Aug 26, a classic mmorpg releases. How will

wjrasmussen

1 minute ago, GM Widower said:

He means WoW Classic, I imagine. Since the core CoH population has always been rather disdainful of WoW, I'd guess "not much, if at all".

Werd. Never played it before, don't intend to now.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

I tried WoW when it first came out and found it to be a very generic fantasy MMO. I've never picked it up again after the one week trial I used.

• Like 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

30 minutes ago, Lazarillo said:

Since this is kinda lacking in context it's hard to say.  First and foremost, how can a game that's not even out yet be a "classic"?

It was a bad attempt to avoid giving the name so there wouldn't be free advertising for it.  I should have known better spelled it all out.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

I can't say that I'm planning to check it out.

Now if they came out with a WotLK server, I'd be over there in a heartbeat, but rest assured that I would still dedicate a significant portion of my gaming time to CoH.  Over the years I've played many MMOs; and while others changed, CoH was always the constant.  I suppose you could call it my "Persistent Persistent World."

I remember conversing with someone in the 'RP Gathering Area' in Atlas Park about trying out "one of the new games" that were just about to hit release (those being WoW & EQII). We decided to sample WoW on the side. It bored the piss out of me and I was quickly back to playing only CoH. I would later sample EQII and I enjoyed it a HELL of a lot more than I enjoyed WoW, and it would become a co-game with CoH for years, as each took turns being my Primary Game of the Moment.

I know WoW was/is an exceedingly successful game, but it just never held any interest for me.

9 minutes ago, Shazzie said:

I remember conversing with someone in the 'RP Gathering Area' in Atlas Park about trying out "one of the new games" that were just about to hit release (those being WoW & EQII). We decided to sample WoW on the side. It bored the piss out of me and I was quickly back to playing only CoH. I would later sample EQII and I enjoyed it a HELL of a lot more than I enjoyed WoW, and it would become a co-game with CoH for years, as each took turns being my Primary Game of the Moment.

I know WoW was/is an exceedingly successful game, but it just never held any interest for me.

I preferred EQII as well, at least until they revamped crafting. Twice. It was unique and nearly a separate game until they dumbed it down.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

Just now, Frostbiter said:

I preferred EQII as well, at least until they revamped crafting. Twice. It was unique and nearly a separate game until they dumbed it down.

DEATH BY FORGE!!  Yes :) I loved their interactive crafting system.

• Like 1

Eh.  I liked the game in Wrath.  Was okay in Mists and Cata (despite ongoing nerfs to Inscription's profitability).

But Classic?  As in, Vanilla?  I played that, originally.  Loved it, until my Dwarf Ranger hit level 21 or 22, in Loch Modan, and ..... solo-ability dried up, instantly.  😞

Left the game until about three weeks before Wrath dropped, in large part because of that.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

City of Heroes hurt their growth a bit by having such high graphic expectations, especially Ultra Mode, Reflections and Shadows. I had 14 gig of ram, a Dual Core AMD Processor, a dedicated Aegia Physics Co-Processor and Yamaha Audio Card.

Even though COH will run on almost any PC now, even at Ultra, that wasn't the case for most of it's History. If you wanted to play it and didn't have good gear you had to severely dial back the resolution and special settings till it didn't hick-up and rubber band. We used to make jokes about WoW, that most of it's popularity was that it was designed to run on almost everything, we even Joked it would run on a TRS-80, ( Crickets Chirping, as no one probably remembers what those were ). But there is some truth there, look at all the people that don't even play PC or console games, just Phone and Tablet apps.

Does anyone think they will be able to do a game like this on a tablet? Maybe, seems like it would be difficult at best to have that much game and environment and controls in a tablet. I think this will be fine, may even pick up some people from other CoH servers, but when I see how quick the donations close, I think we have a long way to go before we need to worry about losing too much population.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

2 hours ago, GM Widower said:

He means WoW Classic, I imagine. Since the core CoH population has always been rather disdainful of WoW, I'd guess "not much, if at all".

Ah, yeah, I'd suspect there's not a lot of overlap there, though I've misunderstood the thought processes of my "peers" in the gaming world before, too.

I'd suspect CoH is going to be a weird little blip when compared to most other games going forward anyway, due to the whole part where it's financed via donation/truly "free".

Yeah, there have already been very long discussions about the similarities, and distinctions between WoW, and CoH.  I think for the most part, folks who played both back then, will again.  Those who were never a fan will stay right here.  So, it won't pull everyone away from our servers overnight. 😀

What was no more, is REBORN!

I've tried WoW twice.. once while CoH was live and I lasted 2 weeks.. and then last year because I didn't have an online game I could play and all my co workers were playing it (during work hours). I got to level 20 with a character and the free trial doesn't go farther. It took about a month and then I dropped it. 

WoW really doesn't hold much for me. 

3 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

I still boggle at the fact so many people have such powerful nostalgia goggles that it was actually made.

IMO, FFIV blows WoW out of the water, so 'going back' to an older version holds no attraction.

The only reason Blizzard is re-releasing "Classic" WoW is because they got tired of shutting down private servers running the old game files before many of its expansions came down the pipe. It is an incredibly niche part of their market and this is mostly just an attempt to spend less money on legal efforts and actually just recoup the funds internally through their own servers. From what I remember from a few years ago, one of the biggest servers they chased after had maybe 100-150,000 "players" (accounts). Get that many replacement accounts back in their pocket at even just $5-$10 a month subscription, that's a lot of money for something that has zero development, and is just idling on servers with a few GM's monitoring it. Even if that cost them a million to keep running a year, they're still making half a million just keeping the lights on.

I remember when I was playing CoH and WoW came out and all my local friends who were playing CoH jumped to WoW.   I had played EQ for 3 years before that and was kind of burned out on fantasy, so didn't go.  Eventually I took a break from CoH, and at some point all my cow-orkers were playing WoW and convinced me to try it.  I managed to keep it up for 3 months, but I kept thinking, Why the hell can't we fly?  Why do I have to go on fetch quests and gather x pieces of grass? 

I have no interest in WoW.

7 minutes ago, Justisaur said:

I remember when I was playing CoH and WoW came out and all my local friends who were playing CoH jumped to WoW.   I had played EQ for 3 years before that and was kind of burned out on fantasy, so didn't go.  Eventually I took a break from CoH, and at some point all my cow-orkers were playing WoW and convinced me to try it.  I managed to keep it up for 3 months, but I kept thinking, Why the hell can't we fly?  Why do I have to go on fetch quests and gather x pieces of grass? 

I have no interest in WoW.

Oh the fetch quests annoyed me to NO end... Get 10 wolves paws... and you have to kill 50 because 40 wolves had all 4 paws obliterated??? No. Just. No.