Powersets that are just dandy...

I have made my fair share of post about what I think are wrong with particular powersets.

To compensate for that I would like to have a discussion about powersets that are just fine, not in need of any major adjustments.

For example:

Fire blast

Ice blast

Water blast

Time manipulation

5 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

None of them

For example:  every power that involves a flip in the animation in order to justify the long activation time needs to have the flip removed and replaced with the character looking ahead sarcastically and nonchalantly making a "wanking" motion with his/her/huge hand for 2.87 seconds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Who run Bartertown?

Claws is amazing on scrappers and tankers,  but brutes and stalkers need follow up with claws.

I also feel like staff is in a great spot. Everyone likes to butch about its low dmg but its middle of the pack. It has great utility though, and overall is fun and flows well. I just wish we didnt have to breakdance for the aoe attack, and had an alternate animation we could choose.

• Thumbs Up 1

Energy Melee, go all out and play into it's niche of Single Target damage by making an Energy Melee Stalker, at high levels of recharge I rotate Total Focus, Energy Transfer and Assassin's Strike and every one of those usually hits anywhere from 800 - 2000+, depending on a lot of factors of course.

Plant Domination, so fun. My latest character has perma carrion creepers, recharges in 2 minutes, is around for 2 minutes- I've learned it's an invisible pet that spawns the creepers. I think Carrion Creepers might well be the most fun ability in the whole game, it's just so satisfying to see an entire group of enemies just get swarmed by these things.

Dual Pistols, Equilibrium edgelords apply here. Fun powerset, I imagine at high recharge levels it's really fun, I think it needs to have it's ammo types feel more impactful/meaningful though, they're pretty meh. Still has some of the best animation work in the game, that's why it stands out.

Katana, underrated, extremely so. At high levels of recharge in group content you can just spam Golden Dragonfly and Soaring Dragon and those crits hit so damn hard, as hard as Energy Melee's Energy Transfer and Total Focus, it has a very fast and fluid attack chain out of group content, I imagine it's DPS actually higher than Energy due to some of Energy's longer casting times. Katana has the closest feel to typical MMO's for me, because activation times are quick, from my experience no other powerset really has the same feeling as Katana, it's very responsive.

These are my favorites!

Edited by Latex
  • Like 1

Mastermind's Bots set is always a fun toy to pull out and run around with. 

I've had no complaints about with Grav on both a Dominator and Controller.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

How do we determine what 'fine as is' means.

If katana is 'fine as is' when you have a super amount of recharge, then is it really?

Is bots 'fine as is' when the attacks have an endurance cost way too high for the damage they do? Its the same for all the MM attacks. I see no reason the end cost was cranked up so high.

Fire blast is hot stuff. 

Seismic Blast is pretty solid. 

Energy Melee is really powerful. 

Martial Arts kicks A**. 

Street Fighting can take care of itself just fine. 

Shield can withstand a charge.  

Claws and Dual Blades make the cut. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Earth Control rocks

Trick Arrow is sharp

Dark Miasma is lights out

• Haha 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

4 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

Gravity is good as is Storm.

Storm is better. Wormhole's 3.0 cast time is abysmal.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Currently I'm playing a Rad/Devices blaster which probably sits here. Two happy middle of the road sets working together happily. 

Although Rads snipe is the most fun snipe I've come across so far. 

On the other hand the toxic beach ball is maddening. Is that really a 1.67 animation? Feels 4 times longer.

23 minutes ago, Carnifax said:

Is that really a 1.67 animation? Feels 4 times longer.

The travel time to the target isn't part of the animation (you can move while its happening) and damage is determined before it occurs. That said, it can definitely take 5-10 seconds before the target is hit and the orange numbers show up, particularly if the target is running away.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

5 minutes ago, Uun said:

The travel time to the target isn't part of the animation (you can move while its happening) and damage is determined before it occurs. That said, it can definitely take 5-10 seconds before the target is hit and the orange numbers show up, particularly if the target is running away.

This is my issue with bean rifle. In already well into my next shot before my previous shows up, and so it often feels like I'm missing all the time cause I never know which numbers I'm seeing are from which shot I took.

1 hour ago, Without_Pause said:

Storm is better. Wormhole's 3.0 cast time is abysmal.

Tactics, my friend tactics. While the group is dealing with a horde and the ole tank is a tankin. I like to wormhole the next mob on the tanks location to keep the fun going.

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

2 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

Tactics, my friend tactics. While the group is dealing with a horde and the ole tank is a tankin. I like to wormhole the next mob on the tanks location to keep the fun going.

So get caught taking alpha strike while stuck in a 3 second cast time? There are also times where a map layout would make this difficult if not impossible. There's simply no justifiable reason for a set's standard AoE mezz to take that long. Sure, it is Earth control, but that takes all of 1 sec.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

20 hours ago, Uun said:

I actually love that you can throw Neutron Bomb from a distance and then run into the middle of the mob and Irradiate by the time the first attack hits them.

17 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

So get caught taking alpha strike while stuck in a 3 second cast time? There are also times where a map layout would make this difficult if not impossible. There's simply no justifiable reason for a set's standard AoE mezz to take that long. Sure, it is Earth control, but that takes all of 1 sec.

Wormhole is a LOT fancier than just “a set’s standard AoE mez”. I’d say the stun is little more than a secondary effect.