What ever happened to the Gadgetry Powerpool?

PeregrineFalcon

I've been waiting for awhile to roll up some real high-tech heroes using the Gadgetry Powerpool. According to the Homecoming Wiki it's supposed to have drones, jetpacks and shoulder launched missiles. Ok, I may have just made that last one up, but can you blame me? Tell me you don't want a shoulder launched missile for some of your characters.

Anyway...  Does anyone have any idea if this is ever going to be released? Have the devs already talked about this and I just totally missed it? I'm stuck at work and, due to technical issues, I can't actually do any work right now. Help me out. 🙂

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Reading that wiki article raises couple questions about the 2 drone powers. 

"Blaster Drone: You fire a series of blasts from a sophisticated energy drone. Wrist Blaster deals Moderate energy damage ...."

What is a "wrist blaster"?

Also, will you need to resummon the drone each time you want it to fire? Or will it be the first "pet" that you can tell when you want it to fire? 

I see some serious issue with the drone.

Edited by SuperPlyx

+1 it could be great and funny but i want to mention 2 things :

- rework of AR line (one of the least played power pool) 

- rework of the epic pool with the LRM launcher, this epic pool is nearly unusable (bad resist, LRM so long to use with not amazing dmg, ...)

1 hour ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Does anyone have any idea if this is ever going to be released?

Given it's on Thunderspy and the HC devs are extremely reluctant to use other servers' ideas, I don't see it ever happening.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

Ah the booby trap...that how my ex wife got me. 

Great for missions that go tits-up when it's an AV (such as an ex) at the end.

• Haha 2

UPDATED: v4.10 Technical Guide (27p7)... 158 pages of complete, comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Given that Homecoming completed the Force of Will and Experimentation Origin Pools, I'm not sure the fact that other servers out there have completed Gadgetry and Utility Belt is any reason for Homecoming not to finish them.

Gadgetry seems the most simple in terms of animations.  Hitting the correct values of -Regen, however, might be where things get tricky.  Also, as a Tier 5, Force Barrier is really lacklustre as just a temporary Absorb shield.

Utility Belt has the stumbling block of Bolas.  Getting an animation for THAT is potentially going to require some original assets.  But folks in these forums have offered suggestions in the past on how to get around that, so it's not like there aren't some good ideas.

I also think it would be cool if Athletics could give you an Endurance Recovery Buff as long as you're holding still.  Achievable by having the Power periodically drop invisible pseudopets which have a very small Auto Recovery Aura effect which only targets the user.  Really set it apart from Infiltration as a Travel Power that way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Basically, my character that's a robot from the future, who may or may not have a phase plasma rifle in a 40 watt range, really needs to have some flying drones.

And of course my other character, who's from a place far far away, could really make use of a nano net and a jetpack.

Also, thank you so much for the possible animation Luminara. As is often the case I agree with your suggestion. 🙂

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

2 hours ago, xl8 said:

Given it's on Thunderspy and the HC devs are extremely reluctant to use other servers' ideas, I don't see it ever happening.

It's not another servers "idea" though.  These origin pools were all dreamt up by Paragon Studios.  There were to be origin pools for each origin which means a few more were accounted for and was in the coding passed along in sekret.  Building onto that coding with their own ideas sure no need to be a lemming to another server in that regard.  But there's no reason not to have the other missing origin pools.  

I think they're just going to hold off on introducing those other ones so they have some original powers they can pull from when they choose.  They can introduce some new power sets with some of those powers and call it fresh.  

Edited by Mezmera

2 hours ago, xl8 said:

No, many other servers are very happy to use the spaghetti on wall approach and throw stuff out there, no matter how complete or stable it is.  (And wipe or roll things back when, oops, that must be why it wasn't live, it broke stuff.)

HC seems to take a more cautious approach and actually... have things *work.* And look decent. More ... like a development house.  Given they're in negotiations with NC for licensing and whatnot, being shown to be serious (and cautious and thoughtful) about maintaining and developing it further is a *good* thing.

Also, there are two 'branches' of code servers seem to be using, and from my understanding not everything is compatible. One uses "just as it was on shutdown" code and goes off from there, the other (including HC) uses code expanded and worked on since through SCORE (and possibly others.) '

There's no "That other server uses it, so now it has their stench, we'll never touch it" involved.

• Thanks 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

22 minutes ago, Greycat said:

HC seems to take a more cautious approach and actually... have things *work.* And look decent. More ... like a development house.  Given they're in negotiations with NC for licensing and whatnot, being shown to be serious (and cautious and thoughtful) about maintaining and developing it further is a *good* thing.

HC has a huge player base that provides most of the feedback; check the patch notes.

The powerset works very well and looks great on TS.

24 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Also, there are two 'branches' of code servers seem to be using, and from my understanding not everything is compatible

This is true.

25 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Given they're in negotiations with NC for licensing and whatnot

There's zero evidence of this. If i were true, why would it go on for years and why would they be threatening legal action against other servers already?

2 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Basically, my character that's a robot from the future, who may or may not have a phase plasma rifle in a 40 watt range, really needs to have some flying drones.

And of course my other character, who's from a place far far away, could really make use of a nano net and a jetpack.

Also, thank you so much for the possible animation Luminara. As is often the case I agree with your suggestion. 🙂

Can't you just get by with a .45 long slide with lazer sighting and a 12 gauge auto loader?

• Thumbs Up 2

57 minutes ago, xl8 said:

threatening legal action against other servers already?

Citation, please?

• Thumbs Up 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Utility Belt and Gadgetry was in the files as far back as November 12th, 2012. Safe to say the idea did not come from any of the post-shutdown servers.

Screenshot_20210921-202931_Chrome.thumb.jpg.81e8115d94d6970268aa912df2936057.jpg

The likely possible reasons for not having these origin pools on HC yet are:

• Priorities/Time constraints
  • Graphics
  • Balance of these new origin powers
  • Planned overhaul of all Origin Pools (Sorcery got this, so it's fair to assume the other pools and future pools could have similar overhauls in mind)
  • Code/engine development (maybe a new form of travel could be introduced, like I picture Utility Belt using Grappling Lines like in DCUO - this is wishful thinking)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

11 hours ago, xl8 said:

It basically already has in some regards. The recent rework of Afterburner is basically Jetpack's Turbo Boost with a new coat of paint. The power itself is even called "Fly_Boost" internally.

I have my own theory on why these pools aren't going to get added, but it has nothing to do with OuroDev servers and more to do with how the HC player base has interacted with what's already provided. My forecast is we'll start to see more of what works cannibalized from the unfinished sets and incorporated into reworks of existing powers.

10 hours ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

Also, as a Tier 5, Force Barrier is really lacklustre as just a temporary Absorb shield.

I've played with this power on Sanctuary and Thunderspy and emphatically disagree. In it's 'current' state, with proper slotting you're looking at an absorb barrier that caps at your AT's base HP but with a 50% uptime. I mostly used this on /Regen characters to great effect, but I'd be drooling to have it available on any number of other AT/set combos. Especially Blasters and Doms. Or just my Inv/SS Tanker because I wanna. 

In line with my aforementioned tinfoil hat theory, I'd expect to see this power make it's actual debut as part of a rework to the Forcefield set.

16 hours ago, xl8 said:

There's zero evidence of this. If i were true, why would it go on for years and why would they be threatening legal action against other servers already?

Right. So what you're saying is HC is a pack of liars who just *say* they've been talking to HC?

Also, the "go on for years" has been discussed elsewhere. Easy enough to find.

Legal action against other servers is between those servers and NC and frankly about as relevant as saying "Oh yeah? Well if my car's out of gas how come my microwave still works?"

• Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.