I wonder if the game staff actually plays

Seeing how all of you have GM status doesn't mean you actually play  Take GM_Kal for example he is always on the excelsior server but none of my friends or myself has ever seen him play without the GM status PERIOD!

Because making up power sets or arch types are easy putting them in actual game play by you the staff shows people you aren't just spouting hot air.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

53 minutes ago, Honey Pie 143 said:

Seeing how all of you have GM status doesn't mean you actually play  Take GM_Kal for example he is always on the excelsior server but none of my friends or myself has ever seen him play without the GM status PERIOD!

Because making up power sets or arch types are easy putting them in actual game play by you the staff shows people you aren't just spouting hot air.

Does it matter how often they currently play?  As long as they have a history of experience with the game then that's enough for me.  I don't think the majority of GMs are involved with creating new content anyway.

I may or may not have teamed with GM Kal's non-GM account . . . 

Just saying. 

When they're in GM mode, they might idly play some solo missions.  When they're not on their GM accounts, they play just like the rest of us do.

Edit:

At least two (maybe three) GM accounts are also members of Global Channels which I use, because the players use the same /chatload command for both their standard and GM accounts, which accidentally put their GM accounts in to the Global Channels.  This may include GM Jimmy.

Edited by ArchVileTerror
Further evidence, but added ambiguous language instead of definitives.

57 minutes ago, Honey Pie 143 said:

Yes it does matter because creating a poll to fix the dark armor power set without giving a valid reason why you need to create a poll for it and based on the last part of your statement what does that have to do with the question i am asking?

So in your only two posts you have decided that being caustic and rude is your best option? I have answered your question... as have others - yes they play the game. Seeing as how this is neither a suggestion nor providing any type of feedback... hopefully this thread gets closed. 

I've heard rumours that they masquerade as ordinary players, us. They stalk amongst us, unseen, wielding terrifying and godlike power. That cute Ice/Cold Controller you met on the Posi1? The silent Poison/Rad Defender that carried the group through a rough Barracuda? Even the loud and boisterous Brute who kept running ahead and getting killed. All of them could be Homecoming staff, waiting, biding their time to unleash their awesome wrath.

Why, they could be anyone. Anyone in this thread could be one!

Even ...

You.

• Haha 7

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

What?  Me?

Nooooo.

Psshaw.

That's - . . . 

That's crazy talk!

. . .

. . 

*make a break for the exit*

(For the record, I am not a GM or a member of the Homecoming Staff, and do not mean to impersonate any of them.  Just being silly, for a laugh.)

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Honey Pie 143 said:

Yes it does matter because creating a poll to fix the dark armor power set without giving a valid reason why you need to create a poll for it and based on the last part of your statement what does that have to do with the question i am asking?

What? Are you talking about the weekly discussion thread? The topics for those are voted on and the ones with the most votes receive a specific thread to talk about.

• Like 1

I cannot imagine any reason why anyone would want to be an unpaid volunteer for an organization they don't have a personal stake in.  Since there is no money involved, I assume that it's a love of the game that keeps them going on through a mostly thankless job.  It's even more thankless when people like OP post things like this.

Who run Bartertown?

Yes GMs play the game. They all have multiple accounts just like everyone else. They typically don't want people to know who they are, and often enough in most MMO's aren't allowed to go around bragging that they are a GM, especially if it's their job (I've known people to lose a job over that before).

That said they are regular people just like everyone else. They eat, shit, and sleep just like the rest of us. The reason why someone might not want to advertise that they are a GM, is so they aren't getting hassled constantly. Everyone has jobs, kids, lives, etc. and sometimes people just have enough time to run a speed ITF on a new defender they rolled up over the last week or so while drinking a beer and watching Netflix before they have to get dinner ready.

The petition system works, it might not be the fastest, but there's a decent population of GMs to help share the weight. It's important to remember they are all volunteers.

Edited by SeraphimKensai

Nope. You'd think GMs would naturally be drawn from the game's playerbase, but really they're a small cabal of folks that go around volunteering to help with running servers for dead MMOs. Joining their ranks requires years of training in translating l33tsp34k, enduring petty insults and passive-aggressive forum posts and understanding fine details that would put even the best rules lawyers to shame. The final ritual for induction includes an oath to never actually play video games again in order to maintain their strict neutrality.

The vow of celibacy isn't written, but it's just kinda implied with the rest. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

If I may; it sounds like Honey is operating on a couple of assumptions.

1:  That GMs have any say in the Development of the game beyond what any other player does, conflating GMs with members of the Homecoming Team's Developers.

2:  That because the GMs which Honey has seen don't appear to be joining teams and playing the game like normal players, that they don't play at all.

3:  That these GMs who "don't play" can't possibly know enough about the game to render their opinions on Development valid.

4:  That the Weekly Discussion Thread is somehow a call from the GMs to have the players fix the game for them.

That's at least my reading on the situation.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ArchVileTerror said:

If I may; it sounds like Honey is operating on a couple of assumptions.

1:  That GMs have any say in the Development of the game beyond what any other player does, conflating GMs with members of the Homecoming Team's Developers.

2:  That because the GMs which Honey has seen don't appear to be joining teams and playing the game like normal players, that they don't play at all.

3:  That these GMs who "don't play" can't possibly know enough about the game to render their opinions on Development valid.

4:  That the Weekly Discussion Thread is somehow a call from the GMs to have the players fix the game for them.

That's at least my reading on the situation.

I also got out of the original post an assumption that the GM part on their GM character is a title as opposed to part of the account/character' name they use with elevated privileges name.

Edited by SeraphimKensai

I have a theory on that, Kelvin.

. . .

. . .

What?

OH!  "Share it?"

uh, sorry.  I already did.  In an encrypted post.  In another thread.  From a different account.*

Can't be too careful.  -They- might be watching . . . 

. . . 

What?

"They?"  No!  Not the Devs.  I don't mind if the Devs know.  "They" refers to . . . *glances back and forth* . . . -Them-!  *very slow, deliberate, and ostentatious wink*

Edit:  *Crap.  It -wasn't- on another account.  It was this one!  I've doomed us all!

Edited by ArchVileTerror
https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/17268-presented-without-further-comment/?tab=comments#comment-190950
  • Haha 1

• Retired Lead Game Master

@Honey Pie 143 If you are talking about the poll on power sets - those are for the weekly discussions.

You can find the most recent one here: 

You can find a list of ALL feedback and suggestions from previous weekly discussions here: 

The poll for the power sets was just to get some more topics on what to talk about every week. We just finished our discussions on each of the Archetypes individually so I wanted to spend some more time on sets that people wanted to talk about. 

*Just wanted to make a quick note that these discussions were my idea because the player base is an incredible group of intelligent people with great ideas. While we do play the game - and for the example's sake I do have a Dark Armor tank - but 1000+ people are going to come up with more great ideas together than just 1 person. 🙂 

Edited by GM Miss
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Contact me on Discord (Miss#1337) for a faster response!

Want more information on lore pets?

Want to get involved in our weekly discussions on discord or the forums?

1 hour ago, Indystruck said:

It's suspicious to file a ticket and instantly get a GM. It's especially suspicious when one person is not moving or talking or doing anything the instant the GM appears, and resumes normal control once they leave. Weird concidences. Hmmmmm...

Clearly, that person who stood stock-still was not the GM's "normal player" account.

Clearly, that person was just paralyzed by awe of a GM appearing in their midst, and stunned and unable to take action for the duration.

I can think of no other explanation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Honey Pie 143 said:

I would find it highly unlikely that non-players would have the passion to raise the game from the grave.

• Like 2

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

I mean, I get accused plenty of not "playing the game" for a variety of reasons.

My distaste for the market.

My lack of level 50s.

My severe aversion to anyone calling this a "comic book game" as a means to justify really shitty content or flawed game mechanics.

But I know I would sure as salty savagery host servers to keep this game going if only I could afford them.

• Like 1