MassivelyOP Article on City of Heroes 2

Apparition

I always figured CoH2 development wasn't 100% canceled.  It was stopped with only 20 levels completed and turned into what we commonly refer to as Gold Side now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

On 9/17/2021 at 12:23 PM, Apparition said:

Well, there is precedent for the idea in Kallisti Wharf.  The left side of the zone is the hero side, nice and clean.  While the right side of the zone is the villain side, with lower class housing and warehouses. 

If history in the real world has taught me anything this is reversed.  Villains would always have the nicest stuff.  

One of the things about CoH that always boggled my mind was how gangs that messed around with demons (Hellions) or death (Skulls) are considered low-level threats, while glorified LARPers like the Warriors are tougher.  The whole dynamic seems out of whack, (though I guess the same logic is applied when the Joker can suddenly pose a threat to Superman, when the plot demands it)...

Edited by biostem

23 minutes ago, biostem said:

One of the things about CoH that always boggled my mind was how gangs that messed around with demons (Hellions) or death (Skulls) are considered low-level threats, while glorified LARPers like the Warriors are tougher.  The whole dynamic seems out of whack, (though I guess the same logic is applied when the Joker can suddenly pose a threat to Superman, when the plot demands it)...

And that is why I struggled with mainstream comic book protagonists. My favorite character is Batman, but I loathe reading anything to do with him when he is some how able to fight dimension altering beings with his "wit and prowess."

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

1 hour ago, Glacier Peak said:

And that is why I struggled with mainstream comic book protagonists. My favorite character is Batman, but I loathe reading anything to do with him when he is some how able to fight dimension altering beings with his "wit and prowess."

Don't underestimate the power of Batman's dark forebodingness.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

13 hours ago, Seed22 said:

Also, maybe drop a link? Saying X study with no link is what the Facebook crowd does.

Based on your post, you're clearly far more interested in attacking and insulting me than in actually learning anything and possibly changing your outlook.

Besides, if I do provide a link, instead of reading the information and possibly even changing your mind, you're far more likely to just state that they're an unreliable source because they don't agree with your political beliefs and then use that as an excuse to attack my intelligence, again.

Also, I'm not google. Do your own research.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

14 hours ago, Seed22 said:

Also, maybe drop a link? Saying X study with no link is what the Facebook crowd does.

Inequality and Violent Crime, Pablo Fajnzylber, Daniel Lederman, World Bank, Journal of Law and Economics, 2002. This study looks at data from 37 countries over the period of 1970 - 1994. However, Does Inequality really increase Crime? Theory and Evidence, Alejandro Corvalan, Matteo Pazzona analyzes the correlation on a more theoretical basis, and suggests that the correlation is not so simplistic, and depends on a broader constellation of causes.

Edited by srmalloy
  • Like 2

Citing sources! Very, ah, exciting!

But, yes, we are discussing a game (inherently a simulation) based on a genre which has its own filters and tropes.

In the real world? Crime does pay, and billionaires can usually walk away with a wrist slap or a financial penalty. (c.f. the Sacklers.)

Comic book morality and criminology are less rigorously researched, though there are exceptions.

Just saying, we're talking about a simulation of an abstraction of the real world. Reality can inform our discussion, but in this context, we shouldn't take it as definitive.

How I wish for the opposite: That all the real world problems boiled down to Nemesis plots and alien invasions. If only!

Edited by DoctorDitko
OCD
  • Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 9/20/2021 at 7:21 AM, Crysis said:

If history in the real world has taught me anything this is reversed.  Villains would always have the nicest stuff.  

Sadly, this does often seem to be the case.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

8 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

In the real world? Crime does pay, and billionaires can usually walk away with a wrist slap or a financial penalty.

I'm reminded of the chain of consequences "Reading gives you knowledge... and knowledge is power... and power corrupts... and corruption is a crime... and crime doesn't pay... So if you keep reading, you'll go broke!"

• Haha 2

City of Heroes 2 was in production / a working pitch awaiting approval at the time of shutdown. We have some proof as David Nakayama, who I believe was art director at the time, had a few concept art pieces to share after shutdown. The rest was taken to the grave with Paragon Studios.

The images attached are described as "Character exploration for a proposed CITY OF HEROES 2."

eeda0540901553.5606e9b33d201.jpg

71f53c40901551.5606ec612ed99.jpg

"All thoughts of retreat are discarded as counterproductive, there is no other course of action but to press on. You've been caught in an unseen orbit, around a power you cannot possibly fathom."

Everlasting - Gradivus, Amarillo Starlight, Hullbreak, Hyperblink, Matchlight
Previously on Guardian, Triumph, Liberty, and Freedom

13 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

Citing sources! Very, ah, exciting!

But, yes, we are discussing a game (inherently a simulation) based on a genre which has its own filters and tropes.

In the real world? Crime does pay, and billionaires can usually walk away with a wrist slap or a financial penalty. (c.f. the Sacklers.)

Comic book morality and criminology are less rigorously researched, though there are exceptions.

Just saying, we're talking about a simulation of an abstraction of the real world. Reality can inform our discussion, but in this context, we shouldn't take it as definitive.

How I wish for the opposite: That all the real world problems boiled down to Nemesis plots and alien invasions. If only!

Dunno about that. Imagine how many people randomly die every day from some random disaster in CoX. As bad as the real world is, the worst thing around that happens regularly is a war. There's multiple wars simultaneously in CoX. Multiple densely populated neighborhoods are completely destroyed along with presumably many of the inhabitants. Not to mention every other person out on the streets is some sort of super powered criminal out for blood. If we had CoX problems irl society would have already fallen due to unsustainable body counts. You can't even go to the grocery store without risking your life. It is not an environment conducive to productive economic activity. 

3 hours ago, Drakwatch said:

City of Heroes 2 was in production / a working pitch awaiting approval at the time of shutdown. We have some proof as David Nakayama, who I believe was art director at the time, had a few concept art pieces to share after shutdown. The rest was taken to the grave with Paragon Studios.

The images attached are described as "Character exploration for a proposed CITY OF HEROES 2."

eeda0540901553.5606e9b33d201.jpg

71f53c40901551.5606ec612ed99.jpg

So it would have been City of Freakshows? 

24 minutes ago, A Cat said:

Not enough pockets. 

And I can see feet.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

18 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Anybody get the feeling all that money we donated for "the next City of Heroes" after the great snap....went to finance somebody's tentacle pron collection?

Suckers.  I just grew my own tentacles and <redacted> <redacted> my <redacted>.

• Haha 4

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

Anybody get the feeling all that money we donated for "the next City of Heroes" after the great snap....went to finance somebody's tentacle pron collection?

WHUT?  Say it ain't so!

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

10 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

This thread is suddenly about Praetorian Hamidon lore...

On tonight's episode of Inquiring Minds: how dangerous are breast implant explosions?  Special guest Dr. Raymond Keyes gives us the inside scoop!

• Haha 3

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Of course city of heroes 2 would have more crime.  Can you imagine a game where you create a hero and then walk the peaceful streets all day hoping a cat will get stuck in a tree just to break the silence and boredom?

'What did you do today honey?'

'Well I stepped in some gum and picked up two pieces of trash.  So a pretty busy and exciting day.'

2 hours ago, TheZag said:

Of course city of heroes 2 would have more crime.  Can you imagine a game where you create a hero and then walk the peaceful streets all day hoping a cat will get stuck in a tree just to break the silence and boredom?

'What did you do today honey?'

'Well I stepped in some gum and picked up two pieces of trash.  So a pretty busy and exciting day.'

How much XP is the gum worth?

On 9/17/2021 at 11:23 AM, Shenanigunner said:

*applause* However, the body of work in sociology in general confirms that most crime, especially when measured in value amounts, is from greed, not need. You don't have to get into questionable niche fields to deeply undermine the idea that poverty breeds a criminal mindset, and (especially, as here) vice versa.

But this is a game, and games are meant to be fun.

Absolutely not true. My profession is in this field and you are wrong. You couldn't be more wrong if your name was Mr. Wrong and you were the mayor of Wrongville.