Homecoming Incarnate Guide a.k.a Incarnates made easy

Vea

Update: 07/08/2019 - I have read through some responses and updated the guide. Any changes to the guide has been included in green.

Preface

This guide is written by somebody who has not had any experience with Incarnates when the game was live, so there may be gaps in knowledge and inaccuracies. Also there are a couple of opinions throughout. Simply consider it as a the guide to incarnates with the least resistance or a noob guide. This is a simplistic guide, it's not the best method or quickest route. It just tells you the easiest way without too much thinking.

Fundamental principles

Incarnate components and experience can all be gained from normal content once you hit level 50. This means you do not need to run any story arcs to unlock slots or experience.

The best salvage for Incarnates is Empyrean Merits and Incarnate Threads. You do not need to seek any other salvage. You can simply convert threads to Common and Uncommon components. Convert merits to rare and very rare. This is all done in the Incarnate power screen.

Obtaining Salvage

The best way to obtain salvage is simply to level beyond 50, each level beyond 50 is known as a veteran level. You obtain threads as soon as your alpha slot is unlocked. Each level beyond 50 will provide 120 thread. However this will stop after Vet-level 11.

You obtain Empyrean merits every 3 levels up to Vet-level 99. The amount of merits received will fall over time. The amount you receive is as follows:

• Vet-level 3 to 24: 20 Empyrean Merits
  • Vet-level 27 to 48: 15 Empyrean Merits
  • Vet-level 51 to 69: 10 Empyrean Merits
  • Vet-level 72 to 99: 5 Empyrean Merits

For context, at Vet-level 6, you should have 40 merits and at least 480 threads.

I would recommend following this guide as a more effective way to get salvage. I now only use Emp Merits for Very Rare salvage.

Unlocking slots

As mentioned above you unlock each incarnate slot by playing beyond level 50. You can unlock the alpha slot by running the Mender Ramiel Arc which could be quicker than getting experience. However the last mission is a pain in the butt if you are a squishy and unslotted.

You should have the hybrid slot unlocked by Vet-level 12.

Slotting abilities

Salvage is converted in the incarnate power screen, check to see what your ability needs. You will need to scroll down for Alpha abilities.

Each ability will have its own section below. However each ability has four tiers and cost the same amount of salvage. The first three tiers are quite straight forward with the cost as follows:

• Tier 1 - 3 commons cost 60 threads
  • Tier 2 - 2 commons 1 uncommon cost 100 threads
  • Tier 3 - 2 commons and a rare cost 40 threads 8 merits.

Tier 4 requires having two tier 3 abilities, 2 common salvage and a very rare salvage costing 30 merits. Therefore the total cost for a tier 4 ability is: 440 threads and 46 Empyrean merits. Please see the tips and tricks section for slotting the Tier 4 Alpha.

For context you should be able to have a tier 3 ability for each slot by Vet-level 9 and enough salvage to slot the Hybrid slot once it is unlocked.

Alpha Slot

Alpha acts as an enhancer in every power that can take an enhancer of at least one kind your Alpha provides. A portion of this "enhancer" also ignores Enhancement Diversification, based on the tier of Alpha you choose, this is a very important thing to note, and in some cases it makes the difference between Tier 3 and Tier 4 massive. (Note: Powers that cannot receive enhancers do not benefit at all from the Alpha slot. Spiritual Alpha will not directly increase the recharge speed of Domination, for example)

The Alpha slot does not let your build do anything it couldn't on its own, instead it makes it easier to do these things. If you're running without many +defense powers, the defense bonus from Agility will not have much benefit for you.

The last thing to note regarding the Alpha slot, is that while a portion of the benefits ignore Enhancement Diversification, they do not effect CAPS.

Your caps for powers are determined by global benefits + slotted enhancements (including the Alpha slot), so it's best to keep track of your bonuses to make sure you're not wasting bonuses because you're going over the cap regularly.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Alpha_Slot_Abilities

In simple terms it is like having an additional enhancement to whatever is already slotted.

Judgement Slot

The judgement slot is an AoE attack that recharges in 120seconds.

All abilities have two trees, one that increases damage or one that causes a secondary effect. All the secondary effects seem a bit rubbish with the exception of Vorpal which provides defense. (This is opinion based)

It doesn’t really matter which one you choose, you could choose an ability that is thematic to your character. The base damage dealt is the same across all abilities; each ability has a different type of damage so you may find that some damage is less resisted (e.g Fire with Pyronic).

The important thing for this ability in my opinion is the way the ability is fired, each ability is different. So the question you should ask yourself is if you would prefer a PBAoE, a cone or a Targeted AoE.

Some highlights of these abilities are the Ion ability which has a maximum targets of 40. The Void ability has the maximum radius (50ft).

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Judgement_Slot_Abilities

Interface Slot

Interface is arguably the most powerful of the Incarnate slots, a passive proc effect that can on some of them be guaranteed. Can't softcap on your own? Get -acc from Interface. Want to solo GMs/AVs? Get -regen. Out for pure damage, capping damage a lot? Get -resist.

The damage procs in Interface are Meh. The debuff procs are amazing. -regen, -resist, and -maxhp are all extremely brutal, and they trip (or have a chance to) on every single attack you make.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Interface_Slot_Abilities

This is my least favourite ability, I T4 this last. The proc is or feels buggy.

Lore Slot

This is a mastermind style pet that can be summoned. I based my decision on a forum post from before shutdown and I signpost you to that thread here: https://web.archive.org/web/20120906044812/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=288994

Note: Banished Pantheon, Knives of Vengeance, Talons of Vengeance and Tsoo were not included in this test.

Essentially there are two trees to choose from, this being Double Damage vs Support + Damage.

TL:DR: Pick double damage Cimerorans for an overall good pet.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_Slot_Abilities

There was an update for the beta when the game shutdown which altered the output for Lore pets. I would recommend going either for thematic pets or look for a pet that reduces certain holes within your character. For instance if you need more recharge, the Phantom Support will give you Adrenalin Boost. Do you lack -regen for AVs? Go for Longbow or Warwalkers.

Destiny Slot

A click buff power that affects those around you and within your League. Think Hasten. See the link here to determine which fits your character.

Tier 3 and Tier 4 can sometimes allow for the buff to be permanent.

The buff itself diminishes overtime, so do not rely on what Pines says if you use it.

Honorable mentions here are Ageless, which allows you to no longer worry about Endurance and Clarion which gives mez protection to all.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Destiny_Slot_Abilities

Hybrid Slot

Hybrid abilities are split into two: An ability that is on all the time as an Auto ability and then a toggle that costs no endurance.

The auto ability increases in strength as the tiers go on.

The toggle element is again split in two and differs for each ability.

If you are struggling to choose one and are a DPS AT, just select Assault for +DMG. As far as I know +DMG is better than double hit.

This thread talks about double hit vs +DMG. I personally choose hybrid with the more powerful auto-ability because I always forget to turn the toggle on!

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Hybrid_Slot_Abilities

Tips and Tricks – Do’s and Don’ts

Empyrean Merits can be transferred between characters (on the same account) using the e-mail system. This is done by converting them into Transcendent merits at a merit store if you want to transfer large amounts of merits. If not it is one at a time.

Empyrean Merits can be converted to regular merits. 1 Empyrean Merits = 10 regular merits. I personally wouldn't do this. Transfer to a new character.

Do not buy incarnate experience.

A big tip currently is slotting your T4 Alpha without using Emp merits. You currently can convert Incarnate Shards (which currently are useless) to the relevant component, and then getting involved with weekly strike forces for notice of the wells. You can convert two notices of the wells to a favour of the well which is a T4 Component. This saves you 30 Emp Merits. I would however still use Emp merits for T3 Components, this is due to a restriction on getting one notice of the well per week. Total cost of a T4 Alpha this method is: 400 Threads, 16 Emp Merits, 48 Incarnate Shards and two notices of the wells. I'm going to keep this in, but on the majority of my incarnate level characters I am simply waiting around for shards to drop, shards don't drop as often as I would like and it would be quicker just to use Emp Merits.

Alpha T3 provides a level shift. I.e you are displayed as 50+1. This affects all content that is level 45+. You are effectively one level higher making it easier to hit things and do more damage.

Lore T3 provides an incarnate shift. Only in iTrials/Incarnate Content you benefit from this.

Destiny T3 provides an incarnate shift. Only in iTrials/Incarnate Content you benefit from this.

I would recommend following this guide as a more effective way to get salvage. I now only use Emp Merits for Very Rare salvage.

Running Apex/Tin Mage TFs back to back with a decent team allows for two rolls of salvage, 80 reward merits and some extra bits and bobs in less than 45 minutes. It's also fun. (Need to be alpha slotted)

Add me in game: @Vae/@Vea - I play on Torchbearer.

Here is a link to Pines (Mids):

Edited by jimjimjimmeh
Update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Vea/@Vae/@Vew - You can call me V.

Good info, some notes and/or corrections:

Alpha

Alpha does not increase the effectiveness of enhancements. Alpha acts as an enhancer in every power that can take an enhancer of at least one kind your Alpha provides. A portion of this "enhancer" also ignores Enhancement Diversification, based on the tier of Alpha you choose, this is a very important thing to note, and in some cases it makes the difference between Tier 3 and Tier 4 massive. (Note: Powers that cannot receive enhancers do not benefit at all from the Alpha slot. Spiritual Alpha will not directly increase the recharge speed of Domination, for example)

The Alpha slot does not let your build do anything it couldn't on its own, instead it makes it easier to do these things. If you're running without many +defense powers, the defense bonus from Agility will not have much benefit for you.

The last thing to note regarding the Alpha slot, is that while a portion of the benefits ignore Enhancement Diversification, they do not effect CAPS.

Your caps for powers are determined by global benefits + slotted enhancements (including the Alpha slot), so it's best to keep track of your bonuses to make sure you're not wasting bonuses because you're going over the cap regularly.

Judgement

Judgement (and all other non-passive Incarnate powers) is unaffected by Global Recharge.

Interface

Interface is arguably the most powerful of the Incarnate slots, a passive proc effect that can on some of them be guaranteed. Can't softcap on your own? Get -acc from Interface. Want to solo GMs/AVs? Get -regen. Out for pure damage, capping damage a lot? Get -resist.

The damage procs in Interface are Meh. The debuff procs are amazing. -regen, -resist, and -maxhp are all extremely brutal, and they trip (or have a chance to) on every single attack you make.

Hybrid

Hybrid is a weird one and sometimes hard to pick. Support is also a really good one to choose if you're in a bind.

As for +dmg vs. double hit, it's not quite so clear cut as one is better. If you regularly hit the damage cap, +dmg is basically worthless to you, while the chance for double hit bypasses the damage cap the same Containment, Scourge, and Criticals do.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

Thanks for the feedback. I've modified for what you have posted.

I know interface is powerful, what I meant it's something I can't see the benefit is because it's not easy to see. Maybe it's my lack of game knowledge but you can't really tell how much -regen has been stacked on the AV/GM etc. Where as say the judgement and lore abilities, its pretty clear what they do.

I've received feedback about Hybrid and the damage cap argument always comes up. I just wish I teamed more that gave me this damage cap!

@Vea/@Vae/@Vew - You can call me V.

Thanks for the feedback. I've modified for what you have posted.

I know interface is powerful, what I meant it's something I can't see the benefit is because it's not easy to see. Maybe it's my lack of game knowledge but you can't really tell how much -regen has been stacked on the AV/GM etc. Where as say the judgement and lore abilities, its pretty clear what they do.

I've received feedback about Hybrid and the damage cap argument always comes up. I just wish I teamed more that gave me this damage cap!

So you meant literally, you cannot see the results of it. Sorry, I misinterpretted that.

Also, one other thing of note:

You can T4 everything by Veteran level 50, without any outside drops.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

Could you talk a little bit more basically about this?

1. What are Incarnates?

2. Why do I want them?

3. How do I get started earning them?

1. Incarnates are post-level 50 progression. In story-terms, it is The Well of the Furies noticing you and lending you its a bit of its mythical powers. The origin stories for Statesman and Lord Recluse involved their finding the Well of the Furies and gaining their powers from it. This is far beyond what normal metas can do.

2. You want it because it continues your progression, introduces you to new solo and group content, and follows through the story-lines of the game. Incarnate abilities can be used to fix problems in your build, such as having too much endurance consumption, not enough accuracy, too little damage, and etc. You can make your character better at what they already do, or add some flexibility or utility to it. It also can make you awesomely powerful.

3. In this version of the game (i25), you will automatically begin progressing into the incarnate system once you reach level 50. You don't need to do anything special. You will start seeing combat log entries about earning new kinds of experience to unlock your incarnate slots, starting with the Alpha slot. You will also earn experience towards Veteran levels, which will award you a variety of incarnate merits and incarnate threads, which will get you started on the way to making the abilities to put in your unlocked incarnate slots.

You can also do it the original way, by finding Mender Ramiel in Ouroborus, and doing his story arc: "Power Overwhelming".

2. Why do I want them?

In particular, the Clarion power that was mentioned, clickable perma-mezz protect, meant my Rad defender could then fearlessly solo spawns with lots of mezzing like Rikti, Carnival, etc. that previously shut off his debuffs and killed him pretty much every time.  Why you want them depends on the AT, maybe a Tank wants a way to do a Blaster level nuke for example, but they are definitely potent in high end content. 

And I hate them, because when I get my main to 50 in this new game, I'm going to be torn between continuing to play her to get good Incarnate powers, and working up alts to 50, darn it. . . :)

You can easily play other alts and still progress quite a bit on the 50 on Homecoming by just doing one mission a day in Dark Astoria.  You can get 10 threads (which is basically 1/6 of a tier 1 Incarnate power) once a day by running repeatable missions there once a day.  I usually do it twice a day for 10 threads and 2 Merits and those missions are quite simple (protect 5 items, save three captives, destroy an object and defeat 3 bosses as examples).

I usually run them when eating cereal in the morning before work and then in the evening if I feel like playing, I run other alts while keeping an eye out for Trials or TFs I would like to run on my 50.  I have been playing far more casually then I have ever played before but in the time since Torchbearer launched I have a 50 with higher Incarnate powers in all the time I played on live.

Thanks for the guide.  Do these Veteran Levels count as actual levels?  Back when the game was live, I only ever unlocked the Alpha slot due to RP reasons and because I didn't want to trivialize all the level 50  non-incarnate content.  Homecoming seems like they're forcing us to go down that path though.  If I have 10 vet levels, will all those +4 aliens in the Rikti War Zone be grey to me?  And if I turn off XP, can I still get the Alpha slot? Thanks again!

I'm pretty sure you still get incarnate XP when XP is turned off since you're not actually gaining levels, you're just unlocking the capacity to craft new powers... although I didn't think to test it out.  Likewise, veteran levels don't count as actual levels (although you do get the light show and buffs all around for every veteran level same as actually leveling up), so you don't have to worry about outleveling all outdoor maps.  The toughest those Rikti War Zone enemies will get is +3 if you have a rare or very rare alpha ability.

I'm pretty sure you still get incarnate XP when XP is turned off since you're not actually gaining levels, you're just unlocking the capacity to craft new powers... although I didn't think to test it out.  Likewise, veteran levels don't count as actual levels (although you do get the light show and buffs all around for every veteran level same as actually leveling up), so you don't have to worry about outleveling all outdoor maps.  The toughest those Rikti War Zone enemies will get is +3 if you have a rare or very rare alpha ability.

Cool, thanks!

Also, the Alpha level shift is the only one that affects regular game content. The others only come into play during Incarnate Trials, which have you facing level 54 and 55 enemies.

Small correction: Incarnate trials and the Incarnate story arcs (the six Mot-related Dark Astoria arcs, the Belladonna Vetrano arc, and the Number Six arc) use your full Incarnate Shifts.

Edit: Correction to my correction: just being in Dark Astoria lets you use your full level shifts, as does doing repeatable missions there (from Ephram Sha for heroes, or Maharaj for villains).

Ironically, this makes Incarnate solo content slightly easier than normal solo content.

Are incarnate abilities unique per build?  Does a character have to create new incarnate abilites for each of their 3 builds?  Or will the character's builds all have access to the incarnate abilites the character has already created?

Also, the Alpha level shift is the only one that affects regular game content. The others only come into play during Incarnate Trials, which have you facing level 54 and 55 enemies.

Small correction: Incarnate trials and the Incarnate story arcs (the six Mot-related Dark Astoria arcs, the Belladonna Vetrano arc, and the Number Six arc) use your full Incarnate Shifts.

Do those non-Mot ARcs also give Empyrean Merits on completion like the Mot arcs?

• 2 weeks later

Tips and Tricks – Do’s and Don’ts

Empyrean Merits can be transferred between characters (on the same account) using the e-mail system. This is done by converting them into Transcendent merits at a merit store.

You don't have to convert the Empyrean Merits into Transcendent merits to email them to your other character.  Just compose a new email and drag the Emypyrean Merits into the attachment slot.

You don't have to convert the Empyrean Merits into Transcendent merits to email them to your other character.  Just compose a new email and drag the Emypyrean Merits into the attachment slot.

True, you can also send Empyrean and Astral Merits directly, but you can only send one Merit per mail.  So if you have a lot, converting them to Transcendent merits first lets you send 50 of them per mail instead of one.

I've had my alpha slot unlocked for a while but have been putting off slotting it mostly because I really didn't have a good grasp of how the system works and/or how to craft it. I've learned enough now that my ignorance is no longer a barrier, and in the meantime I've earned a little over 100 incarnate shards. If my math is right, with those shards plus some key incarnate components from WST/ITF/Rikti raids that I either have in hand or can get fairly easily, I should have enough to craft one alpha ability all the way to tier 4.

As I understand it, incarnate shards are only good for crafting the alpha ability and nothing else. It seems to make the most sense to me to use my shards for that, and save my threads for later abilities. Is there any compelling reason NOT to go ahead and use up my shards to craft my T4 alpha?

I've had my alpha slot unlocked for a while but have been putting off slotting it mostly because I really didn't have a good grasp of how the system works and/or how to craft it. I've learned enough now that my ignorance is no longer a barrier, and in the meantime I've earned a little over 100 incarnate shards. If my math is right, with those shards plus some key incarnate components from WST/ITF/Rikti raids that I either have in hand or can get fairly easily, I should have enough to craft one alpha ability all the way to tier 4.

As I understand it, incarnate shards are only good for crafting the alpha ability and nothing else. It seems to make the most sense to me to use my shards for that, and save my threads for later abilities. Is there any compelling reason NOT to go ahead and use up my shards to craft my T4 alpha?

You will also need a whole lot of influence. Budget carefully.

You will also need a whole lot of influence. Budget carefully.

Does the shard route require more influence, or do both the shard and thread route require the same amount (roughly speaking)?