Charging for Powerlevelling to level 50

Queen Nefertiti

1 hour ago, Troo said:

It is my opinion that Charging for Powerlevelling is exchanging real world currency (time) and barely one step removed from 'real money'. Globally advertising that service could result consequences. 

Well, that's an absurd and quite frankly wrong opinion. 

7 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Similar discussions went on for weeks on the pre-snap forums about incarnate leveling. Some people absolutely loved how everyone was forced to team to get anywhere. Any discussion about speeding up the solo path was met with damn near hysteria.

Guess who's laughing now, #*&$(*#$&(*#&$#?!?!?!

some seedy middle manager in Seoul?

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

1 hour ago, siolfir said:

Hm. I knew about the enhancement level and attuned bit, knew that it didn't matter what level you placed the slots, but I thought power availability was part of it too.

Learn something new every day.

I thought this also.

So if I have a purple set in my level 32 power, i get those set bonuses exempted at level 1? 

Wow. 

1 hour ago, siolfir said:

Hm. I knew about the enhancement level and attuned bit, knew that it didn't matter what level you placed the slots, but I thought power availability was part of it too.

Learn something new every day.

Obviously, you must be a PL'd newbie.  Had you played 1-50, you would already know everything about the game and be typing up guides for everyone on how to play the right way.  

Sheesh.  Some people, eh?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jshmoe1236123 said:

Obviously, you must be a PL'd newbie.  Had you played 1-50, you would already know everything about the game and be typing up guides for everyone on how to play the right way.  

To be fair, I am a PL'd newbie. The last time I didn't take advantage of the super-sidekicking was before it was introduced.

Mostly because I haven't been the leader on every team I've been on since, but still... that's enough to qualify as a PL for some of the people posting here.

58 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

My latest build has 6 purple sets 

So my level 1 version should be lit, lol

Dude, your Brawl is going to be EPIC. Especially if you 6-slot it for Endurance Reduction.

Edited by Coyote
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Corruption said:

Well, that's an absurd and quite frankly wrong opinion. 

So you are okay with exchanging real money for powerleveling?

I've asked some folks before to which they might respond "That's not what I said." which to me seems a bit hypocritical. 

Corruption, you may certainly be an excellent player and admitted PL junkie (which I have no problem with) but good luck arguing with an opinion.

As many a significant other might say "That's how I feel.". You can stomp your feet, whine, cry, name call or yell and scream all you want.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

14 minutes ago, Troo said:

So you are okay with exchanging real money for powerleveling?

I've asked some folks before to which they might respond "That's not what I said." which to me seems a bit hypocritical. 

Corruption, you may certainly be an excellent player and admitted PL junkie (which I have no problem with) but good luck arguing with an opinion.

As many a significant other might say "That's how I feel.". You can stomp your feet, whine, cry, name call or yell and scream all you want.

I'm confused. You're stating that you think charging for powerleveling is exchanging an in-game item (XP) for real-world currency (time) and that that's barely removed from charging actual money... so by that same logic, isn't simply being powerleveled by someone else (even if you're not paying) also exchanging that same in-game item for real-world currency? That's more than a little absurd. There's no functional difference between being powerleveled for free and paying in-game currency to be powerleveled.

I understand the crux of your argument here is "yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man," - of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion and no one's going to argue that but if you're of the opinion that, say, the sky is actually salmon-colored, people are entitled to think your opinion is bunk.

Edited by macskull
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

1 hour ago, jshmoe1236123 said:

n00bz...

Nobody plays to 50, they just sit in LFG chat begging each other to PL them to 50. Maybe if you got of your high horse and took one for the team, PLed these n00bz to 50, they might stop begging for PLs in LFG chat and they too can know everything about the game. Because PLing to 50, helps n00bz learn about the game, right?

Pssht, who am I kidding! Nobody needs to play the game to know everything about the game, all one needs to do is visit these forums and let all of these know-it-alls tell them all about the game and how there is no such a thing as a wrong way, much less a right way. Then, all these PLed n00bz can have knock back festivities! No need to learn about the game, let's just PL to 50 and add knock back enhancements to everything!  😄

Starting to sound like the Idiocracy Movie.

Interesting. Which part of the quoted post confused you? 

There could be a good point in your reply.. gimme a bit to ponder. I believe ultimately I'll disagree but I'll definitely consider what you're stating.

[reserved for response]

57 minutes ago, macskull said:

I'm confused. You're stating that you think charging for powerleveling is exchanging an in-game item (XP) for real-world currency (time) and that that's barely removed from charging actual money... so by that same logic, isn't simply being powerleveled by someone else (even if you're not paying) also exchanging that same in-game item for real-world currency? That's more than a little absurd. There's no functional difference between being powerleveled for free and paying in-game currency to be powerleveled.

I don't think you are confused. You may have quoted the incorrect post, but seem to have understood what I wrote. And then, threw it into a blender.

I believe ultimately as I understand from what you wrote, the distinction could be: 'charging for a service' versus 'helping or assisting other players'

If a player was to exchange money for an in-game service, that is a no-no and expressly prohibited behavior. (I understand that this only close to the situation being discussed and not exactly, but it does heavily influence my opinion on the matter)

Edited by Troo
only a couple more posts and this will hit 10 pages

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

45 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Ummm... no. Me. I'm laughing cuz I can T3 a new alt in a matter of days not years.

Were you doing it wrong on live?!

The chinese would have gladly helped you out for $100 US or 1,000,000,000 infamy, which ever you preferred. One week.

(joking of course)

1 hour ago, Troo said:

Interesting. Which part of the quoted post confused you? 

There could be a good point in your reply.. gimme a bit to ponder. I believe ultimately I'll disagree but I'll definitely consider what you're stating.

[reserved for response]

I don't think you are confused. You may have quoted the incorrect post, but seem to have understood what I wrote. And then, threw it into a blender.

I believe ultimately as I understand from what you wrote, the distinction could be: 'charging for a service' versus 'helping or assisting other players'

If a player was to exchange money for an in-game service, that is a no-no and expressly prohibited behavior. (I understand that this only close to the situation being discussed and not exactly, but it does heavily influence my opinion on the matter)

I did at least partially reference a post I wasn't quoting, but the majority of my response was in regards to the quoted post. All that aside, there is a not-insignificant difference between charging in-game currency for in-game services and charging actual money for those same services. If I'm understanding you right (and I think I am) you're saying there is really no difference between those two because:

1. Time is money and therefore
  2. Being paid in in-game currency for your time is therefore equivalent to being paid in actual money for your time.

I don't think any reasonable person is treating their time playing this game like a job so I don't buy the "time is money" argument here. They're playing the game in their free time and if what they're doing is providing a service for other people and making a little extra something in-game, there should be no problem there.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, macskull said:

I did at least partially reference a post I wasn't quoting, but the majority of my response was in regards to the quoted post. All that aside, there is a not-insignificant difference between charging in-game currency for in-game services and charging actual money for those same services. If I'm understanding you right (and I think I am) you're saying there is really no difference between those two because:

2. Being paid in in-game currency for your time is therefore equivalent to being paid in actual money for your time.

I don't think any reasonable person is treating their time playing this game like a job so I don't buy the "time is money" argument here. They're playing the game in their free time and if what they're doing is providing a service for other people and making a little extra something in-game, there should be no problem there.

I don't like the fact that your name is Macskull, but yet your avatar is that of a smiley face. Change it. Skull. Now.

Just now, Solarverse said:

I don't like the fact that your name is Macskull, but yet your avatar is that of a smiley face. Change it. Skull. Now.

One of my biggest complaints about the current forum software is that I can't use my "php script disguised as a jpeg that loads a different avatar whenever the page is refreshed" avatar.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, macskull said:

One of my biggest complaints about the current forum software is that I can't use my "php script disguised as a jpeg that loads a different avatar whenever the page is refreshed" avatar.

Oh wow, that would be wicked.

57 minutes ago, macskull said:

If I'm understanding you right (and I think I am) you're saying there is really no difference between those two because:

Yeah you get the gist.

To clarify, I was paraphrasing what others were already writing when I wrote that 'As some have stated in this thread "time is money" or "should be compensated for my time".'

Example sources: "Time is money." -Vea, "compensated for their time" -Crysis, "I think time is money" -THEDarkTyger, "People with the inf are getting what they paid for." -ZacKing

Some could say, if folks are asking to be compensated for their time, they are treating their time playing like a job.. semantics

I appreciate the back and forth. I do hear what you're saying. I'm just on the other side of the fence on this one.

Sidenote: On the topic of time as real world currency. Checkout the 2011 movie 'In Time' with Justin Timberlake & Amanda Seyfried. 

Edited by Troo

14 minutes ago, Troo said:

To clarify, I was paraphrasing what others were already writing when I wrote that 'As some have stated in this thread "time is money" or "should be compensated for my time".'

You are missing a very glaringly obvious part of the game - in game commerce.  This is a staple of many MMOs.  Following this logic, anyone crafting IOs and selling them on the exchange for profit should be banned too because they are asking for compensation for something they spent their time and earned resources on. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

You are missing a very glaringly obvious part of the game

Do you ever add anything valuable to a discussion or just troll and try to argue with folks?

• Haha 1