Make Field Medic auto

I was considering taking the Medicine power pool for my MM, mainly because of the description on Field Medic. Had I thought to go to paragonwiki, I'd have seen that it's not an Auto, however. As a click power, I'm not sure how worth it that is. As an auto, it'd be worth eating 3 power slots.  Does anyone even take this pool?

• Like 4

It has two components. One is auto, the other isn't.

When you pick the power, it will remove the interrupt from the other powers regardless of if it's active or not.

As a click power, it boosts your healing.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

I believe it only removed the Interrupt on Aid Other.  Aid Self still interrupts, to the best of my knowledge, but does gain an Endurance-over-time ticker.

Yes it removes the interrupt from Aid Other and adds +End to Aid self. Knowing that aspect of it is still auto helps. The power could be worded more clearly in-game to indicate that.

• Like 1

Field Medic should be auto..

Remove all interrupts from aid other AND AID SELF.. 

And give the endurance buff as well.  

Increase the endurance cost and make it auto 

31 minutes ago, RogueWolf said:

Agreed. It's a pool power that you have to build up to. It should be as good as the final power in the other pools.

Since when are final powers in other pools considered all that good across the board though? Origin pools aside.

Long Range Teleport -would- have been good if not for the laundry list of other means of fast travel, _before_ you even consider the enterbase GM command.

. . . yeah, yeah, I know.  We already had that thread.

But for Field Medic?  Why not meet half way?

Split the Heal Boost so that 1/2 of it is Auto, and then if you need to REALLY push it, activate Field Medic to convert the other Half in to Overheal (Absorb)!

Does that sound like a better Tier 5 Pool to folks?

Yeah I'd be 100% okay with making Field Medic an auto power with no other modifications, though that would mean it loses the ability to slot any enhancements. I wonder if it's possible to make the +heal/-res(heal) enhanceable with heal enhancements/sets. It's an extremely niche power as it stands and the only place I've actually seen it used is a few specific PvP builds.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

Most of the final powers are at least usable and don't hurt to take...though, admittedly, usually people have better options, with a few exceptions

Cross punch isn't bad -- especially if you picked up kick and boxing -- it's just very hard to justify the cost to get it to full power in most builds. Not even mentioning Weave which has the same cost investment.
Burnout is pretty great, if limited in useful application. (double gangwar?)
Afterburner is regularly taken by people who like flight *
Phase shift is a great escape tool...not useful in PVE generally, but regularly used in PvP.
Acrobatics is...ok for mez protect, not bad for fire defense and not rare to see in PvP
Vengence is niche, but very useful.  Victory rush is less niche, but also very useful prior to Incarnates.

Teleport is basically the only set that doesn't have a useful T3 at all -- and as already mentioned that's due to access to dev commands.

Most of the pools at least have 1 useful T3 power, which maybe is that Ressuricate is for the medicine pool, but field medic is basically required to make the t1 and t2 power in the pool useful, so...idk.

The whole medicine pool is just lacking (IMO), even the presence pool is a better investment...Unrelenting and Invoke panic are both solid skills at the least.

* IMO this is basically a must to make it on par with other travel powers. This is honestly where I feel field medic falls. It's basically a requirement to make the rest of the pool powers "viable", due to interrupts, but unlike afterburner it's not useful for mule slots, and the other powers are fairly meh regardless.

Edited by Eclipse.

On 7/14/2020 at 7:33 PM, RogueWolf said:

I was considering taking the Medicine power pool for my MM, mainly because of the description on Field Medic. Had I thought to go to paragonwiki, I'd have seen that it's not an Auto, however. As a click power, I'm not sure how worth it that is. As an auto, it'd be worth eating 3 power slots.  Does anyone even take this pool?

I took it and respecced out of it.  You have to click FM and then Aid Self to get the benefit, which is to much clicking in combat.  I would like it to:

• Be auto
  • Remove all interrupts from aid other and aid self
  • Give the endurance buff to aid other and aid self
  • Should be able to slot endurance and heal IOs to increase the heal / end in aid other and aid self
  • Increase endurance by 5% enhanceable

Okay, this might make it to good, but we are dreaming, right?

• Like 1

I complaining about Field Medic last year sometime, saying that using FM (as it is now, a click) should at the very least removed the Interrupt from Aid Other.

And of course..a lot of people claimed the power would be OP and better than 'proper' heals that way. *shakes head*

Even if the auto part of FM (with the power itself still being a click), gave some reduction to the int of Aid Self...so you could get away with using less slots there.

20 minutes ago, Razor Cure said:

And of course..a lot of people claimed the power would be OP and better than 'proper' heals that way. *shakes head*

Honestly...something that takes 3 power slots SHOULD be stronger than a "proper" heal, or at least "as strong".

Even if it had 0 interrupt once you got field medic I don't think it would be, though.

8 minutes ago, Eclipse. said:

Honestly...something that takes 3 power slots SHOULD be stronger than a "proper" heal, or at least "as strong".

Exactly the argument I made! lol. I mean, are say..Fire armour melees (with perhaps the best basic heal) suddenly going to be taking stim+aid self+FM, JUST to get an extra heal? WHen they could take tough and weave/whatever pool?

32 minutes ago, Razor Cure said:

Exactly the argument I made! lol. I mean, are say..Fire armour melees (with perhaps the best basic heal) suddenly going to be taking stim+aid self+FM, JUST to get an extra heal? WHen they could take tough and weave/whatever pool?

Weave is actually a GREAT example.
Weave on a tank gives 5% def to all. Invulnerability's Invincibility and Toug Hide gives 6% and 5%def to all TYPED damage respectively, but not ranged/melee/aoe.

So weave gives as much as a T8 auto power at the cost of  3 power slots, and additional endurance consumption. Or 20% less DEF (and no secondary effects) at a rougly 50% increased end cost.

By comparison Aid Other Heals for less than the T1 AOE heal from: Empath, Dark, Pain, Kin, Therm, and rad...and it has a longer recharge, longer cast, and is interruptable? (It heals for more than T2 time heal if you exclude the over time bit...barely.)
Aid other could have it's heal doubled and still be less effective in both healing (~20% less if increased by 2x) AND recharge (~2.5x longer) than Heal Other/Soothe/Alkaloid etc.

Aid self by comparison is actually over tuned as far as healing goes (both heal percentage AND recharge)...but I'd rather have the amount it heals brought down to be in line or slightly below other self heals and get rid of the interrupt. Sorry, but any self heal that can be interrupted is completely pointless IMO.

Edited by Eclipse.

20 minutes ago, Vanden said:

Aid Self is never going to be uninterruptible, not without a heavy nerf to its recharge.

Then nerf the recharge and be done with it.  Better it be a long time coming back than the complete waste of a click it is currently.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Eclipse. said:

So weave gives as much as a T8 auto power at the cost of  3 power slots, and additional endurance consumption. Or 20% less DEF (and no secondary effects) at a rougly 50% increased end cost.

Invincibility gives defense based on how many enemies are around you. It stacks up to quite a substantial value (starts at 6% unenhanced for the first one and 1% more per add up to 10). It is far more powerful than weave, for less endurance cost. Tough hide is an autopower, so no endurance cost for equal defense to weave. To see those as even close is utterly fatuous. 

1 hour ago, Black Zot said:

Then nerf the recharge and be done with it.  Better it be a long time coming back than the complete waste of a click it is currently.

It's pretty obvious that most people here underestimate Aid Self. It's better at eliminating downtime between spawns when your health is too low than Rest, and with its short recharge it produces more healing over time than any other self heal in the game. With one 50+5 interrupt IO the interrupt period is short enough to fire it off between most DoTs, and even without that it's easy enough to use in a fight by applying a modicum of strategy and breaking enemy line of sight before you try to use it. It's a good power.

Its only truly bad aspect is the ~4.5s activation time, and that I would definitely like to see reduced.

Edited by Vanden

13 hours ago, Eclipse. said:

Even if it had 0 interrupt once you got field medic I don't think it would be, though.

Not disagreeing with any specific proposal for field medic, but no pool power should ever be as strong as a comparable primary, secondary, or epic power. By design.

20 hours ago, macskull said:

Yeah I'd be 100% okay with making Field Medic an auto power with no other modifications, though that would mean it loses the ability to slot any enhancements. I wonder if it's possible to make the +heal/-res(heal) enhanceable with heal enhancements/sets. It's an extremely niche power as it stands and the only place I've actually seen it used is a few specific PvP builds.

I threw Medicine into an MSR-specific /Nature build just to see what kind of effect FM would have on the various heals and whatnot, and all I can say is, the pool certainly lived down to expectations. 

Even with the interrupt removed when you get FM, Aid Self is ridiculously slow and underwhelming... a power I have to burn TWO choices to get to, and THREE choices to actually have a shot at using it when it's actually needed, only to have it functionally out-performed by a damn inspiration macro I can plug in for free?  Ugh, no.  I would hate to be on a character what had NO other access to self-heal, thinking *this* would help.

Field Medic delivers a nice little boost to existing healing powers, but I would love to see it amp up Absorb powers as well;  if I'm being honest, I think it should either boost your heals a lot more than it does, or a lot longer than it does, or maybe a little of both because man.  This pool sucks.

• Like 1

Those of you who continue to profess a belief in the Users will receive the standard, substandard training which will result in your eventual elimination.
That will be all.