Name Purge

1 hour ago, wjrasmussen said:

release.  He is called:   The Kraken

where's our golf clap emoji dang it!

• Haha 3

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Game Master

Another thread on this topic? It's like playing whack-a-mole. 

At some point, eventually, in the fullness of time, when the stars align and the Elder Gods rise from their slumber, then the name release will happen. As with anything this important we want to make sure we get it right and it works properly from day 1 so we don't find a cascade error on the database and everyone suddenly logs in to find their entire character screen filled with Generic<number> instead of their awesome and well thought out names. While that would solve a lot of the naming issues and save me a lot of time genericing all the naughty names, it's not the kind of thing that we want to have happen. I'm not really THAT busy 🙂 

The way it will work is nobody will lose their name unless the time limit passes and someone else tries to use it. So if you have a level 1 called "Awesome Fairy" and someone else wants the name "Awesome Fairy" then if it's past the time limit for a level 1 (which I want to say is 30 days but I may be wrong and numbers are subject to change) then that name will be given to the new player and the original "Awesome Fairy" will be given a generic number. If nobody wants "Awesome Fairy" the name will remain with the original player until they log it in. The system won't automatically wipe the name after the time limit, it will just stop it being reserved and locked so someone else can use it if they wish. The time limit will increase in level ranges, and level 50's will always be exempt.

Clear as mud? Good 🙂 

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

At some point, eventually, in the fullness of time, when the stars align and the Elder Gods rise from their slumber, then the name release will happen. As with anything this important we want to make sure we get it right and it works properly from day 1 so we don't find a cascade error on the database and everyone suddenly logs in to find their entire character screen filled with Generic<number> instead of their awesome and well thought out names. While that would solve a lot of the naming issues and save me a lot of time genericing all the naughty names, it's not the kind of thing that we want to have happen. I'm not really THAT busy 🙂 

The way it will work is nobody will lose their name unless the time limit passes and someone else tries to use it. So if you have a level 1 called "Awesome Fairy" and someone else wants the name "Awesome Fairy" then if it's past the time limit for a level 1 (which I want to say is 30 days but I may be wrong and numbers are subject to change) then that name will be given to the new player and the original "Awesome Fairy" will be given a generic number. If nobody wants "Awesome Fairy" the name will remain with the original player until they log it in. The system won't automatically wipe the name after the time limit, it will just stop it being reserved and locked so someone else can use it if they wish. The time limit will increase in level ranges, and level 50's will always be exempt.

Clear as mud? Good 🙂 

image.png.43af70ab681ac8481fc0e103196232fd.png

Couldn't resist.

• Haha 3
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

5 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

when the stars align and the Elder Gods rise from their slumber

dang it, NOW I can't wait for this to happen.

• Haha 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

28 minutes ago, Troo said:
6 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

At some point, eventually, in the fullness of time, when the stars align and the Elder Gods rise from their slumber, ...

dang it, NOW I can't wait for this to happen.

Page 28! Elder Gods! You heard it here first folks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

9 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

Clear as mud? Good 🙂 

On Everlast, Awesome Fairy is recently taken and parked.  You would have to go with something like Awful Fairy

• Confused 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

COH bomp bomp: 

3 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Page 28! Elder Gods! You heard it here first folks!

quest:  get Elder Gods diapers.
quest:  push Elder God around Atlas Park
Task Force:  Get Off My LAWN!

• Haha 3

COH bomp bomp: 

26 minutes ago, wjrasmussen said:

On Everlast, Awesome Fairy is recently taken and parked.  You would have to go with something like Awful Fairy

Fairy Terribad

Terribad Fairy

Baddy Fairy

TerriFairy

Baddest Fairy

I could go on. lol

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

As with anything this important we want to make sure we get it right and it works properly from day 1 so we don't find a cascade error on the database and everyone suddenly logs in to find their entire character screen filled with Generic<number> instead of their awesome and well thought out names. While that would solve a lot of the naming issues and save me a lot of time genericing all the naughty names, it's not the kind of thing that we want to have happen.

Really, though, that's the perfect solution.  Generic all the characters every so often.  People grab the names they want, if they're fast enough, and enjoy them until the next generic-ing.  Simple!

Include the NPCs, too.  Then we can spend a few months getting our training from Mz-L1berty.

• Haha 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

On 4/20/2024 at 2:12 AM, Frostbiter said:

I don't have a dog in the name purge fight. I got my name on server I wanted and as my global name, anything else is largely irrelevant to me. Although I'd hardly call that name not being available on the three most popular servers a fluke.

If you think I did something wrong with trying to get my name on all the servers, know that that isn't what happened. I tried to roll my Live character on a HC server three different times before I got it on one. The other server I have it on I took so that I'd have a server I could transfer to just in case. Not saying I wouldn't have if it was possible, just that someone beat me to it on 3/5ths of the servers.

If someone wanted to grab your name, they would have reserved it in all servers, not just 3 and then randomly stop. As other said, I think "Frostbiter" is common enough for someone to create a character with that name, without knowing that you exist

4 hours ago, Lyrium said:

As other said, I think "Frostbiter" is common enough for someone to create a character with that name, without knowing that you exist

Heck, I've read the thread and I *still* don't know that... whatsisname exists.

• Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 4/19/2024 at 6:52 PM, PeregrineFalcon said:

Translation: I deliberately logged on to Homecoming, made a ton of characters with all of the famous names that I could remember from the live servers (or possibly looked at a copy of the old forums in case memory wasn't enough), and then flew one of the characters around Atlas Park while saying to myself "ha, ha, I got your name".

So debate all you want about whether or when or which level, but understand that at least some of the people who are against this are against it because they are deliberately hoarding names and they don't want you to have them, and this has been confirmed by a GM.

Just being honest, but I read that post you quoted differently.  And unless that GM spoke in person to the player in question and that player admitted they "stole" names just for the sake of being a prick, you can't say your interpretation is correct.  I admit I don't know much about that person in particular either.  If they did do this out of spite or malice or just to be a jerk, then yeah, they're a jerk.  I don't think they should be forced to give up the names for that though.  If they're still active, they can be contacted and negotiated with to release a name.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

Heck, I've read the thread and I *still* don't know that... whatsisname exists.

I don't. I'm a butterfly dreaming I'm a man.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

I do believe it is possible that there are names on Homecoming that are "protected", and not by players. For example, there are names that you cannot give to henchmen/pets.

There was one name I tried to get on day one of a character that I had on Live that I was rather surprised was not available, that included the word "Homecoming" in the name. It wasn't the most original name I admit, but all the variants I tried were unavailable. Since the project has the Homecoming name, I can easily believe that those names were reserved. It is of course possible I was slow, but on the server I play on I got all the other names of my favorite mains, even those I know I didn't have on all of the various "Live" servers.

Maybe we should just use a numbering system. Your toons name is 00000001.

That way everyone will be unique. All I ask is that the name 12345 is saved for me. It's the combination to my luggage 🧳

• Haha 2

On 4/21/2024 at 1:47 PM, golstat2003 said:

Fairy Terribad

Terribad Fairy

Baddy Fairy

TerriFairy

Baddest Fairy

I could go on. lol

Go on.  Give us 10 more.

COH bomp bomp: 

7 hours ago, RCU7115 said:

Maybe we should just use a numbering system. Your toons name is 00000001.

That way everyone will be unique. All I ask is that the name 12345 is saved for me. It's the combination to my luggage 🧳

Why are you giving out the password?

COH bomp bomp: 

On 4/20/2024 at 6:32 PM, wjrasmussen said:

FYI, I have a level 1 character whose name I won't release.  He is called:   The Kraken

I sea what you did there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Former Paragon Studios QA - Redname Fireman

Current and always Scrapper enthusiast

On 4/19/2024 at 1:04 PM, Erratic1 said:

Not a complaint, but why on Earth would you want/need the same name across every server?

Why not?  I have a few dozen 50's, so why not have multiple copies of my favorite?  I have Ironblade on every shard and every one of them is level 50.  Two of them are fully tier 4 incarnate.

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.