Focused Feedback: Teleportation Pool Revamp

Jimmy

• City Council

This is a Focused Feedback Thread

• Please note that Focused Feedback threads are heavily moderated to ensure they remain on topic.
    • Any off-topic posts in these threads will be removed without warning.
    • The thread will be locked when no more feedback is required, but you are more than welcome to continue the discussion in a new thread.
  • The most up-to-date version of the changes will be listed in the first post.
  • The changes in each build will be posted as replies.
    • Changes from the previous beta build are listed in green.
      • Green text will become white text in the next set of patch notes.
    • Any changes or fixes that are only relevant to the beta builds are listed in blue.
      • Blue text will be deleted in the next set of patch notes as it is only relevant to highlight changes between beta builds, not a changes from live.
    • Known issues are listed in purple.

Pool Powerset Revamp: Teleportation

Teleportation has been considered one of the least desirable pools for a while (outside of specific uses, like Stone Armor) due to the wide availability of other travel options. In order to make the set more appealing, we've added two new powers with new mechanics. Combat Teleport emulates the feeling of Speed of Sound's Jaunt to quickly traverse the battlefield without the endurance cost burden of an active travel power, whilst Fold Space introduces a new way to play in melee - bring the enemies to you, instead of going to them!

To make room for these, Recall Friend and Teleport Foe have been combined into one power and Long Range Teleport has been removed from the set and is now an unlockable Accolade power.

Power Changes

• Teleportation_RecallTeleport.png.6f11238cb1e9a8151d5bd2adc8cf2886.png Teleport Target (Replaces Recall Friend)
    • Now combines the functionality of Recall Friend and Teleport Foe
    • If you previously had Recall Friend, you'll now have Teleport Target
  • Combat_Teleport.png.aea719bb22d4911ea1aa202651b0da0c.png Combat Teleport (Replaces Teleport Foe)
    • A quick-casting, short-ranged (100ft) teleport designed to be used in combat
    • The range of this power can be enhanced, but it cannot be buffed or debuffed by set bonuses or other powers
    • This power can be activated up to 3 times in a row before it triggers a cooldown
    • This power grants a small ToHit buff to your next attack
    • If you previously had Teleport Foe, you'll now have Combat Teleport
    • Fixed procs not working in Combat Teleport
  • Teleportation_Teleport.png.eeeec095e2005a7fc7b5a36a012dce5c.png Teleport
    • This power now grants a 4s untouchable buff
      • If you attack while this buff is active, both the Untouchable buff and the Hover buff will be cancelled
      • If you have been in combat in the last 10 seconds, phase will not be triggered
      • In PvP, using teleport 3 times within a 30 second window will trigger No Phase
  • Teleportation_GroupTeleport.png.3eab08633c7da2ba31708b9a999e4baa.png Team Teleport
    • Endurance cost reduced from 20 to 16
  • Teleportation_FoldSpace.png.04825380c32efb8345db1788d7d52cfa.png Fold Space (Replaces Long Range Teleport)
    • This power will teleport foes from the nearby area into melee range
      • Line of sight is required
      • 100ft range, 16 targets max, prioritizes closer targets
    • Long Range Teleport has been removed from the Teleportation pool and is now an Accolade power
      • If you previously had Long Range Teleport, you'll now have Fold Space
      • See the Long Range Teleporter section below for more information

Warshades

• 1092933564_UmbralAura_ShadowRecall(1).png.0f2dec4a258f43e507d651c83b28ecc7.png Inherent / Umbral Aura > Shadow Recall
    • Now functions the same as Teleport Target, and has a new icon to match (previously this power mirrored Recall Friend)
  • 810640279_UmbralBlast_StarlessStep(1).png.5dd7b402c7466d549b153ce54e1d50a3.png Umbral Blast > Starless Step
    • Now functions the same as Combat Teleport, and has a new icon to match (previously this power mirrored Teleport Foe)
  • 1050270741_UmbralAura_ShadowSlip(1).png.dc43ba81628010c25de9831b1d0610bf.png Umbral Aura > Shadow Slip
    • Now functions the same as Fold Space, and has a new icon to match (previously this power mirrored Long Range Teleport)
  • Fixed the Shadow Step and Shadow Recall icons being inverted 

Other Changes

• Reduce the occurence of the red ring cursor when choosing a teleport destination
    • It is now possible to teleport to some locations even if the camera loses line of sight to the player

Command: /powexec_location

• Several improvements have been made to /powexec_location to make it more reliable when used with teleportation powers
    • Directional and terrain-following mode are more robust and less likely to stop short of the full distance
    • Target mode no longer requires line of sight to the target, so long as the target is in a location that is a valid teleport destination
    • Target mode no longer tries to occupy the same space as the target - instead it selects a location as close as possible to the target without being pushed away
  • Fixed being able to teleport inside geometry with this command
  • Now much less likely to fizzle with teleport powers
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• City Council

Build 1 - October 24th, 2020

Spoiler

Pool Powerset Revamp: Teleportation

Teleportation has been considered one of the least desirable pools for a while (outside of specific uses, like Stone Armor) due to the wide availability of other travel options. In order to make the set more appealing, we've added two new powers with new mechanics. Combat Teleport emulates the feeling of Speed of Sound's Jaunt to quickly traverse the battlefield without the endurance cost burden of an active travel power, whilst Fold Space introduces a new way to play in melee - bring the enemies to you, instead of going to them!

To make room for these, Recall Friend and Teleport Foe have been combined into one power and Long Range Teleport has been removed from the set and is now an unlockable Accolade power.

Power Changes

• Teleportation_RecallTeleport.png.6f11238cb1e9a8151d5bd2adc8cf2886.png Teleport Target (Replaces Recall Friend)
    • Now combines the functionality of Recall Friend and Teleport Foe
    • If you previously had Recall Friend, you'll now have Teleport Target
  • Combat_Teleport.png.aea719bb22d4911ea1aa202651b0da0c.png Combat Teleport (Replaces Teleport Foe)
    • A quick-casting, short-ranged (100ft) teleport designed to be used in combat
    • The range of this power can be enhanced, but it cannot be buffed or debuffed by set bonuses or other powers
    • This power can be activated up to 3 times in a row before it triggers a cooldown
    • This power grants a small ToHit buff to your next attack
    • If you previously had Teleport Foe, you'll now have Combat Teleport
  • Teleportation_Teleport.png.eeeec095e2005a7fc7b5a36a012dce5c.png Teleport
    • This power now grants a 4s untouchable buff
      • If you attack while this buff is active, both the Untouchable buff and the Hover buff will be cancelled
      • If you have been in combat in the last 10 seconds, phase will not be triggered
      • In PvP, using teleport 3 times within a 30 second window will trigger No Phase
  • Teleportation_GroupTeleport.png.3eab08633c7da2ba31708b9a999e4baa.png Team Teleport
    • Endurance cost reduced from 20 to 16
  • Teleportation_FoldSpace.png.04825380c32efb8345db1788d7d52cfa.png Fold Space (Replaces Long Range Teleport)
    • This power will teleport foes from the nearby area into melee range
      • Line of sight is required
      • 100ft range, 16 targets max, prioritizes closer targets
    • Long Range Teleport has been removed from the Teleportation pool and is now an Accolade power
      • If you previously had Long Range Teleport, you'll now have Fold Space
      • See the Long Range Teleporter section below for more information

Warshades

• 1092933564_UmbralAura_ShadowRecall(1).png.0f2dec4a258f43e507d651c83b28ecc7.png Inherent / Umbral Aura > Shadow Recall
    • Now functions the same as Teleport Target, and has a new icon to match (previously this power mirrored Recall Friend)
  • 810640279_UmbralBlast_StarlessStep(1).png.5dd7b402c7466d549b153ce54e1d50a3.png Umbral Blast > Starless Step
    • Now functions the same as Combat Teleport, and has a new icon to match (previously this power mirrored Teleport Foe)
  • 1050270741_UmbralAura_ShadowSlip(1).png.dc43ba81628010c25de9831b1d0610bf.png Umbral Aura > Shadow Slip
    • Now functions the same as Fold Space, and has a new icon to match (previously this power mirrored Long Range Teleport)

• Like 2

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Also of note: the /powexec_location command no longer requires line of sight when used with the “target” parameter, meaning you can set up a bind with Teleport and Combat Teleport to teleport directly to a teammate, as long as they’re in range.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

Please remove the cooldown of combat teleport, kinda defeats the purpose.

It is no different from the martial tele-attack, which itself has its own cooldown. Considering this is a pool power, a cooldown is very reasonable I feel.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hew said:

It is no different from the martial tele-attack, which itself has its own cooldown. Considering this is a pool power, a cooldown is very reasonable I feel.

The martial ATTACK has a cooldown yes. This isn't an attack, we NEED it to be a USABLE combat movement power like combat jumping and hover offer.

If you've ever tried to move in a battlefield during a fight, you'll know how having a cooldown on a power like this REALLY defeats it's usage.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Have you tested the power in combat, @WindDemon21? I find I never actually hit the threshold that triggers the cooldown.

How would it be that different than jaunt if it coolsdown after 3 tries. For example when chasing a runner that is constantly running from you. No issue for combat jumping, but this with a cooldown is a big deal.

Also when trying to use for positioning for cone attacks, or a tanker trying to move around a mob to get/keep aggro.

Remove the to hit buff to get rid of the cooldown fine, but this power needs to not have a cooldown and have a fast animation to be able to replace needing combat jumping/hover to traverse a battlefield.

Thanks for not forgetting about us Warshades with these teleportation changes. 😅

Initial thoughts... Starless Step having a small to-hit bonus, especially for Warshades, is actually nice as it will help ensure our Mires/Eclipse have a greater chance to hit more targets when we initiate combat.

Shadow Slip (fold space clone) having a 2 min base recharge AND an accuracy check has me questioning it's usefulness though. I typically have 1 or 2 mule spots in any of my WS builds but seldom have slots to spare so I may not end up using this despite it being a cool party trick if nothing else. I will have to play around with it some more.

• Like 6

Just now, Earnest Victory said:

What sort of range does Teleport Target have? Is it as good an option for helping my friends with their commute across a zone as Recall Friend?

It should be absolutely identical to both of those previous powers.  Definitely post any differences from the two powers it's replacing!

42 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

How would it be that different than jaunt if it coolsdown after 3 tries. For example when chasing a runner that is constantly running from you. No issue for combat jumping, but this with a cooldown is a big deal.

Also when trying to use for positioning for cone attacks, or a tanker trying to move around a mob to get/keep aggro.

Remove the to hit buff to get rid of the cooldown fine, but this power needs to not have a cooldown and have a fast animation to be able to replace needing combat jumping/hover to traverse a battlefield.

The cooldown is 6 seconds unenhanced. I've been making copious use of it and hardly noticed it.

I quite like the changes to teleport, but I would like to suggest a couple small changes to make it more of a viable alternative to Flight/Leaping.

1) Add a minor Defense buff to combat teleport - (Matching the bonus from Combat Jumping/Hover).  I know, I know, - power creep....but hear me out.

Right now, it's a "fun" power to be sure, but I don't see it as a competitive alternative for defense builds.  To have tamp down "softcap everything!" maybe we could have Hover, Combat Jumping, and Combat Teleport changed so that instead of granting a defense buff on their own, they apply a separate buff power to the caster (name suggestions: "On the Move", "Float Like a Butterfly") with a 20 second duration that doesn't stack with itself.  That way, having any one of the toggles would constantly refresh the duration to keep it up, and jumping around in a fight would have more purpose. But you'd get the same defense benefit with either one or all three Combat Movement powers in your build, so there's less reason to feel like you *have* to get leaper, or flight.

2)Fold Space - Awesome power, I love it!  Only change I would suggest (and this also applies to Gravity Control/Wormhole - which has the same Mag) is to bump up the mag slightly so that it can also move +4 bosses. 

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

• Like 11

Excelsior

ExAstris - Arachnos Widow

Pulp Noir - Illusion/Psy Assault

Perspective - Illusion/TA

Madame Elena - Rad/Bio (Scrapper)

I'm glad this pool is getting a revamp.

Suggestion 1:  Grant to Combat Teleport a minor 60-second defense buff similar to the perma-buff offered by Combat Jumping and Hover.  Allow it to slot Defense enhancements.  If he Combat Teleports multiple times, the timer would start over.

Suggestion 2: Grant to Teleport an "aloft" characteristic which would allow a teleporter to maintain his teleported position for up to 30 seconds.  While aloft, the player could rotate, but not move.  Well, the only motion would be to release the aloft state by pressing the space bar, teleporting again, or combat teleporting (with no aloft, but the minor defense buff).  He can attack and be attacked while aloft, just as someone Hovering would..  If teleporting to the ground (or any standable location, such as roof), there would be no aloft state.

Edited by cohRock
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

-- Rock

Two questions for Warshades:

1: Is it intentional that warshade's inherent teleport ability does not get the untouchable status? If so, why?

2: Is it at all possible that starless step could be allowed to work while shapeshifted? That would be pretty awesome.

Feedback so far:

1: Fold space is awesome, love it.

2: I'm in agreement that combat teleport should just have defense. I don't really see the +tohit as being desirable or useful outside of extremely niche situations.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Doomrider said:

Thanks for not forgetting about us Warshades with these teleportation changes. 😅

Initial thoughts... Starless Step having a small to-hit bonus, especially for Warshades, is actually nice as it will help ensure our Mires/Eclipse have a greater chance to hit more targets when we initiate combat.

Shadow Slip (fold space clone) having a 2 min base recharge AND an accuracy check has me questioning it's usefulness though. I typically have 1 or 2 mule spots in any of my WS builds but seldom have slots to spare so I may not end up using this despite it being a cool party trick if nothing else. I will have to play around with it some more.

Copied my 50 WS over.

My first impression was "Meh. Shadow Recall's far more useful." Mostly because I was thinking of my primary use for it - yoinking a Quantum over to stick in a gravity well and slap around. Plus, as mentioned, it does have a much faster recharge.

Shadow Slip is going to take a little getting used to (and I can see some teams complaining, honestly,) but - once you have mire and eclipse? *Niiiiiiiiiice.* Yoink everything, eclipse, mire, kill. It might be better in some instances than Wormhole, as the mobs stay right where you put them. (And I'm not one to complain about KB.) WHich, given the cooldowns on Mire and Eclipse, makes ITS cooldown not so bad. For safety's sake, though, maybe a 2-3 second disorient can be applied to the mobs?

One wish list item. Have this available in Dwarf form. If I'm off tanking and someone's in trouble? Being able to pull the entire mob to me like that ... I'd be grinning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.