Galaxy Brain's 2021 Sentinel Fix

39 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

There’s no reason it shouldn’t do somewhere in the same vicinity as Scrappers. Stalkers, Blasters, and Scrappers all do fine damage. No reason Sentinels shouldn’t  also.

No. Scrappers and stalkers are melee AT in the thick of the fight. Blasters are ranged that can melee if safe to do so or at high risk as they are more glass cannon. 

Sentinels are near scrapper defences with ranged attacks offering even more survival. They can hover above a lot of mobs if they so wish. They also offer more team utility and are not just a damage only class.

Higher damage....yes but not as high as a scrapper or blaster. 

Just now, Gobbledegook said:

Sentinels are near scrapper defences with ranged attacks offering even more survival. They can hover above a lot of mobs if they so wish. They also offer more team utility and are not just a damage only class.

What is the team utility they offer?  Are you talking about the resistance debuffs?

Current sents offer very limited practical increase in team damage.  5% resist debuff isn't a lot (2.5%, as it is against +4 opponents, is almost nothing).  Opportunity's 20% is more meaningful, but it's still affected by the purple patch and still has mediocre uptime and is hard enough to apply that it's hard to get excited about it.

7 minutes ago, aethereal said:

What is the team utility they offer?  Are you talking about the resistance debuffs?

Current sents offer very limited practical increase in team damage.  5% resist debuff isn't a lot (2.5%, as it is against +4 opponents, is almost nothing).  Opportunity's 20% is more meaningful, but it's still affected by the purple patch and still has mediocre uptime and is hard enough to apply that it's hard to get excited about it.

That is what is being discussed and has been discussed before. Galaxy is giving them more utility as it is not so good as it is now. The class does not need to be just a ranged scrapper. 

It is still utility, it just needs buffing. 

I don't think the developers will turn them into ranged scrappers I think they want them to have something more unique.

But a damage buff would be good also.

Edited by Gobbledegook

9 minutes ago, Gobbledegook said:

No. Scrappers and stalkers are melee AT in the thick of the fight. Blasters are ranged that can melee if safe to do so or at high risk as they are more glass cannon. 

Higher damage....yes but not as high as a scrapper or blaster. 

No, not as high. Just ALMOST as high. Scrappers, stalkers, and blasters do not all do identical damage. Generally speaking (with some overlap) it's Blaster>Stalker>Scrapper.  I'm FINE with Sentinel remaining at the bottom of that list, just CLOSER.

Just now, Wavicle said:

No, not as high. Just ALMOST as high. Scrappers, stalkers, and blasters do not all do identical damage. Generally speaking (with some overlap) it's Blaster>Stalker>Scrapper.  I'm FINE with Sentinel remaining at the bottom of that list, just CLOSER.

Yes I can go with that 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wavicle said:

Close enough to be on that list at all would be a good start.  As-is, you're insulting all 3 of those ATs to compare them to Sents.

On 1/2/2021 at 7:36 AM, Zepp said:

I like:

• increasing secondary effects
  • Vulnerability Mark adjustments
  • Overwatch (though the numbers may need to shift)

I don't like:

• tying vulnerability mark to T1/T2 powers
  • feast/famine meter style play
  • O/D stancing style play

The Overwatch feature and Marking adjustments could completely replace Opportunity modes (with some adjustments to values). Removing the meter and moderating the effects would make this much more consistent and reliable.

Suggestions:

• Simplify - any ST attack will create a mark that has a -15% resist that does not stack from the same caster; allies within 100' gain +7.5% ToHit and +End/Heal on Mark defeat (scaling by level and target HP/End). 
  • Revise - your ideas are above average and interesting, revising your post to make the ideas more accessible would increase accessibility.

Having a vulnerability mark will help sentinels to unleash greater potential in combat and will help make them stand out as it's own schedule.

In regards to simplification, a long well thought out post is required if you want to express all the changes you want to implement and analyze the playstyle altogether to make it better.

Edited by OmnibusOmnh

13 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Been thinking on this. While having a perk for defeating marked targets is something I think should be in there, would it be better if it was the current "hit a target and get some HP/End back" on marked targets instead?

The current heal and end on hit is a smoother curve and more reliable as mitigation. Heal on defeat would be peaks and valleys. I would highly prefer, however it's done, the current rate of hp and end return remain a constant, vs a burst. Not that it could or couldn't be on kill, but the amount and distribution of the return should mirror what it is now 

@Rathulfr, I dig that idea though it's not 100% what I had in mind! 

I think I'll take a moment to refine the idea here (may redo the OP too) :

To streamline Sentinels, I feel it is best to reduce "Decision Fatigue" in order to make them easier to play on top of giving them some boosts overall.

1) Base Stats:

Unchanged for the most part, but crank up their Secondary Effects to possibly even Corruptor values! Sentinels already debuff per hit in the current game, and an archetype that is offensive both damage wise and status/debuff wise is a unique mix.

2) Opportunity - Vulnerability Mark:

Currently, Sentinels have to get max Meter and hit a target successfully with either their T1 or T2 attack in order to apply a Mark. This is far too particular given what the mark actually does, heck we even have Trick Arrow able to more or less replicate this exact effect every 3 seconds! This should be decoupled from "Opportunity" and instead just be something the Sentinel can do whenever. Specifically, the T1 and T2 blast, as well as the lvl 6 T3 ST blast will now be able to freely apply the Vulnerability Mark when they hit an enemy.

(List of lvl 6 T3 blasts)

Spoiler

(Stunning Shot / Slug / Disintegrate / Abyssal Gaze / Suppressive Fire / Zapping Bolt / Power Burst / Blaze / Chilling Ray / Will Domination / Cosmic Burst / Shout / Dehydrate)

Sentinels can only mark 1 Target at a time, and the mark cannot stack from multiple Sentinels. These marks last 10 seconds but disappear if another Mark is created (you cannot mark 2 different targets at once by yourself), and new marks replace old ones on the same target. While marked, Vulnerable Enemies face a harsh, unresistable 15% debuff to: Damage Resistance, Mez Resistance, and (Special/Debuff) Resistances, as well as a 7.5% Defense Debuff. This myriad of weaknesses allows any player to benefit in their own unique ways towards a target highlighted by a Sentinel where not only do they take more damage, but longer mezzes and harsher debuffs. Sentinels would enjoy this themselves solo too with each set having a strong Mez attack and increases to their base secondary effect mods!

With this in place, the "passive" Vulnerability on-hit of 5% -Res and 2.5% -Def would be removed, and replaced by the second change to their inherent.

3) Opportunity - Overwatch:

Sentinels will now produce a 60' Radius Aura (Identical range to Mastermind Supremacy) that grants themselves and allies +Perception, as well as +Perception and ToHit resistances (something minor, but flavorful). Allies in Overwatch range will have some interactions that we will touch on in just a moment.

With every hit Sentinels dish out, they will gain meter towards Opportunity. Hits on Vulnerable Targets will give Bonus Meter, on top of this Allies within Overwatch Range will supply the Sentinel with Bonus Meter (TBD, could be if they are simply in range the Sentinel gets a boost per hit to make it easy). In order to solve some of the Feast/Famine dynamic, I figure giving the Sentinels more ways to stay in "Feast" may just be the most straightforward solution!

Once at (near full, 80~90%) Meter, the Sentinel will trigger Opportunity automatically! Once active, both effects of Offensive and Defensive that we know now will be active for the Sentinel where they are able to proc damage on foes they strike as well as heal HP and Endurance just the same. On top of this, Overwatch will now grant everyone in range a 10% Damage Buff, 5% ToHit Buff, 30% Regen buff, and 15% Recovery buff for as long as Opportunity is active.

Better still, allies within Overwatch will be able to use the effects of Offensive/Defensive opportunity (may as well just call it Opportunity) when they strike Marked Targets!

4) Putting it together:

Overall the goals of the changes are to streamline Sentinel's Opportunity to be much easier to trigger and be more impactful to themselves and allies than it is now. The ability to mark targets at all times with an unresistable debuff will be stellar and help the Sentinel out greatly in between boosts, and the combination of boosts when you get going will allow them to rise to the occasion each fight especially when they focus fire in a team. Allies benefiting in multiple ways wouldn't hurt either 😉

Keeping the current opportunity bar and procs doesn't mess with too much IMO and keeps their spirit alive, though I am still a little hesitant on whether the T3 blast should also mark, but it seems like a fair compromise between those who do not like the base abilities and those who want every attack to be able to mark.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2021 at 4:54 PM, Wavicle said:

Nonsense. Corruptor and Tanker both have a role on teams that has nothing to do with doing damage. Sentinel does not.

Your post appeared to be saying "They are a damage dealer" as a reason to deny them things that are not simply +damage.  That strikes me as needlessly circular.

Considering the AT in question can and will obsolete other ATs if it becomes competitive as a damage dealer, I do not see the wisdom in limiting potential fixes to "it needs moar damage."  I'm not exactly throwing my support behind "party mez protection" here, but certainly party benefits are a good place to look.

27 minutes ago, Replacement said:

Your post appeared to be saying "They are a damage dealer" as a reason to deny them things that are not simply +damage.  That strikes me as needlessly circular.

Considering the AT in question can and will obsolete other ATs if it becomes competitive as a damage dealer, I do not see the wisdom in limiting potential fixes to "it needs moar damage."  I'm not exactly throwing my support behind "party mez protection" here, but certainly party benefits are a good place to look.

Rubbish. Right now Blasters do the most damage, followed by Stalkers, followed by Scrappers. (These are generalities, obviously there is some overlap.) There is absolutely no reason why Sentinels can't be fourth on that list but in the same ballpark. That does not make any of the others obsolete in any way.

They ARE a damage dealer and as such need to deal damage.

If they got some more things that aren't +Damage IN ADDITION I wouldn't mind.

Edited by Wavicle
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wavicle said:

Rubbish. Right now Blasters do the most damage, followed by Stalkers, followed by Scrappers. (These are generalities, obviously there is some overlap.) There is absolutely no reason why Sentinels can't be fourth on that list but in the same ballpark. That does not make any of the others obsolete in any way.

They ARE a damage dealer and as such need to deal damage.

If they got some more things that aren't +Damage IN ADDITION I wouldn't mind.

It's weird seeing you call all of my input "nonsense" and "rubbish."  I don't normally think of your posts as... aggressively flippant.  Or maybe flippantly aggressive.

In the same way a Corruptor deals damage but is still allowed to do other things, a Sentinel could too.  Now if the damage was lowered to fuel some other role, you could rightly call foul for turning it into something it's not.  But anything additive can be in whatever direction they want -- and for an AT with a weak identity, I would call that a win.  The class doesn't need any more damage if it has other things to offer.

Just now, Replacement said:

It's weird seeing you call all of my input "nonsense" and "rubbish."  I don't normally think of your posts as... aggressively flippant.  Or maybe flippantly aggressive.

In the same way a Corruptor deals damage but is still allowed to do other things, a Sentinel could too.  Now if the damage was lowered to fuel some other role, you could rightly call foul for turning it into something it's not.  But anything additive can be in whatever direction they want -- and for an AT with a weak identity, I would call that a win.  The class doesn't need any more damage if it has other things to offer.

Well, first off I apologize. I’ve been in a very weird mood all day, it’s a weird day in the United States. Also, in both cases my comment, nonsense, rubbish, was only intended towards one specific part of your posts and I did not clarify that, so again I apologize.

I guess it is in theory possible to create a balanced archetype that is sort of a Jack of all trades, but I personally don’t think it’s the way to go. I think armored short range damage dealer is a fine idea and is what they are now. Instead of changing them radically, make them better at their Primary function, doing damage.

31 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

I guess it is in theory possible to create a balanced archetype that is sort of a Jack of all trades, but I personally don’t think it’s the way to go. I think armored short range damage dealer is a fine idea and is what they are now. Instead of changing them radically, make them better at their Primary function, doing damage.

Agreed, the method of doing it though is what we can fiddle with.

Just a quick example, lets look at Archery between a Blaster, Sentinel, and Corruptor, using Snap Shot just for giggles.

Blaster = 52.55 base damage

Sentinel = 44.38

Corruptor = 27.82

For sake of argument, you are spamming Snap Shot as fast as you can against a target

Blaster -> 52.55 * 1.1212 (6.6% defiance boost you can keep 2 stacks of easily) = 58.92

Corruptor -> 27.82, but multiplied times 2 for Scourge... but also dictated by HP and RNG, lets say it gets a 1.25x boost on average from 100% to 0% HP = 34.78

Sentinel -> 44.38 gets multiplied by the 15% -Res, but it can also be boosted by Opportunity. Snap Shot's proc is about ~17% of base, or 7.55., which isn't affected by damage buffs but does interact with -res. (44.38 * 1.1) + 7.55 = 56.37 * 1.15 = 64.82

At base, with this new Opportunity the Sent actually pulls ahead! Lets look at 95% enhancement tho + the other math

Sentinel = 113.31

Blaster = 108.84

Corruptor = 67.82 (if we were to assume Scourge hit say, 50% of the time it would be 81.35)

With Opportunity running and a marked target, the comparable Sentinel attack is actually looking pretty nice! That said, they do have less range and target caps than the other two and would lose out in that dept.

Edited by Galaxy Brain

Is something weird going on with Corruptor Archery damage?  It shouldn't be that much lower than Blaster damage.

Specifically:

Blasters should have 1.125 scale, so 52.55 normalizes to 46.71

Sentinels should have .95 scale, so 44.38 normalizes to 46.71

Corruptors should have .75 scale, but 27.82 normalizes to a painfully low 37.09

(Note that I double-checked, and Galaxy Brain is correct that those are the listed numbers for Corruptor Snap Shot).

Edited by aethereal

7 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

To streamline Sentinels, I feel it is best to reduce "Decision Fatigue" in order to make them easier to play on top of giving them some boosts overall.

1) Base Stats:

Unchanged for the most part, but crank up their Secondary Effects to possibly even Corruptor values! Sentinels already debuff per hit in the current game, and an archetype that is offensive both damage wise and status/debuff wise is a unique mix.

Spoiler

Currently, Sentinels have to get max Meter and hit a target successfully with either their T1 or T2 attack in order to apply a Mark. This is far too particular given what the mark actually does, heck we even have Trick Arrow able to more or less replicate this exact effect every 3 seconds! This should be decoupled from "Opportunity" and instead just be something the Sentinel can do whenever. Specifically,

the T1 and T2 blast, as well as the lvl 6 T3 ST blast will now be able to freely apply the Vulnerability Mark when they hit an enemy.

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

(Stunning Shot / Slug / Disintegrate / Abyssal Gaze / Suppressive Fire / Zapping Bolt / Power Burst / Blaze / Chilling Ray / Will Domination / Cosmic Burst / Shout / Dehydrate)

Sentinels can only mark 1 Target at a time, and the mark cannot stack from multiple Sentinels. These marks last 10 seconds but disappear if another Mark is created (you cannot mark 2 different targets at once by yourself), and new marks replace old ones on the same target. While marked, Vulnerable Enemies face a harsh, unresistable 15% debuff to: Damage Resistance, Mez Resistance, and (Special/Debuff) Resistances, as well as a 7.5% Defense Debuff. This myriad of weaknesses allows any player to benefit in their own unique ways towards a target highlighted by a Sentinel where not only do they take more damage, but longer mezzes and harsher debuffs. Sentinels would enjoy this themselves solo too with each set having a strong Mez attack and increases to their base secondary effect mods!

With this in place, the "passive" Vulnerability on-hit of 5% -Res and 2.5% -Def would be removed, and replaced by the second change to their inherent.

3) Opportunity - Overwatch:Sentinels will now produce a 60' Radius Aura (Identical range to Mastermind Supremacy) that grants themselves and allies +Perception, as well as +Perception and ToHit resistances

Spoiler

(something minor, but flavorful). Allies in Overwatch range will have some interactions that we will touch on in just a moment.

With every hit Sentinels dish out, they will gain meter towards Opportunity.

Hits on Vulnerable Targets will give Bonus Meter,

Spoiler

on top of this Allies within Overwatch Range will supply the Sentinel with Bonus Meter (TBD, could be if they are simply in range the Sentinel gets a boost per hit to make it easy). In order to solve some of the Feast/Famine dynamic, I figure giving the Sentinels more ways to stay in "Feast" may just be the most straightforward solution!

Once at (near full, 80~90%) Meter, the Sentinel will trigger Opportunity automatically!

Once active, both effects of Offensive and Defensive that we know now will be active for the Sentinel where they are able to proc damage on foes they strike as well as heal HP and Endurance just the same. On top of this, Overwatch will now grant everyone in range a 10% Damage Buff, 5% ToHit Buff, 30% Regen buff, and 15% Recovery buff for as long as Opportunity is active.

Spoiler

Better still, allies within Overwatch will be able to use the effects of Offensive/Defensive opportunity (may as well just call it Opportunity) when they strike Marked Targets!

4) Putting it together:

Overall the goals of the changes are to streamline Sentinel's Opportunity to be much easier to trigger and be more impactful to themselves and allies than it is now. The ability to mark targets at all times with an unresistable debuff will be stellar and help the Sentinel out greatly in between boosts, and the combination of boosts when you get going will allow them to rise to the occasion each fight especially when they focus fire in a team. Allies benefiting in multiple ways wouldn't hurt either 😉

Keeping the current opportunity bar and procs doesn't mess with too much IMO and keeps their spirit alive, though I am still a little hesitant on whether the T3 blast should also mark, but it seems like a fair compromise between those who do not like the base abilities and those who want every attack to be able to mark.

I like the updated proposal. It offers a much more even playing experience with motivation towards strategic play. If there were a way to show enemies/objectives within 100' of sentinels on the map, that would also be a nice touch.

Edited by Zepp

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

8 hours ago, aethereal said:

Is something weird going on with Corruptor Archery damage?  It shouldn't be that much lower than Blaster damage.

Specifically:

Blasters should have 1.125 scale, so 52.55 normalizes to 46.71

Sentinels should have .95 scale, so 44.38 normalizes to 46.71

Corruptors should have .75 scale, but 27.82 normalizes to a painfully low 37.09

(Note that I double-checked, and Galaxy Brain is correct that those are the listed numbers for Corruptor Snap Shot).

.... that is weird now that you mention it. Let me check another set....

Charged Bolts = 

Blaster - 62.56

Sentinel - 52.83

Corruptor - 27.81.....

That can't be right. Did you look in mids too? As I'm typing this I'm double checking in game:

Charged Bolts = 

Blaster - 62.56

Sentinel - 52.83

Corruptor - 41.71...

Corruptor Snap Shot in-game shows as 28.36 damage as well, which is close to what we see but yeah....

Redoing these:

Blaster:

Snap Shot = 108.84

Charged Bolts = 129.57

Corruptor (Assuming 25% bonus Scourge):

Snap Shot = 69.13 -> 82.95 (50% Scourge)

Charged Bolts = 101.67 -> 122.00 (50% Scourge)

Sentinel (Proposed):

Snap Shot = 113.31 

Charged Bolts = 134.89

@Bopper Corruptors are broked in Mids 😛

12 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Corruptors are broked in Mids

Known issue (see thread below) 

Edited by Bopper
  • Thanks 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

I really like this proposal, and would suggest the following refinement to make it even more streamlined and playable:

Overwatch benefits should be on all the time and increased in effectiveness as the meter increases, like how Fury increases a Brute's damage. As the meter gets close to full, these gains would slow (to a lesser degree than Fury does—more like Domination), so the Sentinel must turn their focus to using ST attacks if they want max it out, automatically triggering an Opportunity.

During the Opportunity, their Overwatch meter degrades twice as fast, but while it lasts, the "Sentinel's Mark" debuff is doubled, and allies can take advantage of it as well.

In this version, the Sentinel's Mark debuff would be invisible to allies (and unaffected by their attacks) except during an Opportunity. Since Opportunity is a strong bonus, 50% of the debuff would be unresistable (instead of 100% unresistable). However, the resistible portion from multiple Sentinel's Opportunities would stack. 

This would create a couple of fun strategy pathways: either carefully build Overwatch and maintain it around 80-90% personal effectiveness, or max it ASAP and ride the rush (spam ST) to maintain it at around 90-110% effectiveness (45-55% meter, doubled) plus a big ally damage increase against your Marked target. The tradeoff of maintaining an Opportunity would be a big endurance expenditure and come at the expense of some of your AoE (since only your ST attacks build your meter). Transitioning to the next enemy group will quickly drain your Opportunity, creating a nice risk/reward incentive for the defiant Sentinel to consider quickly drawing more aggro and testing their defensive powers. 

The thing that makes the power of the buff/debuff sets acceptable is the time it takes to cast them.

If you gave Sentinel Support power anywhere close to a corruptor but without the cast times then why would anyone play Corruptor?

Again, I think the superior path is to increase its capability as a damage dealer, not as a support toon.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

@Rathulfr, I dig that idea though it's not 100% what I had in mind! 

I think I'll take a moment to refine the idea here (may redo the OP too) :

1) Base Stats:

Currently, Sentinels have to get max Meter and hit a target successfully with either their T1 or T2 attack in order to apply a Mark. This is far too particular given what the mark actually does, heck we even have Trick Arrow able to more or less replicate this exact effect every 3 seconds! This should be decoupled from "Opportunity" and instead just be something the Sentinel can do whenever. Specifically, the T1 and T2 blast, as well as the lvl 6 T3 ST blast will now be able to freely apply the Vulnerability Mark when they hit an enemy.

Hide contents

3) Opportunity - Overwatch:

Sentinels will now produce a 60' Radius Aura (Identical range to Mastermind Supremacy) that grants themselves and allies +Perception, as well as +Perception and ToHit resistances (something minor, but flavorful). Allies in Overwatch range will have some interactions that we will touch on in just a moment.

With every hit Sentinels dish out, they will gain meter towards Opportunity. Hits on Vulnerable Targets will give Bonus Meter, on top of this Allies within Overwatch Range will supply the Sentinel with Bonus Meter (TBD, could be if they are simply in range the Sentinel gets a boost per hit to make it easy). In order to solve some of the Feast/Famine dynamic, I figure giving the Sentinels more ways to stay in "Feast" may just be the most straightforward solution!

Once at (near full, 80~90%) Meter, the Sentinel will trigger Opportunity automatically! Once active, both effects of Offensive and Defensive that we know now will be active for the Sentinel where they are able to proc damage on foes they strike as well as heal HP and Endurance just the same. On top of this, Overwatch will now grant everyone in range a 10% Damage Buff, 5% ToHit Buff, 30% Regen buff, and 15% Recovery buff for as long as Opportunity is active.

4) Putting it together:

Gimme gimme gimme!!

Liberty and Virtue server refugee. Everlasting resident.

Main/Planned Characters:

• Astellus - Kinetic/Energy/Mu Scrapper (Magic)
  • Plasmitar - Radiation/Energy/Flame Blaster (Science)
  • Scionic - Psychic/Atomic/Soul Blaster (Mutation)
  • Safehouse - Street Justice/Energy Aura Scrapper (Magic)
  • Starshear - Energy/Atomic/Force Blaster (Science)
  • Neonstar - Luminous/Luminous Peacebringer (Natural)
  • Faerwald - Gravity/Energy/Psionic Dominator (Science)
  • Fomalhaut - Rad/Rad Sentinel (Science)

16 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

Again, I think the superior path is to increase its capability as a damage dealer, not as a support toon.

That was my intent when I posted the revision above.

This Sentinel would be focused on dealing damage like a Brute, but in times of need (or on focused "perma-Opp" builds) they could extend those advantages to their allies against one target at a time. Blasters would still be the best damage dealer in typical play contexts, but when it comes to burning down AVs, these Sents could deal comparable damage and be a little safer to boot.