Charging for Powerlevelling to level 50

Queen Nefertiti

13 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

My perspective? anyone charging for this should be warned, suspended then banned. May be an unpopular perspective, but i also feel that AE should also have inf/exp cut to never exceed what normal missions award, in most cases less.

I think the AE should be left as is. That ship sailed long ago, and I don't think there should be ANY of our volunteer dev time spent on it ever again. They have better things to do.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

In my opinion, posting an opinion on something looking for other opinions to validate your opinion is a passive-aggressive call to arms.

I did not call out the OP anyway, TBH, my comment was really directed at the people that think it's OK to get bent out of shape over the crime against humanity it seems to be to not 'know how to play your character the way I like' when they have been power leveled.

There are plenty of people that think because I want to talk about motives and reasons that somehow I am being dramatical or extreme.

So what?

These kinds of topics, obviously trying to somehow make a certain set of players 'bad' because of passive aggressive 'opinions', all just sound like children screaming at each other on an elementary school playground to me anyway, I do enjoy watching them get worked up, schadenfreude is real.

I understand the english language just fine, thanks.

I understand from the very posts they have made, multiple posters in this thread are judgemental jerks.

I understand from playing this game in this community that some people feel they have to control every single pixel on the screen during their playtime or 'someone in doing it wrong', regardless of if they call out playing in the game at that time - they will just do it here on the forums to justify their outlook.

My opinion is that if these types of things bother you, then you are the problem.

Hope that clears things up!

Happy New Year!

Well said.

49 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

My perspective? anyone charging for this should be warned, suspended then banned. May be an unpopular perspective, but i also feel that AE should also have inf/exp cut to never exceed what normal missions award, in most cases less.

That's just stupid.

• Like 2

Personally, if someone's PLing someone else 1-50, they're going to make INF enough during that process that (to me) they *are* being paid.

Trading PLs? Sure. No problem.

Pay for it? Men. No thanks.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

3 hours ago, SwitchFade said:

My perspective? anyone charging for this should be warned, suspended then banned.

For INF? Nah. Now, if they were asking for actual money...

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Much though I don't think highly of power levelling, I don't believe charging for it is a slippery slope to real monetary transactions. That distinction, I'd like to think, is clear enough.

I also appreciate that charging for powerlevelling at a fairly high price is actually a deterrent for PLing as a noob trap. I think it would be exactly what prevents level 50s who don't know what they're doing.

My only real reservation here is the opportunity for scammers. But I just encourage folks to be careful with their inf, record their transactions with screenshots and try to find farmers with good repute.

I always was and remain adverse to PL'ing for the sole reason of the absolute enjoyment I got the first time I played the game by playing the content, back when it was a challenge. I would hate to PL another player and have them miss out on that. 3 months to get from 1 to level 50 and it was worth every dying moment in my solo journey. CoH is better in teams though! (just sayin..)

One of the great comedic moments I've seen is a level 50 player asking for directions to The Hollows.

If a player wants to experience a maxed out character for no effort then use the BETA server for a few minutes. It's a good place to test out your concept characters and radical builds.

On the other hand, if a player has already played through the content on many classes they may not want to face another 'Hmm, week or so..' to play through content again to reach a level where they are contributing to a team in a meaningful way.

This rendition of our game gives many ways to reach the top and none of them are taxing, if you enjoy the game as a game, what with the all the methods of extra XP/INF/price caps etc. And the main thing is it gives the player the choice. The thing I find of value over putting 'zero effort' in as a new player are the relationships you will inevitably build in this game as you journey through it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TIP for Homecoming:-

TM an "I WIN" button for $10

Edited by Water

Would I charge for PL? No.

Would I accept Inf for PL? Yes.

Would I seek to trade PL 4 PL? No.

Would I seek for people to join my farm? No.

Would I pay for PL? Probably not - It would require account sharing if I wanted to.

Time is money. Having extra people in my farm increases the time it takes to get to 50 and reduces the INF I get. So not worth having the extra people in.

I would say it's a transaction not worthwhile.

Now, paying someone to buy enhancements and slot a toon for me... that's a service I'd pay for.

@Vea/@Vae/@Vew - You can call me V.

Takes me 2 hours to PL a new alt  to 50. My farmer is on my 2nd account. The amount of rocket surgery knowledge it takes to build and run a farmer? 0, nada, zilch.

The amount of work it takes to create a 2nd acct? 2-3 mins?

As @Vea just stated, other people do nothing but slow me down. This was as true when I was farming 666 vet lvls in DA as it is for getting a new alt to 50.

If other people would rather dump inf to let someone else do the "work" involved and there are people happy to take said inf for their "work" then all power to 'em.

As for real money issues, ban those farkers for life. And for those that would pay real money? They're obviously stupid enough that life will deal with them appropriately and probably soon.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Takes me

yes yes, but you are a demon.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

hmmm, what about simply removing the AE building from initial zones.. maybe not.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

10 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

That's just stupid.

I agree it is stupid. 

Yeah everyone knows all the "purists" out there never bought an XP booster, never joined a higher level team. ran a DFB or got sidekicked by higher level people. 

Getting rid of the AE or gutting the rewards into uselessness is just plain stupid.  It's all about the "gospel of envy" Churchill was talking about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

The more I think about it, the only reasons that I see for power leveling are PvP or because the regular content is too hard.

Weird. The main reasons I've seen are "character slow/frustrating at low levels" or "want to get a feel for the character which you don't really have until you're higher level". A lot of builds don't really work until the 20s.

50 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

The more I think about it, the only reasons that I see for power leveling are PvP or because the regular content is too hard.

Or it is a veteran who really has no interest in running the same story content again for the umpteenth time. 

4 minutes ago, seebs said:

Weird. The main reasons I've seen are "character slow/frustrating at low levels" or "want to get a feel for the character which you don't really have until you're higher level". A lot of builds don't really work until the 20s.

^ This too.  It is a quick way to find out if the character will be worth sticking with.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, seebs said:

This.  Whenever I get an oddball character concept in my head that I suspect will be a slog from levels 1 to 22-27, I logon to my second account's spines/fire brute and drag him through Comic Con once or twice to get over that hump and slot level 25 or 30 common IOs.  That usually takes about 15-30 minutes.  (Hell, I spend more time than that in the character creator, so a max of 30 minutes farming is no sweat.)

Then, I play the oddball character from 22+ until it's no longer fun or 50, whichever comes first.  I usually figure it out by playing the char up to levels 32-38.  I've never PL'ed an alt all the way up to 50, because then I'd have no idea how to play it properly at 50.  This is also one of the reasons I don't usually play much on Pineapple, except to try out new builds on already established characters.  (BTW: thanks so much for setting up the account sync so I can clone existing chars to beta now!)

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Like 2

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

18 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Right.  Too hard.

Nothing about this game is "hard." I now find the pre-32 game simply "boring" unless I'm hanging out with some themed superteam from 1 on up. And I don't do that very often.

But after playing the "right" way for 8 years, I see no reason to torture myself again with low game tedium when it takes 30 minutes to PL an alt to 32.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

Or it is a veteran who really has no interest in running the same story content again for the umpteenth time. 

^ This too.  It is a quick way to find out if the character will be worth sticking with.

I'm being simplistic, but this is just another case of "it's too much effort".  That's fine.  No one said you have to play every alt at +4/x8 from Outbreak (although that IS a challenge).

Who run Bartertown?

39 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Right.  Too hard.

That's not the same thing as "too hard". I was soloing stuff on an ill/something. I had confuse. Solo, so no bosses. I could not lose. The upper bound on enemies attacking me was that a single enemy could attack me for the recharge time of confuse -- if I missed, I could just do nothing until it came up, and then streakbreaker would force a hit. So, guaranteed win. That can't possibly be "too hard". But it is not particularly exciting.

Edited by seebs