The Classic Hero Challenge

ineffablebob

2 hours ago, Greycat said:

Heh, hadn't noticed. >.< Of course, one of our blasters also has Martial as a secondary, so...

Also used my second build as a sort of "what would I do now" for comparison. I've "sort of" got an attack chain on the 2004 version, of course, plus one power to simulate taking swift/hurdle, and the prereq. The current build? Stamina slotted at three, aim and build up, mystic flight, and at least one more attack - if I were actually using it and slotting it, ball lightning would have the chance to stun from one of the end mod sets (zapp might, too,) and everything would have level 15 common IOs at the very least. (Nothing's slotted in it right now, since INF is kind of tight! Those little inf tips from civilians help.)

Yes, swapped back to the 2k4 version. I'm kind of curious how far the two builds will diverge by 40.

Interesting.  I'm thinking it would vary a bit by AT.  My first scrapper (Claws/SR) by 20th level would probably have a fair number of special IO's beyond even Miracle, Numinas and Perf Shifter like the +defense uniques +/- LotG def/+recharge, Kismet.  My Emp/Dark (3rd character) on the other hand would be nearly the same outside of maybe using common IO's and the substitutes for a travel power and Fitness.  

There is one issue I have with this challenge. 

Blasters have been buffed far beyond what they were in live. Higher HP, a regen/recovery aura, and who knows what else. 
Tankers have been changed recently with higher damage cap and target caps - but no dumpster herding like back in live. 
No multiple sets of imps or PA for controllers. 

And of course - should I dare mention regen? lol 

So many things have changed that at least some powerset/AT combos would not equate to the old days, no matter what you did. I suppose a blaster could skip the aura...<shudder> 

All in all, a very fun idea that I will try..soon. 

Yeah, it's been brought up. We're just going "as close as possible" to it.

I mean, just Defiance makes a huge change to survivability for a blaster, since getting mezzed doesn't mean you're completely helpless, for instance. And tanks can run more than one armor toggle. >.> We just kind of deal - the experience is different enough that it's a fun challenge.

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Getting ready to run Azbot-1 through the tutorial! Spint, AHOY!

image.png.4744983ea95ef72fb4bd8daee943dfe2.png

I'm as ugly as the original toon!

Edited by cranebump
  • Haha 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

9 hours ago, gourdhead said:

Stuck a toe into Perez Park and was promptly crushed, so I'm running Kings Row Skull missions.

Hit Level 7 and you soon discover that Perez Park is so bad that even the original The Hollows with its crazy runs across the zone was easier.

• The forest paths.  Without Vidiot Maps.  You've got a door in there somewhere.
  • Or maybe you're lucky and the door is not in the middle of a big blot of green on your minimap.
  • It's 3/4's of the way across a zone filled with mobs that barely have enough space between them to sneak.
  • Mobs that are higher level than you and your mission.
  • Or worse, your mission is to "arrest" a number of those mobs.  And all the ones you can find are Level 10.  And up.
  • Circle of Thorns, Clockwork, Hydra, The Lost, Vahzilok.  The Hellions and Skulls around the outside are almost a relief.
  • There's a wall around most of the zone, too high to jump over, with only 2 ways in and out near the entrances from Atlas Park and Galaxy City.
  • You've got to get to that door.  Do the mission.  Then get out.
  • And "going to the Hospital" in Issue 0 means going to the Hospital in the zone you entered Perez Park from, likely Atlas Park.
  • You can get out with the "suicide express" but you can't get in or get back that way.
  • If you on a team, congratulations!  You either going to recreate the experience of the Ten Thousand.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Thousand
    But more likely recreate the experience of the Teutoburger Wald.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Teutoburg_Forest
  • Have a nice day too.

Just thinking about Perez Park makes me think that I made a mistake going with Dark Armor.  'Cause Cloak of Darkness is only available at Level 20.  I'f I'd gone with Invulnerability, Regeneration, or Super Reflexes, I would take Concealment's Stealth and I could have that at Level 6.  Now Bases weren't present in Issue 0, so no Base Buff Grant Invisibility to layer on top of that.  And no IOs so no Celerity: Stealth at Level 12.

But at least with that much stealth in the past I have run past groups where some see me for a bit but I often don't take aggro or can survive the hits.  Without it, well....

Have a nice day.  Perez Park appreciates careful Heroes!

Edited by Jacke
  • Like 1

Lil shot of some of the gang in action:

image.png.06a2bff5688b6f18de3009a6267af9ae.png

I'm a-kickin', Marcus is a-healin', and Tanker is a...hmmm what is Tanker doin'?:-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

8 hours ago, Greycat said:

Yeah, it's been brought up. We're just going "as close as possible" to it.

I mean, just Defiance makes a huge change to survivability for a blaster, since getting mezzed doesn't mean you're completely helpless, for instance. And tanks can run more than one armor toggle. >.> We just kind of deal - the experience is different enough that it's a fun challenge.

How about no enhancements.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

14 hours ago, wjrasmussen said:

How about no enhancements.

I don't think you mean do the run without enhancements 'cause that would turn this from a fun challenge to crazy stupid hard.  I think no-enhancements is only done to get some Flashback Badges for doing arcs with enhancements disabled, but for that there are other tools to compensate that a Classic Hero can't use.

If you mean no TOs, with i27p1, you can only get TOs from Base Quartermasters.  Bases weren't present in Issue 0 but using Base Quartermasters only to buy TOs is an appropriate compensation. I think most taking this challenge do this:

• Before level 12 sell all drops, maybe buying a few Accuracy and perhaps Endurance Reduction TOs from Base Quartermasters.
  • Get to Level 12, slot and buy some DOs and sell the rest.
  • Get to Level 22, slot and buy some SOs and sell the rest.

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Stores_Inventory

• Best places to sell (this is still likely true) is the matching Origin Store for DOs and SOs, Freedom Corps Stores for TOs.
    As @Greycat points out, now all stores buy enhancements for the same price.
  • In Issue 0, the Stores in Steel Canyon and Skyway City sold L15 and L20 DOs (and same-Levels TOs).  Freedom Corps Stores sold only same-Levels TOs.
  • In Issue 0, the Stores in Talos Island and IP sold L25 and L30 SOs (and same-Levels similar-Origin DOs and TOs).  Freedom Corp Stores sold only same-Levels DOs and TOs.
  • Get to level 30, do the unlock missions for the SO vendors in Brickstown and Founders Falls, the only source of L35 and L40 SOs in Issue 0 (they also sold L30 SOs and same-Levels similar-Origin DOs).

Edited by Jacke

58 minutes ago, cranebump said:

Lil shot of some of the gang in action:

image.png.06a2bff5688b6f18de3009a6267af9ae.png

I'm a-kickin', Marcus is a-healin', and Tanker is a...hmmm what is Tanker doin'?:-)

Daaaaaaamn, we look good 🙂  And now I'm annoyed that I didn't go with Marcus Wallaby MD.  I might have to change it,

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Jacke said:

If you mean no TOs, with i27p1, you can only get TOs from Base Quartermasters.  Bases weren't present in Issue 0 but using Base Quartermasters only to buy TOs is an appropriate compensation. I think most taking this challenge do this:

This is the sole reason we actually have a "base" - it's a box with a quartermaster to be sure we can easily find somewhere to buy TOs.

8 hours ago, Jacke said:

Best places to sell (this is still likely true) is the matching Origin Store for DOs and SOs, Freedom Corps Stores for TOs.

No longer true, every store buys them for the same price now regardless of origin.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, 0th Power said:

I'm tanking, obviously....

Really, not sure what I'm doing there...

Ah. Tanking. So THAT'S what that is.:-)

8 minutes ago, 0th Power said:

Thinking about rolling a defender too for this.  
What power sets....

Was ice blast available for defenders i0?

@Knock!'s post from Dec 4 has the Issue 0 ATs and Powersets.

For Defenders, it's:

• Primaries Dark Miasma, Empathy, Force Field, Kinetics, Radiation Emission, and Storm Summoning.
  • Secondaries Dark Blast, Electrical Blast, Energy Blast, Psychic Blast, and Radiation Blast.

1 hour ago, gourdhead said:

Marcus is doing pretty well solo, so I bet a more debuff based primary would excel.

That's one of those things that we can't really recapture from launch - soloing a defender (much less a controller) was incredibly difficult. Vigilance makes a big difference, as well as various other tweaks in power functionality. Soloing an Empath in 2004 was an exercise in patience, if not outright futility - now it's just slower than other options. Having said all that, having played Classic Hero 2004 (Kin/Elec) up to 21 now, I can confirm that a powerset with useful self-buffs and debuffs works well.

Missed out on last night's teaming as life got in the way, but I should be on some later tonight, hoping to see a few of y'all then.

Edited by ineffablebob

Change of plans. If we have Marcus Welby, then this take on classic "medicine" fits right in:

image.png.8f6d21a06dc8d41b39ee993693dc124e.png

Say hello to "Trapper Juan" (Ice/Rad Troller).  [replacement for Azbot]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You know, just about everyone ends up doing that Vahzilok plague arc. Classic Hero 2004 joined up with @Six-Six's BLASTRO who had the arc, and along with Razorshrike's blaster we took care of Patient Zero and then went after the Doc. Technically I was fighting at a tougher level than I would have in 2004, since I was 21 and the mission was 19 - in the old days I'd have stayed at 21 instead of being EX'd to 19. But whatever, close enough. There were some hospital visits, particularly when we ran into a group of +1s that didn't take kindly to being pulled in small bunches. But we persevered and in the end...

DeadDoc.thumb.jpg.1ce708f1e6d69c23724e182a79d4d447.jpg

We actually took the Doc out without a death, thanks in large part to clearing every zombie we could from around him first. We all got levels at one point or another in the arc, and I used the opportunity to complete my own version of the Doc mission. Felt that made sense, given my earlier clearing of everything but the Doc himself.

That was enough to get me to 22. Woot, KB protection! (In the form of Acrobatics.) Also SOs, but all I could afford was the accuracies. Gonna have to stick with DOs for everything else, until my influence count catches up!

• Like 1