Captain America: MA or Stj?

Gobbledygook

MA to me is Iron Fist, Batman, etc. StJ is Luke Cage, Wildcat, etc.

Captain America on the other hand is primarily martial arts (jujitsu/judo) and boxing.

Really, its up to you i had a MA/SD scrapper that was fun as hell, and I have a StJ/Nin stalker that is too.

I like MA alittle more though.

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

His first movie would be Super Strength, or *maybe* MA using the alternate animations.  He's fast and strong, but only uses basic moves.  Alt MA gives you nothing but right hands all day.  By the beginning of Cap 2 he's advanced to Street Justice.  Animation-wise it looks most like the blend of boxing and martial arts that he and Batman use.  TV Iron Fist is Kinetic Melee, BTW.  Cap's most recent movie, Avengers 4?

War Mace/Elec Armor.  My god has a hammer.

• Thumbs Up 2

Animation-wise, MA has alternatives that replace 3 powers with punches instead of kicks. The animation itself is a bit lack-luster and feels somewhat slower, but you do get a nice mix of kicks and (just) right hooks--which might work for you since he'll have his shield on his left arm. I have an MA/Shield and it's a fun toon to watch. Street Justice, on the other hand, feels more organic and gritty (also have one with a shield... as well as super strength... so I guess those anecdotes don't help at all). between the 3 shield brawlers, though, I personally prefer MA... then again, I was consciously trying not to get too close to Captain America... my toon feels more like Task Master or Widow when she used the shield. While I can't be sure of your intent, I think Street Justice would be more of what you're looking for.

So TLDR:
MA can be a mix of kicks and punches, but looks like he's had some formal training in some form of martial arts
SS gives a feeling of more brawn, less brains
St.J seems to be the sweet spot for a nice and gritty with just enough finesse

Meta-wise, I'm afraid I don't have the authority to give any semblance of advise on which is better and why.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Depends on what AT. I don't view Cap as a Stalker, but StJ is best there. The case can be made he's a Tank, but StJ's AoEs are on the small side for an AT which greatly benefits from AoEs. I love StJ but might reroll my Tank because of it.  MA is better on a Brute and Tank since Storm Kick offers +Def. While MA only has one AoE, the radius on it is better than StJ's PBAoE. Shield is arguably the best armor going for a Tank. I just don't feel like Cap is MA. I would go StJ/shield Scrapper to get the most out of the +dmg from Shield. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

In the movies, mostly SS or MA(alt), in the comics mostly (not every version, of course) StJ.

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

• 5 weeks later

I like StJ/shield because with a shield on your arm, some of those attacks look like you're using the shield as part of the attack.

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

• 2 weeks later

Why either of these? Why not SS? I very easy picture cap as a SD/SS Tanker, especially with the alt animations putting your left arm to use (the one your shield will be on). Just skip the ground pound and the clap, and either pretend the rock is you shrowing your shield, or just dont take it. Like... Yeah, I get SS is more for "Hulk" or "Superman" but Cap's fights tend to be "I bopped you with the shield, now youre are beateded".

Like, take Jab (as Bright Jab), Punch (as Bright Cross), Haymaker (as Bright), Knockout Blow (as Bright Double-fisted Strike), Rage, Taunt, and now you're smacking fools stupid with your shield ALL the time. You can take Handclap (Bright) and Footstop (bright ground punch) if you can make an excuse for them (handclap can we as simple as your shield having some technohohicky, or magic spell or something).

I dont know. Between the two you picked? Street Justice. It's cooler, and Jab has the two hits, one will be with the shield and I think the cross you get will also be with the shield arm. MA is nice, and a few of the alt animations work, but a LOT of it is kicks, and while Cap can kick just fine, the point of the shield is that he ALSO uses THAT to smack people, which is why the shield is cooler than just a regular plank of wood (it's also painted America flavored, so, that adds style points too).

Plus! As a SD/SS tanker, the only thing that'll kill you is a sniper a mile off  Crowd Control

Resident certified baby

• Steve is your classic 40s fisticuffs hero in Cap America, plus a few extra little Brooklyn moves. Still feels more StJ.
  • By Winter Soldier, he feels a lot more like a trained SHIELD agent with a range of techniques at his disposal - StJ, Fighting, maybe a couple from Speed, Flight, Jumping. Probably Natasha's doing. Noticeably they're all explosive groundfighting and fast-returns, keeping weight very central, rather than big (over)reaches. Nothing really showy / Bruce Lee style like the higher MA showpieces.
  • Whereas SuperPeggy behaves more like a Shield/SS tank with a couple of Fighting/Jumping moves (and maybe Sands Of Mu or Flurry), short jabs mixed with big swings and haymakers, plus chucking bikes, Hulk-ing trucks, very much out front and at'em.
Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

The alternate MA animations look like they were designed by an alien who has no arms or hands and has only ever read about this whole "punching" thing from an old book. They're so awkward that I can't use them without laughing.

If you want a martial artist who uses his fists, either complement MA's original animations with the Fighting pool, or just go Street Justice to begin with.

• 3 weeks later

Rezzing this thread a little: anyone tried any test builds for these concepts?

I'm quietly building out Agent Atwell as a SS/Shield Brute and having a lot of fun as far as L14.

(Though I was tempted by SJ on Brute, because combos.)

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

I have a StJ/Shield Tank and love it!  StJ is a very fun set.  2 AOEs plus a 3rd from Shield Charge.  With the Tanker buffs, the radii are huge - love it!  However, even with end redux in all my powers, stamina slotted, and a Miracle in Health, I have struggled with endurance issues all the way up until I could take Conserve Power from epics.  I guess powers recharge fast and I just burn through my endurance.  🙂  

I also have been leveling up an MA/SR scrapper - old school, I know!!  😄  Felt the need to go retro for a bit.  I forgot how fun it is, despite it being all single target except for Dragon's Tail.  I also DID NOT do the alternate animations.  I just didn't like them.  I was tempted on the one for Crippling Axe Kick, but in the end, just wasn't feeling it.  So I did keep the toon completely "old school."  hahaha.  

StJ actually has small AoEs. They recharge decently quick though.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."