Ranged Location Powers

Spectre7878

So I have a love hate relationship with these types of power. Sometimes they make sense and  other times not so much. Powers like Freezing Rain, Rain of Fire, Ice Storm I think should just be a targeted AoE. Things like master mind pets I get could be target location. Overall I would prefer that they would make some of the powers into targeted powers instead of location. I am not a huge fan of constantly clicking power and then clicking the area. It’s starts to hurt my hands using the mouse like that. One of my main toons is a Electric-Storm controller and she has a lot of location powers. 😞

I felt similar until I realized you can bind these to cast on your location or on a target. Have you looked into that?

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Bind_(Slash_Command)

Global Handle: @Future Force Warrior

Level 50s: Operative Grantz (Pure Bane/Mace Mastery), Dr. Eisenfield (Gravity/Time/Mu), Air Liquide (Ice/Kin/Soul), Vantablack Stare (Illusion/Traps/Ice), Medic 2004 (Empathy/Energy/Soul)

All on Everlasting

/macro Bon powexec_location target Bonfire

Will make a macro that drops Bonfire under your currently selected target.

/bind lctrl+lbutton powexec_name Bonfire

Means that holding control and clicking on the ground will drop a bonfire at that location, assuming it's within the powers activation range.

Adjust binds and macro as necessary for the powers and key combinations you want.

You an get MUCH fancier with macros and binds using bind_load and macro images, but that's outside my zone of experience.

• Thanks 1

I like to bind powexec_location target to the place in the tray I have the power. that way I can just use that key for dropping on my target but I still have the power there where I can click and drop situationally and see the recharge countdown on it. e.g. /bind alt+3 powexec_location target bonfire for tray 2 slot 3.

• Like 1

i truly suck at macros and keybinds beyond the most basic.  so i abandoned loc aoe powersets

for instance i never figured how to use the target locator for specific mobs.  but i spent years in game and know their patterns and spawning areas.  i don't know why i do things the way i do.

Edited by Snarky

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

for instance i never figured how to use the target locator for specific mobs.  but i spent years in game and know their patterns and spawning areas.  i don't know why i do things the way i do.

i /bind p beginchat /bind v targetcustomnext . make sure to leave a space after. i hit p, type the first few characters of what i'm looking for ('gene' for the itf generals is oddly satisfying) and hit enter. then i can spam v to find them. obviously you can use different keys but i find that's much easier than doing a macro or redoing a bind each time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

i /bind p beginchat /bind v targetcustomnext . make sure to leave a space after. i hit p, type the first few characters of what i'm looking for ('gene' for the itf generals is oddly satisfying) and hit enter. then i can spam v to find them. obviously you can use different keys but i find that's much easier than doing a macro or redoing a bind each time.

This is so clever. I like!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

i will try this it makes sense thanks

although in the itf i tend to kill the surgeons and engineers.  by how they look and how they hide.  i am a truffle hunter with surgeons

• Like 1

I agree.  I would only use these for pet-summoning powers if it wasn't for the /bind command.   But with the command, I use them just as I would a targeted AoE.

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

12 hours ago, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

I like to bind powexec_location target to the place in the tray I have the power. that way I can just use that key for dropping on my target but I still have the power there where I can click and drop situationally and see the recharge countdown on it. e.g. /bind alt+3 powexec_location target bonfire for tray 2 slot 3.

This is how I do it too. Row 1 is the Macro, above each is the actual power. 

On my Ice/Fire Blaster row 1 is all "powexec_location self" for the Rains, because he's a blapper anyway. Row 2 holds the powers themselves and above again is the "powexec_location target" version (for when I'm scaredy-cat and wanna dump Blizzard on them before closing in). 

• Like 1

The Slash command is a huge QoL for me. I like to play with both hands on the keyboard, so having to search for my mouse to drop a patch was a hassle.

• Like 2

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

the powexec_location target macro has been a lifesaver for me. 

I have a Dual Pistols/Martial Combat whose theme is he's a teleporter. I run Speed of Sound full time with Jaunt macro'd to current target. So I can teleport to them and kick them in the face. And I have a macro named Retreat that is Jaunt with the location set to 50 feet straight backwards. 

just a tip, you can bind the numeric keys and then you can also see the cooldown... For example, I use /bind 0 PowExecLocation Self Phantom Army and it triggers the cooldown without the extra step of saying "I want them here"

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

5 minutes ago, ClawsandEffect said:

the powexec_location target macro has been a lifesaver for me. 

I have a Dual Pistols/Martial Combat whose theme is he's a teleporter. I run Speed of Sound full time with Jaunt macro'd to current target. So I can teleport to them and kick them in the face. And I have a macro named Retreat that is Jaunt with the location set to 50 feet straight backwards. 

With Combat TP you could do the same strategy but get a bonus ToHit on your retreat...

On 11/24/2020 at 2:25 PM, Zepp said:

With Combat TP you could do the same strategy but get a bonus ToHit on your retreat...

Ive been playing with combat teleport and target location macro but there two I am having trouble with creating.

Target ally with combat teleport 

The other Iam having trouble creating. Is a macro that automaticlly targets location 50 -100ft  in front of you. So you dont have to click the ground just tp forward. Ive believe I have seen this done with shield charge and lightning rod but cant find the info to create the macro / bind.

Edited by Ironscarlet

50 minutes ago, Ironscarlet said:

Ive been playing with combat teleport and target location macro but there two I am having trouble with creating.

Target ally with combat teleport 

The other Iam having trouble creating. Is a macro that automaticlly targets location 50 -100ft  in front of you. So you dont have to click the ground just tp forward. Ive believe I have seen this done with shield charge and lightning rod but cant find the info to create the macro / bind.

/bind k "TargetCustomNext Friend$$PowExecLocation Target Combat Teleport"

This should allow you to CT to your closest ally with the stroke of K.

/bind k PowExecLocation Target Combat Teleport

This will CT you to whatever you have currently targeted (object, enemy, ally, pet).

/bind j PowExecLocation Camera:Max Teleport

This will allow you to TP forward the maximum distance in the direction the camera is facing (change Max to 50 or 100 to make it 50' or 100'). You can also change camera to forward, back, left, right, up, down (or a number, 0 is forward, 90 is right, 180 is back, 270 is left, but you have 360 choices, for nuance).

[I have a toon that has /bind j powexeclocation target Burst of Speed /bind k powexeclocation 180:80 Combat Teleport; this allows me to [J]ump into melee and then [K]ick back to max range to blast them to smithereens from a safe distance.]

Edited by Zepp

26 minutes ago, Zepp said:
Spoiler

/bind k "TargetCustomNext Friend$$PowExecLocation Target Combat Teleport"

This should allow you to CT to your closest ally with the stroke of K.

/bind k PowExecLocation Target Combat Teleport

This will CT you to whatever you have currently targeted (object, enemy, ally, pet).

/bind j PowExecLocation Camera:Max Teleport

This will allow you to TP forward the maximum distance in the direction the camera is facing (change Max to 50 or 100 to make it 50' or 100'). You can also change camera to forward, back, left, right, up, down (or a number, 0 is forward, 90 is right, 180 is back, 270 is left, but you have 360 choices, for nuance).

[I have a toon that has /bind j powexeclocation target Burst of Speed /bind k powexeclocation 180:80 Combat Teleport; this allows me to [J]ump into melee and then [K]ick back to max range to blast them to smithereens from a safe distance.]

Thx that helped a lot.

42 minutes ago, Ironscarlet said:

Thx that helped a lot.

Just a warning (and to be clear), I haven't actually tested /bind k "TargetCustomNext Friend$$PowExecLocation Target Combat Teleport" yet.

On 11/23/2020 at 5:22 PM, Spectre7878 said:

So I have a love hate relationship with these types of power. Sometimes they make sense and  other times not so much. Powers like Freezing Rain, Rain of Fire, Ice Storm I think should just be a targeted AoE. Things like master mind pets I get could be target location. Overall I would prefer that they would make some of the powers into targeted powers instead of location.

/jranger

Okay, slightly kidding, I've just never /jrangered a thought before.  The power!  

Here's why I'm not a fan of that suggestion.  Powers like these are absolutely stellar for controlling mobs moving from a broad fighting area to a narrower one.  For example, there's that one Council room that keeps showing up in Striga Task Forces:  the one where you enter through a narrow hallway into a large open room slammed packed with Council.  It's often a death room for careless or inexperienced players who charge through the hall into the thick of the crowd.  But be contrary-wise, have a shot or two through the hall to tag a mob, then drop Freezing Rain into the hall, and you now have a mass killing opportunity as 1/3 of that room tries to run the bottleneck, forced through the Freezing Rain.

As another scenario, you're fighting in one of the broader, tan-walled caves.  Your team has bitten off more than they can chew, and a host of enemy leave one of the large endrooms in pursuit.  You pause at the bend in the hallway, because you know the NPCs will take the inner turn of that bend.  Drop Freezing Rain next to the wall, and suddenly the pursuers, slowing, slipping and falling become your next mass slaughter, er...arrest.   Having the ability to place by location gives us the ability to herd the crowd in ways targeted AoE would not. 

• Haha 1

On 11/25/2020 at 9:11 PM, Zepp said:

If you use an angle in degrees, remember that it is relative to how you are facing when the command executes, not an absolute direction (i.e., '0' is not North). I went through some annoyance learning this with the numpad binds for MM pets and wanting to be clever and spacing the pet summons out around me.

I believe the summons generally turn you, se setting them all at 10:10 nay provide good spacing but 20:20 would make you feel isolated by a crown...