Favorite Sentinel combo

graeberguinn

Mine is by far fire/rad. It has high st damage with decent aoe. The radio armor because the built in haste and high resists make it very easy to build well. There is also a great absorb shield that gives regen/recovery and lastly a self heal on a very short cd.

• Like 1

Fire/Fire (/Fire) is my preference - great for hitting several foes at once.  Adding the Fighting pool for Tough (and Weave) allows you to hit the cap for Smashing/Lethal/Fire, and you have access to both a self-heal and a toggle heal-over-time that makes you exceptionally durable against even-con foes.

Against standard foes, Aim + Inferno + Fire Sword Circle + Fire Ball is sufficient.  Inferno recharges every 40 seconds with my build, so it’s up at least every other fight.  Otherwise, a rotation of Fire Breath + Fire Ball + Fire Sword Circle works, with single target Blaze and Blazing Blast attacks filling the gaps.  Foes with annoying effects like Sappers get targeted with Blazing Blast at the start of the fight, and I can usually knock them over and finish them off with Blaze and Flares before they get up.

Hover + a ranged/energy/negative defense over 30% means that it’s hard for enemies to hit me (softcap ranged defense is one purple away) and the damage that does get through is handled by resistances + Cauterizing Blaze.  Healing Flames is mainly used when I pull more aggro than expected, and Warmth is my backup heal if Healing Flames isn’t enough.

Energy/WP and Fire/Regen, as per my sig block, below.  ;)

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

I'm also playing Elec/Elec.  OP, if memory serves, you posted in my initial thread about that combo, right?  How's yours doing?  Mine's up to level 33. I'm liking her a lot.  I don't think she's going to replace my Elec/Elec Blaster, they're simply different from each other.

I'm strongly considering another go-round of the Archetype at some point, if Ann Ionic finishes strong.  Like Ann, it would probably be another mono-element theme build, either Ice, Fire, or Rad.

Ice Blast is one of the better sets for any AT that has access to it, but I think it works especially well for Sentinels.  I say this because Sentinels have a shorter recharge timer on their nukes, along with lower damage, but Blizzard offers a lot more than damage.  It's ranged; it covers a huge area; it can (kinda-sorta) bypass the Sentinel's lower target caps, and it inflicts heavy and fairly long-duration debuffs on the targets.

The most notable of these debuffs is an enhanceable 20% ToHit debuff.

A Sentinel with high +recharge could potentially have Blizzard on a ~25 second cooldown, for basically full uptime on the debuff (which AFAICT persists for 8 seconds).  This is obviously a huge asset, but it's best used on secondaries that don't depend wholly (or mostly) on Defense - so basically anything except SR, Ice, or Energy.

Unfortunately Ice was also nerfed a bit on Sentinels, otherwise; their version of Freeze Ray (Chilling Ray) has a much longer animation time - so single target damage will be a little lower than you might otherwise expect.  Still, the ST DPS should be quite good among Sentinels.

I'm really enjoying rad/bio/psi at 50 with hybrid and assault at t4 and the rest at t3

In teams I stick to the tank and drop my aoe rotation (irradiate, atomic blast or neutron bomb or void blast, reposition, psychic shockwave). Usually all the minions are dead, Lts are mostly dead and held, bosses are about 50-75%.

Solo in +3x8 I use stealth, celerity and super speed, to stand in the middle of groups then start my aoe rotation. Then move on to single target with proton blast and cosmic burst, only adding neutrino bolt when offensive opportunity is up or during the 10 or so seconds haste is down. I can't quite solo avs with regen at +4 and some take too long to bother at +3.

I'm currently softcapped melee and within a small purple for everything else but psi. I also have s/l resistance at 62% and barrier, which even at its worst gets me to within a couple percent of softcap. Also Ablative Carapace gives me a 1024 absorb shield on a 24 second cool down and Parasitic makes the you feel like a god if you can hit 4 targets on about a minute thirty cool down.

I don't currently have aim/gaussians proc in the build so it feels a little light on single target damage, ultimately I might give up DNA Siphon but it's really useful solo or when I'm soaking up alphas because there's no real tank around. It also nets me 40ish end which is nice in really long fights so I might just keep it and play a blaster for st damage, we really can't compete with them if they're built for it

Just some side notes, muscular radial plus rad gives all your targets -30 to 40% defense and neutrino bolt give -20% Resistance which is hopefully helping your team out.

Ultimately it feels like I'm playing the game on easy mode, I'm like a scrapper with a 2 or 3 button rotation that doesn't even have to target anything most of the time.

Heya Knottewe.  I am really interested in building a Rad/Bio.  I'm going to make the toon either way and just play him/flesh him out as I go, but is there any chance you can post your build?  No worries if it's not finished.  Just something to get me started.  Thanks!

I enjoyed Water/WP well enough that I got mine to 50 this evening.  Water blast is interesting.  Using the same frankenslotting tactic I use on my Bio/Spines tanker: Pacing of the Turtle -recharge procs in just about everything that will take one, starting with the AoEs.  A lot of soft control, especially with the knockback to knockdown slotted. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Heya Knottewe.  I am really interested in building a Rad/Bio.  I'm going to make the toon either way and just play him/flesh him out as I go, but is there any chance you can post your build?  No worries if it's not finished.  Just something to get me started.  Thanks!

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Technology Sentinel

Primary Power Set: Radiation Blast

Secondary Power Set: Bio Armor

Power Pool: Leadership

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Fighting

Power Pool: Leaping

Ancillary Pool: Psionic Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Neutrino Bolt

• (A) Decimation - Accuracy/Damage
  • (3) Decimation - Damage/Recharge
  • (3) Decimation - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge
  • (5) Decimation - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (5) Decimation - Chance of Build Up

Level 1: Hardened Carapace

• (A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
  • (7) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
  • (7) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP
  • (9) Unbreakable Guard - RechargeTime/Resistance

Level 2: Irradiate

• (A) Superior Opportunity Strikes - Accuracy/Damage
  • (13) Superior Opportunity Strikes - Damage/RechargeTime
  • (13) Superior Opportunity Strikes - Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime
  • (15) Superior Opportunity Strikes - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (15) Superior Opportunity Strikes - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (17) Superior Opportunity Strikes - RechargeTime/Chance for Opportunity

Level 4: Inexhaustible

• (A) Performance Shifter - EndMod
  • (17) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End
  • (19) Healing IO

Level 6: Cosmic Burst

• (A) Superior Sentinel's Ward - Accuracy/Damage
  • (19) Superior Sentinel's Ward - RechargeTime/Chance for +Absorb
  • (21) Superior Sentinel's Ward - Damage/RechargeTime
  • (21) Superior Sentinel's Ward - Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime
  • (23) Superior Sentinel's Ward - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (23) Superior Sentinel's Ward - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime

Level 8: Environmental Adaptation

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed
  • (25) Luck of the Gambler - Defense
  • (25) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)
  • (27) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance

Level 10: Adaptation

Level 12: Maneuvers

• (27) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance

Level 14: Hasten

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (29) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 16: Ablative Carapace

• (A) Panacea - Heal
  • (29) Panacea - Heal/Endurance/Recharge
  • (31) Panacea - Hea/Recharge
  • (31) Panacea - Endurance/Recharge
  • (31) Panacea - Heal/Endurance

Level 18: Proton Stream

• (A) Apocalypse - Chance of Damage(Negative)
  • (33) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (33) Apocalypse - Damage/Endurance
  • (33) Apocalypse - Damage/Recharge
  • (34) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge

Level 20: Rebuild DNA

• (A) Doctored Wounds - Heal/Recharge
  • (34) Numina's Convalesence - Heal/Recharge

Level 22: Boxing

• (A) Kinetic Combat - Accuracy/Damage
  • (34) Kinetic Combat - Damage/Endurance
  • (36) Kinetic Combat - Damage/Recharge
  • (36) Kinetic Combat - Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 24: Tough

• (A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
  • (36) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
  • (37) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (37) Unbreakable Guard - Endurance/RechargeTime

Level 26: Neutron Bomb

• (A) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage
  • (37) Positron's Blast - Damage/Endurance
  • (39) Positron's Blast - Damage/Recharge
  • (39) Positron's Blast - Chance of Damage(Energy)
  • (39) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

Level 28: Weave

• (40) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 30: Combat Jumping

Level 32: Atomic Blast

• (A) Superior Avalanche - Recharge/Chance for Knockdown
  • (40) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (40) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (42) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (42) Superior Avalanche - Damage/Endurance

Level 35: Genomic Evolution

• (A) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%
  • (42) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)
  • (43) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
  • (43) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
  • (43) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (45) Unbreakable Guard - RechargeTime/Resistance

Level 38: Parasitic Leech

• (A) Touch of the Nictus - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge
  • (45) Touch of the Nictus - Heal/HitPoints/Regeneration/Recharge
  • (45) Touch of the Nictus - Accuracy/Healing
  • (46) Doctored Wounds - Heal/Recharge
  • (46) Doctored Wounds - Heal/Endurance/Recharge

Level 41: Mass Hypnosis

• (A) Accuracy IO

Level 44: Psychic Shockwave

• (A) Obliteration - Damage
  • (46) Obliteration - Chance for Smashing Damage
  • (48) Obliteration - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (48) Obliteration - Damage/Recharge
  • (48) Obliteration - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (50) Obliteration - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 47: Link Minds

• (50) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Recharge
  • (50) Adjusted Targeting - Recharge

Level 49: Super Speed

• (A) Celerity - +Stealth

Level 1: Brawl

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Sprint

• (A) Empty

Level 2: Rest

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Health

• (A) Numina's Convalesence - +Regeneration/+Recovery
  • (9) Panacea - +Hit Points/Endurance
  • (11) Miracle - +Recovery

Level 1: Hurdle

• (A) Jumping IO

Level 1: Stamina

• (A) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End
  • (11) Performance Shifter - EndMod

Level 1: Swift

• (A) Run Speed IO

Level 10: Defensive Adaptation

Level 10: Efficient Adaptation

Level 10: Offensive Adaptation

Level 0: Portal Jockey

Level 0: The Atlas Medallion

Level 0: Task Force Commander

Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve

Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon

Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment

Level 50: Reactive Core Flawless Interface

Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany

------------

Just to give credit where its due, I started with Sovera's fire/bio build when they first posted it and made changes along the way.

Also, the resistance numbers in game are about 5-10% higher than whats showing in Pines. I think its the shield wall 5% and genomic evolution having incorrect numbers but it could also be user error.

I love my Energy/Invul. He has defence caps to all damage types but Psi, S/L resist cap, perma-hasten, perma-HP Cap (if I want it through dull pain), and great ST damage. After accolades he also has 135 endurance, which is great.

AoE is a little light perhaps but that's more of a choice since I skipped the cone attack.

Invul is a hugely underrated power set on Sentinels. I guess its not flashy and, dull pain aside, very passive, but as far as click-and-go survivability goes, it's a beast. Very keen to try pairing it with ice blast for the two rains.

• Like 1

I like vanilla ice cream and I also like chocolate ice cream.  I can't really pick a favorite so I eat which ever flavor suits me best in the moment. 

It is that very logic as to why I have so many alts.  I have made seven Sentinels now.  One I retired early in the 30's and remade, and two are brand new. 

I just like the AT overall. It fulfills a lot of concepts I wish I could have made a long time ago and I am just having a blast rotating these characters.  I have made versions of them on Justin to test builds so I also have a good feel for what they are like as a finished product.

Energy/WP and Fire/Regen, as per my sig block, below.  ;)

Can you elaborate as to why you like each sent? Pros and cons. Playstyle. Etc.

I like Energy/WP because it feels the most like classic Iron Man to me: he dishes out powerful blasts of energy, but also is really tough and resilient.  I'm always in the thick of battle, standing beside the tanker, blasting away with mobs in my face or across the room.  He's the closest I've come to achieving the perfect mage-tank.

I like Fire/Regen because ... FIRE!  Heh heh heh heh heh ...  It's wicked fast and has good AoE damage.  I play him ranged, usually hovering above the battlefield, raining down fire.  While not as durable as my Energy/WP, he's definitely more durable than my blasters.  If I take significant damage, I just fly away for a few seconds for my insane +regen to refill the green bar, and then fly back in for more destruction.

@Rathstar

In my COH history I generally play controller because I enjoy locking things down and mostly adding utility to my teams. After playing few trollers to the 40s I realized it was time to try something different. I tried a few corrupters and defenders but couldn’t really get into them.

Although I have read many many posts about Sentinels not being “great” on paper, I decided to make an elec/wp and I am in love with the AT. The resistance debuffs in the first 2 attacks are amazing and willpower has been a great starter set I feel because it’s very passive and it gives me the ability to navigate the battlefield, debuff the big guys, and AOE the minions down.

I love this AT and I am quite interested in trying some other combos...bio armor and Rad armor are looking like a lot of fun to add even more debuffs to help in groups etc. the blast sets all look great too!

Has anyone tried soloing some big AVs with a sentinel yet? I have never played beam rifle but it looks like it could be a contender with the -regen. All I know is I love the sentinel and I am so happy to be playing COH again!

• Like 1

I have solo'd av and pylons without incarnate abilities.

Would you be willing to share builds?  I'd love to know how you're doing that.  For a friend.  ;)

• Haha 1

@Rathstar

I built a Beam Rifle/Bio and I love him. Watch for Steambrain on Indomitable. I'm now working on slotting him out with Sets. I'm stealing from other Bio builds people have posted. It's fun!

Yeah this was the no-brainer combo for me too, beaming away with a constant 50%+ damage buff in offensive mode. Not to mention the -regen from BR and -res from Opportunity then add your preferred Interface and wow a killing machine.  A great debuffer and DPS for any team.

• Like 1

I have solo'd av and pylons without incarnate abilities.

Would you be willing to share builds?  I'd love to know how you're doing that.  For a friend.  ;)

this is a build i use now. i have removed meltdown because i didn't ever use it except on a pylon before i got incarnate powers. It isn't defense capped on anything at all. That being said i can tank the world on this toon. link minds the 5% def from barrier and the absorb shield mixed with an on demand heal and good regen makes this thing a hovering force of nature........and of course that force is fire because we like damage even though we are on a sentinel.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Daisy Blaze Remix: Level 50 Mutation Sentinel

Primary Power Set: Fire Blast

Secondary Power Set: Radiation Armor

Power Pool: Flight

Power Pool: Fighting

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Leadership

Ancillary Pool: Psionic Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Flares

• (A) Superior Opportunity Strikes - RechargeTime/Chance for Opportunity
  • (3) Superior Opportunity Strikes - Accuracy/Damage
  • (3) Superior Opportunity Strikes - Damage/RechargeTime
  • (5) Superior Opportunity Strikes - Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime
  • (5) Superior Opportunity Strikes - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (11) Superior Opportunity Strikes - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime

Level 1: Alpha Barrier

• (A) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)
  • (13) Impervious Skin - Resistance/Endurance
  • (23) Impervious Skin - Status Resistance

Level 2: Gamma Boost

• (A) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Endurance
  • (7) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Accuracy
  • (7) Efficacy Adaptor - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (9) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Accuracy/Recharge
  • (9) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Recharge
  • (39) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod

Level 4: Hover

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • (33) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)
  • (33) Shield Wall - Defense

Level 6: Blaze

• (A) Apocalypse - Chance of Damage(Negative)
  • (11) Apocalypse - Damage/Endurance
  • (19) Apocalypse - Damage
  • (19) Apocalypse - Damage/Recharge
  • (21) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (21) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Recharge

Level 8: Aim

• (A) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Chance for Build Up

Level 10: Fire Ball

• (A) Superior Sentinel's Ward - RechargeTime/Chance for +Absorb
  • (13) Superior Sentinel's Ward - Accuracy/Damage
  • (15) Superior Sentinel's Ward - Damage/RechargeTime
  • (15) Superior Sentinel's Ward - Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime