Pro Tip: Don't Engage in Real World Trading

Cipher

31 minutes ago, Abraxus said:

When using in-game resources, at worst it's an exploit, at best just utilizing available means.  But, purchasing in-game resources from outside the game, using real cash, I believe that's where the line is drawn.

No I mean its funny that people resort to using RMT when there are guides on the forums that show you how to make the big bucks with ease and a little patience. You could literally do 10 minutes work a day on the auction house and make yourself bank with very little effort and no real money has to trade hands. This isn't like WoW where making money off the auction house is a closely guarded secret.

Edited by DR_Mechano
  • Like 3

Just now, Myrmidon said:

We all laugh, however, PvP could have been one of the most enjoyable aspects of this game if they had been able to get the base raid system to function.

I disagree, at least for myself. When I signed up for City of Heroes, I signed up to play a HERO, working together with other heroes to fight against the evils of the world's villains. I never wanted PvP, and I have zero interest in it. I think I've stepped in a PvP zone maybe twice ever, and just out of curiosity. I'd rather play a cooperative game rather than a competitive game. There's enough tribalism in the world out there what with all the sportsballs and the wars and such, that to me, a cooperative game where you work WITH humans to fight AI, is a refreshing change of pace. I don't need to play against other humans for the sake of my ePeen.

Though, of course, I understand that some other humans feel that need to be competitive with each other. In my opinion, that need should be squashed wherever possible as a relic of our caveman days.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
I'm out.

18 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

I disagree, at least for myself. When I signed up for City of Heroes, I signed up to play a HERO, working together with other heroes to fight against the evils of the world's villains. I never wanted PvP, and I have zero interest in it. I think I've stepped in a PvP zone maybe twice ever, and just out of curiosity. I'd rather play a cooperative game rather than a competitive game. There's enough tribalism in the world out there what with all the sportsballs and the wars and such, that to me, a cooperative game where you work WITH humans to fight AI, is a refreshing change of pace. I don't need to play against other humans for the sake of my ePeen.

Though, of course, I understand that some other humans feel that need to be competitive with each other. In my opinion, that need should be squashed wherever possible as a relic of our caveman days.

Base raiding was a very cooperative part of the game to actually win. The “kill count” did not matter, only the outcome of securing the Item of Power. Aside from some kicking around with it and be asked to join a PvP league once (which led to six weeks of being able to team with Zwillinger, which was awesome), PvP is pretty much a dead system to me as well.

Edited by Myrmidon

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

1 hour ago, Myrmidon said:

We all laugh, however, PvP could have been one of the most enjoyable aspects of this game if they had been able to get the base raid system to function.

I have always been very sad this did not work out, seems like it would be so cool, think of the possibilities with the new base love as well.

Base raiding would be awesome sauce!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

I have always been very sad this did not work out, seems like it would be so cool, think of the possibilities with the new base love as well.

The new base love and base raids are mutually exclusive.  If they ever want to bring back base raiding, they'd have to implement a "raidable base" option in the editor which would limit the build to the old pathing rules; otherwise you could just stick your item of power into a giant rock where nobody can get to it.

1 hour ago, Extor Prime said:

If the devs ban everyone who buys Inf for real money, who is going to buy my overpriced enhancements from the market with gobs of disposable inf?..

Me, and all the people i throw my gobs of disposable inf at. And I'm not even close to as wealthy as folks who actually enjoy the market or farming. 

2 hours ago, Eva Destruction said:

The new base love and base raids are mutually exclusive.  If they ever want to bring back base raiding, they'd have to implement a "raidable base" option in the editor which would limit the build to the old pathing rules; otherwise you could just stick your item of power into a giant rock where nobody can get to it.

You do have a point, Eva. It actually might be a better possibility by making it a limited instance.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

Ah, impatience and entitlement at its finest. It's a shame people like that filter into mmos, but they do and give the gold farmers easy targets. I'm wondering how they're advertising, though. I've never seen anything in various chat channels or gotten a /tell like would happen on live. 

• Like 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

13 hours ago, Eva Destruction said:

IMO, mutually exclusive is a bit extreme but I see your point.

To me, it just means some level of restrictions to insure an equal playing field have to be added.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mrzapp said:

I don't care one way or another. If someone has more money than time have at it.

I'm very glad players have to earn things here instead of just buy them.  I never understood the point in paying others to play the game for you.  Everything they have isn't an achievement at all.  When WoW started selling level 90 on official servers, I knew I'd never return.  It's pathetic, greedy, and pointless.  There are also a ton of downsides for encouraging "gold farmers".  They are nothing more then server pollution.  I have seen first hand how they can degrade a game. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Spotlore said:

I'm very glad players have to earn things here instead of just buy them.  I never understood the point in paying others to play the game for you.  Everything they have isn't an achievement at all.  When WoW started selling level 90 on official servers, I knew I'd never return.  It's pathetic, greedy, and pointless.  There are also a ton of downsides for encouraging "gold farmers".  They are nothing more then server pollution.  I have seen first hand how they can degrade a game. 

I agree the ecosystem that usually accompanies RWT for MMOs is a bad thing.

However, IMO, that does not make the idea of purchasing content pointless or in any other way logically or morally wrong.

It simply means that there are different ways to fund new content.

I do, will, and would HAPPILY give my money to anyone producing costumes, content, etc. for a game I like, they have bills to pay.

I bought everything from CoH back in the day just for this reason.

I throw money at good games all the time, happy to do so.

Funding a game and RMT are two separate issues, even if they touch on each other.

• Like 1

I just recently did a search for CoH Homecoming on Google and the first link to appear is a PAID add to "Buy CoH Influence and power leveling". It was probably not all that expensive since the market for buying a Google add for results in "City of Heroes Homecoming" is probably not that great.  But it is kind of a sign that Homecoming has made it. You have generated a parasitic secondary market.

image.thumb.png.42b61c80c29cffbc9d412e3fc712efd8.png

21 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

I'd love to have the opportunity to build a "danger room" type base where PvP is enabled. 

Per the website above...

• $45 Powerlevel 1-50 in 90 minutes.  That job pays $30 an hour. 
  • $5 for $30 million INF.  That takes about 15 minutes to get that kind of INF.  That only pays $20 an hour. 

I'll keep my day job. 

Edited by tafilr

• City Council
2 hours ago, quixoteprog said:

I just recently did a search for CoH Homecoming on Google and the first link to appear is a PAID add to "Buy CoH Influence and power leveling". It was probably not all that expensive since the market for buying a Google add for results in "City of Heroes Homecoming" is probably not that great.  But it is kind of a sign that Homecoming has made it. You have generated a parasitic secondary market.

image.thumb.png.42b61c80c29cffbc9d412e3fc712efd8.png

That's quite something.

Do you know what would be a real shame?

If tons of people clicked that paid ad. (cough)

A real shame indeed.

(edit: gotta turn your adblock off!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

4 hours ago, Spotlore said:

They were here before and it really didn't impact me. Some people are not playing this not to achieve anything other than have fun. Some people don't want to play like you. However you play does not bother me anymore than how others play.