Patch Notes for January 28th, 2020

The Curator

2 hours ago, siolfir said:

They just accidentally gave all the mobs the warwolf AI - they always scattered to the four winds, DoT or not.

They also seem to be INCREDIBLY hard to pin down with an immobilize. I don't think they are all that much harder to get a hold on, but immob seems to take a couple stacks on them.

31 minutes ago, Display Name said:

I would love to be a fly on the wall at the dev meetings!  I bet they have some really fascinating discussions!

Game design is...  fun.  And frustrating.  And very fascinating.  It's one of the reasons I love Nomic - where developing the game is the entire point of the game.

• Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

4 hours ago, Mr.Sinister said:

I actually like it also.  It’s pretty dumb for mobs to just stand there and burn to death.  Not only is it better AI but it gives life and purpose to some struggling archetypes and systems.  

The game has become all damage all the time!   This actually gives slows some value and controllers value.  I feel like controllers struggle in the IO world because their controls and low damage are more or less pointless.  It’s not making your tanks and brutes less powerful.  It’s just adding value to lesser archetypes.  

Because chasing down runners has always been my favorite part of the game. /s

• Haha 1

On 1/28/2020 at 9:06 AM, Twintania said:

Wait, really? That would have been funny to keep. I get why it was removed, but the idea of an ally buff that kd's them is funny.

I don't remember where I saw it -- some movie from decades ago probably -- but the description of the bug dug up a memory of a man smacking the palm of his hand against another man's forehead crying "HEAL!" and knocking him on his ass.

34 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

I don't remember where I saw it -- some movie from decades ago probably -- but the description of the bug dug up a memory of a man smacking the palm of his hand against another man's forehead crying "HEAL!" and knocking him on his ass.

I'm guessing "Fletch Lives" when Fletch is impersonating an evangelist.  🙂

40 minutes ago, StPatty33 said:

Because chasing down runners has always been my favorite part of the game. /s

It’s about adding value and variety to the game and archetypes.  If you want to burn down the game then roll an ice/fire like people used to when the AI wasn’t as dumb.  Currently ice slick is one of the most skippable powers in ice melee.  Which is lame.  All of the variety and uniqueness of sets has just gone to trash with more damage and dumber AI.

Taunt shouldn’t keep things from running in terror.  Or are tanks secretly the best mind controllers in the game?   Tanks redirect fire they don’t control fire.  If you want to control fire, I don’t know, maybe bring a controller or dominator?   

Again, value and variety should be our focus for a healthy game.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Guardian survivor

On 1/28/2020 at 2:26 PM, SwitchFade said:

Happened to me 4 months ago once.

To fix,

I went into base, opened editor and moved the portal near the wall in the entry way. Then I exited editor, logged out and back and went in to the base and because I had moved the portal, I was no longer stuck. I then opened editor and moved it back, cuz I like where it was, and have had no issues since.

Tried this and it worked...temporarily. Within a few minutes the issue started up again. This is something new.

On 1/28/2020 at 1:07 PM, Rathulfr said:

They're not nerfs: they're adjustments to the buffs they just got.  They're still net buffs, not nerfs.

Well, that's not true. My brutes are having troubles pulling mobs now. And this is something that has NEVER been an issue before. Taunt has been massively nerfed.

1 hour ago, PeterDutcherJr said:

Well, that's not true. My brutes are having troubles pulling mobs now. And this is something that has NEVER been an issue before. Taunt has been massively nerfed.

I think what Rathulfr meant is that they're supposed to be net buffs. Nerf implies intention, while this is some buggy weirdness causing problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

I've definitely experienced some annoyance wrt the DoT causing mobs to flee on a Dominator:

Hot Feet causes more fleeing than in the past. I can reconcile the behavior even if I don't like it.

Epic World of Confusion however: the mobs flee (presumably because of the Psi DoT) even if they are confused. The unacceptable behavior is that after they have run, the confusion has worn off. There is essentially no benefit to the toggle except to have a limited number of mobs not attack.

Edit: the WoC effect happens without Hot Feet toggled on.

Edited by tidge
clarification

21 hours ago, Mr.Sinister said:

It’s about adding value and variety to the game and archetypes.  If you want to burn down the game then roll an ice/fire like people used to when the AI wasn’t as dumb.  Currently ice slick is one of the most skippable powers in ice melee.  Which is lame.  All of the variety and uniqueness of sets has just gone to trash with more damage and dumber AI.

Taunt shouldn’t keep things from running in terror.  Or are tanks secretly the best mind controllers in the game?   Tanks redirect fire they don’t control fire.  If you want to control fire, I don’t know, maybe bring a controller or dominator?   

Again, value and variety should be our focus for a healthy game.  

Except you shouldn’t have to reroll a character or team to do things you didnt need to do before. This should go to that thing called the difficulty menu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Noyjitat said:

Except you shouldn’t have to reroll a character or team to do things you didnt need to do before. This should go to that thing called the difficulty menu.

You’re not unable to do the things you could do before.  Your toon didn’t lose any of its power.  It just takes slightly longer to do what you were doing.  You don’t have to reroll.  It’s akin to when they created the collision mechanics for the mobs.  You could stack all of the enemies on top of each other and just blow them up in seconds.  

Making the AI better doesn’t diminish you and what you’re capable of.  There are so many ways to deal with the flee.  Break line of sight, use knockdown, take an epic aoe immob, take quicksand.  You are far from needing a reroll.  

• Like 1

Guardian survivor

7 minutes ago, Mr.Sinister said:

Making the AI better doesn’t diminish you and what you’re capable of.  There are so many ways to deal with the flee.  Break line of sight, use knockdown, take an epic aoe immob, take quicksand.  You are far from needing a reroll.  

Remember this is a temporary bug, not an AI change. I agree there's no need to reroll but there's no need to respec either. Have faith that it'll get worked out soon. Look how quick the first bug fix patch came.

• Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Mr.Sinister said:

You’re not unable to do the things you could do before.  Your toon didn’t lose any of its power.  It just takes slightly longer to do what you were doing.  You don’t have to reroll.  It’s akin to when they created the collision mechanics for the mobs.  You could stack all of the enemies on top of each other and just blow them up in seconds.  

Diversity and fun is great. Currently, the MOBs fleeing is very excessive. There wasn't much of a problem before the inadvertant fleeing bugs.

Now, a conversation where we move to a place with improved AI is welcome, but the current state is not that destination.

15 minutes ago, Mr.Sinister said:

Yes if im having to make more effort to kill things because of nerfs or bugs you have diminished the effectiveness of my character and wtf is the point of having burn if the targets run away? It isnt caltrops its burn and thats a very high loss of whats intended to do dps. 

Also mobs are trash, they are supposed to die and be nothing but a speed bump. Its the avs, gms and monsters that are supposed to be the challenge. Its been mostly backwards until the time of new powers, incarnates and ios.

theres nothing super about batman struggling to fight the jokers goons only to  drop the joker himself in seconds.

2 hours ago, Noyjitat said:

Yes if im having to make more effort to kill things because of nerfs or bugs you have diminished the effectiveness of my character and wtf is the point of having burn if the targets run away? It isnt caltrops its burn and thats a very high loss of whats intended to do dps. 

Also mobs are trash, they are supposed to die and be nothing but a speed bump. Its the avs, gms and monsters that are supposed to be the challenge. Its been mostly backwards until the time of new powers, incarnates and ios.

theres nothing super about batman struggling to fight the jokers goons only to  drop the joker himself in seconds.

I know that this is a bug and will be fixed quickly.  What I am saying is I am actually fine with their behavior.  Fix the bug and update AI in an intended manner.  

The mobs are no more difficult, they just don’t ball up and die.  Ever fight cabal or praetorian clocks?   

Also I am more likely to run in terror from a burning patch on the ground that just killed 15 of my buddies than I am some little tacks  on the ground.  You’re also not struggling to wipe out the jokers goons.  The goons are also more likely to run from Batman than Joker so it’s actually quite super.  You’re also not dropping that AV solo in seconds unless you’re using lore pets... which isn’t solo.  Burn was also made more front loaded with its damage so even if they run you’re hitting them with solid damage.  Overreactions are just that.  

All groups don’t need to behave like cabal or be immune to things like warwolves, but if they flee in terror when under extreme duress, that seems pretty reasonable to me.  Fight or flight seems quite natural.  

Guardian survivor

Fact is cabal and wolves have always been that way and I know what to expect when i goto croatoa which is my favorite zone. We aren't going to agree on this however and I'd rather  keep the minions dumb red shirts like they've always been and make the master mind villains the only ones smart enough to move. 

3 hours ago, StPatty33 said:

"Playable" is an opinion, not a fact. What's playable to one person man not be playable to another. I even specifically said "for my characters", acknowledging that playability is a personal experience. 

Thank goodness another attempt at a fix is on the Pineapple server!  You sound like someone whose feedback on the fixes would be invaluable in making sure that it does what it's intended to do.  If the bug has made your characters on "live" unplayble, copy one over to Pineapple, and see if the fix over there cures that situation.  The more testing they get, the higher the likelihood that it will REALLY be fixed the next time they update "live'. 😎

Edited by Abraxus
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What was no more, is REBORN!