Incorporate NFT and cypto and make COH the game it was

So i know this will get a bad gut reaction from many of you.

But as someone who had an entire life in city of heroes back in the day.  Who understands a lot of the mechanics and issues in development its hit over time...  A cryptocurrency using the in game currency and items already there could be a MAAASSSIVVEEEEEE boon to the playerbase and continued development.

Im not sure if youve heard the term metaverse lately.  Its mostly buzzwordy.  But it has been something many of us enjoyed for many years inside of CoH.  That world where we were heroes first learning to fly or super jump.  Going to fight gangsters in a haunted forest.  Hanging out with other people under the globe.  That is a metaverse.  And it was a really cool one.

The thing thats happening now is those are being taken seriously.  Including financially.  

All I'm saying is if you take the currenct CoH game and make influence a cryptocurrency that could be bought and sold on ethereum/polygon.  And also all of the upgrades you can get into NFTs that could be bought and sold.. Characters themselves turned into NFTs.. Special christimas items.. NFTs.. And find a way to make the economy circular.. Like the need to pay influence for missions or taskforces or something.  It wouldnt take much to make the economics work becuase of how fun the gameplay is.

This would bring the potential for a developers fund that could bring growth back to the game in a major way as well.  It would put the financial power of a large corporation back into the development of the game through simple things like small transaction fees going to devs. 

This game has a special place in my heart.  So i get excited to think about how it would be really complelling in a metaverse style way.  Imagine its your job to train new people to play.  Or run task forces.. Like people will pay you essentially real  money.  This game is already compelling enough in its world to host something like this.  I hope this idea finds open ears because I think it could be groundbreaking to build a decentralized fully functional econmoic world inside this game that would perpetuate its development and the prosperity of its players

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 24

The whole point of "rogue servers" is just that, they fly under the radar to a degree and the parent company is aware of them.

That being said they are tolerated as long as certain things don't happen and one of them is making profit. Your idea is a signal flare shooting up in the night sky. 

Wonder why we don't go play2pay, subs, or microtransactions? The above reasoning.

In addition you're trying to take a whole playerbase and do a large conversion into something probably 90% don't even understand.

I don’t PUG because most of the people don't even know how to play their toon correctly and you want to implement something that would drastically change the game. 

No thanks.

• Like 2

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

48 minutes ago, rowingthrough said:

All I'm saying is if you take the currenct CoH game and make influence a cryptocurrency that could be bought and sold on ethereum/polygon

The HC team is still trying to negotiate an agreement with NC, and aren't legally permitted to engage in this kind of activity.  Additionally, the HC team has stated, publicly and adamantly, that they are opposed to RMT transactions (which, consequently, tend to be accompanied by sales spam, pleas for farm-spots (even when the player isn't farming), begging for in-game currency, and inflationary reactions in the economy, all of which would be undesirable).

Your proposal would, at this point in time, either result in this rogue server being shut down permanently, or the development team abandoning the project.  Likely, both.

Edit:  And considering that merits are the base currency on the HC servers, not inf*, and that merits are so easy to acquire that one can collect nearly 250 without engaging in any combat or using any powers, the monetary value of inf* would likely be unappealing as a tradeable cryptocurrency, and it would decrease further as more people engaged in RMT with inf*, making it even less appealing as a long-term investment, or even a short-term windfall strategy.  The only way to increase its value would be to remove or tightly restrict merit acquisition, which would, ultimately, revert the game's economy to the state it was in when the servers shut down... and that would piss off a lot of players, as well as make the game largely inaccessible to all but the handful who spent real money to purchase inf*.  The demise of these servers would be inevitable at that point, even if the HC team could be coerced into continue supporting them (they can't, don't bother trying).

Edited by Luminara
  • Like 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Like. 

There are only so many words in the English language that could paint a picture of how deeply, deeply stupid this idea, and the entire concept of NFTs, are at their very core. 

Away with you, crypto bro, behind and take your snake oil Matt Damon bullshit elsewhere. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

25 minutes ago, Aurora_Girl said:

Like. 

There are only so many words in the English language that could paint a picture of how deeply, deeply stupid this idea, and the entire concept of NFTs, are at their very core. 

Away with you, crypto bro, behind and take your snake oil Matt Damon bullshit elsewhere. 

Tell us how you really feel.

• Haha 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

Let's keep the scammy fake money and even scammier NFT stuff as far away from here as possible.

I'll keep my imaginary money purely in game where I don't have to pretend it's anything *but* imaginary.

"Imagine it's your job to train people to play?" Hell no. I already *have* a job. I gripe about it a bit, but I like my job. I also like being off the clock, and playing for the sake of playing. I'll answer questions in help because I can help someone, not because I need to be doing it.

In short, the only NFT I see being "minted" with this suggestion is the reaction No F'ing Thanks.

Edited by Greycat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Unlike the rest of you, I am not even going to pretend to understand the OP’s proposal and will thus apply the confused reaction accordingly.

I own a tiny little bit of crypto for fun, but the fanatical crowd that sees it in everything is something else to behold. For example, when I eat dinner, I don’t really fantasize about one day ordering an NFT image of a cheeseburger and consuming it with my imagination through a blockchain based metaverse.

• Haha 1

Not going to add to the well-deserved roasting, but try to keep it respectful. Don't want the topic locked too soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

I had written a long response, some of which pointed out the sheer amount of waste of power even one NFT needs in order to continue to exist, and go on to chat about cryptocurrencies. Deleted now because most of the above simply states my ultimate end answer. No thanks.

• Like 2

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Ordinarily, I try to participate in online fora solely for informational purposes, or to try in my own feeble way to spread some positivity. If you don't have something nice to say, et cetera.

But I read the OP, and then I sat for a bit. And then I logged in, and gave it the only reaction I've ever employed, a thumbs-down. I know! It's shockingly rude. But the combination of a ready-made, however imperfect, metric of unpopularity right there on the post and the sheer bottom-of-the-barrel repugnance of the idea convinced me that now was the time to break my emoji silence.

And then I read some more.

And I thought: Is there some possibility, however remote, that someone might take this idea seriously, even for a moment? What if the cascade of disapproval somehow isn't overwhelming enough? What if this is the case in which the mask-wearing madman has been set on fire, shot five times, dropped from a window, and somehow STILL GETS UP for one final stab because I, standing by with an unused revolver or a small container of gasoline and a cigarette lighter, thought, "No, he's dead enough," wishing to save my gasoline and/or bullets for some unknown future disaster? We would all regret that, I think, and I'd certainly feel guilty. 

So I say, let the gasoline rain down upon this misshapen madman of an idea! Let the lighters be flung upon its perforated, hideous corpse! Let its charred remnants be pumped full of bullets by anyone with bullets to pump! Let it be reduced to ashes which are then ground with a mortar and pestle into a fine paste, separated into component chemicals with a centrifuge, separately sealed with nuclear-waste protocol, and shot into space in a trajectory that will eventually, on some happy day, cause these misbegotten molecules to fall into the sun and, let us hope, find a productive use by granting us a few picoseconds more of fusion time.

/jranger.

--K

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 3