Wayback machine: Fire tanks

Techwright

I was introduced yesterday to a gentleman with whom I will possibly work going forward and was delighted to learn he's an old school City of Heroes player.  He played until "they nerfed the fire tanks".  We didn't have time to talk of it more, but I'm curious what major nerfing of fire tanks occurred.  I'm assuming major, as it drove him from the game.  And if the community can pin down what it was, has it been altered since, possibly in Homecoming?

5 minutes ago, Techwright said:

I was introduced yesterday to a gentleman with whom I will possibly work going forward and was delighted to learn he's an old school City of Heroes player.  He played until "they nerfed the fire tanks".  We didn't have time to talk of it more, but I'm curious what major nerfing of fire tanks occurred.  I'm assuming major, as it drove him from the game.  And if the community can pin down what it was, has it been altered since, possibly in Homecoming?

I assume it was the Max Targets change from i3/4 that destroyed dumpster-herding as a "tactic". 

Just now, Carnifax said:

I assume it was the Max Targets change from i3/4 that destroyed dumpster-herding as a "tactic". 

Hmm, I suppose I could see that, but that affected all tanks.  I gathered from what he was saying it was specific to fire tanks.  I had a fire tank back then, but he was a third-stringer, and I'd not have noticed anything major specific to the breed.  I did notice the "dumpster-herding" nerf on my other tanks.

Burn was nerfed a lot but the big thing was the aggro cap.

But the game is better now for it. You’re allowed to do things on teams now besides waiting for the tank to do all the herding. Gathering a real

herd like we still do in ITF can now be a whole team’s job.

• Thumbs Up 1

Engage @Sovera, the fire tank guru.

'nuff said.

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

4 minutes ago, arcane said:

I’m pretty sure half the players in this game are more or less fiery aura gurus 😉

Fire/MA: the Brunker, and compilation of Fire Armor builds. - Tanker - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

Yeah, there were  a few things that could be considered "fire tank nerfs," I mostly remember Burn causing everything to run away (JUST before I was high enough to pick it up, of course...) early on. But, yeah, it's hard to tell from just that if they mean "fire tank nerfs" or one of the many adjustments to tanks, taunting, etc. Most of the time I hear people (still) complaining about no longer being able to herd whole maps into a dumpster.

(Personally... having been on teams with that going on, I'm glad. Being able to DO stuff was much more fun than being told "Wait here while I herd the map." )

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

My charter main was a Fire/SS. That's him (cloned) over in the pitcher winda. Never felt nerfed, but then, I never farmed either.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Fire Tankers were nerfed so many times and so hard, simply because they were grossly overpowered.

I don't think I even experienced the height of it, having started in the European beta. But I remember my I4 Fire/Ice Tanker. Burn was his attack power. Burn was his SOLE attack power. You literally did not need anything else. Whether you herded 100+ freakshow in a dumpster or let them gather around you normally, literally all you had to do was drop the Ice Patch and Burn in succession, and watch as everything melted in seconds.

It was so ridiculously broken.

There's been a lot of power creep over the years, especially since Homecoming, and it's easy to wonder if the memories we have of being OP would hold up of the current metagame of purpled out T4 incarnates. But I think oldschool Fire Tankers would still be up there, standing shoulder to shoulder with the strong builds of today.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, nihilii said:

Fire Tankers were nerfed so many times and so hard, simply because they were grossly overpowered.

I don't think I even experienced the height of it, having started in the European beta. But I remember my I4 Fire/Ice Tanker. Burn was his attack power. Burn was his SOLE attack power. You literally did not need anything else. Whether you herded 100+ freakshow in a dumpster or let them gather around you normally, literally all you had to do was drop the Ice Patch and Burn in succession, and watch as everything melted in seconds.

There's been a lot of power creep over the years, especially since Homecoming, and it's easy to wonder if the memories we have of being OP would hold up of the current metagame of purpled out T4 incarnates. But I think oldschool Fire Tankers would still be up there, standing shoulder to shoulder with the strong builds of today.

One of my early memories of playing CoH (i am 29 currently, so this must have been around the age of 13 ish) was when my dad heard of the hype around Fire/Ice tanks and his was in hollows and just had picked up burn. He just showed me as he mowed down about 4 or 5 entire mobs that he aggroed from over on the first hill. It was brutal. I have no other memory of Fire tanks from back then, but I can certainly imagine what a lvl 50 Fire/Ice tank could do with burn 6 slotted for damage on perma hasten.

• Like 1

@Black Assassin - Torchbearer

Working with someone who played the game for a few months until they fixed an obviously broken mechanic.  Okay.  Whatever floats your boat. 

personally i am pretty happy there is an agro cap

Edited by Snarky
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, nihilii said:

I may understand a bit better now.  Playing a character for which you literally only use 2 buttons, one control, one attack, might be exciting briefly, but monotony would kick in pretty quickly.

5 hours ago, nihilii said:

The fastest Fire/Ice tanker I knew was doing crazy things like slotting 6 microfilaments in Swift (back when HO’s had higher values). Because yeah, the build was wide open. Burn alone slaughtered entire maps with ease. In spite of all the power creep, An Incarnated Rad/Fire right now is still way slower at clearing the Dreck map than a Fire Tanker was back in the day.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 9:53 AM, InvaderStych said:

Implementation of Burn causing "Afraid?"  Or did it originally make everything run away?

This was the nerf. In the at-launch days, a Fire Tank could go to any zone that had DE Swarms and easily collect XP.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Techwright said:

I may understand a bit better now.  Playing a character for which you literally only use 2 buttons, one control, one attack, might be exciting briefly, but monotony would kick in pretty quickly.

But farming! What are you, some kinda Commie?

😜

• Haha 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

The big nerf to fire tanks was the fear built into burn. The Devs stated that it made no real sense for a mob to keep trying to hit someone while they were on fire. So, those of us on fire tanks would enter our Dreck map comprised of about 45 groups of Tanks, each with a couple of boss tanks that would self-rez so we could burn 'em down again...and as soon as we dropped burn, they'd run away, despite being taunted. Some would fire at range when they could, others would just keep running until you caught them. 

It was a pretty sad day for fire tanks, even those of us who could only farm a little bit with inspiration usage, or help from an emp flying overhead. Suddenly the one power we played and leveled our characters around had a useless power. So, a lot of folks just quit playing, as it was costing $15 a month back then. So, folks voted with their wallets. The Devs eventually got the message and took the fear out - but the damage had been done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2