Thoughts on /Regen

Sorrison

4 hours ago, Sorrison said:

I was thinking about creating a Claw/Regen but it seems like they wouldn't pair well together. Any thoughts on /Regen??

It's broadly considered the weakest armor set.  There are always those who disagree, but opinion on this is as close to consensus as anything in CoH seems to get.

• Like 1

Regen is awesome, don't listen to the haters!

What I can say is you can really help yourself out by pairing it with a primary that can balance a good amount of soft control effects like knockdown, or has some defensive tools to buff stats, or both. Claws plays well with Regen because it's a fast set and doesn't get in the way of the secondary when it needs to click something; it also has Shockwave which is a really nice and wide cone you can drop a KB>KD into and have a strong repeatable KD at your disposal. Staff, Katana, Broadsword, Martial Arts, Titan Weapons, and War Mace will all have some extra utility as well.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

Regen is awesome

No it is not lol 😁

14 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

What I can say is you can really help yourself out by pairing it with a primary that can balance a good amount of soft control effects like knockdown, or has some defensive tools to buff stats, or both. Claws plays well with Regen because it's a fast set and doesn't get in the way of the secondary when it needs to click something; it also has Shockwave which is a really nice and wide cone you can drop a KB>KD into and have a strong repeatable KD at your disposal.

All kidding aside, this is actually good advice.  My original main was MA/Regen back in the day and the KD/Stuns worked well with together.  It allowed you some breathing room to click those heals by keeping targets knocked down or stunned.

17 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

Staff, Katana, Broadsword, Martial Arts, Titan Weapons, and War Mace will all have some extra utility as well.

You need to be careful with Staff (and presumably Titan Weapons) matched with regen.  Your defensive options are clicky, and getting caught up in a long animation will prevent you from hitting that magic button sometimes.  My staff/regen brute learned early on to "pre heal" before going into some of his spins.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

2 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

You need to be careful with Staff (and presumably Titan Weapons) matched with regen.  Your defensive options are clicky, and getting caught up in a long animation will prevent you from hitting that magic button sometimes.  My staff/regen brute learned early on to "pre heal" before going into some of his spins.

I actually rolled a TW/Regen a while back, he's a couple dozen Vet Levels into his career and fully T4'd. The short end of the story is Titan Weapons has never gotten in the way of my survival, and is in fact a direct link to the greater part of it (and for the record, I don't even use Defensive Sweep). I rolled him specifically to challenge the very idea that TW/Regen is a "bad pairing." It ended up being one my favorite characters to play. I find he also face-rolls a lot of the game's non-Incarnate content.

On 8/23/2020 at 6:16 PM, aethereal said:

It's broadly considered the weakest armor set.  There are always those who disagree, but opinion on this is as close to consensus as anything in CoH seems to get.

my only qualm is when peeps say WP is stronger ...easier, sure. but WP drowns in the deep-end of the pool no-matter how durable you build it, while /Regen can stay afloat with the right build. due to consensus being more a reflection of the avg build by the avg player with avg knowledge of game mechanics, i have to agree that it's considered the weakest. some sets just have wider skill gaps, & /Regen is possibly the widest.

@Sorrison ; read some of the other /Regen threads in both the Brute & Scrap sections.

Regen certainly isn't a set it and forget it set like WP.  The Instant Healing of days gone by is no more. 

I did dust off Regen for a DB/Regen build.  It does have quite a bit of investment in getting Defenses as high as possible.  But with Reconstruction, Dull Pain, IH, inspirations the set is very playable.  Even without hundreds of millions of inf invested.  I'm not expecting a top performer solo against any content, but something that can be fun on any team. 

It really needs a regenerating absorb shield like the Sentinel version got. 

My main was Claws/Regen on live for 7 years. He was tough, but I've built things now that survive things that would have left him a grease spot. 

I do have a build planned for one that hits perma-Hasten and softcaps S/L. Wondering how beefy he'll be (not done yet)

15 hours ago, Krazie Ivan said:

my only qualm is when peeps say WP is stronger ...easier, sure. but WP drowns in the deep-end of the pool no-matter how durable you build it, while /Regen can stay afloat with the right build. due to consensus being more a reflection of the avg build by the avg player with avg knowledge of game mechanics, i have to agree that it's considered the weakest. some sets just have wider skill gaps, & /Regen is possibly the widest.

@Sorrison ; read some of the other /Regen threads in both the Brute & Scrap sections.

Have to disagree, WP can be built strong.  I also feel it's t9 gets overlooked for a power that helps it keep afloat.  It's recharge is static, so you need to know when to click, and sometimes that means knowing to click it before you charge in, instead of last minute.

The original version of my namesake here was a Claws/regen scrapper. I did make it a Claws/wp brute this go around. I soloed quite a bit and would use Shockwave for my alpha since it is ranged and has KB. Add in Focus and you can keep things on their butts. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Regen would not be my first choice for an endgame character, but if you want to just check out an attack set it excels at that thanks to Quick Recovery at 4.  There are several things it excels at even in the late game: like Rularuu task forces and Hamidon raiding.   It excels at these because at least to some extent, if you're Regen damage is damage.  You won't be taken by surprise because your armor has holes.  Or rather, it has holes to just everything. 

You can if you want to try to build Regen up for toughness, taking Fighting pool, and investing in defense and resistance set bonuses.  If you're doing that, you're starting from behind.  I took Fighting and did that on a brute I made as an experiment to see if a Regen brute could be built for tanking.  It sorta works, but I'd rather have another tanker or tanking brute for the master run.  On my fire/regen scrapper I decided that chasing defense caps and running fighting was all lipstick on a pig.  Instead, I play the character as a melee blaster, taking invisibility and recall, and not expecting to live through everything.  Instead, I went all for recharge and slow resistance.  This character works great for soloing Shadow Shard TFs and lower level task forces, and as such earns a lot of merits solo. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Its definitely the weakest ... but ...

In a game where you can make blasters durable against most content ..

Of course you can turn it into something decent with IOs. 

It does have a good status protect power.  And its T9 is also one of the best.  

It gets End recovery at a very low level as well. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Heraclea said:

Regen would not be my first choice for an endgame character, but if you want to just check out an attack set it excels at that thanks to Quick Recovery at 4.  There are several things it excels at even in the late game: like Rularuu task forces and Hamidon raiding.   It excels at these because at least to some extent, if you're Regen damage is damage.  You won't be taken by surprise because your armor has holes.  Or rather, it has holes to just everything. 

You can if you want to try to build Regen up for toughness, taking Fighting pool, and investing in defense and resistance set bonuses.  If you're doing that, you're starting from behind.  I took Fighting and did that on a brute I made as an experiment to see if a Regen brute could be built for tanking.  It sorta works, but I'd rather have another tanker or tanking brute for the master run.  On my fire/regen scrapper I decided that chasing defense caps and running fighting was all lipstick on a pig.  Instead, I play the character as a melee blaster, taking invisibility and recall, and not expecting to live through everything.  Instead, I went all for recharge and slow resistance.  This character works great for soloing Shadow Shard TFs and lower level task forces, and as such earns a lot of merits solo. 

Ironically if Tankers got Regen, it might actually be okay. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

I've been doing pretty well with a claws/ninjutsu scrapper so far, just in case you were looking for something that does pair well with claws. The advantages of the claws set is it's fast, has good aoe and low endurance usage so a lot of secondaries should work with it, but I'd think for a regen set you'd probably want a primary that's more controllerish (I think, I haven't tried making a regen scrapper yet).

On 8/23/2020 at 6:16 PM, aethereal said:

wow just wow

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Claws is a great pairing for Regen.  Animations are generally fast and has a bit of knockdown to give your regen time to do its thing.  I would put Sudden Acceleration in Shockwave to at least keep mobs from flying everywhere and also toss in Overwhelming Force KD in Spin at least while leveling.  

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 10:27 PM, Without_Pause said:

The original version of my namesake here was a Claws/regen scrapper. I did make it a Claws/wp brute this go around. 

I did exactly the same thing. 

My reasoning was that I needed something that could actually hold agro a little bit because my wife's main is a blaster. 

• 1 month later

For my part when I took Regen the idea was a 0 downtime build where I could spam skills.

I went with ice because of the recharge slows, holds and AoE knockdowns.  The damage is not spectacular but the -recharge is nice to me, and like I said 0 downtime is nice.