Day Jobs, and lower level characters

Abraxus

Lately, I've begun to realize that my pursuit of ALL day job badges for all of my characters is getting increasingly difficult.  Mainly, for my lower level characters who have to venture into zones that are so far above their current level, that getting spotted, and taking even one attack is fatal.  The ones that have fly have it a little easier.  The Super Jump crowd, less so.  Then there is the fact that some zones are difficult, or impossible to even get into, before a toon is above a certain level. 

I am going for it in most cases, but it has not been without it's casualties along the way, and I know that some of them will have to advance a few more levels before they can acquire certain badges.  But, the challenge is making the pursuit all the more rewarding when I hear that "ding" of a Day Job badge, in a place where this toon has no business being at this stage in their career.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

Just now, Abraxus said:

Lately, I've begun to realize that my pursuit of ALL day job badges for all of my characters is getting increasingly difficult.  Mainly, for my lower level characters who have to venture into zones that are so far above their current level, that getting spotted, and taking even one attack is fatal.  The ones that have fly have it a little easier.  The Super Jump crowd, less so.  Then there is the fact that some zones are difficult, or impossible to even get into, before a toon is above a certain level. 

I am going for it in most cases, but it has not been without it's casualties along the way, and I know that some of them will have to advance a few more levels before they can acquire certain badges.  But, the challenge is making the pursuit all the more rewarding when I hear that "ding" of a Day Job badge, in a place where this toon has no business being at this stage in their career.

Depending on time of day, I bet if you asked, some helpful 50 would team with you to make your travel there (and later out) easy.  I know I would anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I managed to find safe routes through Peregrine, surprisingly enough.  I just headed out to the water, on the west side of the island, and followed the shoreline, until I was even with Portal Corp, and the Arena.  There I was able to get the Duelist, Intern, Dimensional Explorer, and SG Base Monitor Day Job badges all very close together.  But, in First Ward, a few of them got killed at D.U.S.T headquarters, until I learned to just put them on the roof of the building.  But, getting the Psychologist badge at Mother of Mercy Hospital in that same zone got a little rough outside the front door with roving patrols of high 20's, and early 30's level enemies.  It's challenging, but nothing I haven't been able to overcome.

Just thought it would make for some conversation. 🙂

Edited by Abraxus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

I splurged on p2w jet packs for some of my lower level chars for getting around First Ward, but that's the only place I've needed to do that.  The PI beacon drops you right in Portal Court if you have access to a base, and the Tunnel to Night Ward drops you right next to the Midnighter Mansion there, so you don't even have to navigate Steel Canyon to get Midnighter.  I have a level 2 (set aside to only play when me, my wife, and both our sons can play at the same time) who by the end of this month will have every blueside day job except Predator, Chronologist, and Cimeroran, which all have a hard level lock on them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Abraxus said:

Well the only day jobs that are "level locked" would be the PVP zones as you have to be a certain level to enter bloody bay, but once you enter any PVP zone just park near the entrance and you get teh badge in 100 hrs.

Vanguard: park in the vanguard base and in 100 hrs you have a full meter that will ding the badge after you train to 35

Cimerora: have to be 35 to enter that zone, can't be avoided. This is the one day job that is truly level locked as you can't enter Cimerora with out being L35 and a member of the midnighters

Midnight Club: use portal in Atlas to go to Night Ward, the area you appear in is safe, go into the Midnight mansion, receive a map badge, the midnighter badge if you didn't run the arc to get it, and park in there  or else now you can go to the midnight club via Steel Canyon if you are a lowbie and park in there.

Ouroborus: go to Echo Galaxy City, use the train to enter Ouroborus if you can't use/don't have the portal. Grab the map badge there and then park.

First Ward: Base teleporter will put you in the graveyard there where you can work the Mortician Dayjob.  After that go work the 4 dayjobs in that zone.

If your lowbie has the jump jet pack that once was awarded along with the Pocket D VIP badge, then go to Peregrine and if you can't fly use the jump back to hyper jump through Peregrine.  Head to the water and you can take a scenic swim to the arena, after that Dayjob use the jump pack to get to the police station there for that DJ. After that use the jump pack to help get to portal corp.  Once in there take the portal to Firebase zulu as that DJ should give a jet pack with about an hour of fuel ( i think), then portal back into portal corp and park in that room for the Intern DJ.    Doing this gets you the Police station, Firebase and Portal corp DJ's which are blueside only.

As long as you have a jetpack with about an hour of fuel, presuming you didn't take flight at level 4 when the pool powers open, (can always respec out of it later), with some judicious use of the jet pack you can fly above the danger spots and park somewhere safe. 

Mercy Island: you can work the arachnos base,  pilot, and ferry Day jobs.  After that, take the ferry to Nerva and either jump pack/jump or fly to the crey building and get inside it, whoever once inside you cannot just park at the door you have to move into the office to say near the desk or doors in there and then park for that DJ.  After that Ferry boat to Grandvile,  take some steps off teh boat and docks to that big grandville wall in front of you and log out. After that go pack to Port Oakes and get to the building where redsiders have to register their super groups and park in there.  After that you have all 6 of the redside only Dayjobs.

Atlas Park:  a bit of a honey pot for Dayjobs:  log out in city hall for a blueside only, the trainstation for another blueside only, the tailor, SG base portal,  hospital, police station for another blueside only,  Auction house,  then there is a vault, and Atlas is an entrance to the vanguard base.   Atlas also has the portal to get to Night Ward and First Ward.

Pocket D: has its own DJ, the bank/vault, and teh hospital DJ...however parking at the arena controls does not seem to provide the arena badge.  Peregrine or Port oakes for that.

Echo Dark Astoria,: SG teleporter puts you there and basically that entire zone lets you work the mortician badge.  The spot you appear in is usually safe so jsut log out there. After 100 hours, if you cant travel out or teleport out, take the "debt express" by getting pounded on and then hitting the hospital.  That will put you near the exit portal.

Dark Astoria: base teleporter puts you near the base portal entrance so walk away from it or else you will not get credit for parking in DA. Go to the wall near the zone entrance from the base portal and then log, that area is safe.

I have a level 1 MM that I plan to rebuild but right now he's just sitting at level 1 working the DJ's both blue red.

However here is a screenie of another Level 1 of mine that is missing only PVP and Cimerora. he also doesn't have the 6 red side only ones as I don't plan to switch his alignment.

level1DJ.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

25 alts with all the badges!

I tend to prioritize day job badges for perceived utility to the character.  Lowbies go for the Pocket D badge first; higher levels park in Cimerora.  Then you collect the ones that do things, like the train station and the University. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Also, for lowbies terrified of traveling through PI, the Tunnel will take you direct to Firebase Zulu, for dimensional explorer. From there you can safely get to portal Corp in PI for Intern, and the Arena is reasonably short trot for Duelist. 

Edited by ZekeStenzland
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ZekeStenzland said:

Also, for lowbies terrified of traveling through PI, the Tunnel will take you direct to Firebase Zulu, for dimensional explorer. From there you can safely get to portal Corp in PI for Intern, and the Arena is reasonably short trot for Duelist. 

Also if I recall the hospital in Pi is near the water, so from portal Corp you could take the hospital express by getting defeated, go to the hospital and then swim safely to the arena.

As to th day jobs, I use them to keep idle alts busy. Every four days I log in the next ready group and move them to the next Day job.  As to charging up the useful ones...it does look like you need 21 days to completely charge up the power, which was the same back in the day. One of my alts is a natural origin scrapper who uses street justice and will power, so in keeping with the fact that they would have a utility belt full of gadgets they would spend time charging the accolades that confer temp powers like smoke bombs, etc.  All in all though, I still do not like the day jobs. They may take less time to obtain, but it is still about 33weeks to get them all, presuming that is all you are doing is day jobbing

Edited by Nericus
  • Like 1

• 9 months later

Incidentally, for the Hospital express, the P2W Self-Destruct power is a bargain at 100,000 inf. By the time you need to worry about debt, it should be affordable. A no-debt way to exit a fight gone bad? A free trip to the nearest hospital? Such a bargain!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 10/5/2019 at 9:32 PM, doc_miller said:

except Predator, Chronologist, and Cimeroran, which all have a hard level lock on them.

Chronologist is for spending time in Ouroboros, right?  You can get to Ouro at any level if you go to Echo: Galzy City and click the swirly where the train used to go. Don't know if there's a level limit on the badge, but it is indeed possible to log out there at level 1 oer 2.  Recipe bonus at that level would be interesting.

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

1 hour ago, Heraclea said:

Chronologist is for spending time in Ouroboros, right?  You can get to Ouro at any level if you go to Echo: Galzy City and click the swirly where the train used to go. Don't know if there's a level limit on the badge, but it is indeed possible to log out there at level 1 oer 2.  Recipe bonus at that level would be interesting.

You can get the Ouro exploration badge Chrononaut in Echo: GC, Chronologist is for time spent in Ouro which you still cannot access until L15.

Edit: Nevermind... you apparently can get into Ouro via Echo: AP and even use the regular exit back to Atlas Park. You can even grab the Ouro portal while there and drop it down, but you cannot enter Ouro through the Ouro Portal temp power until you are L15. Go figure.

Edited by Oubliette_Red
  • Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

On 10/7/2019 at 2:08 AM, ZekeStenzland said:

If you log out in FBZ, you get a free jetpack which time spent logged out = free minutes (frequent flyer miles). comes in handy... and free

On 10/5/2019 at 4:18 PM, Abraxus said:

But, getting the Psychologist badge at Mother of Mercy Hospital in that same zone got a little rough outside the front door with roving patrols of high 20's, and early 30's level enemies.  It's challenging, but nothing I haven't been able to overcome.

It can be a little rough getting to the location without Flight, but SJ is almost as good, and a little care with SS addresses the problems there. I generally park characters on top of the portico above the exploration badge there.

On 7/13/2020 at 3:37 PM, Oubliette_Red said:

you apparently can get into Ouro via Echo: AP and even use the regular exit back to Atlas Park.

The tram in Echo:GC will take you to Ouroboros as well as all the other Echo zones, as do the Ouro portals in the Echo zones (the Echo:GC 'portal' is the only one that actually uses the tram). Generally, after I pick up the travel power on a new character, I'll go to Echo:GC, do the badge/plaque tour, tram to Echo:AP, do the same thing there, then go to Ouroboros and get the badge for the portal, then return to AP.