CoH Modder

59 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Well... ZERO text references in the entire DATA directory to this file, in over 300,000 files, there's no mention of it. I'm going to expand my search now to my entire development directory to see if it's coming from somewhere else...

Perhaps it is an abandoned file that the game no longer uses, that was just left in the piggs? The mod that I made that makes the old-school 'pew' sound when entering the game uses a file (playgame.ogg) that I could not find in the Rosetta Stone file, and I have a feeling that file was probably abandoned at some point and just left in the piggs.

2 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Maybe that's the case @AboveTheChemist. I just finished my grep search, and in the whole of my CoH files, it's only referenced in two files, both of which appear to be related to either Dev testing or excluding the file from production:

image.thumb.png.f2588de293e6b0e604de50c89bebd31a.png

The Taunt Mod is now on the CoH Modder Tool! Thanks so much for locating that, Knight. Absolutely fantastic!

• Thanks 1

So does maletaunt6 actually affect the sound of the taunt powers? Have you tested this in game yet?

If so, I'm super confused, because my search searched ALL of the game code that I'm aware of - the data files, the code, and even the binaries... so where the HELL is the reference then? It's like the game is pulling it out of nowhere... that concerns me.

I'm out.

35 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

So does maletaunt6 actually affect the sound of the taunt powers? Have you tested this in game yet?

If so, I'm super confused, because my search searched ALL of the game code that I'm aware of - the data files, the code, and even the binaries... so where the HELL is the reference then? It's like the game is pulling it out of nowhere... that concerns me.

MaleTaunt6 is the only taunt file used for males in game now...no other taunt file is used anymore. There used to be different files usedd based on what type of character you had. Extra Large males used to have a different taunt than normal sized males. Not anymore, now they are all the same. The file you pulled that I was able to make a mod out of is no longer used. That is why I could not find it in the pigg files...it wasn't there. What you seemed to have tapped in to is a storage archive bin of some sorts that had the unused file. It's all good though, I simply used the original taunt bite and changed the name so that the game would use it instead.

Correction: MaleTaunt4 is the only file used for male taunts now.

Edited by Solarverse
  • Thanks 2

Okay, thank you @Solarverse I was confused. So the reference ISN'T for maletaunt6b, it was for 4, but 6b is the sound you wanted, and I happened to find it among a collection of apparently "decommissioned" sounds.

Great, all is right in the world, and my head now won't explode from lack of logic.

• Thanks 2
I'm out.

9 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Okay, thank you @Solarverse I was confused. So the reference ISN'T for maletaunt6b, it was for 4, but 6b is the sound you wanted, and I happened to find it among a collection of apparently "decommissioned" sounds.

Great, all is right in the world, and my head now won't explode from lack of logic.

Exactly, you are a God Send, my man. Much love to ya for that, Knight.  🙂 

• Thanks 1

3 and 4 are sounding good to me.

🙂

I used the Modding App and put the 'original' (or pre 'free to play' ) 'Ahhh….' into CoH.

Sounds great.  No more 'HuR!' (violent sick bucket.)

I asked my duo partner to listen to it.  He said, 'Hur?'  Then I realised he'd have to download it to to his client as the mods are local.

I remember his 'Giant body' Fire Tanker having 'Ahhh...' and latterly wondering why all my tanks sounded 'Hur!'  (Which I just didn't like...along with the bent over animation for some taunts...)

Well done you two heroes.  You have done well.   Hashtag Grandstanding 'Ahhh...' *winks to camera.

The mystery of the 'Ahh...'  vs the 'Hur..!' is solved.  It seems there was a 'Taunt' tidy up and some of the Male taunts were decommissioned?  

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

On 9/14/2020 at 10:57 AM, Golden Azrael said:

3 and 4 are sounding good to me.

🙂

I used the Modding App and put the 'original' (or pre 'free to play' ) 'Ahhh….' into CoH.

Sounds great.  No more 'HuR!' (violent sick bucket.)

I asked my duo partner to listen to it.  He said, 'Hur?'  Then I realised he'd have to download it to to his client as the mods are local.

I remember his 'Giant body' Fire Tanker having 'Ahhh...' and latterly wondering why all my tanks sounded 'Hur!'  (Which I just didn't like...along with the bent over animation for some taunts...)

Well done you two heroes.  You have done well.   Hashtag Grandstanding 'Ahhh...' *winks to camera.

The mystery of the 'Ahh...'  vs the 'Hur..!' is solved.  It seems there was a 'Taunt' tidy up and some of the Male taunts were decommissioned?  

Azrael.

Exactly. Their used to be a difference between certain taunts depending upon body size. Huge Males said "Ahhhh" and the normal framed males said, "Hurrr!" I was one of the people upset when they changed it, because the "Ahhhh" with the deep tone fit the huge males much better and the "Hurrr" sounded decent for the mid framed males. So they simplified it because people actually complained about it on the forums and got it changed...never mind those of us who actually preferred it that way. After the Devs changed it to one size fits all, they disposed of the sound bite in a bin that @The Philotic Knight discovered...and thanks to him, I was able to take that sound bite and put it back in to the taunt file. Sadly though, since there is only one size fits all sfx bite for taunts, if you use the mod, it changes all the taunts regardless of what size male you have. This is one reason that The CoH Modder Tool comes in handy, you can engage and disengage the mod at will. So if you are playing a mid framed Tank, you can disengage the Mod and use the standard taunt sfx. If you are playing a Huge Male, you can engage the Mod and have it that way. It's all your choice now.  🙂

On 9/17/2020 at 9:12 AM, Solarverse said:

Exactly. Their used to be a difference between certain taunts depending upon body size. Huge Males said "Ahhhh" and the normal framed males said, "Hurrr!" I was one of the people upset when they changed it, because the "Ahhhh" with the deep tone fit the huge males much better and the "Hurrr" sounded decent for the mid framed males. So they simplified it because people actually complained about it on the forums and got it changed...never mind those of us who actually preferred it that way. After the Devs changed it to one size fits all, they disposed of the sound bite in a bin that @The Philotic Knight discovered...and thanks to him, I was able to take that sound bite and put it back in to the taunt file. Sadly though, since there is only one size fits all sfx bite for taunts, if you use the mod, it changes all the taunts regardless of what size male you have. This is one reason that The CoH Modder Tool comes in handy, you can engage and disengage the mod at will. So if you are playing a mid framed Tank, you can disengage the Mod and use the standard taunt sfx. If you are playing a Huge Male, you can engage the Mod and have it that way. It's all your choice now.  🙂

That's a good overview for anyone wanting to know what was going on with the taunt sound fx.  I couldn't understand why the 'Ahhh' had vanished.

I'm quite alright with the global 'Ahhh' personally.  It's on all my taunt takers. 😄

They all say 'Ahhh...' before the 'gift' is dispensed.

Thanks again to you and Philotic Knight, I really like the Modding app and do I like my 'Ahhh.'

Azrael.

I played COH in the olden days. Have just gotten into Homecoming. I have to say the COH Modder is amazeballs! Makes it much easier and more fun to try different mods out. And I love having everything accessible in one place. Kudos on all of your work - and that of all the mod authors!

One suggestion if I may - since I'm frequently reading the descriptions over in the right column to see what they do. Can you decrease the width of the mod names columns and increase the width of the descriptions columns? It would be nice not having to scroll down through each description.

Thanks!

17 hours ago, MindPyre said:

One suggestion if I may - since I'm frequently reading the descriptions over in the right column to see what they do. Can you decrease the width of the mod names columns and increase the width of the descriptions columns? It would be nice not having to scroll down through each description.

You know what? I'll do you one better. I just put all controls inside a series of SplitContainers, so that you will be able to do this:

image.thumb.png.7037756e6c5e1847c7e94ee552f551b9.png

Resize pretty much any of the areas at your whim by modifying the border between the areas. That also includes the height:

image.thumb.png.d8ba600460712ffde175c1a4347c8eaa.png

I'll release this update as soon as I get the "Category Filter" put in, which is my next task, so... Soon™.

Edited by The Philotic Knight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
I'm out.

And Soon™ is now! Not only can you now manipulate the size of all of the control areas, but now there is a new Category filter:

image.png.f6671487ad4beb1fd9fb2a06758614f7.png

image.png.524d2ce3e2cf96e7c7b06c380d829081.png

image.png.68ee3516d1e3c285bef4014cff5560f6.png

If you leave that filter blank/NULL, it will display ALL mods.

I went ahead and manually went into all 60 existing mods and inserted/updated that ModCategory to be accurate myself on the server. Because I'm a maniac.

Be aware that this filter affects ALL of the ListBoxes, so if you have any installed mods and/or uninstalled local mods, they may not appear if you have this filter set to anything but the default "blank" setting, due to the locally installed mod files having either no or invalid ModCategory settings "baked into them". Your best bet to see them is to blank out the filter. Then you might want to think about removing/uninstalling them from your PC and getting a fresh updated copy from the server.

Or, if you want to go extreme, there's always the "Fresh Start" button that wipes all mods from your mod directories and re-downloads (but does NOT install!!!) all of the mods from the server:

image.png.7f49fed84bad1815328dbd68e7ac3c58.png

• Like 4
I'm out.

Whenever the program tries to load the list of server mods, this error is produced.
This just started happening while I was in the middle of using the old version of the program, but I just downloaded the new one and it's the same way.
It's also still happening if I run the game as administrator.
image.png.28502bffe2ec0a0cb116695ed68e18c2.png

2 minutes ago, Lithobraker said:

Whenever the program tries to load the list of server mods, this error is produced.
This just started happening while I was in the middle of using the old version of the program, but I just downloaded the new one and it's the same way.
It's also still happening if I run the game as administrator.
image.png.28502bffe2ec0a0cb116695ed68e18c2.png

I just fixed that. It was a data issue with two versions of the same mod existing on the database at the same time. Should be resolved now, please try again! You shouldn't need to restart the program even!

• Like 1
I'm out.

21 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

I just fixed that. It was a data issue with two versions of the same mod existing on the database at the same time. Should be resolved now, please try again! You shouldn't need to restart the program even!

Great! The error is fixed now. I guess I should've waited a bit longer.

No new version, database corruption. Somehow @Solarverse your "Kinetic Melee Soul Mage Mod" had more than one version listed in the mod "database" (really an XML file where I'm storing all of the file listings). Version 1 and Version 2 both being listed are messing it up. I deleted the first version listing, but it somehow came back. I'll keep watching this and thinking about the code to see if I can figure out how an "old" version listing got put back in the database.

I might just throw in some "patch" code that says if more than one version is found, then remove all version references other than the newest... but that's a patch that I'd rather not do. I'd rather just find out how the hell it got in there in the first place!

Should be all good.... for now.

I'm out.

1 hour ago, The Philotic Knight said:

No new version, database corruption. Somehow @Solarverse your "Kinetic Melee Soul Mage Mod" had more than one version listed in the mod "database" (really an XML file where I'm storing all of the file listings). Version 1 and Version 2 both being listed are messing it up. I deleted the first version listing, but it somehow came back. I'll keep watching this and thinking about the code to see if I can figure out how an "old" version listing got put back in the database.

I might just throw in some "patch" code that says if more than one version is found, then remove all version references other than the newest... but that's a patch that I'd rather not do. I'd rather just find out how the hell it got in there in the first place!

Should be all good.... for now.

Oh wow, that is strange. I guess once deleted, it's still actually there just not accessible. That is the only way I can see the database returning the older version. And I updated that a long time ago, which is even more strange.

On 9/23/2020 at 10:20 AM, The Philotic Knight said:

You know what? I'll do you one better. I just put all controls inside a series of SplitContainers, so that you will be able to do this:

Resize pretty much any of the areas at your whim by modifying the border between the areas. That also includes the height:

I'll release this update as soon as I get the "Category Filter" put in, which is my next task, so... Soon™.

Holy crap balls! This looks amazing! THANK YOU!

Adding a file via the "Browse for mod to install" option caused all uninstalled local mods to become "System.Data.DataRowView". CLicking on these causes an unhandled exception, and they cannot be removed.

I do not think the mod in question was set up to be installed via this tool, but if there isn't some special process to do that then this is a general bug. Otherwise, I need to figure out a way to remove the files, settings, or data causing this error

Edited by Ah_Ftagn

@The Philotic Knight

I guess that damn file reared its ugly face again.

Is there anything that I can do on my end to correct this? Maybe make a new version even if it stays the same?

Knight2.jpg

Edited by Solarverse