What Does "Steamroll" Mean to You?

15 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

..read this and immediately thought, "I bet tanker was wondering why the team went the other way instead of following him like most teams would do." 

Interesting, I read that and, as someone who mains a tanker, immediately thought, "what a garbage tanker. Clearly someone who wanted to play a scrapper, but not skilled enough."

I wouldn't have known that steamroll meant kill through to objectives.  I would have assumed you meant a speed run.  I usually seem people say kill-most or kill-through.

How fast are the steamrollers in your town??? I'd be scared to go outside LOL

My definition of Steamroll is a team that kills things very fast with no fear of danger or over-aggroing enemies.  It's not a tactic.  It's just something you discover you can do because your team is overpowered for the mission.

Yeah, that's basically it.

Hm, I wouldn't have thought it had a hard and fast definition like this, but it makes sense I guess.  Up until now I would have thought it was as described above a team that can just roll through a map without having to stop for any reason and that's fairly quickly melting away any resistance.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

13 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Steamroll: Not necessarily fast.  But anything in the way gets plowed under.

Not a speed run.
Not a kill-all or "scrape the walls for every last enemy".

☝️ Pretty much how I think of it.

Your team are weedeaters and everything in your path gets mowed over.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

I've never seen the term used in this context. As others mention you'll have more lucking using the modern CoH lingo of 'kill all', 'kill most' and 'speed run'.

- Kill All is very rare. Few people have the patience to kill all the mobs and go out of their way to kill more. An example of this is the ITF which is very kill heavy and superb experience, but even a kill happy team who takes one of the sides at the last mission will not go back and do the other side.

- Kill Most is the most common. Kill what is needed, and if there is a mission whose sole objective is killing a named boss or finding a glowie then someone will do that and in the meanwhile the others are plowing through the map for more XP as they wait.

- Speedruns, in my experience, tend to be pretty rare. The whole group will run past enemies if there are glowies or named bosses to kill and zero consideration for XP is given. This is part of why they are rare. XP is useful to everyone except those fanatics with 200 vet levels.

1 hour ago, Sovera said:

- Speedruns, in my experience, tend to be pretty rare. The whole group will run past enemies if there are glowies or named bosses to kill and zero consideration for XP is given. This is part of why they are rare. XP is useful to everyone except those fanatics with 200 vet levels.

I'd agree with you with one exception:  The Weekly Strike Target.  You see a lot of those advertised as speedruns.  You see Task Forces in general advertised as speedruns more often than other content...   Because folks are doing those for the Merits rather than for XP.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

57 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

I'd agree with you with one exception:  The Weekly Strike Target.  You see a lot of those advertised as speedruns.  You see Task Forces in general advertised as speedruns more often than other content...   Because folks are doing those for the Merits rather than for XP.

Not in my experience which is why I said it as much. Though I'm a euro on Everlasting so maybe we just are not on at the same times.

3 hours ago, Sovera said:

Not in my experience which is why I said it as much. Though I'm a euro on Everlasting so maybe we just are not on at the same times.

I'm on Excelsior, so that's definitely going to skew things too.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!

If I saw someone advertising a stream-roller TF, I would think it's a speed run as well. Which is what it sounds like it would be. The current terms do seem to be speed, kill most and kill all. Keep in mind not everyone here are vets, or remember some of those kind of things anymore.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

It also sounds like an all T4 incinerate ITF team, choo-choo.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

I'd not heard "steamroll" used in that sense, but it sounds like what people mean when they say "kill most."  Kill all is kill all, speed is hit the objectives and get out, and kill most is kill everything in the way to complete the mish (my preferred method). 

"Steamroll" to me means just plow through and cause carnage, not necessary following "old" play rules where tankers herd, trolls wait for herd to be positioned before locking them down, etc. and etc. (Seems few teams do it that way anymore, for good or ill.)  In my understanding, then, "steamrolling" can be done in both kill alls and in kill mosts.  But it makes sense the way you describe it, too: steamroll through mobs to the end of the mish.

On 5/17/2020 at 8:56 PM, Apparition said:

A friend of mine on the TF with us suggested that most people don't know what "steamroll" means, and that it was pretty much a term exclusive to the Champion server that we played on before sunset.

No.  The term was widely used on Infinity, which was the 2nd or 3rd largest server at varying times.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I always thought of steamroll as a tactic or strategy.  You have corner pulls, herding and steamrolling.  Steamrolling can also be called zerg or Leroy...although the latter is more an after the failure description lol.

I am a kill-all kinda gal....even in briggs cave map I scour for the last ones, but if I join a team, I usually just follow whatever pace the leader sets.  If other teammates arent following the leaders pace, well, not my problem since I am allergic to leading teams 😁

35 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

I always thought of steamroll as a tactic or strategy.  You have corner pulls, herding and steamrolling.  Steamrolling can also be called zerg or Leroy...although the latter is more an after the failure description lol.

I always thought it more of an observation of what's happening or has happened.

• Like 1