Patch Notes for January 28th, 2020

The Curator

6 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

I decided to re-run at +0x8 to see if the mobs behaved any differently.  It seems like I saw 1 or 2 more runners per group, but that may be RNG from a relatively small sample size.  Aside from that, the new behavior is the same: most stay, a few run and come back, and still fewer run and return to spawn point (if I've moved away from the spawn point).

You’re likely seeing less runners because of faster minion clearing at base level. Also, using Taunt helps curb that fleeing behavior.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

Just now, Kelgan said:

Thank you all for the speed with which you've addressed these problems.

In a future patch, could we have a Tunnel connection to Pocket D?

Probably easier to just remain camped at Pocket D long enough to get the Pocket D transporter.  Much handier than a tunnel that you must find on a map. 😎

• Like 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

2 minutes ago, Abraxus said:

Probably easier to just remain camped at Pocket D long enough to get the Pocket D transporter.  Much handier than a tunnel that you must find on a map. 😎

Oh, it's not to get into Pocket D.  It's to get out.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Griffyn said:

There’s no way that I could perform any tanking activities on a team like this. And before someone points out that Brutes aren’t Tankers, Brutes were the tanking analog for CoV so they should be able to perform those activities albeit in a different manner

Actually, I just did perform tanking activities on my Rad/Fire Brute in a Yin TF with access to Blazing Aura, Burn and Irradiated Ground.  It’s not even close to being as bad in a team environment as it seems to be for the Farmers. I can’t stress enough that Taunt makes the difference.

• Like 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

4 hours ago, Captain Powerhouse said:

I have a fix for this now, but for the time being:

Next time you face this, try de-toggling Blazing Aura and give it 12 seconds (exactly, or more) and reactivate it. The proc gets granted every time you zone, within 10 seconds of zoning. If Blazing Aura is running already, the proc wont trigger until its deactivated and re-activated. There is also an additional issue with timing even if it applies, so that might not fix the issue, but might alleviate it.

Ideally: zone into missions with Blazing Aura turned off for now.

Edit: BTW, *this* issue is different from the last one, and also affects Tankers.

I tried this and it does seem to work.

51 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

Actually, I just did perform tanking activities on my Rad/Fire Brute in a Yin TF with access to Blazing Aura, Burn and Irradiated Ground.  It’s not even close to being as bad in a team environment as it seems to be for the Farmers. I can’t stress enough that Taunt makes the difference.

Given that I don’t have Taunt *and* I was running missions with a team, the only difference is that you have Taunt which can help alleviate the bug.  Of course others have reported that Taunt does not always work to override the mob behavior. So, YMMV.

4 hours ago, Captain Powerhouse said:

I have a fix for this now, but for the time being:

Next time you face this, try de-toggling Blazing Aura and give it 12 seconds (exactly, or more) and reactivate it. The proc gets granted every time you zone, within 10 seconds of zoning. If Blazing Aura is running already, the proc wont trigger until its deactivated and re-activated. There is also an additional issue with timing even if it applies, so that might not fix the issue, but might alleviate it.

Ideally: zone into missions with Blazing Aura turned off for now.

Edit: BTW, *this* issue is different from the last one, and also affects Tankers.

This seemed to help at first and then stopped working. Turning off the auras in the mission and waiting 20+ secs did not seem to reapply the proc.

1 hour ago, Griffyn said:

This seemed to help at first and then stopped working. Turning off the auras in the mission and waiting 20+ secs did not seem to reapply the proc.

His instructions said you have to detoggle Blazing Aura before you zone, then zone, then wait 12 seconds or longer to re-toggle it.  Apparently proc is applied after zone event.  If you are turning off while already inside mission you aren’t following CP’s workaround.

• Like 1

I've noticed similar fleeing behavior from enemy targets of the Sorcery Pool's Enflame power, which is really unfortunate for my blaster, as the targeted enemy proceeds to run into new mobs and aggro the entire world.

edit: In fairness, this is what I would expect someone caught on magical fire to do in real life.

Edited by TheMightyC
Addendum
  • Haha 3

Test results

50 fire/kin controller

T3 cardiac

T3 reactive

No procs in hotfeet

Warrior farm +4/8

Hot feet AoE: I can see them trying to run, but they're under huge slow penalty. I stood in melee and spammed heal, usually they all try and clobber me. Most tried to run, and would then try and range attack. And run again.

Next up, sentinel.

Edited by SwitchFade

• Developer
1 hour ago, Crysis said:

His instructions said you have to detoggle Blazing Aura before you zone, then zone, then wait 12 seconds or longer to re-toggle it.  Apparently proc is applied after zone event.  If you are turning off while already inside mission you aren’t following CP’s workaround.

Griffins approach should also help (it’s just less convenient than zoning wirh the power toggled off,) but there is also, i think, a timing issue on top of the application bug, and that can be more random and non-controllable. Both things should be fixed in the next patch, that is already in the queue.

Edited by Captain Powerhouse
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

image.thumb.png.07fe64b26308cd3c157b58cc695449de.png

50 water/SR sentinel

T3 alpha musculature

T3 reactive

+4/8 council map

Annihilation proc in whirlpool

Whirlpool alone: 1 runner, normal.

Whirlpool+steam spray: they scatter

Whirlpool+geyser: they run for the hills

Geyser alone: no runners

Steam spray alone: no runners

Whirlpool with steam or geyser: they scatter

Up next, invuln/ss tank

50 invuln/SS tank

T4 cardiac

T4 reactive

T4 assault

Armageddon proc in foot stomp

All pi farm maps from contacts

Warrior

Council

Demon

Spamming foot stomp, no runners. Stuck like glue. Of course, no DoT. 

Taunt does not cause warriors to close to melee

Taunt does not cause council to close to melee

Demons always close to melee.

Next up, scrap.

50 elec/elec sentinel

T1 alpha

No procs

Street sweeping in PI

Various foes all lvl 59 (Malta, Cot, rikti, carnies)

Spamming ball ligtning and short circuit: no runners

Thunderous blast+ any DoT: half the groups scatter, rikti run for the hills

Running foes seem to run really far now. Maybe just perception bias

50 katana/SR scrap

T4 alpha

T3 reactive

T3 hybrid

No procs in AoE

PI street sweeping on 50's

Spammed AoE and cone

No runners

That's all I have time for.  It seems that when DoT hits a certain point, they all run and much more than before. I'll test the same scrap in door missions tomorrow and AoE from other controllers and a scrap.

Edited by SwitchFade

4 hours ago, Crysis said:

I followed the instructions to the letter. As I said, it seemed to work at first. Then it stopped working after a small number of spawns. So I tried recycling the auras in the mission to see if I could get the proc applied again. That failed.

So to reiterate, I followed the instructions as given and when that failed, I tried something additional to see if it would work.

• Like 2

As far as I can tell it's any aura or DoT patch and who knows what else. Maybe any DoTs as it's pretty constant. Sometimes they seem to run off just for the hell of it. Happens even when taunted by punchvokes or tank attacks or actual taunt. Kinda amounts to a nerf for some things like my poison fendur, for example, who's suddenly having to watch his health bar. But it's pretty annoying to almost everything. It's like the whole game suddenly turned into apex.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, siolfir said:

They just accidentally gave all the mobs the warwolf AI - they always scattered to the four winds, DoT or not.

THAT'S what it reminds me of: Warwolves!  Thanks for making the connection I couldn't.  It's precisely like that.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Anybody done Morty since this? Turns out Posi has teleport. I never knew this before, even having done plenty of Morty runs with no taunty types on the team. Now he's tp'ing corner to corner like crazy. Feels kinda like a NES boss battle. Kinda fun for a minute but gets old.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

I don't know if this is Working As Intended or not, but it's definitely different from either the pre-patch and post-bad-patch/pre-fix behavior.  I actually kind of like it, as it's a bit more challenging.  I always thought it was dumb of them to just stand in the fire forever.  But I didn't like it when all of them ran away, either.  Now a few run away while most stay.  This will take some adjustment on my part.

I actually like it also.  It’s pretty dumb for mobs to just stand there and burn to death.  Not only is it better AI but it gives life and purpose to some struggling archetypes and systems.  

The game has become all damage all the time!   This actually gives slows some value and controllers value.  I feel like controllers struggle in the IO world because their controls and low damage are more or less pointless.  It’s not making your tanks and brutes less powerful.  It’s just adding value to lesser archetypes.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Guardian survivor