When are we actually going to see a large patch with new content?

eldriyth

The homecoming team seem to be trying to run these servers in as professional a way as possible. That is going to mean careful changes and as much testing as possible. As many have mentioned they are also working under the hood to improve the game for the future. The pace of change may pick up when they have these foundations in place, and particularly if they are able to break cover and go legit.

In the meantime there are other servers available which are being run in a different way. I know who I trust but others may of course feel differently.

• City Council

Probably worth me re-posting the response from the last time this was raised 🙂

On 11/4/2019 at 3:57 PM, Jimmy said:

There's a few reasons for the apparent slowness. Some others have touched on the reasons but I'll provide a bit more detail.

1. We've been focusing a lot on underlying technology before content. There's been massive behind-the-scenes changes whilst we get ready to start working on new stuff - the 64-bit client is the most obvious public-facing example.
  2. Attention is taken up by things not directly related to development. Yes, the talks are one of those things, but we're also having to manage, maintain and moderate a far larger and more complex infrastructure. These things, and others, take up time and energy.
  3. The team contains several professional game developers and software developers and as such our quality bar is very high, and we're matching the quality existing content as closely as we can. There's plenty of new stuff in the pipeline, we just want to put more time into it before we're happy to push it out for wider testing.
  4. The team is still small. We absolutely will be recruiting people and growing the team in the future (we've had many, many, many people express interest), but it's not quite time for that just yet. We're focusing on tools and infrastructure first.

Hope that all makes sense.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

3 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I'm just happy knowing I get to log in when I get home at the end of the day. I even donated for the first time this last month an amount that I feel is fair for a year's worth of access. I do not in any way think that this entitles me to anything beyond the ability to log in. Hell, even if everything got shut down tomorrow I'd consider it fair for the time I've played to date.

Everything else that happens is gravy and I'm thankful for it. Sure, I'll throw in a few "hey wouldn't it be nice if" requests to the suggestions forum but I have zero expectations such things will come to pass.

I just wish there were more people who got your last paragraph!

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

Homecoming is a small private group who brought back this game for the love of it.

You play for free on the best of the reborn CoH servers.

They ask for donations to cover their operating costs and make no profit from this.

They are working with NcSoft to try to become fully "legitimate", and we should be grateful that NcSoft is letting this happen.

We, the CoH lovers, are eternally grateful for this. We should not be "looking the gift horse in the mouth" and bugging them for more content.

Appreciate what we have.

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Probably worth me re-posting the response from the last time this was raised 🙂

Haven't read this before because I'm usually playing and having fun. For me personally I'm awestruck that professionals would donate their time to keep this running. It's not like sure, I'll put in a weekend(for free) to help out. This is ongoing for months and as a player something I hope runs for years. That is a LOT to give when you already have a full-time job, not getting paid and that is time you could have otherwise charged someone else. All I have to offer is a small thank you and donation when I make the window. City of Heroes is back in rotation of my game-playing and that is absolutely wonderful!

On 1/12/2020 at 10:13 PM, eldriyth said:

It's been months since there was a "wish list" added to the patch notes section of what people want to see added. There was also a post about some amazing stuff coming including Mastermind Changes. When are we actually going to see this stuff? What is taking so long? There are other servers that have some crazy customization and they haven't been around as long as homecoming.

When someone comes up with enough money to buy NCSoft and hire a full dev team. How's your pocketbook looking?

Edited by VV
  • Haha 3

On 1/14/2020 at 12:11 AM, VV said:

How's your pocketbook looking?

Hey, the moths have been gone for at *least* a week.

• Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

So, while I concure with the general sentiment in this thread, and totally understand and agree with the plan Jimmy has laid out, well...

*looks at server stats page during peak hours*

When HC launched, there were queues to play. The servers were always at 3 red dots. The total number of players was in the mid to ten thousands. But now? The total player population seems to have gotten Thanos'd. This can be attributed to lack of interest, which stems from lack of new content. If we lose many more players, then we're gonna end up with server consolidation on the table (and all the drama that comes with it) because why in the heck would we be paying for five servers when everyone could comfortably play on one or two? This will come into play especially if the few hundred people left can't fork over 5k a month.

We need to grow to survive, so hopefully we see something soon!

/doooooom!

That happens to every game after launch or expansion release. I'm not surprised to see it here either. I'll withhold my doomsaying for the time being.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

26 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

That happens to every game after launch or expansion release. I'm not surprised to see it here either. I'll withhold my doomsaying for the time being.

There is also the fact that their "still in flux" legal status prevents them from actively advertising the existence of the game, which would not only attract back former players who are still unaware that it's back, but also potential new players who tried the other super-hero games, and found them...wanting.  Until they are able to shout out to the world that they are here, the influx of new players is not able to offset those that don't play as frequently, or decided to take a break, or leave altogether. 

What was no more, is REBORN!

A discussion came up on the Titan Network Forums a year or so ago. If we could have City of Heroes back, even if it was Issue 1, before all the added zones, before City of Villains, before Going Rogue, before Incarnates, before Wentworths and Crafting, before Capes even ( lol ) would you still want it back? The answer was pretty unanimously YES. So the new things we have here are light years beyond what we were willing to settle for and there is a trickle of new shiny thrown in to boot. I'm just happy with what's right in front of me and keeping it is more important to me than tricking it out with newness.

• Like 2

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

4 hours ago, EmperorSteele said:

So, while I concure with the general sentiment in this thread, and totally understand and agree with the plan Jimmy has laid out, well...

*looks at server stats page during peak hours*

When HC launched, there were queues to play. The servers were always at 3 red dots. The total number of players was in the mid to ten thousands. But now? The total player population seems to have gotten Thanos'd. This can be attributed to lack of interest, which stems from lack of new content. If we lose many more players, then we're gonna end up with server consolidation on the table (and all the drama that comes with it) because why in the heck would we be paying for five servers when everyone could comfortably play on one or two? This will come into play especially if the few hundred people left can't fork over 5k a month.

We need to grow to survive, so hopefully we see something soon!

/doooooom!

Now that everyone's nostalgia craving has been sated, and the looky-loos have looked and loo'ed, and the novelty hunters have hunted all the novelty to extinction, all that's left is us die-hard fans.  It happens with every MMO after launch, and after each expansion.  This is acclimatization, and it's just human nature.

Even I've toddled off to try a few different games recently, after being non-stop CoH for 6 straight months since April.  CoH is my home, but even I like to go out to eat every now and then, when I'm tired of eating leftovers.

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Like 5

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Honestly, I have a family and a full time job. I’ve been back since October and I have ONE level 50 who’s done CoV content as a rogue through about 35 when I picked up my patron pool (and the contacts/missions started getting much darker than I’d prefer for a lovable Rogue).

I’ve got a 35 Praetorian (who only did Warden missions) who won’t be going through the portal until they finish Night Ward and a 43 hero I’ve been running the issue 0 (and now issue 1) arcs on.

I haven’t even scratched the surface of the old content I haven’t played in seven years, much less the newer content.

I don’t see myself getting tired of the content here for a LONG time.

• Like 2