Please, please a better Minimal FX for Ice Epic Pool Armor

Nferno

Well the subject says it. lol

Just would love the minimal FX to be even more minimal on Frozen Armor. Like invisible. 🙂

have tried adjusting colors but then just looks fuzzy. 

Edited by Nferno
  • Like 2

I really feel like all armors should have a no FX option. If that’s not possible, maybe a null color choice, making the armor simply transparent. I can see having power up colorations but there’s reasons we often spend hours in the costume creator. 😂

And let’s face it, when teaming we could all use a few less auras. lol

• Like 1

Let's just say every persistant power needs an option to just turn off all effects.

And every power (including attacks) should have way to turn on/off it's "dark effects." 

Speaking of which, the Costume Auras are really lacking in "Dark Effects" that match the power sets.

Oh, and please start with BIO Offensive aura.  I hate that thing.  I tried really hard to create a costume and concept to match it and nothing has met my satisfaction.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Try this:
/SuppressCloseFx 1
Then:
/SuppressCloseFxDist 35
The number afterwards can be increased and decreased to your prefered scroll out.
This will remove the armor entirely when you are at a certain distance.

Edited by Vulpoid

Some of the armour sets are quite obnoxious at covering your costume. I would be lying if I said I didn’t factor this in when choosing power sets. Certainly puts me off ice and Earth APPs...!

• Like 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

3 minutes ago, Vanden said:

Call me old-fashioned, but I feel like if you take powers that are supposed to cover you in ice they should look like they cover you in ice.

It is, after all, the thing that defends you from harm. If you don't want ice powers then don't take ice powers.

Not playing a particular power set because of how it looks has been a staple since the game launched. Anyone who partakes in it is part of a proud tradition.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vanden said:

Call me old-fashioned, but I feel like if you take powers that are supposed to cover you in ice they should look like they cover you in ice.

Don’t have a problem with that of course but some of the graphics are pretty obnoxious! Something more subtle would be nice. 

• Like 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

19 hours ago, Vanden said:

Nothing ever says how much ice.  If I define my character as armored in a eighth inch thick super hard magical armor of ice, that still fits your description but doesn't fit the clunky graphics at all.  But honestly, if someone wants to take ice armor and define the armor as an invisible super cooled aura that slows attacks to the point where they don't do damage, or a subcutaneous layer of glacial protection, they should be able to do it and have the visual options to back that up.  Regardless of "supposed to cover you in ice".

• Like 1

I posted this 8 posts above, but ... You can remove the effects of armors you don't like just by using the /SuppressCloseFx 1 command and setting a distance not to see them.
I have it set so outside panned out I see them, in buildings I do not. Try it!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vulpoid said:

I posted this 8 posts above, but ... You can remove the effects of armors you don't like just by using the /SuppressCloseFx 1 command and setting a distance not to see them.
I have it set so outside panned out I see them, in buildings I do not. Try it!

This is great advice, it works well, if only on your client.  I've been using it forever on my Ice Tanker.  You can also switch the SuppressCloseFX on and off in Options - Video.  You'd still need to set the Distance though the first time you try it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hexquisite said:

This one! Bio armor is so ugly. I like that I can turn most of it off, but there are still a few powers where that ugly carapace won't go away.

I embraced it. My crime fighting sea urchin looks wrong without his Bio armour switched on and trundling around with Beast Run. 

Havent even bothered with a travel power because none really fit (I did cheat and buy a longbow small jetpack when he hit 50 over the weekend though). Just to make him Shadow Shard compatible.

But my Blaster really wants her Ice Armour to look less crap, even in MinFx mode.

• Like 1

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that I don't think some armor powers should have a Min-FX option.

I will say that some powers are definitely in need of a graphical tune-up, but thematically, if you pick Stone armor, and your character just looks like a regular spandex-wearing hero with no added effects, it just wouldn't make any sense, would it?

"Why are you moving so slow, Rad Rockster?"
"Oh, I have Granite Armor toggled on, you can't see it though."

I know I'm the odd one out here, and I know the rebuttal is "but it's OPTIONAL, GastlyGibus! You don't HAVE to turn it off if you don't want to!" I get that, but even still, I just feel like if you're going to roll a set like Stone Armor, and your costume idea somehow doesn't include your character being covered in actual rocky formations, well, why are you rolling Stone armor then? Likewise, if I'm rolling Fiery Aura, and my concept doesn't involve me being engulfed in flames, what's the point?

I'm not trying to be mean here, just throwing in my two cents. I get that it's silly to expect realism in a game with super-powered flying people in spandex, among other things, but having a Stone Armor character, or an Ice Armor character, or Fiery Aura, or any kind of powerset with active effects, and then taking away those special effects, seems kind of strange and immersion breaking to me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

29 minutes ago, GastlyGibus said:

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that I don't think some armor powers should have a Min-FX option.

I will say that some powers are definitely in need of a graphical tune-up, but thematically, if you pick Stone armor, and your character just looks like a regular spandex-wearing hero with no added effects, it just wouldn't make any sense, would it?

"Why are you moving so slow, Rad Rockster?"
"Oh, I have Granite Armor toggled on, you can't see it though."

I know I'm the odd one out here, and I know the rebuttal is "but it's OPTIONAL, GastlyGibus! You don't HAVE to turn it off if you don't want to!" I get that, but even still, I just feel like if you're going to roll a set like Stone Armor, and your costume idea somehow doesn't include your character being covered in actual rocky formations, well, why are you rolling Stone armor then? Likewise, if I'm rolling Fiery Aura, and my concept doesn't involve me being engulfed in flames, what's the point?

I'm not trying to be mean here, just throwing in my two cents. I get that it's silly to expect realism in a game with super-powered flying people in spandex, among other things, but having a Stone Armor character, or an Ice Armor character, or Fiery Aura, or any kind of powerset with active effects, and then taking away those special effects, seems kind of strange and immersion breaking to me.

I agree with a lot of this. I think I'd prefer to have a greater range of fx options than to have no fx at all for non natural armor sets.

Another idea I mentioned in another thread would be to have a saturation slider alongside the existing colour options. It would be great to be able to tone down certain fx without removing them completely.

They did make a minimal FX option for ice armour, after all, so at least someone was sufficiently on board with having different styles of armour. I'm pretty sure it isn't a HC special, anyway.

You don't need to take stone armour in order to have a tough, stone-themed character anyway. You can just pick invulnerability or willpower and use the costume creature to add some stone flair to, well, your costume. You can take shield defence and super strength without being less stony for it, just pick the stone shield option. Use the stone skin for both the armoured top and a pair of hefty gloves, and you've got yourself a character that makes a stone suit for defence.

• Like 1

We seem to be drifting off course here.....this is not about primary or secondary power choices for various ATs. This about Epic and Patron Pool powers.   This is about a controller(for example) having Ice or Rock Armour because it is the best fit for there build. And having the option to minimalFX these powers.