When is enough enough?

Harlequin565

Maybe it's never enough for some of you!

When Homecoming kicked off we all started from 0, but over time I've now restocked myself back to where I was on live (pre-shutdown).

I have 9 50s I think - all fully decked out with boosters too (I've deleted 4 that I didn't like) . I have another ten characters I'm working on, all in various states of completeness. I have a base full of enhancement storage, and all the bins are at the point where if I delete anyone over 40, I've got no space to store the enhancements they unslot. I have 3 bins of L25 enhancements, a bin of L50 enhancements (mostly end, recharge and movement speed) and the rest are sets.

I stop marketing on my 50s when they hit 50. Any inf they get after that just gets handed down. I'm now at the point where all my non-50s have >200mil each and so my marketeering is massively reduced from where it was. Mainly because I don't actually need any more money. Every sub 50 toon does enough marketing to keep his/her inf over 200mil which allows me to buy whatever attuned enhancement I need as I level. And the amount of marketing this requires is trivial.

So.

When is enough enough for you?

Obviously this is a subjective idea, each person's "enough" will be different. I feel that this game, like most games for me, is trip and not a destination. I don't have an idea of once I have done this, or accomplished that, then I'm done and have had enough. As long as I am having fun, whether it be teaming, solo play, farming, playing the market or fumbling with creating AE content, then I haven't had enough. Once I quit enjoying the trip, then I've had enough.

I've only got a couple of 50's and only one that I'd say is fully kitted out. Maybe I'll have had enough when I play a bit longer, but for right now, I'm loving that CoH has been brought back to life!

Well spoken words Hardship, and I agree with everything you said, but I believe Harlequinn, great name by the way, is asking when enough Infuence is enough. 

I don't know if I actually have an answer for that one. Not sure what my liquid total is at now. Every 200ish millon I send out an email to be claimed by an alt most of which I don't look at anymore except for storing influence. (I finally hit the 2nd page of characters and of those 11 heroes 7 are destined to be stripped of IOS  (seems I think everyone needs Glads  and Steadfast +s by lvl  7 lol), creative costumes saved and fun names written down  (I'm looking at you Hero Named Ted who began life as Hero Name TBD) and ultimately deleted. 

Whatever it adds up to is a lot. Enough that I can now drop a billion if need be to simply try something out, 3 times if need be to compare the 3 builds on my blaster (which now that I have his first actual Respec done is what I am working towards) to see if some minor reworking make any real difference. 

Is it enough?  Sure, I would imagine it is but there is always room for more. 

I don't actually market on whatever I am actively playing with the exception of collecting things for its build. For me the temptation is to great to click on WW right away and I would rather be dealing with Malta. 

TLDR Lots but not all of it. 

Happy hunting and Merry Christmas. 

When HC brought this game back, I didn't set out to acquire the 100+billion I had amassed prior to shut down. Maybe it was only 10 billion? I think it was 100. Anyway, I digress. I know how to market, and gathering the resources was and remains very easy for me. 

But, about a month in, the HC devs did something that took me by complete surprise and cost me some influence - they seeded the market with salvage. Instead of the 2 million per rare salvage I'd anticipated, the cap was now 1 million, and most seem to believe that 500k is as much as anyone should ever spend on it, because the prices may go up or down a bit, but they have averaged about 500k since that point. 

So..I thought to myself, with all the bucketing of various IOs, ANYTHING could change. They might start making the exchange of reward merits for converters more costly, or charge a fee just to make the conversion. Most know that "influence sinks" (something for the wealthier characters to drop their influence on) are quite okay with Leandro, at least, that's my understanding. The one thing that I remain confident in, they aren't going to retroactively take influence away or remove the items stored from our bases. 

They may come out with a new policy restricting storage, given the impact this has on their servers, but I think we/they have handled that issue thus far. 

So, it's like real life in some way; inf, like money is a tool. But, the more you have, the more choices you have down the road. It only makes sense to "pay yourself first" and every time you get a nice drop and sell it, you should stash a certain amount for your upcoming characters. 

I'm at the point where ALL of my level 50's carry 1 billion. I have 13 on Excelsior, and 2 level 46's that also carry 1 billion. 
I have 5 on Torchbearer with 1 billion, 1 on Indomitable, plus 21 billion in email, not to mention over 200 winter packs that are unopened. Still not sure if I'm going to sell them back at 22 million or so when the sale ends, or open 'em all and drop the Winter IO's in slowly as supply drops (if it drops - I know I'm not the only one thinking of this) 
So that's about 42 billion, plus winter packs, and at least 2 dozen full sets of purple IOs and PvP IOs stashed in my bases on Excelsior, Torch and Indom. I just plop 'em in there, as while they have nice recharge bonuses, most of my characters opt for defense, because with so many attacks, recharge isn't really that necessary for most of them. 

There's no question in my mind I have "enough"...for now. But who knows what changes lie ahead? 

The crazy thing is, I still start my alts off with zero! I make them scrounge the rare level 30 and level 50 recipes that are ridiculously under-priced on the AH. Some folks are so altruistic, it's insane. Selling a recipe for 100 inf, when the vendor will give you 100k? You're either very nice, or very lazy. Nobody can be that stupid. But my level 1 will gobble those up as best as it's able to do once it's exchanged the merits from Echo:Galaxy, Echo:Atlas, Atlas and Kings Row for some quick cash via converters, and then buy some level 41 red fortunes, craft and convert to lotg 7.5%, then once I sell a couple of those, I'm up to the pvp IOs. When I get a nice 100m or so, I'll chill, play the game until the mid 20's then market some more to get all the IOs I need for that toon up to 50 and just stash 'em in the trays. 

Nothing most of you aren't already doing in one way, shape or fashion or another. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ukase said:

So..I thought to myself, with all the bucketing of various IOs, ANYTHING could change. 

I'm at the point where ALL of my level 50's carry 1 billion. 

The crazy thing is, I still start my alts off with zero!

My moment of clarity was when, overnight, the apparent cap on common salvage went from 10k to 5k.  It is possible that it wasn't a dev initiative and that an individual set up a cap at 5,000, but it was more than 10,000 deep before I gave up trying to lift it.  Anyway, prices on anything can vary at Dev whim, and I'm ok with that, but I am not relying on anything.

All of my alts carry at least 500mm.  Mad money.

I also start out at zero.  First thing I do out of tutorial is to sell my enhancements to a vendor and then sell my large inspirations on the AH.  Then they work their way up to 500mm, while picking up sets on the way.

It's all way too much, which is why I try to avoid active marketing anymore once each alt gets their nut.  I probably have a few hundred bn in emails and bids on things that could go away overnight and I probably wouldn't even notice.  But what really grinds my gears is when I see a really fat open market niche that no one is using, and I just have to get my hands dirty.

Who run Bartertown?

A little more than I have now.  😄

Realistically, I want to be able to kit out a new level 50 immediately, and/or help several friends do the same at the same time.  And I'm well past that point so... mission accomplished.  But I haven't stopped marketing anyway.

• Like 1

To clarify, I wasn't seeking a "right" answer, just curious how others feel/play.

'Enough' for me is 200mil/alt constantly. When the alt is fully kitted out, I don't bother with inf on that alt any more. I have also seen some of the glaring holes that Yomo mentioned and just wondered if some people just don't play the market any more simply because they have "enough".

THanks for all the replies folks!

12 hours ago, Harlequin565 said:

So.

When is enough enough for you?

Most of my lvl 50s sit around 500M, because as I'm leveling them up, I am also playing the market, spending inf as I go. It is usually one or more of the level 50s that helps the new alts get started, usually by providing IOs, or by simply providing inf to buy things from P2W ASAP.

I've found that 200M inf is more than enough to get an alt started in the market: that is plenty for the portable workbench, recipes, salvage, converters, and AH vig costs to quickly make even more inf to fund the inventions you want along the way. 200M can even let you be a little sloppy (but not too much) with higher priced items in the AH like ATO or Winter-Os.

I'm terrible at playing the market, and farming bores me to tears, so I just never seem to have enough.  I've never had more than 250M on any one char at a time, usually spread across my "mains".  I have only 3 level 50s that are fully-kitted out with complete IO sets (see sig below). 

I rarely have an alt that I love so much I believe it "deserves" a full IO set build-out.  So I've ended up with another half-dozen 50s that are still running with common IOs plus a few (but not necessarily all) of the "essential" global/universal procs (Miracle +Rec, Numina's +Rec/Regen, Panacea +HP, Glad Armor +3% Def, Steadfast +3% Def, Unbreakable +HP, etc.). 

Ironically, this also includes my Spines/Fire Brute farmer, which I play rarely, and usually only to generate a few dozen million at a time to buy things for another alt that has my attention at the moment.  I'm usually more interested in the alt than the farmer itself, so that particular cobbler's child goes with lousy shoes so the alt can get the shiny new ones, instead.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Part of the fun for me is to start my new characters out with zero like others have mentioned.  Then when I get a good drop, I craft it, and it's still exciting.  Someone else mentioned journey being the fun not necessarily the destination.  This is pretty much me to a tee.  Up to 45 total characters and I pretty much like them all - only 3 level 50s on HC.  I'm probably sitting on 450 million INF between them.  But I'm good for now.  That is, until another goal is set.

I have the co-op fully functional on Torchbearer at about the place it was on old live.  Almost any piece of rare salvage will already be in the racks - too bad there isn't a filing system.  There are four enhancement tables, one for lowbies, one for sets, one for random yellow set pieces to gamble with, one for high level generics.  These are filled close to capacity.  I don't have a lot of inf on any character; when it starts to build up, I buy something that an up and coming character will use.  There's a rack filled with sets of Halloween salvage, and another filled with candy canes, and another that's almost all catalysts. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

• 2 weeks later

I’m at around 20 50’s all with billion-something builds and have another dozen alts from 32-49 also holding a billion or so each to fund them.  I have a notebook of at least another 25-30 alts I’m planning, most will be PL’d to 28-32 and then just parked with funds until I decide on their builds.

I’m way, way beyond where I was on Live.  It’s actually hard to spend a billion on an alt with current market pricing, but +5 boosting will get you there.

I rarely play the market anymore, lost interest relative to farming influence and the seeding activities of the devs. 

“Enough” is relative to how you enjoy the game.