We are a game of old people. And it is our duty to make sure the old tongue does not die.

DougGraves

1 hour ago, DougGraves said:

We should be using our leet powers to pwn mobs.  

53 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

937 0FF mY L4Wn w1Pp3r 5N4pp3r!

What? I must be too old.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

Some of us were able to chat with full words while playing, n nvr hd 2 uz l33t.

Most team chat I recall from Live was... borderline literate. Best memories are of kick-ass teams that could keep up with a witty conversation.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

10 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

Most team chat I recall from Live was... borderline literate. Best memories are of kick-ass teams that could keep up with a witty conversation.

Of course the kids that never got invited to play with the cool kids would say that, ya nerd!

• Haha 2

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

I do miss the art of witty banter! Most of my global friends became so because they could turn a team wipe into a comedy festival.

(Post-Carnie wipe: "Does this carpet taste funny to you?")

What bugs me are the terms which have changed meaning:

In the ancient tongue, MOB stood for Mobile Object, i.e., a foe or monster.

Nowadays it's used for a group of foes. Or a Family mish, I guess.

I certainly don't miss the spam:

$$$$****MIlliOns of gold for DOZZens of US$$dollers!!!! pm iupashghufdghipuhf for details!****$$$$$

(Never did find out the gold-to-inf exchange rate, hope it was worth it.)

Edited by DoctorDitko
just for fun
  • Like 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

18 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

I always thought leet was more about making it hard for adults to read, than being faster to type? I dunno I never used it either. I went from hunt-and-peck at age 13 to typing 90+ wpm by age 15 from chatting online in mIRC & Station8 Gargoyles/MiniClan chat. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Coloden.png

6 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

I certainly don't miss the spam:

$$$$****MIlliOns of gold for DOZZens of US$$dollers!!!! pm iupashghufdghipuhf for details!****$$$$$

(Never did find out the gold-to-inf exchange rate, hope it was worth it.)

Based on the AH, it's ~1250 inf per unit of gold. ^.^ #biginflife

• Haha 3

Back in the i5 days of hours leveling in the Hollows, My first-ever character joined on to my first-ever Cavern of Transcendence run.  This was, of course, back when lowbies were weak and enhancements were rare and you had to fight all the way to the door and hope nobody got stuck.  But as we pushed through the mobs Trolls in the tunnels, my little lowbie Regen Scrapper started feeling more confident, and ran just a little too far to the front and discovered some of the Trolls have bombs.

Now as far as why this is relevant to this thread, it's because one of my teammates came up close gave me a wakie, and sent a Tell alongside it, dropping on me quite possibly the most insightful thing I've heard in the game, with linguistic mastery that I've seen duplicated only perhaps by Shakespeare.  That one Tell that put everything in perspective?

Spoiler

r dum

Why can't kids these days be that poetic?

• Like 1
  • Haha 16
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Always type complete words with proper grammar. The only contraction allowed would be "M'lady"

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

I do miss the art of witty banter! Most of my global friends became so because they could turn a team wipe into a comedy festival.

(Post-Carnie wipe: "Does this carpet taste funny to you?")

We collected gum wrappers and 1909 S VDB pennies, mostly. But yeah, a team that could carry on a comedy routine while KA&TM was a real joy.

• Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

4 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

Of course the kids that never got invited to play with the cool kids would say that, ya nerd!

Even my kids never used it. Of course, they got into serious gaming teaming with the 'rents on CoX... at 6 or 7, I think.

As for invited... still a bit miffed that no one ever invited me to the secret servers. I wasn't exactly anonymous or hard to find. So. Mrrph.

• Thumbs Up 2

A friend that I ran with back in the day used to say that Sappers stole his mojo. Same with Carnies when they died. They stole Mojo. Likewise, the Empathy could give you Mojo when you were sorely needing it.

• Like 2
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

8 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

937 0FF mY L4Wn w1Pp3r 5N4pp3r!

I feel both old and impressed that I can read that.

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

7 hours ago, kwsapphire said:

I always thought leet was more about making it hard for adults to read, than being faster to type? I dunno I never used it either. I went from hunt-and-peck at age 13 to typing 90+ wpm by age 15 from chatting online in mIRC & Station8 Gargoyles/MiniClan chat. 🙂 

I was under the assumption that leet was simply slang so that they could get away with stuff or look cool. "Hey, I can speak internet!"

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

10 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Personally, I much prefer it when folks type actual words. Numbers don't belong in the middle of words. They just don't. They never have.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

I was under the assumption that leet was simply slang so that they could get away with stuff or look cool. "Hey, I can speak internet!"

It was originally a "code" for the earliest internet users in order to keep everyone else who wasn't an OG from knowing what they were talking about. Obviously it wasn't particularly strong code because it was fairly quickly adopted by kids and teens who wanted to look like they've been on the internet for a long time. Eventually it just got associated with script kiddies and other children who were trying too hard to fit in until it became a relic of the "old internet ways" and only ever used as a joke or reference.

That said, I was always the weird kid that typed complete sentences with proper grammar in the middle of a fight and I attribute my WPM to that. You still see people today trying to shame those who use proper sentence structure online, usually to the tune of "this isn't English class so who cares" or something similar.

• Thumbs Up 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

19 minutes ago, ForeverLaxx said:

this isn't English class so who cares"

It isn't but if you ( "you" in general as opposed to "you, @ForeverLaxx" ) want to be understood - and misconstruing text is a major thing for accidentally causing flame wars or what have you, then I'm all for full text.  A typo is a typo. We can ignore those 😉  The rest?  Ah, whatever. 

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

No, let's not...it was dumb then and it's dumb now. Some things you just don't bring back, L33T 5P33K should remain buried just like pants from the 70's and 80's. I rank this in there with Bell Bottoms and Parachute Pants. Once you get rid of cock roaches, you don't purposely bring them back, you don't bring back a used port-o-potty and you don't bring back the turd you flushed an hour ago, therefore you don't bring back l33t 5p33k.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, DougGraves said:

What gamer lingo has been forgotten that deserves to be restored?

I don't know, Daddo, but sorting out some hip gamer jive from the wayback looks like it will be a gas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

10 hours ago, Ukase said:

Personally, I much prefer it when folks type actual words. Numbers don't belong in the middle of words. They just don't. They never have.

Tell it to the Fr3aksH0w!

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.