Which power set is better to go with poison

Washuchan

I was looking at making a new troller with the poison power, but I don't know which power to pair it with. I was looking at plant, but yet dark, fire, earth look nice to. I would like a power that goes well with poison.  In your guys/gals opinion which power brings the best bang for the buck. I have read that plant is a power house all around and I know earth is a good power for lock downs and cc. What does dark bring to the table with poison and if I recall right fire with poison is just a weak version of the plant build.

I have been over thinking this and I want to get back on the right on the road for this power set. All feed back, input, advice would be really helpful on this. Would levi epic power work with x/poison.?

Yes go with Plant. The high amount of -res from poison does crazy things to your confuse based damage. The -def in Envenom helps confused critters hit each other. The -def in Venomous Gas negates the -tohit when confused critters are fighting eachother. (-tohit debuffs have a negative effect on your confusion based damage output). All the -res in poison does some crazy things to all your proc based damage available in plant control, creepers in particular being unique to the set.

Looking at your other considerations, Dark has tohit debuffs that has poor synergy with Seeds of Confusion. Earth is a very low dps set that has poor synergy with -res debuffs. Fire would probably turn out as you said.

Plant/Poison will not disappoint. Here is build I run, which is similar to the build used by @Frosticus  , Progenitor of Poisons. 😆

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.1.25
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Plant Control
Secondary Power Set: Poison
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Stone Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Strangler -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg(3), GldJvl-Dam%(3), NrnSht-Dam%(5), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(5), GldNet-Dam%(7)
Level 1: Alkaloid -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(21), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(43), Prv-Heal/Rchg(46), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(50), Prv-Absorb%(50)
Level 2: Roots -- PstBls-Dam%(A), JvlVll-Dam%(7), TraoftheH-Dam%(13), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(15), Rgn-Dmg(15), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(17)
Level 4: Envenom -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), ShlBrk-%Dam(21), TchofLadG-%Dam(23)
Level 6: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 8: Seeds of Confusion -- Ccp-Dam%(A), MlsIll-Dam%(9), SprOvrPrs-Rchg/Energy Font(9), CrcPrs-Conf%(11), Range-I(11), Range-I(13)
Level 10: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(46)
Level 12: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(48)
Level 14: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(17), Rct-Def/EndRdx(19)
Level 16: Elixir of Life -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A)
Level 18: Tactics -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(19)
Level 20: Boxing -- AbsAmz-Stun(A), AbsAmz-Stun/Rchg(34), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(34), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(34), AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun(40)
Level 22: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(37)
Level 26: Carrion Creepers -- PstBls-Dam%(A), JvlVll-Dam%(27), ImpSwf-Dam%(27), ExpStr-Dam%(29), TraoftheH-Dam%(29), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(31)
Level 28: Paralytic Poison -- UnbCns-Dam%(A), GldNet-Dam%(31), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(31), NrnSht-Dam%(33)
Level 30: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Fly Trap -- ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(A), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(48)
Level 35: Poison Trap -- Arm-Dam%(A), Obl-%Dam(36), Erd-%Dam(36), ScrDrv-Dam%(36), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(37), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(37)
Level 38: Fissure -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(39), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(39), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), PstBls-Dam%(40), FrcFdb-Rechg%(40)
Level 41: Seismic Smash -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(42), TchofDth-Dam%(42), GldStr-%Dam(43), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(43)
Level 44: Rock Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(45), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(45), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(45)
Level 47: Venomous Gas -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Earth's Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- HO:Micro(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Heal(23), Pnc-Heal/+End(25), Mrc-Rcvry+(50)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(25), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(46)
Level 50: Nerve Core Paragon 
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Reactive Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Control Core Embodiment 
------------

• Like 3

Currently on fire.

Fire brings a good damage to go with your debuffs.  Plus a nice synergy with Hot Feet and Venomous Gas.

Earth/Poison just debuff the hell out of everything, but no damage to follow up.

I have also been thinking about doing an Illusion/Poison.  Since you can't buff PA you can certainly debuff for them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tacheyon said:

Plus a nice synergy with Hot Feet and Venomous Gas.

Your blue bar will also hate you. Hot Feet is base 1.04 eps and ven gas at half that value. /Poison also really needs to run Maneuevers, Tough, Weave, and epic shield. I don't use Ageless or Cardiac on my plant/poison but feel like I would need to for a Fire/Poison build to be sustainable.

Poison also wants to be able to devote as many slots as possible to proc damage to put value on its -res debuffs, which can make building in everything else quite tight. 

Regen set bonuses, self heal procs, absorb procs, and defensive set bonuses are all very valuable to a poisoneer. 

10 minutes ago, Tacheyon said:

I have also been thinking about doing an Illusion/Poison.  Since you can't buff PA you can certainly debuff for them.

Illusion/Poison would probably make for a good solo-AV character but would otherwise lack in speed compared to fire or plant. Compared to other Illusion based AV soloing builds, Poison does not have an internal recharge buff to get yourself to perma PA. 

With 100% slotted recharge in PA, you still need an additional 200% recharge on top of that, of which 70% is Hasten. 130% from set bonuses is a tough sell if you also want to proc load your damage, hit softcaps, and avoid using a recharge boosting alpha. There will be sacrifices made.

• Like 1

Currently on fire.

I'd also put in a recommendation for Ice/Poison/Stone. I have one and it does decent damage, debuffs everything to heck and back and can lock down mobs pretty handily. Poison is one of my favorites to pair with Ice Control but Plant will definitely do better.

• Like 1

I went with Elec on mine (Elec/Poison/Earth) for a couple of reasons. Two auras is nice to have. Solo Elecs sleep patch plays well with Poisons debuffs. Procced up Poison Gas Trap helps with damage as well as having a big old chunk of -Recovery for sapping. 

Plus overall theme was reasonably easy as a sentient computer virus. 

Ended up being a fun journey with a layered control approach. Never going to be S class amazing but solid, melee friendly and has lots of mez / control tricks. 

20 minutes ago, Carnifax said:

I went with Elec on mine (Elec/Poison/Earth) for a couple of reasons. Two auras is nice to have. Solo Elecs sleep patch plays well with Poisons debuffs. Procced up Poison Gas Trap helps with damage as well as having a big old chunk of -Recovery for sapping. 

Plus overall theme was reasonably easy as a sentient computer virus. 

Ended up being a fun journey with a layered control approach. Never going to be S class amazing but solid, melee friendly and has lots of mez / control tricks. 

I second Elec. The auras stack well.  The sleep is absolutely bonkers. And Poison offers that -Recovery. All those reasons are great.   But I just love the -Res, it helps Elec damage.

Technically Gremlins and Imps have the same AI as a lot of other pets, including Carrion Creeper vines. What makes them feel so boneheaded is their lack of ranged attacks and high run speed combined with the tendency of Fire and Electric players to stand very close to enemies, which gives the pet more leash to run off and aggro further off groups.

About two weeks ago I was playing a Mind/poison. If you juggle the poisons and confuse properly they give good value.

I can't speak to end game values or builds, but I had few issues soloing it out of Preatoria.  I was thinking of restarting them to attempt the Ironman Challenge.

• Like 3

Rerolling far too often, even by this game's standards.

On 6/3/2021 at 12:55 PM, McJigg said:

About two weeks ago I was playing a Mind/poison. If you juggle the poisons and confuse properly they give good value.

I can't speak to end game values or builds, but I had few issues soloing it out of Preatoria.  I was thinking of restarting them to attempt the Ironman Challenge.

Mind/Poison is a sneaky beast, I love mine.  Rarely if ever takes any damage, and just mows through your day-to-day content.  One of my favorite workflows in the game, to be honest.

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Dr. Jonas: Level 50 Technology Controller
Primary Power Set: Mind Control
Secondary Power Set: Poison
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Stone Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Mesmerize -- Dvs-Acc/Dmg(A), Dvs-Hold%(3)
Level 1: Alkaloid -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Absorb%(3)
Level 2: Dominate -- GhsWdwEmb-EndRdx/Hold(A), GhsWdwEmb-Acc/EndRdx(5), GhsWdwEmb-Acc/Hold/Rchg(5), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(7), Lck-%Hold(7), Dvs-Hold%(9)
Level 4: Envenom -- HO:Lyso(A), HO:Lyso(13), AchHee-ResDeb%(15)
Level 6: Weaken -- CldSns-ToHitDeb(A), CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(15), CldSns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(17), CldSns-%Dam(17)
Level 8: Super Jump -- Jump-I(A)
Level 10: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 12: Confuse -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(19), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(19), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(21), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(21), CrcPrs-Conf%(23)
Level 14: Mass Hypnosis -- FrtHyp-Sleep(A), FrtHyp-Sleep/Rchg(23), FrtHyp-Acc/Sleep/Rchg(25), FrtHyp-Acc/Rchg(25), FrtHyp-Sleep/EndRdx(27), FrtHyp-Plct%(27)
Level 16: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 18: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(29)
Level 20: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 22: Total Domination -- UnbCns-Hold(A), UnbCns-Hold/Rchg(29), UnbCns-Acc/Hold/Rchg(31), UnbCns-Acc/Rchg(31), UnbCns-EndRdx/Hold(31)
Level 24: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(33), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(33), UnbGrd-Max HP%(33), GldArm-3defTpProc(34), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(34)
Level 26: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(50)
Level 28: Paralytic Poison -- GhsWdwEmb-EndRdx/Hold(A), GhsWdwEmb-Acc/EndRdx(34), GhsWdwEmb-Acc/Hold/Rchg(36), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(36), Lck-%Hold(36)
Level 30: Terrify -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dam%(37), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(37), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(39), GlmoftheA-Dam%(39)
Level 32: Mass Confusion -- MlsIll-Acc/Rchg(A), MlsIll-EndRdx/Conf(39), MlsIll-Acc/EndRdx(40), MlsIll-Conf/Rng(40), MlsIll-Acc/Conf/Rchg(40), MlsIll-Dam%(42)
Level 35: Poison Trap -- ScrDrv-Dam%(A), Arm-Dam%(42), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(42), Erd-%Dam(43), NrnSht-Dam%(43), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(43)
Level 38: Venomous Gas -- HO:Enzym(A), HO:Enzym(45), AchHee-ResDeb%(45)
Level 41: Fissure -- SuddAcc-KB/Acc(A), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(45), PstBls-Dam%(46), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(46)
Level 44: Seismic Smash -- Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Dam%(46), TchofDth-Dam%(48), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(48), NrnSht-Dam%(48), Mk'Bit-Dam%(50)
Level 47: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(50)
Level 49: Rock Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(9), Pnc-Heal/+End(11)
Level 2: Stamina -- SynSck-EndMod(A), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(11), PrfShf-End%(13)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
------------

• Like 2

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

• 2 weeks later
On 6/1/2021 at 9:18 PM, 5099y_74c05 said:

TLDR My vote is Dark/Poison. Dark is power pick hungry, Poison is full of skippables. Dark's -ToHit adds an extra layer of mitigation as you control

Of the /Poison combos I've played Elec/Poison, Ill/Poison and Plant/Poison stand out with the last two being strong team and solo builds. Elec/Poison can be strong too but it requires PROCs to get it going; its weird combo that is pretty good at sapping once you get PPT.  Ice/Poison was fun but a bit disappointing as I paired them to stack Slow cones; it is still one of the better Ice/ pairs IMO up there with /Time and /Cold.

I would like to try Fire/Poison and Grav/Poison. I think they both has some fun potential, but toxic (PPT) Bonfires sounds like fun

Earth/ is a good choice too since two of its powers are persistent pulsing controls, EQ and VG. This is a good consideration since this allows you to apply debuffs while your controls do their thing. EQ plus Weaken means noone is getting hit at the lower levels. VG + PPT has a decent chance to lock everything down. Quicksand + Envenom is a strong early game DEF debuff stack, throw in Neurotoxic Breath + QS and you'll be -Speed capping lots of enemies in the early game too. Just bare in mind the arc on NB is fairly narrow.

Dark/ is a strong rival to Earth/ with lots of good controls and an overall -ToHit Debuff applied anytime you apply your controls; this goes well with Weaken. Dark only has one persistent AoE control but you get Posses, Haunt and Fearsome Stare. I actually regret not rolling my Earth/Poison as a Dark/Poison now, the concept would fit too. Both Dark/ and /Poison sets have big PROC potential too.

Dark/Poison gets my vote

Yes, I came here just to say Dark/Poison. It's a fantastic choice with tons of areas for proc slotting as well.

I also have a Mind/Poison/Primal that I enjoy playing. This was intended to be a sort of goof-ball character, but with lots of AoE and heavy leveraging of %damage procs, I find that he is a very capable solo character. I should note that my goofball doesn't leverage many of the (secondary) Poison powers; this is a conscious choice that makes him slightly less effective (on teams) than he could otherwise be:

Secondary choices:

• Alkaloid (slotted with Miracle +Recovery only), This helps (me) during low level TFs. Other powers act as mules for other pieces.
  • Envenom (6-slotted: 4xShield Breaker w/ %damage, Achilles' Heel %-Res, Touch of Lady Grey %damage)
  • Weaken (skipped; should I ever drop another power this would be the first power I add into the build)
  • Neurotoxic Breath (skipped; no great %damage, my character is less about 'control')
  • Elixir of Life (mule for the Gladiator's Armor global)
  • Antidote (skipped) Sorry teammates, I know you have a Break Free in your pocket!
  • Paralytic Poison (6-slotted, 3xGladiator's Net with 4x %damage procs)
  • Poison Trap (6-slotted, 5xArmaggedon plus an extra %damage proc) <- I opted for Armageddon as opposed to 'proc-monstering' this because I wanted the global Recovery, Accuracy, and Recharge bonuses. I play a lot of lower-level content.
  • Venomous Gas (skipped), see below

I tried to make Venomous Gas work for this character, but it simply wasn't working for the ranged attacker I built him into, especially with Terrify and Energy Torrent as cone attacks; every other offensive or control option works at range, aside from Poison Trap. In addition to being a ranged attacker, I wasn't going to be able to improve Defenses and Resistances enough to want to put him in close combat. I spent most of the time between levels 40-50 trying different play styles and slotting options; Venomous Gas simply wasn't a power for this character.

• Thumbs Down 1

• 2 months later

Three PBAoE auras procced out plus Indomitable Will to protect your toggles is a very fun combo. AKA Fire/, Ice/, or Elec/Poison/Psy scrapper.

If you play at level 50 the majority of the time, you can basically ignore posters’ comments about endurance. There is not one build in the game that should have endurance problems if Incarnates are included.

Beware of Bonfire though as it’s currently broken and will be fixed.

Edited by arcane

Spoiler
6 hours ago, arcane said:

Three PBAoE auras procced out plus Indomitable Will to protect your toggles is a very fun combo. AKA Fire/, Ice/, or Elec/Poison/Psy scrapper.

If you play at level 50 the majority of the time, you can basically ignore posters’ comments about endurance. There is not one build in the game that should have endurance problems if Incarnates are included.

Beware of Bonfire though as it’s currently broken and will be fixed.

whats broken about bonfire seems to work normal for me unless im missing something here threw one down it knocked enemies up fire/earth domi did not have domi going not that it matters for bonfire but that should be about what a troller has

54 minutes ago, PainX said:
  Hide contents

whats broken about bonfire seems to work normal for me unless im missing something here threw one down it knocked enemies up fire/earth domi did not have domi going not that it matters for bonfire but that should be about what a troller has

I think they mean broken as in OP with the kb->kd

14 hours ago, Arcadio said:

I think they mean broken as in OP with the kb->kd

Its tick rate is much faster than any actual KD patch - between that and the damage, it becomes wayyy better than Ice Slick or Earthquake once you slot KB->KD. Though, even so, it’s probably only really all that overpowered in practice on blasters.

But don’t take my word for it. I’m just waiting to see it come up in future patch notes.

Edited by arcane

15 hours ago, arcane said:

Its tick rate is much faster than any actual KD patch - between that and the damage, it becomes wayyy better than Ice Slick or Earthquake once you slot KB->KD. Though, even so, it’s probably only really all that overpowered in practice on blasters.

But don’t take my word for it. I’m just waiting to see it come up in future patch notes.

blaster who is solo yes maybe but kind of a very specific situation on a team you should not be wasting 3s doing support on a blaster tbh just get like a corr or defender and they will have a KD patch that also provides 30% -res making it instantly better then bonfire and yes fast ticks but it's a case of you dont need that fast ticks what so ever sleet for example is better by far neuters defense provides -res and makes enemies fall down bonfire has some dmg but it is not even a decent aoe takes 45s to do that dmg

• 3 weeks later

I just managed to get my Illusion/Poison Controller to 50 on Excelsior, but I lean more on Illusion than Poison. Being a 'wizard', he only uses potions so he lobs a lot of vials around (Alkaloid, Antidote and Elixir of Life). I'm sure if I picked up Envenom, fights would go a whole lot quicker since Illusion Control packs such a wallop but he's not a min-max build. Illusion is handy if you don't like getting hit, and Spectral Terror does a nice job at tanking a mobs ToHit chance, stay within the protective radius of your howling specter and you should be alright (for the mostpart). Phantom Army and Phantasm are great for just making a mess of things. Sure, they do knockback from time-to-time but it's hard to be disappointed with three additional targets (five with Phantasm and it's Decoy), three of which (four with Phantasm's Decoy) are totally impervious to harm. I have had my Phantasm peel aggro off me when I back off and stop being so aggressive so you kind of get your own personal tank. Unfortunately, you can't directly control any of them (not like a Mastermind) so you have to be mindful of your pets for personal safety reasons (not theirs). Get used to dismissing your pets in order to keep the chance of random aggro from happening. Deceive is a literal life-saver. Angry mob in your grill? Deceive and they leave you alone. Angry mob on your buddy? Deceive and they leave them alone. Special mob buffing enemy mobs? Deceive and it will now start buffing/healing you (and your party). Illusion Control is fun. 🙂

• Like 1