We are a game of old people. And it is our duty to make sure the old tongue does not die.

DougGraves

On 1/23/2022 at 12:06 PM, DougGraves said:

We should be using our leet powers to pwn mobs.  

What gamer lingo has been forgotten that deserves to be restored?

mob = mobile game element, typically an individual "monster" that moves and interacts with players and the game world. "Mob" is singular.

On 1/23/2022 at 12:06 PM, DougGraves said:

We should be using our leet powers to pwn mobs. 

On 1/23/2022 at 12:27 PM, The_Warpact said:

937 0FF mY L4Wn w1Pp3r 5N4pp3r!

On 1/23/2022 at 1:21 PM, Lunchmoney said:

What? I must be too old.

--. . - / --- ..-. ..-. / -- -.-- / .-.. .- .-- -. / .-- .. .--. .--. . .-. / ... -. .- .--. .--. . .-. -.-.--

• Haha 2

On 1/24/2022 at 10:21 AM, WanderingAries said:

I was under the assumption that leet was simply slang so that they could get away with stuff or look cool. "Hey, I can speak internet!"

That is literally one of the recognised reasons in linguistics for how young people drive language change. Young people constantly make up or iterate new language, often as a group identifier, most of it falls off and dies almost immediately, but a few bits and pieces stick and they carry it into their older age where their language largely fossilizes and becomes the new standard.

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

8 hours ago, SaintD said:

That is literally one of the recognised reasons in linguistics for how young people drive language change. Young people constantly make up or iterate new language, often as a group identifier, most of it falls off and dies almost immediately, but a few bits and pieces stick and they carry it into their older age where their language largely fossilizes and becomes the new standard.

"And knowing is half the battle!"

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Techwright said:

--. . - / --- ..-. ..-. / -- -.-- / .-.. .- .-- -. / .-- .. .--. .--. . .-. / ... -. .- .--. .--. . .-. -.-.--

As kids watching the olde Road Runner & Coyote cartoons the trains would always signal the letter Q (- - . -)

Being older, it's not MC at all but train code using the horn to signal a crossing.

This has been your moment of "Nemeroff's Useless Knowledge."

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

Not 100% on this, but I am fairly certain the only reason leet speak existed in this game was of because players not being very creative with names. We didn't see leet speak in this game until around i6 or i7 if memory serves. They were so desperate to get that generic name that was already taken, that after trying,,

The Shadow
TheShadow

xTheShadowx
XxThe ShadowxX
Xx The Shadow xX
T H E  S H A D O W

...and any other variation just to find they were all taken because there were several other desperate players who were also not very creative, they decided to start adding numbers in place of letters to get that name they wanted, IE...

7h3 5h@d0w

The style of writing was thus born out of desperation.

Edited by Solarverse
  • Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Not 100% on this, but I am fairly certain the only reason leet speak existed in this game was of because players not being very creative with names. We didn't see leet speak in this game until around i6 or i7 if memory serves. They were so desperate to get that generic name that was already taken, that after trying,,

The Shadow
TheShadow

xTheShadowx
XxThe ShadowxX
Xx The Shadow xX
T H E  S H A D O W

...and any other variation just to find they were all taken because there were several other desperate players who were also not very creative, they decided to start adding numbers in place of letters to get that name they wanted, IE...

7h3 5h@d0w

The style of writing was thus born out of desperation.

The Freakshow beg to differ.  Leet speak has been in the game since Issue 0.

31 minutes ago, Apparition said:

The Freakshow beg to differ.  Leet speak has been in the game since Issue 0.

Yes, but I don't recall seeing players using leet speek until after the generic names started drying up. Like I said, I am not 100% on any of this, but this is how I remember it.

1 hour ago, Solarverse said:

IMO, there was a certain segment of the playerbase that were trying to embrace the kind of hacker/cyberpunk culture that used such naming conventions...

Just now, biostem said:

IMO, there was a certain segment of the playerbase that were trying to embrace the kind of hacker/cyberpunk culture that used such naming conventions...

You're probably right, I just can't ever recall seeing leet speak names until after I had been playing for quite some time.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Yes, but I don't recall seeing players using leet speek until after the generic names started drying up. Like I said, I am not 100% on any of this, but this is how I remember it.

The first place I remember seeing it was on MUDs in the mid 80s.  

Edit: I think I played my first MUD in 1987.

Edited by Ignatz the Insane

4 hours ago, Ignatz the Insane said:

The first place I remember seeing it was on MUDs in the mid 80s.  

Edit: I think I played my first MUD in 1987.

It existed in the 80's among the hacking community. I'm just saying I don't recall seeing it in game (outside the Freakshow) until the game was well within it's second year. But, my memory of the events is old as dirt, so take it with a grain of salt, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1