Picking Enhancement Set on Low Level

huang3721

1 hour ago, GM Crumpet said:

If you have a build in mind and the levels permit, always buy attuned enhancements not level locked ones. They are exactly the same price and level with you. I always take Blessing of the Zephyr in fly at level 7 when they become available and buy attuned, then never have to worry about them again. The enhancements level with me and so do the bonuses.

This. These are also extremely useful when Exemplaring and such.

In addition, the market has a handy ability to convert crafted IOs into Attuned, so you can always sell any crafted ones that you have and buy them back Attuned.

• Like 3

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

12 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

If you have a build in mind and the levels permit, always buy attuned enhancements not level locked ones.

The two exceptions to this being a) enhancements that are just procs (unlike the LotG Def/global recharge), which have the same effect regardless of level, and b) enhancements that you're only slotting one from the set into a power, in which case you're better off buying it not attuned at max level and boosting it to +5. For the pure procs, though, since they have the same effect regardless of their level, and it's mildly inconvenient to have to remember to buy one at the bottom of its level range, and attuned and regular are the same price, you might as well buy attuned just for convenience.

2 hours ago, srmalloy said:

The two exceptions to this being a) enhancements that are just procs (unlike the LotG Def/global recharge), which have the same effect regardless of level, and b) enhancements that you're only slotting one from the set into a power, in which case you're better off buying it not attuned at max level and boosting it to +5. For the pure procs, though, since they have the same effect regardless of their level, and it's mildly inconvenient to have to remember to buy one at the bottom of its level range, and attuned and regular are the same price, you might as well buy attuned just for convenience.

Some procs (Steadfast Protection Res/Def and LotG Def/Rech are two) have both a proc component and an enhanceable component, so sometimes it does matter what level a proc is.

Also, I personally cannot stand to see 5 attuned IOs and one unattuned.  It just drives me nuts!  So I always buy my procs attuned.

• Like 3

Who run Bartertown?

On 3/5/2021 at 8:23 AM, Yomo Kimyata said:

Also, I personally cannot stand to see 5 attuned IOs and one unattuned.  It just drives me nuts!  So I always buy my procs attuned.

The price is the same, so it doesn't really matter, but it's easier not to have to remember to get the proc at the minimum level for the set. I think I've got one character where I didn't bother attuning a KB protection IO because the recipe dropped as level 11, and it was the only one of the set I slotted, so it wasn't worth using a catalyst on.

I tried ILP again on a level 50 blaster with the same primary and secondary. It produced better results since it has more empty slots to optimize.  Those slots also allow me to increase multiple attributes by more than 10%. In my opinion, ILP can help you cut down trial and error and produce build quickly.

I limit my selection to uncommon and rare enhancement sets since they are more likely to drop and cheaper than purples. I remove any enhancement sets not suitable to my character to simplify the model and then select a few properties to increase. The table below lists the results after a few tweaks.

Build Description Accuracy Recharge Recovery Resist S/L
1 Balanced 34% 28.75% 28% 28.25%
2 Rapid 45% 62% 15% 25%
3 Defensive 49% 15% 10% 51.25%

ILP suggestion for build #3. They are all uncommon and rare. Imagine the numbers if I put purples.

Set slot assign to
Kinetic Crash 3 single shot
Thunderstrike 2 single shot
Analyze Weakness 6 cutting beam
Thunderstrike 2 disintegrate
Adjusted Targeting 6 Aim
Rope A Dope 5 lance shot
Executioner's Contract 5 penetrating ray
Bombardment 3 piercing beam
Detonation 2 piercing beam
Analyze Weakness 6 overcharge
Trap of the Hunter 5 time wall
Essence of Curare 4 time stop
Adjusted Targeting 6 Chronos
Preventive Medicine 2 Temporal Healing
Doctored Wounds 2 Temporal Healing
Dark Watcher’s Despair 4 Time Shift
Tempered Readiness 2 Time Shift
Titanium Coating 4 Time Lord
Aegis 4 Invulnerability
Titanium Coating 4 Tough
Titanium Coating 4 Power of Nature

nQqYuR0.jpg  W9LmRSB.jpg

edit 

4VL4Kof.jpg

Edited by huang3721
adding image

11 hours ago, huang3721 said:

I tried ILP again on a level 50 blaster with the same primary and secondary. It produced better results since it has more empty slots to optimize.  Those slots also allow me to increase multiple attributes by more than 10%. In my opinion, ILP can help you cut down trial and error and produce build quickly.

Does your model take into account the actual enhancement values of the IOs on the power?  At the moment it's producing some VERY odd choices, like two-slotting Disintegrate, and putting non-damage sets into Lancer Shot and Cutting Beam.  With Lancer Shot and five slots of Rope-a-Dope, you're getting a Resistance bonus of 1.5% Fire/Cold and 3% S/L in exchange for having no damage enhancement at all.  Even if you put a generic Damage IO into a sixth slot, you'd only get a 42.5% damage bonus.  If you'd six slotted with Thunderstrike instead, you'd hit ED on the Damage AND get 3.75% Ranged Def AND get 3.75% Energy/Negative Def AND get a 7% global acc bonus.

For Lancer Shot, the Mids values for damage look like this:

5 slots of Rope-a-Dope: 159.2

5 slots of Rope-a-Dope + level 50 Dam IO: 226.2

6 slots of Thunderstrike: 320.6

That's a lot to give up for a tiny bit of Res!

ETA: I just noticed that it's also slotted your nuke with Analyze Weakness, another non-damage set!  Bad model, no biscuit!

ETA 2: I think that to be useful as a way to actually generate a sensible starting point for a build, the model needs a fundamental change to prioritize the actual slotting values, and only then look at IO bonuses.  So, for example, if the set doesn't add damage to a Moderate/High/Extreme damage power, then the model shouldn't even be considering it unless the power already had good damage slotting from a damage set.

Edited by Grouchybeast

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

This is actually a good task for machine learning. You feed it hundreds of "valid" builds to learn from, the enhancement sets, and some goals. But like anything ML, it takes a LOT of input data. 

You definitely would not feed the model just the IO sets. You would feed it both the values of boosters, as well as attuned scaling, AND generics. Sometimes, generics really make the best choices.

Yeah, this is a good example of pretty terrible slotting sorry to say. Slot your attacks for damage for the love of god. Slot your defenses for defense.

And unless deciding to dedicate yourself to low level arcs and freeze your XP you will have a much better time simply buying inspirations between missions by typing /ah. Even those ambushes that gave you problem are a non problem if you gobble three medium defense inspirations.

Regarding a machine learning program this has been done already. It's over the Guides section and called Robot Woman. I'm not sure how well it would deal with low level enhancements though

On 3/4/2021 at 10:46 AM, Li_Sensei said:

Oh, and Huang, regarding defence soft capping?  Unless you're something like a melee AT with Energy Aura, Shield or SR, softcapping before late 30's-mid 40's is not easily achievable.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but it may distort your build horribly to achieve it.  30% or so defence on a blaster seems to give solid survivability, especially when you factor in the blaster secondary sustain powers.

Second this.  Not all ATs and not every character should strive for soft-capped defenses -- it's sort of a fascination the playerbase has, but impractical or problematic in many cases.  I have Level 50 Blasters who are short of the soft cap, and they work fine.  I have a level 50 Defender who solos all the time without any intentional investment in defense at all.  He is hardly ever hit.  Defense is great for many characters, but not mandatory.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

With Lancer Shot and five slots of Rope-a-Dope, you're getting a Resistance bonus of 1.5% Fire/Cold and 3% S/L in exchange for having no damage enhancement at all.

It means the model works. Because I set accuracy, recharge, recovery, and resistance as constraints, ILP will never consider other stats (damage, defense, etc.). It would be annoying if I want a few resistance bonuses, but the ILP gives me a damage bonus instead. 

If someone wants damage bonuses, they can put that as a constraint, and ILP will select appropriate enhancement sets to satisfy it.

13 hours ago, Hew said:

You definitely would not feed the model just the IO sets.

I wish I could! Creating a matrix with hundreds of rows and columns manually is slow and prone to error. 

13 hours ago, Sovera said:

Slot your attacks for damage for the love of god. Slot your defenses for defense.

Duh! Sorry, not sorry!

Also, I run those builds on Beta Server. My build (somehow) works by the way, even with all those limitation. 

You guys won't believe this. I ran the first two First Ward arcs, Praetoria's zone events, and Emperor's Sword using build #2 and build #3 (+0/x1). I multi-boxed so that I could compare their performances. The result: they bulldozed every opposition, excluding Praetor Sinclair. 

Just stand some feet away from a mob and start blasting. That's it. You don't have to kite, and active defense is not mandatory. Because of shorter recharge time, enemies who manage to reach them are full of holes. Also, their attack is less effective due to a high level of damage resistance.

Still, there are some limitations.

• A +1 boss with ranged attacks can deal significant damage because they can hit right away.
  • The damages from +1 enemies can add up, so fighting in the middle of an aggroed mob is not a good idea. Fortunately, most of the ambushes are +0.
  • Last but not least, fighting a +3 archvillain without a team is a big no-no.

eUAqNN8.jpg

• Like 1

I have several characters that are slotted to excel while exemped.  The main one is a fire/regen scrapper; there are others. 

There are some real gems in enhancement sets that peter out at 30 or 35.  The Kismet global to hit boost is always worthwhile.  Kinetic Combat is another famous one; my standard slotting at 50 for most melee attacks is four of them and either a single Accuracy or an Acc/Dam Hami-O.  The knockdown proc is very useful, especially in a fast low level attack, and adds the equivalent of defense; do not knock it.  Other sets that are worth looking at are Basilisk Gaze for holds and Theft of Essence for accurate heals.  For melee AoE, Multi-Strike has valuable survival bonuses that can be ridden from 17 to 50. 

If you have shedloads of reward merits on another character, like I tend to, slot your ATOs early.  I start with any proc ATOs and the Acc/Dam; for two slots in the power you have something that will set you up for life.  The ATO procs are game changers for blasters, scrappers, and stalkers, and almost always handy for anyone else. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

• 2 months later

A few weeks ago, I ran @Darmian AE Story (#40403) using build #3. It didn't go quite well since I lost half of my set bonuses.

So, I'm going to build another one for Lv.10-Lv30 missions. As usual, I will use Rare and Uncommon only.

According to the powerset (Beam/Temporal/Force Mastery), I can use these enhancement types:

Accurate Defense Debuff Healing PBAoE Damage Stuns
Accurate To Hit Debuff Holds Ranged Damage Targeted AoE Damage
Defense Immobilize Resist Damage To Hit Buff
Defense Debuff Knockback Slow Movement To Hit Debuff
Fear Melee  Sniper Attacks  

I also decided to increase Accuracy, Recharge Time, Recovery, and S/L Resistance.

Accuracy & Recharge to deal more damage and Recovery to keep it firing as long as possible. For short, this build is the low-level version of Build #3.

Based on the data, I narrowed down my selection list. Now, I can assign 38 enhancement sets into 20 available powers.
After a few iterations, this is what I got:

Assign To Slot Accuracy Recharge Recovery Resist S/L
Tempest Single Shot 3       1.5
Tempest Charged Shot 3       1.5
Shield Breaker Cutting Beam 5 11   2.5 2.25
nothing Disintegrate 0        
Encouraged Accuracy Aim 2 5      
Razzle Dazzle Lance 2     2  
nothing Penetratring Ray 0        
Shield Breaker Overcharge 5 11   2.5 2.25
Curtail Speed Time Wall 5   2.5   1.5
Bruising Blow Aging Touch 2     1  
Basilisk Gaze Time Stop 4   7.5 2  
Paralyze Time Stop 2     1  
Encouraged Accuracy Chronos 2 5      
Regenerative Tissue Temporal Healing 5   5    
Unspeakable Terror Future Pain 5   5 2  
Cloud Sense Time Shift 4   6.25    
Deflated Ego Time Shift 2 3      
Impervious Skin TimeLord 5   5 2 1.5
Kismet Personal Force 5   3.75 1.5 2.25
Stagger Repulsion Bomb 5   2.5    
Impervious Skin Temporal Inv 5   5 2 1.5
Steadfast Protection Force Of Nature 2     1.5  
Imprevium Armor Force Of Nature 2     2.5  
Energy Manipulator Force Of Nature 2     1.5  
SUM   77 35 42.5 24 14.25

It turns out low-level enhancement sets don't provide decent S/L Resistance to Temporal Powerset. Even after I set other values (Accuracy, Recharge, and Recovery) to zero, I can only get 18.75% S/L Resistance!

I tried again, but this time I replaced S/L Resistance with Psi/Toxic Resistance.

Assign To Slot Accuracy Recharge Recovery Psi/Toxic
Far Strike Single Shot 2       1.5
Far Strike Charged Shot 2       1.5
Shield Breaker Cutting Beam 5 11   2.5  
Far Strike Disintegrate 2       1.5
Stagger Lance 5   2.5    
Far Strike Penetrating Ray 2       1.5
Shield Breaker Overcharge 5 11   2.5  
Debilitative Action Time Wall 6       4.5
Bruising Blow Aging Touch 2     1  
Pulverizing Fisticuffs Aging Touch 2       1.5
Basilisk Gaze Time Stop 4   7.5 2  
Paralyze Time Stop 2     1  
Regenerative Tissue Temporal Healing 5   5    
Unspeakable Terror Future Pain 6   5 2 4.5
Cloud Sense Time Shift 4   6.25    
Razzle Dazzle Time Shift 2     2  
Imprevium Armor TimeLord 6     2.5 4.5
Kismet Personal Force 5   3.75 1.5  
Razzle Dazzle Repulsion Bomb 2     2  
Impervious Skin Temporal Inv 5   5 2  
Imprevium Armor Force Of Nature 6     2.5 4.5
SUM   84 32 35 23.5 25.5

It has a 25.5% bonus compared to a mere 14.25%. The Psi/Toxic build also seems more balanced than S/L, which is nice. I hope this is enough to fend off those pesky Seers and the Awakened.

Edit:

Nope. Psi damage type is uncommon. So, this build is not too useful. Also, 95% hit rate and slightly reduced recharge can't mitigate Resistance's defense debuff, blastmaster's Molotov, Ghouls horde or Sherperd's blade. 

Unless the team has tanks or controllers, expect kiting and running while using this build. 

Glad I tested this build on the beta server. Oh, well. Time to pick other stats. 

Edited by huang3721
Back to spreadsheet!

On 3/5/2021 at 4:23 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

There are two types of people in this world. Those that carefully arrange IO's in set order in powers, arrange mixed slotted powers so that any groups are to the left (in order of how many are slotted from each set) and single procs are to the right and hate having to use unattuned IO's because they look messy in a mostly attuned build. The other type of person is simply wrong :).

And yes, more than once I've spent the money to attune a proc that dropped for me just to tidy up the enhancement screen. Actually I have to fight myself to not attune purple sets. It hurts me that they look so plain!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vulpoid said:

What is this "ILP" you speak of?

It is "Integer Linear Programming".

Let's say we want to slot some enhancement sets to get bonus stats. We also want to meet some criteria (eg Recharge > 200% and all defenses > 40%). In addition, enhancement sets cost money and take space, so we want to slot only a few of them while still satisfying our criteria above.

ILP solves that kind of problem. For me, it helps transforms my plan into an actual build.

1 hour ago, Parabola said:

It hurts me that they look so plain!

The drawback is that the build relies on bonus sets, so attuned enhancement is a must. I didn't read GM Crumpet's post once and my toon got a painful surprise!

My general slotting strategy for low levels is the 5 p2w unique damage enhancements and whatever drops I get except I do tend to buy accuracies to keep them up to date.

I also try to get the health and stamina uniques when I can.

Then at 22, I slot basic IOs even though they are slightly less than an SO. That way I can sell my SOs without having to worry about them.

• Thumbs Up 1

The last build didn't go so well, so I took other stats. This time, I am doing defensive (positional defenses or damage resistances). I didn't bother with S/L, fire/cold, Toxic, and Psionic Def because their maximum values for Beam/Temporal/Force don't look good.

For defense, this is what I get:

Assign To Slot Accuracy AOE Melee Ranged
Explosive Strike Single Shot 3       1.88
Explosive Strike Charged Shot 3       1.88
Shield Breaker Cutting Beam 6 11 2.5 3.125  
Razzle Dazzle Lancer Shot 6   2.5 2.5  
Explosive Strike Penetrating Ray 3       1.88
Shield Breaker Overcharge 6 11 2.5 3.125  
Impeded Swiftness Time Wall 6     2.5  
Neuronic Shutdown Time Stop 6 7   2.5  
End Of Time Eradication 6   3.125   1.5625
Pulverizing Fisticuffs Future Pain 3       0.625
Cloud Sense Time Shift 6       3.75
Reactive Armor Time Lord 5   1.25 0.625 0.625
Reactive Armor Force Of Nature 5   1.25 0.625 0.625
Reactive Armor Temporal Inv 5   1.25 0.625 0.625
Razzle Dazzle Repulsion Bomb 6   2.5 2.5  
Explosive Strike Repulsion Field 3       1.88
Serenity Personal Force 5 3 1.25    
SUM   85 37 18.125 18.125 15.3325

For resistance:

Assign To Slot Accuracy En/Neg Fire/Cold S/L Tox/Psi
Salvo Single Shot 3   1.5 3    
Far Strike Single Shot 2         1.5
Salvo Charged Shot 3   1.5 3    
Far Strike Charged Shot 2         1.5
Shield Breaker Cutting Beam 5 11     2.25  
Salvo Disintegrate 3   1.5 3    
Far Strike Disintegrate 2         1.5
Salvo Lance 3   1.5 3    
Far Strike Lance 2         1.5
Salvo Penetrating Ray 3   1.5 3    
Far Strike Penetrating Ray 2         1.5
Shield Breaker Overcharge 5 11     2.25  
Curtailed Speed Time Wall 2       1.5  
Impeded Swiftness Time Wall 4   3   1.5  
Bonesnap Aging Touch 2     1.5    
Neuronic Shutdown Time Stop 4 7     2.25  
Unspeakable Terror Future Pain 6   3     4.5
Impeded Swiftness Time Shift 5   3 3.75 1.5  
Impervium Armor Time Lord 6     3.75   4.5
Gift of Ancient Personal Force 6   3.75 2.25   4.5
Impervium Armor Temporal Inv 6     3.75   4.5
Reactive Armor Force Of Nature 2       1.5  
Impervious Skin Force Of Nature 2       1.5  
SUM   84 39 20.25 30 14.25 25.5

I hope one of them is better than my previous build. 

Getting super good defenses/resistances/recharge/etc in a low level is complicated.

I will preface it by saying that emphasis in accuracy is not something that particularly needs to be chased after. We are fighting +0. Tweak your Mids to +0 (I believe it's 75%) and even exemplared down we should be safely in range considering some of the heftier accuracy bonuses that do not go away such as the purple sets. The best way to mimic exemplaring (since Mids does not at a baseline) is changing 'level of enhancements' to the level you'll be exemplared to.

Without shields (and even with them) it's hard to get good defenses above something like 25 or 30% at a very low level. If we were to focus on something I would say S/L defenses since a small purple insp can turn median but still porous defenses into a bullwark and S/L can be found mixed in pretty much everything.

Aiming for specific things like psi or toxic or even energy or negative can be a trap. These need consolidated stacking to be of use. Going from 3-4% to 15% may be good at a spreadsheet level but it will not keep someone alive in combat. Further more they are very specific and will not protect against the rest. Ranged or Melee or Smash/Slash defenses will work on most, especially Smash/Slash who will work for AoE, ranged and melee as long as this (very common) damage component is included, where for example Ranged protects against every ranged attack, but will do nothing against melee or AoE.

But a punch is melee but also Smashing, a bullet is ranged but also Slashing, an electric blast is ranged but has Smashing in it.

The use of inspirations is something that needs to be considered as well.

• Like 1

I test run my accuracy+resistance build on Kang's story arc. This build is better than that previous psi build since it can withstand a +1 mob with its hp still on yellow to green. The previous one loses at least 80% of its hp after engaging a +1 group. 

It's promising, but additional testing against other enemy factions is necessary. 

7 hours ago, Sovera said:

Aiming for specific things like psi or toxic or even energy or negative can be a trap.

Totally agree with that. My previous build only protects against psi. That is the reason why it doesn't fare well against non-seers. It still has better damage output, though. The recent one above mitigates that problem by covering all resistance stats. 

4 hours ago, Blackbird71 said:

This is really getting into the territory that would be better supported by a conversation in the Blaster AT forum

I planned to put any build that leverages enhancement sets into this post, regardless of the archetype. If it is necessary, I could separate others into their respective AT. 

• 3 weeks later
On 3/11/2021 at 8:28 AM, huang3721 said:

Imagine the numbers if I put purples.

Just for fun, I add a few purples into my build. I select all enhancement sets that increase Recharge Time. Then, I randomly put them into any available power. I prioritize enhancement sets with large bonuses, though. 

COrgzso.jpg

There are more than 100 sets, but I only need to consider a fraction of them, thanks to the rule of five.

The result is a glass cannon with minimum recharge time but no defense whatsoever:

Assign To Slot Recharge
Apocalypse Single Shot 5 10
Kinetic Crash Charged Shot 6 7.5
Positron's Blast Cutting Beam 5 6.25
Decimation Disintegrate 5 6.25
Absolute Amazement Lance Shot 5 10
Sting of the Manticore Penetrating Ray 5 7.5
Ragnarok Piercing Beam 5 10
Hecatomb Aging Touch 5 10
Basilisk's Gaze Time Stop 4 7.5
Armageddon End of Time 5 10
Preventive Medicine Temporal Healing 6 8.75
Glimpse of the Abyss Future Pain 5 6.25
Cloud Senses Time Shift 4 6.25
Reactive Defenses Force Field 6 8.75
Sudden Acceleration Repulsion Field 6 7.5
Kinetic Crash Repulsion Bomb 6 7.5
Sum   83 130

xrpaAoF.jpg

bLz0CN2.jpg

Hasten and Time Lord add 90%, so the final result is 130% + 90% = 220%.

@Sovera's suggestion not to chase accuracy starts to make sense now. Most enhancement sets have an accuracy bonus, even more so for purple sets. Accidental bonuses from purple sets are pretty huge.

EQin2MV.jpg

A4Tltn4.jpg

Now, time to go to Brainstorm, see how well this thing goes.

edit 2021/07/07

The build is usually fast enough to wipe out any incoming mob (+0 or +1) before they deal significant damage. It retains almost half of the bonuses at a low level, thanks to Purples. However, some mobs can be troublesome due to small defense. Once, a lucky pack of ghouls cut my HP down to 50% before dying. Fighting IDF soldiers without planning is not advisable.

Edited by huang3721
additional info

That's a great idea. Slot Steadfast Protection: Resistance/Defense and Gladiator's Armor: Teleportation Protection to Time Lord and Force of Nature for additional 2 x 3% Def.

Thanks.

Guqm4UH.jpg

edit 21/07/03

I can fight ambushes now! Maybe!

I wish I could also utilize those slots in Maneuver and that Hasten. 

edit 21/07/04

Put a Single Origin in Hasten. Now Hasten needs 130 seconds to recharge. Not bad.

Edited by huang3721
info

On 6/13/2021 at 11:06 AM, Blackbird71 said:

This is really getting into the territory that would be better supported by a conversation in the Blaster AT forum, as that's where the Builders hang out and provide feedback on builds.

I'm going to repeat myself from last month.  You're making a full build here; builds go in the AT forums.  It's better for everyone that way.  You get the focused feedback you need, and the next person coming along looking for advice on how to build a similar character can easily find the info.