debuff set to help you survive.  They can be fun, but when I play mine, again, i think "I could being doing so much more on my Blaster."

(Some even solo their Defenders because they get a damage bonus when solo.  But you're not going to be near the damage output as other ATs.)

Dominators are a ranged/melee class that can deal a lot of damage are soloable.  They can be fun, but it's tough until you get perma-Domination.  

...So, it depends on what you want to do and play.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, biostem said:

I have a 50 fire/regen sentinel.  I just cannot get passed the weird momentary repel of the really powerful ST blast and thought going without it hampered my damage output, so moved on to some other builds.  I think my dark/SR and DP/Nin sentinels are my favorites.

With stupidly high recharge you can skip it.  But it takes a LOT like I am at 191% plus Agility core in there.  I still keep it for AV fights or when I need distance between me and my target but otherwise it sits there hardly ever used. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, smnolimits42 said:

Do ranged characters really do more damage.  If so which one does more single target damage ??  

Basically, 'yes'.  But it's not entirely that simple.  A blaster does more range damage than a sentinel since the sentinel gets a defense powerset.

All other things being equal, a blaster does the most damage and Beam Rifle is the highest set for single target damage.

Offhand, I think I've soloed every AT in the game.  I've probably soloed a scrapper the most since my main (and badge hunter) is a scrapper.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

7 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

Basically, 'yes'.  But it's not entirely that simple.  A blaster does more range damage than a sentinel since the sentinel gets a defense powerset.

All other things being equal, a blaster does the most damage and Beam Rifle is the highest set for single target damage.

Offhand, I think I've soloed every AT in the game.  I've probably soloed a scrapper the most since my main (and badge hunter) is a scrapper.

It's one of those "plan vs reality" scenarios - Blasters have tons of ways to maximize their damage, and many tools with which to deliver it, but if you can't stay alive long enough to deliver it, then that's essentially zero damage dealt.  Sentinels have the ranged damage with a wider margin of safety.  Of course, they pay for that by having a lower ceiling...

2 minutes ago, smnolimits42 said:

alright i got to lvl 11 Dark/Dark.  I just don't like it.  I think i'lll go back to hero side, try AR/Devices. I'll let you know how that goes..

Try a dark blast/super reflexes sentinel.

7 minutes ago, smnolimits42 said:

alright i got to lvl 11 Dark/Dark.  I just don't like it.  I think i'lll go back to hero side, try AR/Devices. I'll let you know how that goes..

yeah you should likely have gone fire/dark corruptor as it appears you like doing damage more than debuffing. (i prefer rad/dark though)

we can play corruptors hero side if you prefer that content.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Anything/Martial Combat makes a good solo blaster - Ki-Push is a great tool for dealing with troublesome targets (and endless fun), Reaction Time is fantastic, Dragon's Tail is one of the most reliable knock-downs around, Storm Kick is amazing DPA, and Inner Will on Auto is like having a Break Free without needing to think about it.

... and that's all without getting into the goodness that is Burst of Speed 😄

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

For solo, I would pick Ice over Fire, but Fire/rad is going to still do wonders. I would also go /dark over /rad, but /dark also doesn't have a way to deal with End like Rad does, so it might take a bit more to get to a happy place. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

16 hours ago, smnolimits42 said:

alright i got to lvl 11 Dark/Dark.  I just don't like it.

If you could say why you don't like it, we might be able to make suggestions about what class or powers you might like better.

10 hours ago, smnolimits42 said:

Alright, i think i found my next alt, Fire/Rad Corruptor, so far i'm lvl 13. Tons of fun.

Cool.  I have a fire/kinetics corruptor.  Pretty devastating.  I went with kinetics mainly because he was for a 'no IO's or pay to win items' team.  I figured people would have endurance issues so I picked kinetics.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Yes.

I will solo just about anything. It may be slower on some like my Kin/Arch Defender of Water/Poison Corruptor, but I still solo them. I have found that my Bio/Savage Tank is fairly effective soloing.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

19 hours ago, Ironblade said:

Beam Rifle is the highest set for single target damage.

Really? I find beam rifle to feel so slow and I hate the cleave mechanic, it's so gimmicky, I just want to blast. I also don't like how the beam "sticks" to the rifle during so many animations, I think it looks bad.

Edited by Aisynia