Whirlwind without the Spin ? Literally get motion sickness - Null the gull please ?

plainguy

Call me a light weight or a wuss.. I'm okay with it..  

But could we Null the gull the spin on whirlwind  and just make it a tornado around the player.. 

OR does someone have a work around to stop spinning ?

I like the power and I have it into my build but I am thinking I need to respec out of it, because I just can't whirlwind constantly, which the build sort of can do endurance wise.. I have it with a KD and +Recharge..  

But again the spinning after a while gets me sick..  

Anyone else get any motion sickness from it ? 

Mind you Know many don't I just might be extra sensitive.. I know I can't play first person games because if it as well.  

To clarify I just picked up on the build and was just messing around with it. 

Edited by plainguy
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

I don't recall the last time I took this power, but refresh me... it's just the alt/toon that spins, and not the player's viewpoint?

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

image.gif.c8cbdd3ab052e1e46beb4586b603b5d4.gif

• Thumbs Down 3

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

20 hours ago, arcane said:

There’s zero reason this needs to be a null option; it should work as a simple costume option since it’s solely cosmetic and does nothing to how the power functions. Signed, as a costume option 😉

This, really.

I've been sort of "eh" about the option before, but thematically it still fits, given the graphic (as I'm recalling) still looks like a whirling cone of force/wind/whatever around the character, it'd still fit the name/idea *and* open up the power for concepts that don't involve hyperballet. ;)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

20 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

I don't recall the last time I took this power, but refresh me... it's just the alt/toon that spins, and not the player's viewpoint?

Bump; I didn't see an answer.

Is the OP really saying that the image of a spinning alt gives them motion sickness? (Not arguing or being dismissive, just tryn'a unnerstand.)

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

2 minutes ago, Arcadio said:

Yes, it's just the character model.

Thanks. I do have some experience with screen-shake and viewpoint motion sickness (a family member, not me), but I am surprised that a spinning object in an otherwise steady display can cause problems, Huh.

I've heard of odd things causing odd problems, so I'm not going to dismiss the thought that someone gets motion sick / vertigo / dizzy watching their character spin.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

20 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Thanks. I do have some experience with screen-shake and viewpoint motion sickness (a family member, not me), but I am surprised that a spinning object in an otherwise steady display can cause problems, Huh.

I tried to play Day Z back in the day and immediately got motion sickness from it. It has never happened to in any other non-vr game. Motion sickness works in mysterious ways, lol!

Just pulling a WAG out of... thin air, I'd bet it has something to do with player attention. Those who focus hard on the screen and activities are more likely to be affected; those who don't "embed" quite so strongly aren't.

Not sure how easy/hard this would be to fix. To simply remove the animation or substitute another that's "good enough" might be easy; to make it selectable or make a whirlwind around the alt might be tougher.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 1:37 PM, Wavicle said:

Why though? Seems to me it's a good suggestion, and I agree with the commenter who said it can just be a costume option instead of Null.

I can't imagine that this affects a significant portion of the players and I'm tired of everything being changed for the 0.01% to the detriment of the 99.99%.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

15 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I can't imagine that this affects a significant portion of the players and I'm tired of everything being changed for the 0.01% to the detriment of the 99.99%.

Like colorblind mode and accessibility ramps, a costume change option would have zero effect on you should you elect not to use it yourself.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

Like colorblind mode and accessibility ramps, a costume change option would have zero effect on you should you elect not to use it yourself.

Except that it would.

There's an opportunity cost involved. If the Council of 13 is working on coding this that's time they could have spent coding in something else.

It would be one thing if, like Sonic Bubbles, it affected a lot of people and the effect was placed on to other characters, but that's not the case with Whirlwind. Don't like the look, then don't take it. Problem solved. In the entire time I've played on Homecoming I've seen one, exactly 1, person use this. So it wouldn't be hard to move so that you don't see them or just not team with that one player.

Also, I'm old, nearly blind and red-green color blind on top of that. I've bought a larger monitor to make it easier for me to game. I change the color of my UI and I never pair red and green on a character's costume. When I'm making a character I often ask other people to look at my screen and tell me what color something is. Now could the devs do a bunch of work to make things easier for me? Sure they could. They could add the names of every color to tool tips and do a powers pass to make sure that every NPC's power is a different color than all of the other colors so that I can actually see each individual power, especially in a group setting.

Am I asking them to do that? No. Why not? Because I would much rather see the developers work on stuff that benefits all of you instead of working on stuff that will only benefit myself.

• Thumbs Down 4

8 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Just pulling a WAG out of... thin air, I'd bet it has something to do with player attention. Those who focus hard on the screen and activities are more likely to be affected; those who don't "embed" quite so strongly aren't.

There are enough people for whom the 'head bob' seen in most first-person games causes vertigo that virtually every FPS and MMO that has head bob includes a setting to disable it. Or the people who have problems with VR because of the disjoin between what their eyes see and what their inner ear is telling them.

• Like 2