The Problem with Pool Powers

JusticeBowler

I was originally going to ask this question, but I decided instead to investigate it myself and then report in instead. I'm not an expert in these things, but offer intel that other people could correct seemed more constructive than just asking the question:

Should anyone ever take a pool power attack? And if so, which one(s)? My answer is currently no, but with a caveat.

MB4WVQF.png

This is a simple sheet comparing Energy Blaster basic attack numbers with Pool Power Attacks. Then three different Controller basic attacks with a representative list of Pool Power Attacks at Controller damage levels. The base damage per click doesn't matter much, though it doesn't really change anything to look at it.

Over time or endurance, pool powers are crippled. These base power set attacks are lowest possible competitors for a power selection and enhancement slots. There's just zero reason to ever take a pool power. If they were 85% of the pool powers, maybe, but 65%?

For a Controller, someone might argue they get a bit of and END improvement and Recovery being a per-second thing and the longer animations on some of the power pool attacks might mean that you are better off clicking a pool power if your endurance is crashing. But you'll lose both DPS (aka the mob will still take longer to die) and you lose the secondary effects of your control attacks. That argument also fails to account for Controller's base powers having improved ACC as well (90% compared to 75%) which again, devistates the pool power DPS numbers further if put into the equation.

CAVEAT

I like to think everything is in the game for a reason and by that logic I used to be fond of Flight/Air Superiority. I figured it did enough damage that along with the knockdown it was worth it. Well, if you find the animation entertaining, or if you are a "always flying" squishy that's trying to keep mobs out of the sky during battle to avoid melee attacks I suppose I might still endorse it. But there are other ways to get a mob out of the sky.

I didn't put up melee characters numbers, but they don't really change anything. If you were a melee character that took a powerset with insanely long animation times (I had an Ice/Axe Tank all the way to end game who knows the suffering this causes at low levels) maybe Boxing... maybe just to have a button to click to make you feel better, not because the mob will fall any faster and then only at low levels. And don't forget you'll have to redraw your weapon!

I'm not suggesting that Pool Powers should be as good as primaries, but if they aren't really close to the lowest end of the primary no one should ever take them (certainly not slot them).

The only thing I didn't explore is whether some of these powers are useful for slotting IOs for global benefit. That's way outside my wheelhouse.

Temporary/Vendor Powers

I don't have the numbers for the Temp Powers. So I have no idea how they stack up, but apart from melee characters pulling with Nemesis Staff or Black Wand... or the very narrow case of fighting undead with the Axe (and allowing for redraw)... I suspect a deep dive into the numbers won't reveal a diamond in the rough. In fact, I'm convinced that Sands of Mu is more of a honey trap than an actual attack power given how long the animation is and its high END cost.

The only advantage Temps really have is that you don't have to purchase them or slot them. I remember being told they "slot themselves" as you go up in levels ... or something like that back in the day. Still, even if they are free, if you have a complete attack chain then clicking on one of these is always a set down and backwards.

Yeah, I use them... until about lvl 12.

Final Note about Sorcery

What gives? This pool is better than Flying in every way accept Group Fly (which in my entire game play in the old days someone tried once in Shadow Shard and after a couple of people fell to their death we never tried again). Yeah, you lose Hover if you want to make a Hover Tank and Arcane Bolt, while still useless as a pool power (gives melee folks a gun) is way better than the other pool powers.

Let's combine what players really like about TP and Flight, give them the best pool power attack in the game AND a buff and a damage effect and a Mes protection/inspiration ... it feels like a pool power that a frustrated player put together based on a wishlist.

Edited by GM Fiddleback

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

I think they've always been intended to be worse than your set powers. They were generally taken to unlock a later power in the pool and didn't have a full attack chain yet or wanted them thematically. This has somewhat changed with the new fighting pool, since the damage increases if you start taking more of them and they get extra benefits (plus recharge on cross punch is nice). If you take both boxing and kick, suddenly cross punch is not that bad in terms of dpa on some classes.  Of course that takes up three power choices.

I was originally going to ask this question, but I decided instead to investigate it myself and then report in instead. I'm not an expert in these things, but offer intel that other people could correct seemed more constructive than just asking the question:

Should anyone ever take a pool power attack? And if so, which one(s)? My answer is currently no, but with a caveat.

MB4WVQF.png

This is a simple sheet comparing Energy Blaster basic attack numbers with Pool Power Attacks. Then three different Controller basic attacks with a representative list of Pool Power Attacks at Controller damage levels. The base damage per click doesn't matter much, though it doesn't really change anything to look at it.

Over time or endurance, pool powers are crippled. These base power set attacks are lowest possible competitors for a power selection and enhancement slots. There's just zero reason to ever take a pool power. If they were 85% of the pool powers, maybe, but 65%?

For a Controller, someone might argue they get a bit of and END improvement and Recovery being a per-second thing and the longer animations on some of the power pool attacks might mean that you are better off clicking a pool power if your endurance is crashing. But you'll lose both DPS (aka the mob will still take longer to die) and you lose the secondary effects of your control attacks. That argument also fails to account for Controller's base powers having improved ACC as well (90% compared to 75%) which again, devistates the pool power DPS numbers further if put into the equation.

CAVEAT

I like to think everything is in the game for a reason and by that logic I used to be fond of Flight/Air Superiority. I figured it did enough damage that along with the knockdown it was worth it. Well, if you find the animation entertaining, or if you are a "always flying" squishy that's trying to keep mobs out of the sky during battle to avoid melee attacks I suppose I might still endorse it. But there are other ways to get a mob out of the sky.

I didn't put up melee characters numbers, but they don't really change anything. If you were a melee character that took a powerset with insanely long animation times (I had an Ice/Axe Tank all the way to end game who knows the suffering this causes at low levels) maybe Boxing... maybe just to have a button to click to make you feel better, not because the mob will fall any faster and then only at low levels. And don't forget you'll have to redraw your weapon!

I'm not suggesting that Pool Powers should be as good as primaries, but if they aren't really close to the lowest end of the primary no one should ever take them (certainly not slot them).

The only thing I didn't explore is whether some of these powers are useful for slotting IOs for global benefit. That's way outside my wheelhouse.

Temporary/Vendor Powers

I don't have the numbers for the Temp Powers. So I have no idea how they stack up, but apart from melee characters pulling with Nemesis Staff or Black Wand... or the very narrow case of fighting undead with the Axe (and allowing for redraw)... I suspect a deep dive into the numbers won't reveal a diamond in the rough. In fact, I'm convinced that Sands of Mu is more of a honey trap than an actual attack power given how long the animation is and its high END cost.

The only advantage Temps really have is that you don't have to purchase them or slot them. I remember being told they "slot themselves" as you go up in levels ... or something like that back in the day. Still, even if they are free, if you have a complete attack chain then clicking on one of these is always a set down and backwards.

Final Note about Sorcery

What gives? This pool is better than Flying in every way accept Group Fly (which in my entire game play in the old days someone tried once in Shadow Shard and after a couple of people fell to their death we never tried again). Yeah, you lose Hover if you want to make a Hover Tank and Arcane Bolt, while still useless as a pool power (gives melee folks a gun) is way better than the other pool powers.

Let's combine what players really like about TP and Flight, give them the best pool power attack in the game AND a buff and a damage effect and a Mes protection/inspiration ... it feels like a pool power that a frustrated player put together based on a wishlist.

Gloom, from Soul Mastery, features in many optimized attack chains (though I note this is a Patron power, not a 'generic pool power'.

Leap Attack, by virtue of being a decent damage PBAOE available at a reasonably low level, is a staple of more than one leveling build - whether or not it gets trained out later on depends on what else is going with the build and feel/theme/flavor.

Air Superiority appeals on my all-ranged-attacks Sentinel, for reasons that should be self explanatory.

Boxing, Kick, and Cross-Punch taken together do not a scrapper make - but Cross-Punch will be a decent AOE, given the other two.

More broadly, pool attacks serve as a 'tax' on later powers from the pool - boxing exists to make Weave require 3 and Tough 2.

Finally, as you note, pool attacks can serve as 'slot mules' for various IO sets that provide desired bonuses, and where room in the normal powers is lacking.

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

I don't take pool power attacks unless I have a reason to -- usually so I can get to a later power.  The lone exception might be Spring Attack since having a teleport AoE attack is pretty cool, even if it's a pretty weak one compared to any other.

Fighting Pool Tough & Weave are good for increasing resistance and defense, and you have to take Boxing or Kick to get there, but I never use them for anything.

Leadership Maneuvers is also good for increasing defense.  A lot of defense-capped builds use both Maneuvers and Weave and often Scorpion Shield from the Mace patron pools for squishies like Blasters or Defenders.  Most of the other powers in Leadership are also very popular -- Assault, Tactics, Vengeance.  If you want to make a Blaster/Defender/Corruptor etc with insta-snipe, you'll probably need Tactics.

Speed Hasten & Super Speed are probably the two most popular pool powers period.

Sorcery -- the best thing about sorcery is Rune of Protection, massive resistance clicky with mez protection.  I mean I agree that Mystic Flight is kind of better than Fly or Teleport in one power, but not everyone likes Fly as a travel power to begin with, and if you're an RP purist you have to deal with the weird mystical rune animations.  But for me, I like fly and I love Rune of Protection so this is an awesome pool.  The buff is a place to slot a healing global, nothing more.

Those are the pool powers I use most often but there are valid reasons to take Concealment or Leaping (Spring Attack, and Combat Jumping pairs very well with Super Speed and is another "add defense" power).  Medicine is a nice pool for certain sets that don't have any inherit self-heal or people that want to add extra support to their build.  Ditto for Presence or Teleportation I guess, those are not very popular pools but they can add an extra dimension of support/team usefulness to the right kind of character.

For attacks, I'd say Spring Attack is somewhat useful as a supplemental AoE and the teleport part of the attack can be useful in crowded hallways, and Air Superiority always had fans since it was so good at knocking enemies down.  But other than that I don't consider pool attacks worth looking at, myself... until you get to you Ancillary/Epic/Patron power pools, some of those attacks are quite awesome.  ^_^

Rolled a blaster to try the fighting pool attacks (took all 3 attacks)- Boxing and Kick still felt very lacklustre, although Crosspunch actually felt pretty decent (damage wasn't huge, but satisfying and with a chance to stun and knockdown). Toyed with the idea of Boxing with the buffed chance to stun (from taking the other attacks) replacing Brawl and stacking stuns with other attacks but I don't know how well it'd go.

For attacks, I'd say Spring Attack is somewhat useful as a supplemental AoE and the teleport part of the attack can be useful in crowded hallways

I'm planning on taking Spring Attack on a Street Justice tanker, to increase AoE aggro (and knock punks down!). Hoping it won't be a letdown!

I often take Air Superiority on a tanker, especially if nothing else stands out.  Not for the damage - for the control.

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I'll echo that air superiority is actually pretty underrated. It has guaranteed knockdown, as well as -fly. The knockdown is immediate soft control that works on many higher ranked enemies that resist other 'hard' controls. The -Fly is situational, but useful when fighting annoying 'fly awaaay!' enemies. It's got a quick enough animation, reasonable damage for the added perks, and is a nice add-in when you want a flying character but have no use for hover.

Air Superiority is a must with my Fire/Storm Controller.

Knocking those pesky flyers out of the air so my imps can get to them.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

I haven't taken it this go around but I remember Leaping's Spring Attack being really fun. Come crashing down into a group of enemies from above is a good feeling.

It's also a useful power on a stone tank/brute. It's teleport.. WITH DAMAGE! :)

• Thanks 1

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

Since mentioning it was an option on a different thread, I have been experimenting with Fighting on a Thugs/Dark mastermind to see how bad it really is.  So far I've taken it to level 20.

At level 20, unenhanced, here is how my powers have performed vs. Longbow minions in Architect Enertaiment's test mode:

Boxing: 4.42 end, 2.5 recharge, 1.07 cast, 12.33 dmg, 3.45 dps, 2.79 dpe.

Kick: 4.94 end, 3.0 recharge, 1.83 cast, 13.63 dmg, 2.82 dps, 2.76 dpe.

Cross Punch: 10.66 end, 8.0 recharge, 1.67 cast, 20.62 dmg, 2.13 dps, 1.93 dpe.

Pistols: 6.50 end, 3.0 recharge, 1.20 cast, 12.48 dmg, 2.96 dps, 1.92 dpe.

Dual Wield: 8.58 end, 6.0 recharge, 1.20 cast, 2*8.23 dmg, 2.29 dps 1.92 dpe.

Empty Clips: 18.98 end, 8.0 recharge, 1.83 cast, 3*3.28 dmg, 1.11 dps, 0.52 dpe.

Damage numbers were read from the combat log and not the tooltip since it appears Longbow minions have a tiny bit of smashing and lethal resistance.

But from how it appears, the fighting pool set is totally worth it for masterminds.  I replaced the three pistol attacks with all three fighting attacks (and used a second build to test the pistol attacks). So the 30% bonus damage is in effect. I also get a 35% stun chance with boxing, 40% knockdown chance with kick, and both a 20% stun and 40% knockdown with cross punch.  So what I lack in range I make up for in extra damage and control.

But do keep in mind a lot of a mastermind's dps output still comes from the minions.

I am tempted to also try this out with some brand of controller and see what happens.  The thing with most DPS building is that you boil down to attack chains instead of just using single attacks.  4 seconds between each basic control attack means there is more than enough time to fit a boxing and kick combo between each of your immobilize attacks, for a lot of extra damage while endurance lasts.  Also, controllers have an inherent Containment power that increases damage to controlled targets.  Fighting looks like it might be a good way to use this feature well.

Almost all Controller attacks are dots, though there are exceptions. Selecting 1 Pool Power, which should probably be Air Superiority or Arcane Bolt, provides a vital attack chain fill as well as soft control and diversifying damage type. Even on a blaster I used to have Air Superiority because he was a blapper hybrid and it was part of his attack chain to knock a foe down and then (I'm foggy here) I think he used his snipe at point blank range taking advantage of the stand-up time. (This was before fast cast sniping).

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

I haven't taken it this go around but I remember Leaping's Spring Attack being really fun. Come crashing down into a group of enemies from above is a good feeling.

Can confirm, Spring Attack is a fun AoE that does good knockdown. Great for tanks, it compliments Foot Stomp when it's on cooldown. The only thing I don't like about it is that often I end up miles away by accident because it's not PBAoE. :D

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

Arcane Bolt comes in super handy for Controllers like Earth/* that don't have a solid single target attack chain or for builds that tend to skip their single target root.

back in the days: Zukunft (EU) ... nowadays: Everlasting

I really can't agree with your conclusion.  You don't seem to look past the raw numbers at all to how people use these powers.

Okay, this is the first problem.  When I played a controller, my priorities were a) lock everyone down, b) defeat them.  Usually, I'd start with a fast-refresh group mez, then lock down the mobs individually.  Then I would start actually trying to deal damage.

While I think it's pretty fair to compare the controller immobilizes to pool powers for DPS, comparing the single target holds seems a bit foolish.  Personally, as a controller, I always slot those with one accuracy, three hold duration, and two recharge.  I think that most people would do the same.  That gets more complicated with IOs, but usually with those it would be a hold-type set, which never enhance damage.  Same goes for the controller regular use AE mezzes.  The AE holds don't deal damage.  So for a controller to deal damage, they are left with single target immobilize, AE immobilize (massively endurance inefficient for solo play), pets, and 0-2 other powers (Haunt, Volcanic Gasses, Jolting Chain, Hot Feet and Bonfire, Lift and Propel, Ice has none, Spectral Wounds and Phantom Army, Levitate, Plant has none).  And pets and toggles don't count in attack chains.

So most controllers can't put together a single target damaging attack chain out of primary powers.  Gravity might be able to, but that's mostly due to the long animation time on Propel.  Which means pool powers should not be compared to primary powers, they should be compared to idle time.  And in that comparison they certainly do more damage.

My conclusion: It is very reasonable for most controllers to take a power pool attack for damaging purposes.

CAVEAT

My own experiences with power pool attacks:  I have used Air Superiority on a controller.  I have used Jump Kick on another controller (and I have to agree with Adeon Hawkwood that the animation was annoying).  I have used Boxing on a Brute and a Scrapper and I took Boxing on a Blapper.  Each time to get to Tough.  The scrapper was Martial Arts and fit it into a fast attack chain.  The brute was Stone armor and was fighting the recharge reduction of Granite Armor to get an attack chain going.  Adding an extra quick attack helped maintain Fury.

Here's my quick analysis of the topic.

Boxing -> Melee Damage, Stuns

Kick -> Melee Damage, Knockback

Cross Punch -> Targeted AoE, Stuns, Knockback

Air Superiority -> Melee Damage

Jump Kick -> Melee Damage, Knockback

Spring Attack -> PBAoE Damage

Flurry -> Melee Damage, Stuns

Arcane Bolt -> Ranged Damage, Knockback

So all we have to do is look at Melee Damage, Ranged Damage, Targeted AoE Damage, PBAoE Damage, Stuns, and Knockback.  Anybody can slot melee damage sets into Brawling, so power pools wouldn't add much there.  I think everybody can get a ranged damage attack and targeted AoE either in primary, secondary, or ancillary.  So with a quick look, it might be nice to slot in some Absolute Amazement as someone with no Stuns.  Maybe some Armageddon for someone with limited access to PBAoEs.  I don't see any convenient Globals that would be nice to slot in there.

Temporary/Vendor Powers

Sands of Mu can be very nice if you can catch two guys next to each other at low levels.  Which you can almost always do if you game the AI.  I've used it into higher levels too, but never into endgame that I can recall.

Final Note about Sorcery

By the numbers, I agree with you.  But that said, I've only taken Sorcery on one character now, and I haven't played that one enough to come to conclusions about how it works.

On the topic of the Flight pool...

We can only take up to four different pools. The Flight pool's advantages over Sorcery are: Hover for more defense and fine control, Afterburner for a speed boost and bootleg/personal force field, and primarily because both Hover and Afterburner can be used as LotG mules.

Many builds shine when you can slot five LotG global recharges but not every build has enough defense powers to slot them. The Flight pool helps in that regard.

Don't get me wrong Sorcery is great for many reasons, but Flight has its place/purpose too. Every character doesn't need Rune of Protection.

As for pool attacks in general...

Arcane Bolt is good, Crosspunch is really good with all the upgrades (equivalent to Haymaker but its also a melee cone aoe), Air Superiority is decent, Flurry looks cool. Understand that melee AT's are going to scoff at all but Crosspunch and even in that case, its probably not worth grabbing for them because you have to take boxing and kick to upgrade it.

It's primarily controllers and masterminds that might be tempted by attacks from the pools because their attack options are often limited and the damage the pool attacks offer is often comparable to their other attack options.

Could most pool attack stand to have their damage increased a bit? Absolutely.

7hZ6srn.png

Kyriani-Nic-Jem

I believe I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but damage type is a factor in choosing attacks from power pools.  Arcane Bolt is great for Gravity controllers because it allows them to do energy damage against foes highly resistant to smashing damage.  Likewise, a Fire sentinel might like one (or more) of the Fighting pool powers for use when fighting foes highly resistant to fire.

As for the Sorcery pool...it is really, really good, but I think that was the original design intent for Sorcery (and the other origin-themed pools that haven’t been implemented).  However, there are niches for all the other pools where you may want to use them instead.  Plus, not every power in Sorcery is useful to every character.  Rune of Protection is a great panic button, but many people build characters in a way where they don’t feel they need panic buttons.  I just got Spirit Ward, and according to the info screen it only lasts for 15 seconds...useful, but without a LOT of recharge you won’t have it running all the time, and your other power chains would suffer if you did use it every 15 seconds.

My only gripe with Air Superiority is that it doesn't chain well with Mind Control's Levitate Power (Or Lift from Gravity Control). The animations are so long that in order to chain them, the foe would have to fly over 50 feet in the air (where you'd be floating overhead), but if you're lifting them that high, they're probably -10 (at least) to you and are gonna die from the levitate attack in the first place.

Of course, that's probably more an issue with the animation of Levitate/Lift. Still, made me SUPER sad that I couldn't fling a foe into the air then knock him back down.

Edited by EmperorSteele
spelling
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later

Focused Accuracy is insanely expensive in Endurance terms, but it would possibly (only POSSIBLY!) be worthwhile at HALF that cost.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

Can confirm, Spring Attack is a fun AoE that does good knockdown. Great for tanks, it compliments Foot Stomp when it's on cooldown. The only thing I don't like about it is that often I end up miles away by accident because it's not PBAoE. :D

This should be the right set up for that:

/macroimage Jump_SpringAttack powexeclocation target Spring Attack

If I have that right, it will create a macro with the Spring Attack icon, that when clicked will activate on your current target.

• Like 1

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

This should be the right set up for that:

/macroimage Jump_SpringAttack powexeclocation target Spring Attack

If I have that right, it will create a macro with the Spring Attack icon, that when clicked will activate on your current target.

Holy smokes! THanks a lot. I look forward to trying it.