Does the height of your character affect the range of your powers?

Silverado

Sure, this sounds like one of those things you'd initially dismiss without a second thought, but I seem to remember someone actually running some tests in the past and reaching the conclusion that taller characters have a slightly range increase, and shorter characters have a slight range decrease.

Does anyone have any numbers regarding this topic?

I have always thought that character height affected the navigability of caves and other maps.  I tend to build 'em tall, and am always running into torches and pipes or falling off railless catwalks.  This may just be my clumsiness, but it may also relate to the fact that though each character is virtually the same shape, it puts your 'eyes' at a height appropriate to the model you chose. 

• Like 3
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

7 minutes ago, Number Six said:

Character height doesn't change any combat calculations, nor does it affect the character's collision volume. All players are cylinders 3' across, and 6' tall regardless of costume appearance.

Thanks for the confirmation.

• City Council
1 hour ago, Shred Monkey said:

Tall models feel sooooooooooo sloooooooow.

Probably because the game actually slows down movement animations for taller characters, to compensate for the fact that they are moving at the same speed as shorter ones and not covering as much ground as they should for their leg length.

Conversely, using the minimum size can make your character a bit hyperactive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Number Six said:

Character height doesn't change any combat calculations, nor does it affect the character's collision volume. All players are cylinders 3' across, and 6' tall regardless of costume appearance.

3' wide?!? City of chubbers?

Edited by Gobbledegook

Yeah. Character movement animations do not scale well with character height. In both EQ and WoW, gnomes and dwarves feel like they run so much faster than trolls and ogres. I think some of it is the animation speeds are different. I think it’s also in part because distance traveled in height/sec is much higher for small races, even if it’s the same in feet/sec. 

On the flip side, all pets move at the same speed (in wow at least) regardless of size. And while a giant 5’ tall spider walking around looks normal, when you scale it down to a 1’ tall spider that moves at the same speed, it’s tiny legs are a blur of motion that just looks wrong. There’s more to a running animation than just speeding up a walking animation. 

• Like 2

The only thing I can think of is that model scaling can affect the visuals of PBAOE's, for example the visual of Mudpots on my Stone/Fire scranker visibly increases in diameter when he goes from minimum height mobile fumarole to 9 foot lump of Granite.

The actual functional radius at which mobs get taunted/slowed/damaged doesn't change, so far as I know, but if you're not paying really close attention, you could easily think otherwise.

It's a shame that it does affect the visuals because it can easily lead to false impressions that are really hard to shake off, even when you know intellectually that they're false.

9 hours ago, Number Six said:

Does it have any impact on animation size -- which like character size could be both fixed and dynamic? I am guessing not but still I wonder.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

I do know that height can affect the ability to target foes. I have a robot that can change size, at his smallest he can't shoot over crates, while at his biggest he can just fine.

Anecdote, not data!

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

8 hours ago, Number Six said:

Probably because the game actually slows down movement animations for taller characters, to compensate for the fact that they are moving at the same speed as shorter ones and not covering as much ground as they should for their leg length.

Indeed.

Watching a minimum height character use the 'walk' emote is... interesting.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

35 minutes ago, Patti said:

Character height changes camera position though for sure.

Not so sure about that.  When you have a min height character and use a sit emote, they practically disappear from the camera view.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

10 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Not so sure about that.  When you have a min height character and use a sit emote, they practically disappear from the camera view.

It does affect camera position though.

I have characters that have issues targeting over crates in warehouses because they're so small.

Others have no problem because they can see over the crate.

a quick camera rotation will usually resolve the issue.

7 minutes ago, Twisted Toon said:

It does affect camera position though.

I have characters that have issues targeting over crates in warehouses because they're so small.

Others have no problem because they can see over the crate.

a quick camera rotation will usually resolve the issue.

Hmm... I'm usually zoomed out quite a bit, so never had that issue.

6 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Hmm... I'm usually zoomed out quite a bit, so never had that issue.

I only zoom out 4 wheelie unit clicks of the mouse wheel.

Just enough to see the the feet of my character over the Enhancement bar at the bottom of my screen.

At least, for an average sized character.

The tiny characters don't need to zoom out as much for the feet to be visible, and the larger characters need to zoom out even further than the average.

I think the camera height is determined by where the head on the character is when standing...

10 hours ago, gamingglen said:

It does. You can see for yourself, make one costume slot tall and another short then switch between them.

This.  I have one character with about a two-foot height difference between costume slots.  When I switch, I can see the entire field of view shift up or down.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

When facing a wall, this is what my main villain Commandant Nongratis sees.

image.png.3c4654fe9b04e5f08f2dae9670bae7f6.png

She's a 5'-nothing human with no super powers (so not even the shortest you could go).

Here's what the wall looks like, without moving, after switching to a costume slot that has a maxed-height Huge power armour outfit.

image.png.6493c1b0bc35bda82eb44a0a8b40f99f.png

So, yeah.  Camera position is definitely tied to the character's height.

On 8/21/2020 at 3:35 PM, Number Six said:

This is quite true.  I was playing a huge toon at the minimum size when divine inspiration occured that I could put a tail on it and call it a monkey.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow