Not sure if this has been asked: PvP on/off switch

I don't think that's a problem now- at least not on Everlasting server.  Out of curiosity, I logged on and went into Recluse's Victory.  There was no one there.  I defeated all the turrets, got the temp power and badge and logged off without encountering a single player.  🤷‍♂️

• Thumbs Up 1

Well... I did say it was a holdover....

Edit: Look at it this way: the fervent anti-PvP sentiment is a gut reaction burned into some of us from consistent exposure to bad apples. If you go to get apples and consistently get bad ones, you stop trying to get apples and have a bad reaction when anyone offers you one.

Edited by Rudra
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from on that. 

To the OP (and others that have had similarly bad experiences) I would try venturing into the PvP zones just to see if the problem you used to experience is still the same.  I feel  like things may be much improved since the old days on live.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cancrusher said:

There's no actual cost to being defeated in PvP, is there?  I mean, outside of the debt accrual penalty, which is ultimately meaningless since you can recoup all of that in about 5 minutes on a +4 mission team.

You could be like 95% done with collecting a shivan. Get all the fragments, working your way through the turrets on a firebase, allllmost done and ganked dead, lose all progress and have to start over.  I've never spent much time in Warburg, but I suspect something similar there where you allllllmost got the nuke and bam, dead.

I think that's your realistic worst case here. 

Of the two times I died to PvP, one was in Bloody Bay as I started to collect meteor shards. (the other was Recluse's Victory)

I left and came back at 3:00 am and got it done without interference.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The answer is no, so quit asking and move on.

I honestly do not understand "anxiety" that people feel on a game *cue the meltdown when dad takes away the Xbox videos*.

I honestly wonder how people survive rl fights.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

7 hours ago, Cancrusher said:

There's no actual cost to being defeated in PvP, is there?  I mean, outside of the debt accrual penalty, which is ultimately meaningless since you can recoup all of that in about 5 minutes on a +4 mission team.

On the other hand, I've never PvP'ed, so maybe there are additional death penalties that I'm not aware of?  🤔

There's no additional death penalty.

58 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

I honestly do not understand "anxiety" 

You should have stopped here and left out the quotes.  I do understand anxiety and get where the ops wife is coming from.  In this case however, I think @MTeague is correct.  Despite a bit of anxiety, I ventured into the PvP zones on my badger late at night and got all of them unmolested on Torchbearer.  I saw exactly one other person and they seemed to be badge collecting themselves and we left each other alone. 

So, my advice to the op is find a time late in the day and badge hunt on Torchbearer (or another quiet late night server) and you should be fine.  

Edit: I should note late night for me was after 11pm West Coast time.

Edited by Ignatz the Insane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, AlabasterKnight said:

The option to disable PvP.

The Option to disable PvP is to not go into a PvP zone. Heck, the only way to ENABLE PvP is to go to a PvP zone.

Though seriously, in all the times that I have gamed in PvP zones since I joined Homecoming, I have run into NO villains in PVP (no Heroes for that matter).

One night I must have had a character get like 6-10 PvP badges (seriously it might have been more between the Explore, fighting turrets and gaining control, it was crazy) in Recluse Victory within like 1-2 hours.

Are you really getting defeated all that often in PvP?

Do you really deserve PvP badges if you don't actually PvP? (Did I deserve PvP badges when there wasn't anyone to PvP with?)

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

3 hours ago, aethereal said:

There's no additional death penalty.

@Cancrusher

Other than the humiliation and rage-fits associated with being owned by another player, if you let that kind of thing get to you.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76116b04cfce7ad123e12b

... and maybe destroying some of your own computer equipment if you have low impulse control ...

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

7 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

I mean, I get what you're saying. I know a lot of people who could stand to toughen up and realize some things they get worked up over, are just not even remotely important.

On the other hand.... I'm 51 now. The last time I was in an actual real life fight, I was probably... 11 or 12? 

I've done sparring in martial arts class. I've done the occasional bout vs another student the same way. But that's controlled, safe, you know who you're practicing against. They're friends or at worst fellow students/colleagues. You may get some adrenilin going from competitive spirit / pride. But it would not come even remotely close to an actual FOR REAL fight, where you don't know if the other guys is just looking to assert dominance or beat you down, or even kill you. Perhaps you're in the military and have seen combat duty? Perhaps you live in a much more rough-and-tumble area than I do, and ending up in an actual fistfight or worse is a fact of life for you. I don't know. But I don't think it's fair to expect most people to have sustained regular experience with real life fights.

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

In a real fight, you aren't worried about fairness or having fun. You're trying to not be put in the hospital or morgue. In actual combat, you don't have time to even think beyond who or what is shooting at you. And even at that, there are people who break down in combat and have to be "walked" through it by their comrades to survive. The unit/team pulls together to survive without concern for anything beyond their group survival.

Now, in a game, it is the exact opposite. You have ample time to think about if something is fair or if you are having fun. There is no imminent actual threat. There is no fight or flight response drowning out the trivial matters around you. The trivial matters then greatly affect your ability to have fun, and to have fun is why you are playing the game.

The answer to the OP is still no, and scary as it may seem as one of the people you are criticizing, I agree it should be no. At least after the prolonged argument/explanation thrown at me in the last big PvP thread I was in.

Video games are not real. The immediate effect of how a game may affect a person is. Comparing how people react to a game as opposed to how they may survive a real fight makes absolutely no sense.

• Thanks 4

My comparison which going back on, I should have explained better.

I do not understand anxiety in a game, rl yes I get it. 

I deem anxiety you might feel to a rl fight not a game fight. Hence why I was saying if you feel anxiety in a game how would you react to a rl one?

We've all been in them whether it be in school or whatever. That's what I was trying to say. I don't get it.

To clue you in on maybe some understanding about me I have fought my whole life, I *almost* left for a certain thing thats in the news everyday. So pvp for me in a game isn't anything and that's the disconnect between us.

So sorry for derailing the thread off track. Carry on.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

1 hour ago, Krimson said:

If I cared at all about badges, I'd just charge in and get it done. Odds are no one is there, and if someone is, unless they don't have a life, they have to sleep sometime. 😄

I went to Warburg to get a nuke. I wandered around without knowing exactly what I was doing. I was there for at least an hour. I saw one other person, AFK farming a damage or perhaps a mez badge against a Toxic Tarantula. I left them alone.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I will not state a position on this exact proposal, it would be nice to up the level of Mobs in the red zones (and have a contingent around the helicopter) so that you have fewer players waiting by the helicopter to grief players.

• Confused 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

11 minutes ago, Zepp said:

While I will not state a position on this exact proposal, it would be nice to up the level of Mobs in the red zones (and have a contingent around the helicopter) so that you have fewer players waiting by the helicopter to grief players.

Someone's waiting by the helicopters? Doesn't that require someone else to actually be in the zone?

Also, there are insta-kill drones.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Anyone that is interested in getting these rewards should just be happy that, given the current state of the game, its trivially easy. You were supposed to face the risk of fighting other players. That risk is mostly absent now. If the devs were going to do anything regarding pvp zones, it should be something to benefit players who are actually looking to pvp. Not soothing the anxiety of people who want it to be even easier to get the goodies.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wavicle said:

Why not ask for a "PvE Off" flag while you're at it? No mobs will appear in ANY zone you enter.

/s

Honestly, a more ... equivalent flag would be "Invasion off." They interrupt people trying to get to missions, do hunts, etc. Being able to turn them off while you try to get to a GM or zone event, or collect exploration badges? That would be handy. You could do it without zombies spawning everywhere or getting blasted by a dropship, regardless of how anyone else in the zone felt. People have complained about having to wait out invasions or go do things elsewhere while they were going on in the past, as well, just like they complain about PVPers in PVP zones.

Yet somehow this never gets asked for...

(Obviously not a serious suggestion.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 3/19/2022 at 12:35 AM, Wavicle said:

Why not ask for a "PvE Off" flag while you're at it? No mobs will appear in ANY zone you enter.

/s

That's something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread - the PvE mobs are waaaay more difficult due to the effects of diminishing returns on players. Thought you had 45% defense to all before entering a PvP zone or an Arena match? Say hello to 28% defense to all now, not to mention scaled down resists, damage, accuracy, hold time, and the list goes on.

I'd even wager that the diminishing returns on players in PvP are a numerically more severe constraint than the options provided in a Master of Aeon runs.

Also, no this to suggestion.

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

On 3/17/2022 at 7:33 PM, Rudra said:

Disclaimer: 90+% of the PvP'ers I met were childish pricks and trolls.

This has been my experience from other MMOs; in an MMO with open-world PvP, the overwhelming majority of the PvP-focused players seem to be придурки for whom the sole measure of their "leet skillz" as a gamer is how fast their level-capped combat monster in BiS gear can gank low-level characters fresh out of the starting areas who have no chance of even damaging them in return.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, srmalloy said:

This has been my experience from other MMOs; in an MMO with open-world PvP, the overwhelming majority of the PvP-focused players seem to be придурки for whom the sole measure of their "leet skillz" as a gamer is how fast their level-capped combat monster in BiS gear can gank low-level characters fresh out of the starting areas who have no chance of even damaging them in return.

That hasn't been my experience in other games. And this game doesn't have open-world pvp. So are you disparaging other types of players in order to start a flame war or what?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, battlewraith said:

That hasn't been my experience in other games. And this game doesn't have open-world pvp. So are you disparaging other types of players in order to start a flame war or what?

It has been my experience in other games. It has also been my experience in CoX when it was Live. Just because something does not happen to you, does not mean it does not happen to others. Please do not try to make this a war. Thank you.

Edit: Well, the max level in end game gear hunting starting players is not my experience in CoX. That clarification does need to be made. The max level characters exemplared down with all their final enhancements? Yes, but at least everyone is at the same level. Just not the same competence or preparation.

Edited by Rudra
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

It has been my experience in other games. It has also been my experience in CoX when it was Live. Just because something does not happen to you, does not mean it does not happen to others. Please do not try to make this a war. Thank you.

This is a suggestion thread. I don't think the intent was to give you a platform to complain  about 90% of a group of players being childish pricks and trolls, whether you believe that to be true or not. I suggest you stick to the topic. He was referencing open world pvp in other games. This game does not have open world pvp. I suggest he stick to the topic as well. 

I was basically asking him what he hopes to accomplish with his sweeping generalizations about the overwhelming majority of a certain kind of player. I think that's pretty obviously a bad road to go down. 

• Thumbs Down 1