Silencing/Modifying specific game sounds

Oubliette_Red

Hi! Thank you so much, @Oubliette_Red and @The Philotic Knight for continuing to work on this!

I'm trying to modify Greater Fire Sword to get rid of the ghostly shriek at beginning, and I'm having Some success, but only partial.

I was able to silence the file "firestreaks3", but there seems to be another sound that plays not when I simply draw the GFS but when I actually attack (hit?) something with it. The spreadsheet doesn't seem to identify that file.

Any ideas?

Also, I would like to replace "firestreaks3" with (I think) "FireSword4". Does someone have that ogg file?

If not, is my best to download the pigg viewer that was mentioned upthread? Otherwise I was thinking I might try to record the sound using OBS, but that seems like a lot of work, lol.

Edited by Wavicle

8 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

Hi! Thank you so much, @Oubliette_Red and @The Philotic Knight for continuing to work on this!

I'm trying to modify Greater Fire Sword to get rid of the ghostly shriek at beginning, and I'm having Some success, but only partial.

I was able to silence the file "firestreaks3", but there seems to be another sound that plays not when I simply draw the GFS but when I actually attack (hit?) something with it. The spreadsheet doesn't seem to identify that file.

Any ideas?

Also, I would like to replace "firestreaks3" with (I think) "FireSword4". Does someone have that ogg file?

If not, is my best to download the pigg viewer that was mentioned upthread? Otherwise I was thinking I might try to record the sound using OBS, but that seems like a lot of work, lol.

Thanks for the shout out @Wavicle. 🙂

Sadly, I lost my library of unpackaged game SFX files for the game when my secondary drive took a dump.  

• Sad 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Just now, Oubliette_Red said:

Thanks for the shout out @Wavicle. 🙂

Sadly, I lost my library of unpackaged game SFX files for the game when my secondary drive took a dump.  

Thanks anyway! Maybe I'll get it eventually.

The fix for the GFS hit didn't quite work, I'm still working on that one...

46 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

Thanks anyway! Maybe I'll get it eventually.

The fix for the GFS hit didn't quite work, I'm still working on that one...

You can always go through PK's Pigg Viewer steps, it's pretty quick and straight forward. I managed to do it since your last post and found the one SFX file you wanted. You just have to rename it and drop it into the appropriate folder.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Just now, Oubliette_Red said:

You can always go through PK's Pigg Viewer steps, it's pretty quick and straight forward. I managed to do it since your last post and found the one SFX file you wanted. You just have to rename it and drop it into the appropriate folder.

That's fantastic, thank you so much!

That fixes the weapon draw sound.

I'm still looking for the name of the file that is playing on GFS activation, I tried everything listed in the CoD entry and nothing worked, so I think you're right the pigg viewer is the next step, to find that exact ogg.

3 hours ago, Wavicle said:

That's fantastic, thank you so much!

That fixes the weapon draw sound.

I'm still looking for the name of the file that is playing on GFS activation, I tried everything listed in the CoD entry and nothing worked, so I think you're right the pigg viewer is the next step, to find that exact ogg.

Just a quick gander at PK's Rosetta Stone and the only other file I can recommend checking is 'FireWeapon3.ogg'
I'm sure there are others.

1 minute ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Just a quick gander at PK's Rosetta Stone and the only other file I can recommend checking is 'FireWeapon3.ogg'
I'm sure there are others.

Yea, that’s one of the ones I tried…no luck yet.

I’ll report back if I figure it out.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Wavicle said:

Yea, that’s one of the ones I tried…no luck yet.

I’ll report back if I figure it out.

Here's what I'm seeing for that power:

TANKER_MELEE.FIERY_MELEE GREATER_FIRE_SWORD ACTIVATIONFX POWERS\FIRECONTROL\FIREWEAPON3.FX SOUND\OGG\POWERS\GLOW3_LOOP   

TANKER_MELEE.FIERY_MELEE GREATER_FIRE_SWORD ACTIVATIONFX POWERS\FIRECONTROL\FIREWEAPON3.FX SOUND\OGG\POWERS\FIRESWORD_LOOP  

TANKER_MELEE.FIERY_MELEE GREATER_FIRE_SWORD ACTIVATIONFX POWERS\FIRECONTROL\FIREWEAPON3.FX SOUND\OGG\POWERS\FIRESTREAKS3  

TANKER_MELEE.FIERY_MELEE GREATER_FIRE_SWORD ATTACKFX POWERS\FIRECONTROL\FIRESTREAKS3.FX SOUND\OGG\POWERS\FIRESTREAKS2  

TANKER_MELEE.FIERY_MELEE GREATER_FIRE_SWORD HITFX POWERS\FIRECONTROL\FIREWEAPONHIT2.FX SOUND\OGG\POWERS\ATOMICBLAST3  

TANKER_MELEE.FIERY_MELEE GREATER_FIRE_SWORD HITFX POWERS\FIRECONTROL\FIREWEAPONHIT2.FX SOUND\OGG\POWERS\FIREEXPLO  

TANKER_MELEE.FIERY_MELEE GREATER_FIRE_SWORD ACTIVATIONFX CUSTOMIZEABLEPOWERS\FIERYMELEE\FIREWEAPON2.FX SOUND\OGG\POWERS\FIRESWORD4  

Is is not any of those? Try replacing them all with a second of silence, then record what's left, and we can help look into it further.

I'm out.

3 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Here's what I'm seeing for that power:

TANKER_MELEE.FIERY_MELEE GREATER_FIRE_SWORD ACTIVATIONFX POWERS\FIRECONTROL\FIREWEAPON3.FX SOUND\OGG\POWERS\GLOW3_LOOP   

TANKER_MELEE.FIERY_MELEE GREATER_FIRE_SWORD ACTIVATIONFX POWERS\FIRECONTROL\FIREWEAPON3.FX SOUND\OGG\POWERS\FIRESWORD_LOOP  

TANKER_MELEE.FIERY_MELEE GREATER_FIRE_SWORD ACTIVATIONFX POWERS\FIRECONTROL\FIREWEAPON3.FX SOUND\OGG\POWERS\FIRESTREAKS3  

TANKER_MELEE.FIERY_MELEE GREATER_FIRE_SWORD ATTACKFX POWERS\FIRECONTROL\FIRESTREAKS3.FX SOUND\OGG\POWERS\FIRESTREAKS2  

TANKER_MELEE.FIERY_MELEE GREATER_FIRE_SWORD HITFX POWERS\FIRECONTROL\FIREWEAPONHIT2.FX SOUND\OGG\POWERS\ATOMICBLAST3  

TANKER_MELEE.FIERY_MELEE GREATER_FIRE_SWORD HITFX POWERS\FIRECONTROL\FIREWEAPONHIT2.FX SOUND\OGG\POWERS\FIREEXPLO  

TANKER_MELEE.FIERY_MELEE GREATER_FIRE_SWORD ACTIVATIONFX CUSTOMIZEABLEPOWERS\FIERYMELEE\FIREWEAPON2.FX SOUND\OGG\POWERS\FIRESWORD4  

Is is not any of those? Try replacing them all with a second of silence, then record what's left, and we can help look into it further.

Ok, I am on a brute just to be clear, but I listened through these and I think it is ATOMICBLAST3 that is the offender. I can try silencing that and see if it does the trick. Of course, I am now curious what other powers might use that sound...

9 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

Ok, I am on a brute just to be clear, but I listened through these and I think it is ATOMICBLAST3 that is the offender. I can try silencing that and see if it does the trick. Of course, I am now curious what other powers might use that sound...

Probably half of them. 🤪

• Haha 1
I'm out.

Actually wait...

Something's weird.

When I play the soundfile you linked atomicblast3, I hear the annoying shriek I'm trying to get rid of.
When I use the Atomic Blast power I do NOT hear that sound.

But when I SILENCE atomicblast3 the sound of the explosion of Atomic Blast is getting silenced, even though it's not the same sound as GFS...

So confused...

14 hours ago, Wavicle said:

Actually wait...

Something's weird.

When I play the soundfile you linked atomicblast3, I hear the annoying shriek I'm trying to get rid of.
When I use the Atomic Blast power I do NOT hear that sound.

But when I SILENCE atomicblast3 the sound of the explosion of Atomic Blast is getting silenced, even though it's not the same sound as GFS...

So confused...

Yeah, this kind of thing is more common than you'd expect.

Any one power can borrow SFX from other powers or from creatures, enemy groups, or villains. It may have cut down on the amount of files in the game, but as is obvious, it has it's own problems.

1 hour ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Yeah, this kind of thing is more common than you'd expect.

Any one power can borrow SFX from other powers or from creatures, enemy groups, or villains. It may have cut down on the amount of files in the game, but as is obvious, it has it's own problems.

And if I recall correctly from my peek into the code a year ago, the .FX files set a "duration" for the sound, which if I'm understanding this correctly, means that they can even just use the first part of a sound, and set the duration to kill it after X number of seconds, so they can piecemeal together new sounds by stringing pieces of other sounds. Which I think they've done in a few instances.

I'm out.

• 2 months later

I'm happy to report that I have identified and silenced all the armor toggles for Stone Armor.  I you were going nuts trying to play this because of the confluence of white noise with the insanity of the minerals loop sound effects, this is for you.  If you're wondering why exactly this set is giving you headaches, it's because several of the powers have not just one but two sound loop associated with the power.  There are about 8-10 sound loops playing on top of each other.

I have no idea how to add this to the modder.  But, I've attached the associated files and a description of each sound so you can keep whatever sounds you want.  (See text file for descriptions.)

Stone Armor be Quiet.zip

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later

I've been trying to silence Blazing Aura's loop. I've got the four listed above set to silence (FireSword_loop, aura5 through 7) but it's still making noise sometimes.

I suspect FireSword_loop is incorrect because I couldn't change it to the beep tester. Unfortunately the Rosetta Stone link/attachment no longer works. Can someone either upload it or let me know what the correct files to make Blazing Aura stay quiet are?

57 minutes ago, Almacia said:

Can someone either upload it or let me know what the correct files to make Blazing Aura stay quiet are?

I am hesitant to upload it since it is not my content, but here's what a peek into the data showed me for Blazing Aura:

SOUND\OGG\POWERS\IGNITE2
SOUND\OGG\POWERS\FIRESWORD_LOOP
SOUND\OGG\POWERS\FIREBALL1
SOUND\OGG\POWERS\AURA6
SOUND\OGG\POWERS\AURA5
SOUND\OGG\POWERS\AURA7
SOUND\OGG\THORNS\TORCH2_LOOP

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

I am hesitant to upload it since it is not my content, but here's what a peek into the data showed me for Blazing Aura:

SOUND\OGG\POWERS\IGNITE2
SOUND\OGG\POWERS\FIRESWORD_LOOP
SOUND\OGG\POWERS\FIREBALL1
SOUND\OGG\POWERS\AURA6
SOUND\OGG\POWERS\AURA5
SOUND\OGG\POWERS\AURA7
SOUND\OGG\THORNS\TORCH2_LOOP

Thank you! It was torch2_loop and ignite2 that I needed to catch.

Hi there! I'm hoping to mute the following sounds:

Dark Miasma -> Howling Twilight

Necromancy -> Enchant Undead

Necromancy -> Dark Empowerment

Hoping someone may be able to provide the sound file names for me to use for the silence file. The necromancy upgrades blast my ear off every time I travel through a door and all my pets get rebuffed.

Thank you!

16 hours ago, shadowrex2 said:

Dark Miasma -> Howling Twilight

Necromancy -> Enchant Undead

Necromancy -> Dark Empowerment

These might be:

Enchant Undead and Dark Empowerment

SOUND\OGG\POWERS\DARKWINDUP2

SOUND\OGG\POWERS\MIASMA3 (this unfortunately mutes twilight grasp as well)

Howling Twilight:

SOUND\OGG\POWERS\MIASMABURST
SOUND\OGG\POWERS\MIASMA_LOOP
SOUND\OGG\POWERS\SOULTRANS2

SOUND\OGG\POWERS\DC_ACTIVATION_LOOP

Based on my searching through the list provided here:

Edited by shadowrex2

Anyone have an idea what filename it is to silence Soul Drain?  It isn't that it is a bad sound necessarily, it is just another one of those ones that if you hit multiple targets it amplifies the volume to an insane degree.  It ends up MUCH louder than any other dark melee sound.  It bursts my eardrums every time I use it in a crowd.  Kind of the same issue as the necro zoning upgrade sounds (which I did fix a long while ago thanks to @Solarverse help.)

I tried the Rosetta Stone link but it says it is removed.  People are saying you need to "join the club" to get it, but I'm not seeing any info on how to do that.  Maybe I'm just being dumb.

Edited by Riverdusk