Returning after a long hiatus, how do you pick things back up?

I've ended up taking quite a long break from the game, burned myself out a while ago and stepped away.  I decided to pop back in after hearing the news of the official license but it's been so long since the last time I played I have outright forgotten what i'm doing in a lot of instances.  Many of my characters have been offline for over 400 days and when I log one in I can't remember what I was doing with that character.  How was I building them?  What missions was I running?  In some cases I don't even remember my attack chains.  I'm considering a fresh new character but I have so many unresolved characters it feels wrong to ignore some of them.  What do the rest of you do after a long break to get yourself back into the swing?

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

If I take a long break, I'll usually grab a 50 I remember being real fun and running some radios to shake off the rust. I find everything else starts coming back to the surface after playing something breezy for a bit.

• Like 3

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

I've found that after a short hiatus there is very little to relearn that I once was familiar with. Less played powersets require a longer learn. HC hasn't changed the game that much - everything original is still there and now with plenty more new players too.

Welcome back 😄 

I start a new character and don't transfer money or IOs so it starts from scratch. That said it does slow the game a lot, but the first character after a good while the right moment for 'slow game'. By the 5th alt we don't want slow anything. But returning after a while? Best time.

Your mileage may vary.

50 minutes ago, ZorkNemesis said:

What do the rest of you do after a long break to get yourself back into the swing?

"I have detailed files." - T800

No seriously, I have detailed files. Well, a notepad file anyway. With info on each character, their build, what I was doing with them, and some info that occurs to me as I'm playing them.

This allows me to basically pick right back  up where I left off when I finally decide to start playing again.

• Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

The sheer contempt your avatar shows towards that picture made my day. 😄

hahahaha.JPG

• Haha 3
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

• Developer
1 hour ago, ZorkNemesis said:

I've ended up taking quite a long break from the game, burned myself out a while ago and stepped away.  I decided to pop back in after hearing the news of the official license but it's been so long since the last time I played I have outright forgotten what i'm doing in a lot of instances.  Many of my characters have been offline for over 400 days and when I log one in I can't remember what I was doing with that character.  How was I building them?  What missions was I running?  In some cases I don't even remember my attack chains.  I'm considering a fresh new character but I have so many unresolved characters it feels wrong to ignore some of them.  What do the rest of you do after a long break to get yourself back into the swing?

When taking long breaks from the game, I like to abandon any missions I had when I return, and briefly look over my character's build to see what it looks like. It doesn't matter how I wanted to build them before as long as I can see a direction I'd like to go now with it. Then I'll go look for a group running a TF and jump in and feel out the actual attack chains.

After that, I'll usually open up my contacts and see what active contacts I have, maybe check clues/souvenirs if I'm unsure what I was doing in the plot last time despite context clues of the mission itself, and then decide what I want to do

• Like 2

I just decided to dive back in. OMG the text is so small on my 4K monitor though. Need to figure that out. Also, I couldn't figure out how to logout. I remembered there were slash commands and /quit got me out. Went looking around and noticed someone use the MENU word on the upper right part of the screen. Again this is tiny for me at the moment and there is way to log out that way through the UI. I forgot how un-intuitive the UI is compared to what I've been used to. Oh well. Getting used to it again. If you dive back in I am sure it will come back with play time.

1 hour ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

No seriously, I have detailed files. Well, a notepad file anyway. With info on each character, their build, what I was doing with them, and some info that occurs to me as I'm playing them.

So do I.  Sometimes I even remember to keep them updated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

If I ever take a long break, I’ll let you know:-)

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

45 minutes ago, CometCometh said:

I just decided to dive back in. OMG the text is so small on my 4K monitor though. Need to figure that out. Also, I couldn't figure out how to logout. I remembered there were slash commands and /quit got me out. Went looking around and noticed someone use the MENU word on the upper right part of the screen. Again this is tiny for me at the moment and there is way to log out that way through the UI. I forgot how un-intuitive the UI is compared to what I've been used to. Oh well. Getting used to it again. If you dive back in I am sure it will come back with play time.

You want Menu --> Options --> Windows tab --> UI scale.

You can also set it with a slash command:.  /window_scale number where the number is from .65 to 2.7.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!