How do you pronounce 'Superadine'?

1 hour ago, KauaiJim said:

Doesn't it seem like lately they have run out of good names and are just kind of making words up?

They all are.  There are always three names for pharmaceuticals - the chemical name, the common name and the brand name.  For example, isobutylphenylpropionic acid/ibuprofen/Advil.  The chemical name is basic and obvious, it's the chemical formula itself.  The common name is always derived from the chemical name.  Ibuprofen = isobutyl (ibu) propionic (pro) acid phenyl (fen).  That's marketable, but it's not copyrightable because it's basically just shorthand for the chemical name, so a third name is required, something a company can copyright.  Ergo, Advil.  Advil doesn't have a damn thing to do with the chemical or common names, it's just branding, but that branding is important because pharmaceutical patents aren't perpetual.  They expire, at which time anyone can manufacture the drug and sell it under their own brand name, or the common name (take a look at the NSAID section in any grocery or dollar store, you'll see ten different varieties of ibuprofen, including generic ibuprofen with no brand name, just the store logo).  The completely made up brand name gives the original patent holder a leg up on competition when the patent expires and everyone starts selling the same thing for a lower price, in different dosages or with their own combinations of other pharmaceuticals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I'm in the super-dine camp.  

I see no reason to pronounce every syllable ...especially if it's a Wednesday.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

5 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

I'm in the super-dine camp.  

I see no reason to pronounce every syllable ...especially if it's a Wednesday.

here here, SUPER-DINE, I never even noticed the other syllable until this thread.

Vee

"Reality TV, Just got Super!"

/su:prədaɪn/

People in Paragon City can be heard calling it the slang of 'dyne', with the /aɪ/ sound (like 'die-n'), which wouldn't make sense if it was /su:prədi:n/ with a long ee sound.

However, I also knowly say it wrong: it should be /su:pərədaɪn/ with an extra schwa to properly say the full 'super' AND the 'a' after it, but I can't be bothered with that. It's cumbersome to say, so I do it my way (which would probably be spelled more like Supradyne) to make it articulate together more easily for me (and possibly others, but there are many dialects so what comes more naturally off your tongue might be different).

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

12 hours ago, Saeletra said:

I'm one of those "Super-Dine" people. Because I read it wrong initially, and every other reading since has been awkward with extra syllables.

Or 'Dyne.

This.

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

33 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:
2 hours ago, Black Zot said:
5 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Special D,

Are we getting superpowers from cereal now?

😁  Special K ... as in Ketamine, so not cereal so much.

At least they didn't go for the obvious "your mom" joke.

(repost: had to fix the quote chain)

Most chemicals with an amine functional group are pronounced with an  -een or -in sound at the end, such as glycine, amphetamine, epinephrine imipramine, and cytosine. 

Given that superadine has no primary, secondary, or tertiary amine groups, I think it is very likely that it rhymes with fine.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mr. Vee said:

Despite how it's spelled it's actually pronounced "Throatwarbler Mangrove".

So it follows the Scots Gaelic pattern of putting a bunch of letters down then completely ignoring them in the pronunciation?  Got it.  😏

This thread has been a fun read, but is there really just one legit pronunciation?  I mean, isn't that part of accents and linguistic origins?  I still get a kick out of watching YouTube videos put out by Brits and hearing words I was 100% sure had only one pronunciation, only to hear a Brit offer something wildly different.  And both are technically correct depending on place of origin.

You probably just read "pronunciation" in your own accent's version.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerswin said:

Most chemicals with an amine functional group are pronounced with an  -een or -in sound at the end, such as glycine, amphetamine, epinephrine imipramine, and cytosine. 

Given that superadine has no primary, secondary, or tertiary amine groups, I think it is very likely that it rhymes with fine.

And on that note:  What exactly is the molecular structure of superadine?  Are we certain is has no amines?  Does Visine have amines?  Gasoline?  Trinitrotoluene? (scratch that last one hehe)  I just don't see how superadine can cause interdimensional travel without amine groups... (lol)

On a more serious note:  Is there no cut scene where this word is spoken?  I can't remember.  How about any old videos of Cryptic devs talking about it?  Curious how they were pronouncing it back in the day...  It's always embarrassing trying to purchase illegal narcotics and pronouncing it wrong!  

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

6 minutes ago, Techwright said:

You probably just read "pronunciation" in your own accent's version.

Where I'm from we call it 'per-noon-ky-ashen"!  😁

• Haha 3

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)