The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

What goes with Marine?

I saw a bit of discussion in the Beta feedback forums, but I thought I'd make something that more people are likely to see.

Now that Marine Affinity is out, what are you guys pairing it with? What ATs are you using it on? Are there any pairings that are especially synergistic or anti-synergistic? What do you think of the set overall?

Edited by Shocktacular

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs so far.
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

On 7/25/2024 at 12:24 AM, Shocktacular said:

I saw a bit of discussion in the Beta feedback forums, but I thought I'd make something that more people are likely to see.

Now that Marine Affinity is out, what are you guys pairing it with? What ATs are you using it on? Are there any pairings that are especially synergistic or anti-synergistic? What do you think of the set overall?

You can see various pairings here:

This exact question already exists:

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

Any MM or Controller that has a melee unit in it so you can anchor Shifting Tides on it and send them into battle.  Or Corrs/Def that have PBAOE's like Sonic or Dual Pistols.  Whitecap in and blow up everything while they are flopping on the ground. 

Marine also makes END intensive sets a lot easier to play, so a Fire Controller can run Hot Feet all the time.  It really is a very versatile support set, not that it specializes in anyone thing well, but makes everything..nice.

• Microphone 1

On 7/25/2024 at 1:24 AM, Shocktacular said:

Now that Marine Affinity is out, what are you guys pairing it with?

Plant, Storm Blast, Water blast, Beast Mastery ...

I think those are the only mixes I've done so far.

I think really this set is somewhat limited as to what kind of character conception and VFX thematic-wise I can fit to other combos, but that is an Aquaman problem, and I'm not overly concerned if it can fill that niche. 

What ATs are you using it on?

The 4 that can use it.

Are there any pairings that are especially synergistic or anti-synergistic?

In terms of character conception, visuals, or mini-maxing potential in the end-game?

I'm seeing a good number of posts that only focus on mini-maxing for the end-game, so I'm assuming that what the question is about.

I don't end-game, so I'll leave it at that.

What do you think of the set overall?

I really enjoy it. I wish there were more fish jumping around, but I have been having a lot of with it.

I don't want to make comparisons with other sets, but this is one that is really fun to play ... for me at least.

I made one of each like I did on test ... and then probably another one or two as the altoholism kicked in ... and then made one or two other characters because I made the marine affinity characters. 

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I have a project I'm just starting - Beam/Marine Corruptor. 

I really should make it a defender, maybe after the corr. 

I'm going a bit crazy trying to plot out a build for a powerset I only have a tiny bit of experience with. So much of the secondary, like a lot of buffs are for teammates, which I only encounter every so often because of my often afk-status. It sits at level 1, with nothing done other than just creating it while I try to figure out the build. 

I figured it should be quite good, but I'm not sure if I'll get the most out of it when solo. Maybe I'll just play it in the evenings. 

It's really too soon to say what I think about the set, as I'm not even sure what I'm going to slot in it. I do think the Marine Affinity set would be great for a super team to pursue. I think things will melt even quicker than the fire/rad super teams back on retail. (Not backed by any evidence at all) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ukase said:

So much of the secondary, like a lot of buffs are for teammates, which I only encounter every so often because of my often afk-status.

Well for soloists, those team buffs can be thought of as self buffs that also affect any other people you might have on a team afk with you.

The United States Navy to get them there.

gator.jpg.a83b0c12147371696709fcc07c0072cd.jpg

• Haha 2

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

All kidding aside, there are wonderful thematics you can do with it.  Storm Blast, Storm Summoning make natural sense, cold to a lesser extent as well as Earth anything to play out rocky coastlines and stormy seas.  Also sonic or Symphonic for that siren of the shores bit.  And because it is a solid set, it plays well.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

10 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

I was going to say Crayons haha

I keep a box of 96 crayons and some Bourbon on standby for when some marine buddies swing by to watch a game. Us army guys stick to the liquor and eat pizza/wings.

I have canned sardines for my navy friends. And I don't have any air force friends as I don't have the channel that ballet is on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

And I don't have any air force friends as I don't have the channel that ballet is on.

They are watching Rhythmic Gymnastics right now.

• Haha 1

I made a Fire/Marine/Fire Controller over the weekend, and that combo works really well for me: lots of explosions, knocking things down, fish and tentacles flying everywhere, and buffed-up fire imps that survive fights. Also, since fire control has that bit of blue in the power button icons, the UI is very pleasing from a color scheme perspective.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Microphone 1

I've been teaming with a nightly group who are all currently doing Marine characters.  I've made an elec/marine corruptor who's pretty fun.  One of my friends has a beast/marine MM that he absolutely loves.  I've also started a fire/marine controller because I've seen them mentioned in various places, but she's still a lowbie for now.

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs so far.

I initially wasn't interested, but after how potent it's made me feel when teammates have it, I'm thinking about giving it a try.

Torn between Earth/Marine Controller (coral crystal theme) or Demons/Marine MM (Lovecraftian horror).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Lazarillo said:

I initially wasn't interested, but after how potent it's made me feel when teammates have it, I'm thinking about giving it a try.

Torn between Earth/Marine Controller (coral crystal theme) or Demons/Marine MM (Lovecraftian horror).

Why not both?

• Microphone 1

• 4 weeks later

I forget what got me interested in Marine Affinity, but I went ahead and made an Ice Blast/Marine corruptor.  Early was difficult as it usually is with a new powerset, but a plan formed around Tide Pool, Shoal Rush and Ice Storm.  I'm not a healer so I'm good with Soothing Wave being the worst heal I've ever encountered.  Can't wait until I get Bitter Freeze Ray so I can dump Frost Breath