Leaving the alts alone...how?

So...you reach level 50. You do some incarnate stuff..grab some badges along the way. And yet, there's soo much left to do! But noone seems interested in grinding out ouro badges because..well, doing content without enhancements is just plain masochistic, and ultimately silly and pretty much stupid. Just for a badge or three? It's nuts. 

I could suffer through it solo, I suppose. Maybe make a 2nd account with some travel power support, like a kin with inertial reduction and speed boost. 
But there's that dirty word..."Alt". 

I really don't want to play alts. I want to play this character. But there's other powersets to explore. 

Do I limit myself to x units of time for an alt...or x units of time for the primary? 

Why did I think up "Wafer Thin Mint" as an alt name? I mean, what team is so full it doesn't have room for a wafer thin mint? 

There isn't enough time in the day to do what I want to do!

• Like 2

It ultimately comes down to answering the question “what am I having fun doing right now?”. It doesn’t have to be one thing and you can change your answer at any time. 

For myself, I’ve made a character a like playing, so I play that character almost all the time. I’m working my way through all the Ouroboros missions. Not to get badges, nor for a challenge, but because I like playing this character. 

• Like 4

The American Dream, Willpower/Kinetic Melee Tanker, Everlasting.

44 minutes ago, Xaddy said:

Alt isn't a four-letter word. It only has three letters.

Plus, you are bad mouthing Alts in a game that gives you the option to have 1000's times more Alts than any other game.

I have over 170 Alts at this point.

46 minutes ago, Xaddy said:

I really don't want to play alts. I want to play this character. But there's other powersets to explore. 

Then you have an issue, don't you?

The game mechanic is there to explore other power sets, and you bad-mouth it.

48 minutes ago, Xaddy said:

Do I limit myself to x units of time for an alt...or x units of time for the primary? 

That's all on you. You have the freedom to choose.

49 minutes ago, Xaddy said:

Why did I think up "Wafer Thin Mint" as an alt name? I mean, what team is so full it doesn't have room for a wafer thin mint? 

Uh, huh....

50 minutes ago, Xaddy said:

... and that would be trolling the forums?

I mean seriously.

Is that what this post was or do you actually have some point with your end statements or any of this post for that matter?

Perhaps you are intoxicated. Intoxicated posting happens.

• Thumbs Down 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 minute ago, UltraAlt said:

You're absolutely right. 
The purpose wasn't to troll at all. In fact, my post highlights at least one facet distracting me from playing a character I enjoy - when at full power. Without enhancements..not so much. 
But that's on me. 

My apologies if you were offended in any way by my mindless typing. Given your name, I can see why the post troubled you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure how many characters I've gotten up to 50, but I've retired many.  Currently in the 90s.   Only one characters I consider done and that's my badger that is now north of 250 vet levels.   None of the others are really working toward badges as a goal, but I revisit the favorites often enough and there are some story lines that eventually they all wind up doing.

1 hour ago, Xaddy said:

So...you reach level 50. You do some incarnate stuff..grab some badges along the way. And yet, there's soo much left to do! But noone seems interested in grinding out ouro badges because..well, doing content without enhancements is just plain masochistic, and ultimately silly and pretty much stupid. Just for a badge or three? It's nuts.

Just to touch on this part. I do Ouro solo for badges to fill the time when friends are not online, then we all do something else.

I specifically do Ouro Praetorian missions on my Praetorian Ex-Pat because I went through the full Betrayal run of all the contacts on her, now I'm going back an re-running the mission arcs to make the choices that she really would have made. Probably should have just done the Full Betrayal run on my badger, but I had to reroll my ex-pat anyway because while on Legacy she started in Praetoria, here on HC she started off in Primal sort of as a continuation of where she left off. But I was never really happy with that so I rerolled her as a Praetorian.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

3 hours ago, Xaddy said:

Personally, I think it's nuts to do it more than once.  I have every Ouroboros badge on ONE character.

Of course, some people are nuts.  There's one forum-goer who has every badge on over a dozen characters - I think one of each AT.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

5 hours ago, Xaddy said:

I could suffer through it solo, I suppose. Maybe make a 2nd account with some travel power support, like a kin with inertial reduction and speed boost. 

I "somewhat" regularly do the Ouro Badges.

I have two main strategies.

1) level to the range you want to do +1 level.  This opens that range in Ouro.  Then do that content for the badges.  In this way you are affected very little by exemplar math.  which is gruesome below 30.  

2) level all the way to 50.  Then custom build an 'alt build" for each level range.  make one for level 10.  do all 10 or below content.  9most 9-, 7- etc)  Then Make a build for level 15, respec to that.  Do all 14-, repeat.

here is an example of a level 50 corruptor built for level 10- ouro.  the trick is to use sets that exemplar down to 7, and globals that work at that level as well.  Your damage will be lessened, but your survivability will be way up.  Until you get to the "no enhancer challenge"  use big inspirations then lol.

Corruptor Dark Dark Ouro 10.mbd

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

the trick is to use sets that exemplar down to 7

That's pretty sharp. I would have never thought of that. I appreciate that tip. 

7 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Plus, you are bad mouthing Alts in a game that gives you the option to have 1000's times more Alts than any other game.

I have over 170 Alts at this point.

Then you have an issue, don't you?

The game mechanic is there to explore other power sets, and you bad-mouth it.

That's all on you. You have the freedom to choose.

Uh, huh....

... and that would be trolling the forums?

I mean seriously.

Is that what this post was or do you actually have some point with your end statements or any of this post for that matter?

Perhaps you are intoxicated. Intoxicated posting happens.

170 alts...rookie numbers I have over 330 alts and I have had fun with all of them. I have learned how other classes/specs play I hateed playing with stormers but I made and leveled one and I understand them a LOT more. I still dont prefer to play one, but it makes a lot more sense now.

Why on *earth* (any dimension's version) would I leave the alts alone?

I mean, for one, I'm an RPer. I not only alt, I multibox. There are just too many stories to create, too many concepts, too many potentially interesting powerset combinations, too many cheesy names that MUST be realized.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

5 hours ago, Ironblade said:

Personally, I think it's nuts to do it more than once.  I have every Ouroboros badge on ONE character.

Of course, some people are nuts.  There's one forum-goer who has every badge on over a dozen characters - I think one of each AT.

Ouch. The most I have on a character is around 850 badges.  I kind of lost interest with what I call spreadsheet badges.  Oro is one of them, crafting is another.  Basically the x by y grid.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

10 hours ago, Xaddy said:

doing content without enhancements is just plain masochistic, and ultimately silly and pretty much stupid.

We played that way for ages, and I  still do when leveling characters, because farming is just plain boring and ultimately is missing the point of the game and pretty much stupid.  IMHO.  😃  I mean, since here  we're sharing our unfiltered feelings like this.

There's a lot in the game, but if you want to ignore much of what it was designed to be, that's not going to leave you much to do in it, no.

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Put out a bowl of food and some fresh water, make sure there's a clean place for them to go boom-boom, leave something for them to entertain themselves with while you're away.  You know, an automated laser pointer, some string hanging from a ceiling fan set on low speed, a crate of grenades, fun stuff that they can play with.  They'll be okay for a while

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

2 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:
12 hours ago, Xaddy said:

doing content without enhancements is just plain masochistic

We played that way for ages, and I  still do when leveling characters

I do the same with my new alts. No big deal to run "naked" until they can slot level 30 white IOs. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Xaddy said:

Hey!  I saw Wafer Thin Mint over by the P2W START vendor recently.  I remember thinking, "now that's an original name others probably won't try to get".

I've got about 50 to 60 characters at this point.  I enjoy trying out different archetypes and power sets, and I find it relieving to have a completely different character to switch over to after a long, dedicated run up the leveling ranks with one pair of power sets. For my many 50s that I occasionally switch over to, I take a slower approach towards getting their badges and tricking them out with the best set enhancements.

But people vary.  I've met characters with hundred of veteran levels (I just teamed with one today with around 830 or so levels) and that tells me the player is laser-focused on one character.  That's great! They're focused on what they enjoy, too.  Your arrangement might be something in between, say 80% main character, and 20% exploration of other characters.  Find what you like, and be willing to mix it up a bit if need be to keep things interesting.

• Like 1

I only started playing again earlier this year, but already have a couple of 50s and a bunch of alts. Alts give me options. 

For example, I am currently focused on levelling my brute to 50 - taking it slow by playing solo and for the most part avoiding the big xp earners. However, if I spot a TF forming, I may jump to another toon that needs that badge or is in the right level range. And if I see a Tinpex or other 50+ content going on, I will switch to one of the 50s to work on Incarnate levels.

Torchbearer: Flitz (MA/SR Scrapper), Lead Hose (AR/Dev Blaster), Red Rag (Fire/Fire Brute) ... and many more!

14 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

We played that way for ages, and I  still do when leveling characters, because farming is just plain boring and ultimately is missing the point of the game and pretty much stupid.  IMHO.  😃  I mean, since here  we're sharing our unfiltered feelings like this.

There's a lot in the game, but if you want to ignore much of what it was designed to be, that's not going to leave you much to do in it, no.

I agree with most of what you say about farming. For me, it's boring - but I do see how some folks might find it fun/amusing. I was on a team with a tank that was so...tanky, that I was practically untouchable because nothing wanted to touch me. I could really let things fly with no concerns about my own safety. I think that must be the feeling a farmer really enjoys - not worried about kb, not worried about stuns, not worried about endurance..just letting things rip. So, I can certainly see that. 

And I can get into the idea of starting at level 1 with no enhancements. After all - you come out of the creator and you're at zero of everything and you have to earn everything. I can see the appeal of the challenge of avoiding the START/P2W vendor, sure. 

But once you've earned it...and then chasing the ouro badges that require you to run without the enhancements...I don't see the appeal in that. And that's pretty much all I intended by what I said - not my "unfiltered feelings", lol. Mind you, I do understand why someone would chase all the badges. It's nice to have a goal, an objective. 

But, I also certainly get why some folks don't care about them at all. Even if they do give you something, like a little boost to endurance..so does a small blue inspiration..which nobody seems to be bidding on at the moment. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 6:13 PM, Greycat said:

too many cheesy names that MUST be realized.

This is too true. 
I made an alt called Wafer Thin Mint. I mean, it's not a cheese cracker, but it is cheesy. 

• Like 1

It's a game.

Don't overthink it.

Do what feels good in the now. Once you've done that, you can do something else.

• Like 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I always say there is really no wrong way to play as long as you are having fun and not making a nuisance of yourself to others. Some people will focus on a single toon others have a spreadsheet to keep track of their 101 total toons of which 16 are not lvl 10 yet but 54 are at 50 (you need the spread sheet because you have to keep track of the incarnates and so on, don't ask me how I know). Or use spread sheet for badges (switched to using Badger myself but have the sheet JIC). I have soloed leveled toons, used the April event for speed leveling (record of 1 to 50 in 2 hours according to in game NPC, also have 2896 hours for the leveling to 50 and while not really up to date have over 3487 hours of total played time). God I love statistics, maybe. But again play how you like that is what is great about the really good MMO's they let you do that.

CoX Toon List.ods

• Thanks 1