Enemy Damage

Another classic Ultimo deflection. Let's not hold our breath that anything was learned or absorbed in this thread by the OP. I'll wager we'll see another one of these weeds pop up in the future complaining about damage, and someone will take the bait. 

• Finland 1

10 hours ago, Ultimo said:

There's a balance point there that needs to be found.  Strong enough to be a threat to the tough guys, but not so strong that they overwhelm the squishy guys.

That is already the case.  It sounds like what you are looking for is balance around the lowest common denominator, which is not going to happen.

The game is already balanced pretty low on the difficulty scale, but you have to be willing to put in *some* effort on your part.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Finland 1

What this team needs is more Defenders

12 hours ago, Ultimo said:

The Controller has another 650 health, so he throws a couple of control powers, maybe a heal, maybe a debuff.  The AV hits him a few more times, and finally the Controller runs away before he's finished.

You've been completely clear, we understand what you're asking for. You're not really asking for AVs to do less damage, you're asking for them to do that damage slower so that you have a chance to react. I get that. Here's the problem, this is already in the game.

If your Controller, or your Defender of your previous examples, stays out of melee range the incoming damage will be low enough that you'll have the time to react that you're asking for.

TL;DR: What you're asking for is ALREADY IN THE GAME.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Finland 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

3 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

I will remind everyone that @Voltak did solo a +4/8 ITF with an Empathy Defender and posted a video of him doing it.

Obviously the game is not designed for anyone to solo content designed for 8 people, but with the right build and right person driving crazy things have happened.

I personally think if you're going to want to solo task forces you should have to use every reasonable resource at your disposal to be able to do so.

sooooooooo again . . . skill issue for the OP. lol

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Finland 1

I don’t usually go with the “skill issue” response on the forums but the fact that multiple posters in this thread have actually brought receipts and even in some of those old threads there are responses along the lines of “oh god this again” has me kind of agreeing.

TL;DR: Skill issue.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Finland 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

13 minutes ago, macskull said:

TL;DR: Skill issue.

Yeah, I don't think it's a skill issue so much as it's a "I refuse to adapt my tactics to something that everyone on the forums is telling me will work." Which I guess is technically a skill issue. I just tend to think of skill issue as not having the necessary reflexes or not understanding game mechanics.

And in the past "skill issue" and "get gud n00b" were things that people would post in response to me reporting BUGS.

• Finland 1
  • Microphone 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

'I don't like how Hulk can take me out with a single SMASH.' - So so many villains.

• Haha 5
  • Finland 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

1 hour ago, Without_Pause said:

'I don't like how Hulk can take me out with a single SMASH.' - So so many villains.

OFF TOPIC the issue of the World Wart Hulk story line where the HULK took on the X-Men and Jaggaurnaut, AND WON, is still one of my favorites. LOL

• Like 1
  • Finland 1

17 hours ago, Lunar Ronin said:

Don't forget classic old blue board threads like these:

Thanks for the links.

I just got done spending some time reading some of my posts on the old boards, including a thread where I got into it with Ultimo over his complaint about Energy Melee not having any ranged attacks. Also, I just realized, I was kind of a d*** back then.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Finland 1

43 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Thanks for the links.

I just got done spending some time reading some of my posts on the old boards, including a thread where I got into it with Ultimo over his complaint about Energy Melee not having any ranged attacks. Also, I just realized, I was kind of a d*** back then.

No problem.  When I have a lot of time on my hands, I like to occasionally peruse the archive for a stroll down memory lane.  It hurts when I occasionally come across a post made by friends who have gone beyond the rim.  Some of my old posts make me wince as well.  So many things have changed over the past 20 years, ourselves included.  Then again (looks at the OP), some things remain the same.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Finland 1

32 minutes ago, Lunar Ronin said:

So many things have changed over the past 20 years, ourselves included.  Then again (looks at the OP), some things remain the same.

History is cyclical.  It just usually takes more than six years for the cycles to repeat.  Let alone them repeating every 2-4 years.

• Finland 1

Huh. Yeah, I get where the OP is coming from it was a shock the first time it happened to me.

Now the OP has had a lot of good advice and if they want, they can struggle upwards improving everything eventually they will solo Manticore. And then think "what was all the fuss about?". Challenge set, challenge accepted?

• Like 1
  • Finland 1

14 hours ago, seebs said:

i mentioned this to friends who were around back in the day and they pointed out there's also a 1-shot prevention mechanic in the game.

the OP wants a "guaranteed" opportunity for a player to be able to fix anything incoming.  So, no 2 shots, no mez then dead, no need to have a brain, use tactics, plan, no chance to lose.

• Like 1
  • Finland 1
  • Banjo 1

4 hours ago, Snarky said:

the OP wants a "guaranteed" opportunity for a player to be able to fix anything incoming.  So, no 2 shots, no mez then dead, no need to have a brain, use tactics, plan, no chance to lose.

Fair point! It certainly seems to me that the OP wants to face a very limited amount of content (AVs, GMs) without using anything like strategy (e.g. Imma take a Defender into melee against an AV, and stay there) solo or in teams, and possibly without consideration for building and/or slotting their character. As other players are perfectly able to team their under-build ATs against the same content on teams without face-planting, and other players are able to solo that sort of content, the original post strikes me as the sort of proposal that literally has no lower limit on the ask to "make this game easier, hmmokay?" as players could always try to play worse and/or against all sorts of other content.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Finland 1

7 hours ago, Snarky said:

OP doesn't want to play. OP wants to win!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Finland 1

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

1 hour ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

OP doesn't want to play. OP wants to win!

LOL. Too true.  

“So, i slammed a bunch of heroin an hour ago and have managed to get into this mission.  I stare at the AV. He killed me.  Seems unfair.  As soon as I could get my hands to cooperate I posted the Devs should just make these things do a die animation when i arrive and give me the rewards.”   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Finland 1
  • Microphone 1

Dang, I didn't realize Snarky was so... snarky.  I apologize sir, I was not familiar with your game. 

• Haha 1
  • Finland 1

Choose your weapon:  Okay, I choose words.

I do not believe the false notion that "your ignorance is just as good as my knowledge."

Someone: "I can't solo this AV."

Me: "Did you - "

1. Research the AV in question, to learn their attacks and plan countermeasures?

2. Did you plan a build in MIDS?

3. Did you use all tools available to you, like inspirations, nukes, p2w, etc?

4. Are you playing an actual capable build, or is your build a meme or just for fun build?

Even with all these steps taken, even then not all Builds or powersets are capable of it. If you are expecting to just trade blows with an AV blow for blow in melee, while only having to use powers 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, I have some bad news for you - even builds that can solo AVs, are rarely capable of "that."

But let's play hypothetical here. Let us say for a moment, that the Staff waved their hand, and suddenly AVs could be solo by anyone.

What would challenge people who do all the above things? One of them, much less a full team of them? If AVs were suddenly hitting like limp noodles, a competent player could make a tank or something else, engage the AV, put one power on autocast, then go make a pizza from scratch (including growing the tomato's), file their taxes, change their engine oil, and read the entire Lord of the Rings and come back and its very likely they will still be trading blows with the AV.

And lets think beyond just AVs here. No Archtype, build, power combination, can solo absolutely everything in the game. Also let us not forget, the builds that "can" do such feats, are generally bad at other activities. As an example, a build that can solo AV's 1, 2, and 3, will not be the top performer on random speed mission pug team #453897. And I suspect this is entirely by design. Builds that are the best at soloing stuff, are generally not the best at group activities, fast activities, or farming.

Personally, I go by "know the pool you choose to swim in." Speaking as a primarily solo player, when you make a build "just for fun" you are knowingly making the choice to opt out of certain things, or not be the best at other things. The game isn't limiting you, you are choosing to limit yourself. Now, there is nothing wrong for liking just for fun things, I do that myself. But I choose to do so with the thought - "Gee, this power likely isn't the one to use on that one activity or enemy, but I can accept that."

This is like choosing to use training wheels, and then complain when you didn't win the bike race, and expecting them to shorten the line for YOU, while not considering the other 100 people in the race who trained, bought the best bike, practiced, practiced, practiced, tried many times, and failed, and only succeeded through persistence.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Finland 1

1 hour ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I'm gonna Occam's Razor this thread:

"I wanna beat up Hellions and get lvl 54 rewards"

I can forsee it now: the next Ultimo thread, but from the perspective of a lowly Hellion - "you're doing too much damage and one shotting me!" 

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Haha 2
  • Finland 1
  • Banjo 2

2 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

I can forsee it now: the next Ultimo thread, but from the perspective of a lowly Hellion - "you're doing too much damage and one shotting me!" 

I bet he's REALLY good at Elden Ring and Dark Souls.

• Finland 1