The Classic Hero Challenge

ineffablebob

Interesting topic.  I was just commiserating with a fellow in a different thread about how IO sets and incarnate powers make characters feel overpowered and the end-game too easy (and too easy in group combat, as well).

I never played during live, but I've often wished I could find a server that ran without IO sets and incarnates.  This might be the closest I could get to that.  I'm not sure I'm interested in recreating EVERYTHING you mentioned about the game at launch, but I would be quite keen to play a non-incarnate, non-IO set hero in a group setting.  I know of no other groups that run with those restrictions.

Any chance I could get in on this group?  I'd love to try it.  🙂

Yep. Check back a few posts. 🙂 Went with "we don't have issues."

And 0th - I don't remember if mine gave one right away or not, but they will (should) eventually pass you off - think I went from Azuria to Paco Sanchez.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

Yep. Check back a few posts. 🙂 Went with "we don't have issues."

And 0th - I don't remember if mine gave one right away or not, but they will (should) eventually pass you off - think I went from Azuria to Paco Sanchez.

Whom do we contact for SG invite?

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

2 hours ago, Six Six said:

@Greycat Wait, there's an SG now?

Grinding, welcome. and jump right in. I didn't get to play Live as well. I thought I'd try it this way.

Thanks.  I did join the group channel with my low-level (12) blaster, though there was no one on at the time (apparently).  I'll manage to log on at the same time as some of you lot, eventually, though.   Look forward to tackling some bad guys, old school style. 😁

Got that "ol' gang" running in KR:

image.png.d41024cb9ecb4d36cfc3a0841d26e4f7.png

And some pics from our run (NOTE: I totally neglected to get a second shot with Therra before I popped offline for a bit--I was HUNGRY! (apologies).

n_YpO2cKd0dWaxdeifoePnv2Ud6_PaC9-6sb7AFANV3QGrZ5IIIdyayoefe_zucpX7un6gFBcTsbw-BfPyaCRoR4QcqUhlbrV0_SK-7J_hODNIZLfVzaKKx7xPVIdauhgRLzSEsv

Therra gives 'em whut fer while BLASTRO does some slammin'. I have an excellent view of both.:-)

MXSR_5-1K318hCB2BLZfVtx-p66vZX5jPsCZnu1_8-6bqq2oUYpd3Kg5YJJHICPKqVp0c-WMeAdjG8Aja2JMIdyRTQ2kkAzQmnEAAbJ1WO_Q8Jwaq8Lw7pM4zY7YKoj6Al4-AT4S
Both barrels from the Maj, while the other blasters do their thang.

U9Pzbtzc3wnsQq-BApWP3S65cf4m7ch52RRL_ph0oGec0Q86BoM3vvGzT1qHL1ncfbXVrMmeHyEu5sUE0EcUI1e8f5O2Q0fz2QqHOvUtHm7VVP-9z6Xjkbi7xXenOQVBTo21SRaL

Now, this LOOKS like a bit of a miss, but, see, BLASTRO is engaging the fire suppression system. When the Tsoo scatter, we'll pretend to be fire marshalls!:-)

For the record, we were running Thao Ku's arc (28 merits!) (mainly). BLASTRO and I also did the Pastor capstone mish before the Maj and Therra joined.

• What I learned from classic mode today: I learned that when you say of a mob, "They're mostly blues. We should be okay." then dive in, it's not okay, and you faceplant, because this IS your father's Oldsmobile.:-) The challenge on default is sufficient, if you stay away from the bells & whistles. Lovin' it!

Cheers,

Crane

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

1 hour ago, cranebump said:

Whom do we contact for SG invite?

Anyone in the SG has invite permissions - so that entire picture up there, as well as myself. 🙂 (Think I have Tanker 2004 in, too.)

Give a shout on the global channel if you see someone.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

21 minutes ago, Six Six said:

Therra (SG leader) just missed the photo session =(. Quite a fun run. 

Yeah, but we lined up pretty well anyway...

screenshot_201213-12-54-29.jpg

• Like 2

I had a great time!  Felt like my contribution was meaningful and the combat was challenging and fun with a focus on caution and tactics and working together.  So different from playing on teams of high-powered toons with all the bells and whistles, where you just steamroll through content with very little thought.

Who knew self-imposing these kinds of restrictions could be so fun?  It's practically like playing a different game!  😁 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Yeah, but we lined up pretty well anyway...

screenshot_201213-12-54-29.jpg

Great! I was bummed about that.

It's great to see people getting together to enjoy the classic playstyle! I've been fairly busy this weekend so not much in-game time, but should be around a good amount next week. Classic Hero 2004 isn't in the We Have No Issues SG, 'cause she's an Iron Eagle, but she'll move over if I have bad luck and she dies at some point. But do feel free to give a shout out on the global channel if you see me online in the channel members list, I'm always interested in meeting folks who are trying this out!

7 hours ago, 0th Power said:

Anyone have a link to the i0 contacts?

I think all of the origin contacts below level 40 were in there at launch, although some of their locations and missions have been changed. The best place to see them all listed is probably here: https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Stature_Levels.

The original Freedom Phalanx Task Force contacts were in the game: Positron, Synapse, Sister Psyche, Bastion (who became Citadel in Issue 4), Manticore, and Numina. The Sister Psyche TF and the original Positron TF can still be run through Ouroboros.

I think none of the Trials were active at launch except Hamidon, but some of the others might have had some inactive contacts already in the game. Faultline, Terra Volta, Eden, The Hive, and The Abandoned Sewers were already identified as Trial Zones at launch (distinct from the Hazard Zones of Perez, Boomtown, Dark Astoria, and Crey's Folly), and there were brief notes about most of the Trials in the Prima guide, so early versions of them might have been available in Beta (or the devs might have simply shared their plans with the guide's authors). The original Abandoned Sewers Trial was introduced in Issue 1, and TV and Eden were added in Issue 2.

Oh, and the higher level origin store contacts (Penny Preston, Agent Six, Serafina, Holsten Armatige, and Mark IV) were all in the game. They were the only places you could buy the highest levels of SOs, but you had to run a mission for them before they would sell to you.

Edited by Knock!
Added origin store contacts
  • Like 1

Speaking of the higher level store contacts....

I was on another toon last night, my AR/Dev Blaster Jacke Dark, Level 40.  Had 5 missions outstanding from Level 35.

Which just happened to be the unlock missions for the 5 Levels 30-40 Store Contacts, the original source of SOs for those Levels in Issue 0.

Screenshots and Wiki links in the spoiler.

Magic - Brickstown - Serafina
https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Serafina
20201214a.Jacke_Dark.L30_Vendors.1.Brickstown.Magic.Serafina.thumb.jpg.55d6749964b9c7ae15e184d3269f7a5e.jpg

Science - Brickstown - Holsten Armitage
https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Holsten_Armitage
20201214a.Jacke_Dark.L30_Vendors.2.Brickstown.Science.Holsten_Armitage.thumb.jpg.37bc0112bb84a53bdd4f7a94c9a81f20.jpg

Mutation - Founders Falls - Penny Preston
https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Penny_Preston
20201214a.Jacke_Dark.L30_Vendors.3.Founders_Fall.Mutant.Penny_Preston.thumb.jpg.e9cd0ca1ab7c5fe97c7a585c860b7853.jpg

Technology - Founders Falls - Mark IV
https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Mark_IV
20201214a.Jacke_Dark.L30_Vendors.4.Founders_Fall.Technology.Mark_IV.thumb.jpg.271f09f9fb002a19b47a5cf2529699bc.jpg

Natural - Founders Falls - Agent Six
https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Agent_Six
20201214a.Jacke_Dark.L30_Vendors.5.Founders_Fall.Natural.Agent_Six.thumb.jpg.40f423150e8a6e53e9d870955bffe83a.jpg

Edited by Jacke
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Grindingsucks said:

I had a great time!  Felt like my contribution was meaningful and the combat was challenging and fun with a focus on caution and tactics and working together.  So different from playing on teams of high-powered toons with all the bells and whistles, where you just steamroll through content with very little thought.

Who knew self-imposing these kinds of restrictions could be so fun?  It's practically like playing a different game!  😁 

Soooooooo true. No training wheels. I fought small groups of yellow Tsoo in some solo mishes, and got my health ganked a few times. Inspirations count.  No rez? Hospital, buddy, 'cause you can't combine 3 into anything. On the other side of the zone, and don't wanna run back? Take the "hospital" teleport (I'm looking at you Boomtown).:-) Simply not using Ouro, or Mission TP, or any of the travel shortcuts, opens up an entirely different world. Even back on live, I NEVER ran this much content out of Skyway. 

I don't think I'm going back to full on bells & whistles, but I might go with "Classic Lite," so I can run Athletic/Ninja run, etc., on toons that thematically, should have it. For example. ol' Cranebump up there is MA/SR. I really didn't want to take SJ as his travel, since I see him as "low to the ground." But that doesn't fit the challenge, so, c'est la vie. It's still a great tradeoff.

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 1

Had just a few minutes to play this morning and decided, OK, it's time to deal with that cesspool of viral infection. It's only L18 and I'm L19-going-on-20. 4 bodies to burn! First 3, no problem, and got that level in the process. And then...

Doc1.thumb.jpg.66b218b7474dca41e9a977cb22c84477.jpg

OK, we can do this, let's see - his peripheral vision can't be very good in that thing...

Doc2.thumb.jpg.38ea50b33f6f41ee316a1628fb29ac25.jpg

Got it! All four bodies gone, we win! Except...we don't, because the mission doesn't complete. Curse you, time eddy! In 2004 that would have worked, but from the Issue 12 patch notes:

Dr. Vahzilok must now be defeated to complete the Vahzilok Plague story arc.

Well, shoot. I could autocomplete it since I did what a true launch character needed to do, but I think I'll leave it for now and next time I can go on to my new level 20 contacts. It'll be very satisfying to go back someday and beat the snot out of him.

• Like 6

That's what you get for being all smart and stuff!:-)

• Haha 2

In keeping with the Issue 0 spirit but in a round-a-bought way, we should do the old Positron Task Force (L10-15) and the Sister Psyche Task Force (L20-25).  Both are only available via Ouroboros.  Or a Pillar of Ice and Flame in a SG Base.  My SG Bases has them. 🙂

This note on the old Positron Task Force probably applies to both.

Additionally, because The New Recruits is no longer available from Positron himself, the "teleport to contact" option at the Ouroboros Crystals gives an error, "The portal does not know where to send you." However, you can use other means such as supergroup base teleporters or transit lines to travel to the first mission. It is possible to "call" Positron immediately from the beginning of the Flashback.

Which means I'd better get cracking on Jacke Shadowclaw.  He's still Level 4. 🙂

Edited by Jacke

7 minutes ago, Six-Six said:

Oh, and I found fresh meat. Bumped into @Grshoppa (global) in Reunion. apparrently he started his own Classic (Eelectro or Dyno1) without knowing about this thread. Invited him to the SG and pointed him to this thread. 😃

Speaking of toons on other Shards, be aware of this current serious bug yet without a fix: transferring a toon between Shards will BREAK Long Range Teleport Accolade Power.  Classic toons may not use LRTP, but might still be best to avoid it until it's fixed.

Saw this post from @GM Impervium on 2020 Dec 10 that mentions it:

And this bug report from 2020 Nov 25 to today.